Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 6 1 ... LastLast
    Master Guru
    Items Dark SoulsDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover

Do you feel bad about being a pirate?

I know I do. I've just stumbled upon some articles where it is said that companies lay off hundreds of employees as a result of piracy. So we're basically taking peoples' jobs by doing what we're doing... Be it movies, music, etc. I'd definitely buy everything legally if only I had the money to do so. Problem is, I don't.

What is your opinion on this?

Elite Sage
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DS
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Companies should start having better business and pricing models. Heaven will burn in hell the day I pay (for example) $40 5 years after New Super Mario Bros comes out or nearly $20 USD for a Blu Ray down here. Oh, hell no.
    |My Playfire|My Deviantart|
    - SIG BY MY SISTER-

Super Elite
    $40 is cheap for a video game. And $20 us cheap for a Blu-Ray. People only complain about the prices of digital entertainment bcuz they know the cheap alternative is free (piracy). Nobody seems to complain about the $600 TV they bought for HD gaming and yet complain about a $20 movie. Meh
    Last edited by Inzane2050; 12-27-2011 at 02:19.
    私は日本語がわかります。図書館で読みます。ビール飲みます。

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    I only pirate music, don't really care about that industry though..the idea of paying EVERY single song I own seems absurd to me.

I will never pirate a movie or game though, partly because I am going into those industries and also because I feel they put a lot more effort into their work than some musicians.

EDIT: However, I definitely pirate less these days because I pay for a Spotify subscription.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Super Elite
    Items User name style
    Nope, I don't feel bad about it at all.
    Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8GHz | Nvidia 660 ti | 6 GB Corsair Xms 1333 Mhz | 1 TB Seagate HDD | 250 GB WD HDD | Windows 7 Ultimate |

6. Likes F34R likes this post
    ERC1980
    I don't pirate.

I give my hard earned dollar to those who work their asses off to make a good product

only selfish individuals pirate

8. Likes unicron7, .RAID3N. likes this post
    Super Elite
    Words
    Last edited by Inzane2050; 12-27-2011 at 03:14.

Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-The-Rave View Post
    I only pirate music, don't really care about that industry though..the idea of paying EVERY single song I own seems absurd to me.

I will never pirate a movie or game though, partly because I am going into those industries and also because I feel they put a lot more effort into their work than some musicians.

EDIT: However, I definitely pirate less these days because I pay for a Spotify subscription.
    itunes.com

Anyways, just bcuz you don't like the pricing of something doesn't mean you steal it. You are in no position to dictate whether these artists were worthy or not over movie producers nor was it your song to begin with. If you want their music, pay. They don't work hard just to go broke bcuz some kid liked using Frostwire.

Super Elite
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-The-Rave View Post

If I really like music I'm listening to, I'll pick up the cd. Even the collectors edition. For the most part, I just download them.
    Last edited by Acid Snake; 12-27-2011 at 03:29.
    Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8GHz | Nvidia 660 ti | 6 GB Corsair Xms 1333 Mhz | 1 TB Seagate HDD | 250 GB WD HDD | Windows 7 Ultimate |

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrath View Post
    I know I do. I've just stumbled upon some articles where it is said that companies lay off hundreds of employees as a result of piracy. So we're basically taking peoples' jobs by doing what we're doing... Be it movies, music, etc. I'd definitely buy everything legally if only I had the money to do so. Problem is, I don't. What is your opinion on this?
    they also layoff/fire employees who make a billion dollar profit for them so...yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by ERC1980 View Post
    I don't pirate.

I give my hard earned dollar to those who work their asses off to make a good product

only selfish individuals pirate
    just so you know most of that money goes to ppl who doesn't work their ass off.
    Last edited by reasonable_doubt; 12-27-2011 at 03:40.

13. Likes Thorzilla likes this post
    Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    I used to have tons of pirated software, and then one day I decided to delete it all and get it all legally. I very, very rarely download anything illegally now, unless there is no practical way for me to pirate it legally. That's a rare event, though. If I pirate something and find a way to get it legitimately, I tend to get rid of the pirated version and pay for the commercial version.

So to answer the OP, yes, pirating does bother me to an extent.
    Read my work on Medium, my blog, and connect with me on Twitter.

Super Elite
    Personally I feel bad when I DON'T pirate, the amount of money I've paid out on complete and utter garbage is more than anyone should. I can't think of a game I have played and enjoyed that I pirated originally that I didn't buy immediately afterwards but I can name plenty of games I wish I pirated first so I didn't have to suffer such filth. Though I have been known to buy bad games even after pirating them due to the length of time I've found myself playing them, I dislike Civ5 a great deal but... the entire day later I spent on it by accident made me obligated to buy it full price

I also doubt very much piracy makes so many lose their jobs, good products sell, they always have and lack of sales can more easily be attributed to lack of advertising or other factors
    if I am in the PS3 or 360 section I will NOT post about the competitor just to please people, if you want to know what I think about the competitor link me to a thread in the appropriate section

16. Likes F34R likes this post
    Super Elite
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Minnzy View Post
    Personally I feel bad when I DON'T pirate, the amount of money I've paid out on complete and utter garbage is more than anyone should. I can't think of a game I have played and enjoyed that I pirated originally that I didn't buy immediately afterwards but I can name plenty of games I wish I pirated first so I didn't have to suffer such filth. Though I have been known to buy bad games even after pirating them due to the length of time I've found myself playing them, I dislike Civ5 a great deal but... the entire day later I spent on it by accident made me obligated to buy it full price

I also doubt very much piracy makes so many lose their jobs, good products sell, they always have and lack of sales can more easily be attributed to lack of advertising or other factors
    Luckily for me, I have awesome taste in games. I've only ever bought 3 terrible games.

Super Elite
    I have bought zero bad games. I know how to pick them. Oh wait, I bought FFXIII.... $#@!!

19. Likes Minnzy likes this post
    PSU Technical Advisor

Power Member
    Don't charge me an arm and a leg and I wont download, simple.

$17 to go to the cinemas. $120 for a video game. Then we wait 6-12 months for TV Shows.

I don't feel bad AT ALL.

22. Likes Thorzilla, Acid Snake , F34R likes this post
    Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    It is easier to pirate than to pay for the stuff and sometimes the legitimate custmers get screwed let me tell you a story.

A while ago I bought The Prodigy's latest album "invaders must die" I also bought "Experience expanded" which has DRM on it which at the time annoyed me since it meant I couldn't copy it to a CD and play on my car stereo or walkman GRR, I have just now tried to listen to them and they will not work, windows media player cannot find the licens page so cannot play them I bought these form the official Prodigy website shop as well.
    Soon after I found out they were DRM protected researched and did find software to rip the music from them so I do at least have a version of the tracks in mp3 form but it is a slightly lower quality

I posted this before it is true it happened to me so FU all you land lover fairies.

Super Elite
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Kopkiwi View Post
    Don't charge me an arm and a leg and I wont download, simple.

$17 to go to the cinemas. $120 for a video game. Then we wait 6-12 months for TV Shows.

I don't feel bad AT ALL.
    Don't forget that you have to deal with people talking loudly, being annoying on the cellphones, and kicking your $#@!ing seat.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by Inzane2050 View Post
    itunes.com

Anyways, just bcuz you don't like the pricing of something doesn't mean you steal it. You are in no position to dictate whether these artists were worthy or not over movie producers nor was it your song to begin with. If you want their music, pay. They don't work hard just to go broke bcuz some kid liked using Frostwire.
    It's his money, so I think he's in the perfect position to dictate who, or what, is worthy of his money.

As for the ? in the OP. No, I don't feel bad at all. I also don't hide behind the "I don't pirate" mumbo jumbo bs.

26. Likes unicron7, Acid Snake likes this post
    Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    It's his money, so I think he's in the perfect position to dictate who, or what, is worthy of his money.
    It's their music, so no. Such self-righteous bigotry is despicable.

Super Elite
    Items User name style
    It's their music, so no. Such self-righteous bigotry is despicable.
    Nothing self-righteous about it. Some people just don't feel the need to waste their money on somethings. Especially if it has the possibility of sucking. Or sometimes, people just don't feel like spending money. Question. Do you buy or download anime? Have you ever downloaded a single episode? If that happens to be the case, you aren't in the position to judge anyone.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    I don't feel bad at all. Why? Because most of what I have downloaded, I usually buy, but I like to test out the product first. A movie or an album download is like a demo to me. If I like it a lot, I buy it, If I don't like it. I delete it or keep the one song that I like on it to add to my playlist.

The only thing that I can't see myself pirating is videogames. I dunno why, but I'd rather have an original copy of it than a digital file or on a burn disc. It's kinda funny too cause videogames are the most expensive medium. But my massive blu-ray and CD collection would probably help my argument if I ever were to go on trial for these laws. At least I hope it would...

I mean can you really be pissed off at pirating if movies like Transformers or albums from Nickelback get pirated?

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    I don't really pirate but if something is over priced I wont pay it till I find something cheaper.

The price of Nintendo games is a prime example of ripping off customers. Even launch first party games for the DS are still full price.
    Thats a slap full of BS right there when games like LittleBigPlanet 2, Killzone 3 and others on PS3 have already dropped to the platinum price.
    When a PS3 game reaches 500k sales it drops in price. When Mario sells 5million copies you still pay full price.

Same can be said for the Call of Duty games. Makes me sick and thats why I'd never buy them.
    Last edited by mickice; 12-27-2011 at 08:31.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Nintendo games have always been expensive I remember a friend of mine getting Super mario 3 for his birthday and I was told it cost 60 which back in 1989/90 was alot of money easily 5 tanks of fuel for a car.

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    itunes.com

I'm sorry, but it is close to 1 for every song if you want to buy them legitly. Think how much that adds up to..considering I want to listen to a new song every couple of hours or so. Besides as I already said, I pay for Spotify now, the only songs I pirate now are the ones that aren't on their database..frankly its their own fault because they should be on there.

One thing I definitely agree with pirating is software like Photoshop, some of that stuff is over 1000 to buy legit. That is ridiculous. I will use the student versions when they are available but if they aren't I will use other methods.
    Last edited by Dave-The-Rave; 12-27-2011 at 13:39.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Thread Information