Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    But some games are worth it and dont get the backing required.
    Infamous 2 is a great example.

Sony needs to be aggressive. They need a new ambitious marketing team for the states.

Veteran
    I still think half of them aren't anywhere near as great as people like to pretend they are. And the other half that are seem to sell well I think.

Uncharted, LBP, GOW3, Killzone, Resistance, all of these are million sellers. Granted some of the sequels such as KZ3 and R2 went in directions that some fans weren't particularly thrilled with which could explain the difference in sales there, but for the most part they do great. The only 2 games I see from MS's side that do significantly better are Halo and Gears, one of which has been around for a long time thus building a huge following, and the other which is the best in it's genre by far and caters to fraternity minded individuals making it very popular.

And yes marketing of course helps but it isn't worth it sometimes, it's very costly which explains why MS will market specific products all to hell and leave others out to die(Alan Wake).

I think Sony are doing fine with most of their stuff though releasing Infamous 2 when they did was $#@!ing retarded.

Signature by Knuckles126

"GOD STRIKES TAKE-TWO DOWN!" -Jack Thompson on Take Two's falling stock prices

PS3 exclusives sell well over the millions, the question is why every Xbox exclusive beside Halo and Gears is a commercial flop? Now go and do a list of every exclusive game on both consoles and compare its sales. I bet you're going to find some surprising facts that will make this article look stupid.

4. Likes AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    Soldier 95B
    ^Can we keep this on the PS3? There is no need for Xbox talk here.

This may be to early to say, but is what dead island should of been like! A heavily story based survival horror, that draws you in via character development and how they survive in this world and not just another zombie game!

Veteran
    A little place called none of your **** business. United States.
    Items 360 SlimPS3 SlimNaughty Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    ^Can we keep this on the PS3? There is no need for Xbox talk here.
    Then why make it sound as if it's a PS3 only problem when it's obviously not? $#@!ty article to say the very least and made to start $#@!.

Honestly, it's like *insert random assholes opinion here* *put it on a website* It is then deemed newsworthy/conversation worthy.

The day they ban N4G linked articles is the day I dance a $#@!ing Irish jig. They are like forum septic tanks.
    Last edited by unicron7; 12-30-2011 at 03:50.

I don't really need a water cooler/remote control as of right now.

8. Likes AaronSOLDIER , Ghost likes this post
    Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by unicron7 View Post
    Then why make it sound as if it's a PS3 only problem when it's obviously not? $#@!ty article to say the very least and made to start $#@!.

Honestly, it's like *insert random assholes opinion here* *put it on a website* It is then deemed newsworthy/conversation worthy.
    Now, now. The article at least brings in some discussion. There's no need to start any arguments. It's like you said, these articles are just opinions.

Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    Meh. Bringing in opinions from elsewhere, be them strong or weak generate plenty of discussion and help users draw conclusions of their own.
    Read my work on Medium, my blog, and connect with me on Twitter.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkNemesis View Post
    Obviously the games are selling well enough it keep making sequels and for the devs to stay in business.
    And at the end of the day thats all that matters to me as a PS3 gamer.

Master Guru
    Sony could market their exclusives more and that would help but at the end of the day i think it's just the fact that there are so many exclusives to choose from that there just isn't enough love to go around. Add in all the incredible multiplat titles we've been getting this generation and that's all you need to know.

Master Guru
    Items Legend of ZeldaInsomniac GamesKonamiNaughty DogNintendoMetal Gear SolidFinal Fantasy XI OnlineDark Souls CoverPlayStationDoomDemons Souls Cover
    selling millions means struggling now eh? well market your $#@!ing games and i mean more than one kevin butler commercial

Let's be honest: You sleep with anything that walks on two legs. Sometimes, you're not even that discriminating

ERC1980

The day they ban N4G linked articles is the day I dance a $#@!ing Irish jig. They are like forum septic tanks.
    amen to this!

garbage articles like this are not worthy of being posted on a gaming forum as magnificent as this one
    Last edited by ERC1980; 12-30-2011 at 05:47.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style

While I agree that its not exactly "Only PS3" titles that have issues, its more previlant, simply because Sony offer more.

Right now, MS can honestly say games like Gears and Forza sell bucket loads, and because they offer little else, they can tell you that their average game sales is far higher than Sony.

Treat em mean and keep em keen?

In saying that, I have a feeling some of Sonys titles this year are simply not going to get the exposure they should, which is a crying shame.

I would be surprised if Starhawk gets the exposure it deserves for example.

Super Elite
    Quite simply the fact that ps3 games sell a couple of million without a blockbuster marketing campaign, is testament to their quality. Think about it Uncharted drakes fortunes become such a hit by word of mouth advertising, those of us who played it in 2007 highly recomended it to a friend.

And they passed on the rave to another friend, and now its a franchise that garners alot of attention. Sony could do with some advertising but with the ammount of games in their arsenal that would take a huge budget, imagine if every exclusive gets a Microsoft style block party with celebrities and what not FOGETABOUTIT!!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The Views and opinions of forum member cpitt, do not represent the views and opinions of ps3forums and any known associates, mods

Super Elite
    Sony exclusives don't sell well in my opinion bcuz they are fairly mediocre. Uncharted and Heavy Rain are the only two in-house developed games that are actually great (and LBP for howsoever that appeals to). I mean, Killzone 3 is the third game of its series and yet it sells like an NT game.

Anyways, quality has nothing to do with sales at all. Which is why Lost Odyssey sold poorly while Final Fantasy XIII sold millions.
    私は日本語がわかります。図書館で読みます。ビール飲みます。

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Sony is doing just fine with their game sales. If they struggle it is because they have DIVERSITY. Sony make a lot of exclusives that cater to niche demographics. Their games are varied in genre, just as varied as peoples taste in games. That's why Sony kicks ass, because they deliver $#@! loads of games THEMSELVES (not resting on the fruits of 3rd party to sustain their console) across many genres. Variety >>>> stellar game sales for me as a consumer. To be honest I don't give a $#@! about sales to any great degree, im a gamer, not a share holder.

Putting 50 eggs in four baskets will always make them look more fuller than when you put 50 eggs in 15 baskets.

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuvian View Post
    I edited my post to be more constructive... still don't see a reason to drag multiplat titles that Sony has nothing to do with marketing/development wise into this discussion though.I'm sure there are "many conversations going around" about multiplat titles as well, but this article isn't about that.

Even as PS3 fanboys we should be able to discuss the sides that aren't going that well for Sony.
    Yeah, was a nice edit attempt. Just a little slow.

Let's be clear about one thing. I'm not a so-called 'Sony fanboy', I'm a consumer of video games. Please keep those comments for the playground at school. It's nothing more than pathetic name calling, a slur.

The powers that be have decided this is off topic (even though it goes directly towards the integrity of the article/point) so I'll say no more on the issue.

Suffice to say, the reason why they don't sell 'well' has likely already been nailed.

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by cpitt
    Quite simply the fact that ps3 games sell a couple of million without a blockbuster marketing campaign, is testament to their quality. Think about it Uncharted drakes fortunes become such a hit by word of mouth advertising, those of us who played it in 2007 highly recomended it to a friend.

And they passed on the rave to another friend, and now its a franchise that garners alot of attention. Sony could do with some advertising but with the ammount of games in their arsenal that would take a huge budget, imagine if every exclusive gets a Microsoft style block party with celebrities and what not FOGETABOUTIT!!!!!
    I can see the likes of Twisted Metal doing well on it's own without much of a marketing campaign due to it's history but what about games like Starhawk? or Tales of Graces F?, what real hope do those games have to be successful if they don't have much marketing to back them up?. Not every game will get lucky with just word of mouth or else, Valkyria Chronicles would be big right now.

This is what annoyed me with Infamous 2 - A great investment opportunity was just thrown into the trash. The same with, Motorstorm: Apocalypse. I'm not saying that Sony needs to throw multimillion marketing campaigns for each exclusive, but rather make the games known to the public more effectively because believe it or not, they're rather passive about the majority of the exclusives offered to them.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    As said it is weak marketing. The games that do well are the ones that they make sure people know about. Like Uncharted and Killzone 3 and GT5 were advertised a good bit but that is about all I can remember recently. I think the fact that the PS3 isn't the dominant console in the US market doesn't help the figures much either.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Soldier 95B
    Well does it matter to you that they don't include other consoles in their PS3 article? It shouldn't. The problem is that if Xbox is brought up in every PS3 thread it turns into a debate disaster. A good place to discuss Xbox vs. PS3 advertising would be the multiconsole section.

I personally believe Sony is content with their advertising, as are their developers. I have heard no complaints from developers or Sony, just hardcore gamers that want the games to sell more or have some fetish for gaming commercials. Seems that long term sales have never struggled with Sony games. Games that are struggling really struggle because they are not that great. There is a reason the latest Motorstorm is not doing well. And it is not because of advertising.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Well does it matter to you that they don't include other consoles in their PS3 article? It shouldn't. The problem is that if Xbox is brought up in every PS3 thread it turns into a debate disaster. A good place to discuss Xbox vs. PS3 advertising would be the multiconsole section. I personally believe Sony is content with their advertising, as are their developers. I have heard no complaints from developers or Sony, just hardcore gamers that want the games to sell more or have some fetish for gaming commercials. Seems that long term sales have never struggled with Sony games. Games that are struggling really struggle because they are not that great. There is a reason the latest Motorstorm is not doing well. And it is not because of advertising. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I agree with this, but not the ast part. Motostorm: Apocalypse is great, just underappreciated. Racing around in a 3D apocalypse is a unique experience imho. Some games are just hit and miss in regards to gamers tastes, but just because a game doesnt appeal to everybody it doesn't mean mean that the game is bad.

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    I agree with this, but not the ast part. Motostorm: Apocalypse is great, just underappreciated. Racing around in a 3D apocalypse is a unique experience imho. Some games are just hit and miss in regards to gamers tastes, but just because a game doesnt appeal to everybody it doesn't mean mean that the game is bad.
    Well, I agree with you that when a game doesn't appeal to everyone, that doesn't mean it is a bad game. But I too love SOCOM 4 and Medal of Honor, but it seems the majority doesn't, and sales show that. That generally means it was not "successful", even if we personally loved it.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Well, I agree with you that when a game doesn't appeal to everyone, that doesn't mean it is a bad game. But I too love SOCOM 4 and Medal of Honor, but it seems the majority doesn't, and sales show that. That generally means it was not "successful", even if we personally loved it.
    It seems like hit and miss with many games. Maybe it just comes down to the saturation of games this year. SO many games, and people only have so much money. As I've said before, there are AT LEAST 30 titles im buying next year, but not everybody is as stupid as me and only buy a select few. I just like to enjoy a broad range of gaming experiences so buy a lot, but many out there only buy games that REALLY appeal to them. When you have 2 or 3 dozen games to choose from, it's going to be spread thin.

Soldier 95B
    I also think it comes down to a limited audience. Heavy Rain did well, but it will never do Halo good because it is a niche genre. I also think some comes down to replayablity as well. I really think there are many factors, but it's still fun to discuss ideas and figure out what different reasons could be for different sales.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    I also think it comes down to a limited audience. Heavy Rain did well, but it will never do Halo good because it is a niche genre. I also think some comes down to replayablity as well. I really think there are many factors, but it's still fun to discuss ideas and figure out what different reasons could be for different sales.
    I wish I could find a $#@!storm of data on games sales for the past 3 years or so. For each game, total sales, region sales, sales over time, release date etc etc. I would like to study it to see if I can see the trends. I'd love to know the mentality of the game consumer, and try and find out game buying habits etc etc.

Thread Information