Latest PSU headlines:

Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX

Opinion: 5 Biggest Disappointments of 2011

Now before I quote the article, I realize not every game detailed here is a PS3 game. But a majority of them are, and therefore I feel this is the more appropriate section for this thread to be posted.

Need for Speed: The Run -- On paper, Need for Speed: The Run sounded like a great idea, one that would fill that final niche the Need for Speed series hadnít yet tapped. They have Hot Pursuit for the arcade racer enthusiasts; Shift for those more interested in suspensions and gears than plowing into cop cars going 200+ MPH; and The Run was meant to be that Michael Bay, high-octane race film experience. Except, it wasnít... at all.

Instead, The Run felt like a bare-bones version of Hot Pursuit, offering up some of the same events, but strung together by a limiting, straightforward progression system. And that story EA and Black Box pimped? Yea, it wasnít there. The characters of The Run define cookie cutter, scraping by as people only because they have faces.

Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword -- This oneís going to get me a lot of crap, probably the most out of any of the other entries here. But I stand by my convictions; The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword was an overall step back for the franchise. Make no mistake, the soundtrack and art direction for the latest Zelda title might be the seriesí best. And if not the best, then pretty damn close. But it was everything else aboutSkyward Sword that made it a tedious and sometimes downright frustrating experience.

For starters, motion control. Yes, Skyward Sword is the best use of the Wiiís motion control to date. But that isnít saying all too much. For everything the game does right in the motion control arena (1-to-1 sword fighting), it gets a whole lot more wrong. Bomb rolling in the middle of combat was a pain in the ass, and the twitch reaction time required for the gameís final two bosses made me what to stab someone in the eye with a popsicle stick. I didnít, of course, and thatís why Iím still around to write this article (do they set aside time in prison for creative writing?).

Killzone 3 -- The pre-launch trailers for Killzone 3 made the game look so good. Best of all for a guy like me, the story looked epic as hell, with just the right dash of compelling characters and balls-to-the-wall action. But the trailers decieved. What I got with Killzone 3 was a story featuring a bunch of paper-thin, macho, war-cliche dude-bros prancing around with big guns yelling war gibberish. To say the least, it was not very compelling stuff. It also didnít help that the campaign lasted only about five hours, rolling the credits before you get a chance to take your first pee break.

Killzone 3ís campaign leaves you wanting, but not in a ďI canít wait to see what happens nextĒ sort of way. Thankfully, the multiplayer does deliver; although, that hasnít stopped the game from leaving a sour taste in my mouth.

Homefront -- Homefront takes some cues from Killzone 3; both stories are both bogged down by lame, exhausted war cliches in an attempt to elicit an emotional response from gamers. And much like was the case with Killzone 3, it doesnít work for Homefront.

This floundering stinker was all the more disappointing when you think back on the gameís visually striking marketing campaign promising an engrossing, character-driven narrative that would pull at the heartstrings like no modern first-person shooter has done before. But as the old adage says: never judge a book by its cover. That couldnít be more true with Homefront, which delivered a campaign that managed to make a Russian invasion of America (complete with multiple Red Dawn references) painstakingly boring.

Despite the gameís mixed reviews, THQ is pushing forward with a sequel developed by Crytek, the makers of Crysis, using their jaw-dropping Crytek engine. I extend my deepest sympathies to them for attempting to polish a turd into a diamond. God speed.

Alice: Madness Returns -- This game might be my biggest crushing blow of 2011. I expected the world from American McGeeís follow-up to Alice. But what I got with Alice: Madness Returns was a very ho-hum action-platformer that tried so incredibly hard to be dark and twisted at every turn that it lost sight of its most important mission objective: tell a coherent story. Alice: Madness Returns had a slick style to its characters and world, but thatís about where my praise ends for the title; platforming got boring and combat got repetitive very quickly.

The initial trailers for Alice: Madness Returns made me beyond excited for this game. But after picking up the controller and taking the title for a spin for only a couple of hours, I had my fill. The experience wasnít engaging enough to waste time pushing through it. While it felt good to move on to something I actually wanted to play, a piece of me died the day I gave up on Alice: Madness Returns. Iím still waiting on that perfectly dark (and coherent) trip back to Wonderland.
    Source.

Just want to see what you guys have to say about this. I didn't get into any of these games very much, so I don't have any striking insight on any of this. I do, however, agree that Killzone 3 wasn't very striking. I played it for a short time, and quickly put it down and never played it again. It wasn't bad so much as I felt it was a carbon copy of Killzone 2 with a few things here and there.
    Read my work on Medium, my blog, and connect with me on Twitter.

***** dweller
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    I can't say much about the other games but I do strongly agree with Killzone 3 and Homefront. Both games had a lot of potential but they were wasted on utter nonsense and terrible storytelling. The first hour or so from both games did leave a good impression but afterward, they just fell apart.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I liked KZ3 but Homefront sucked. Havent played the other games on the list.

Master Guru
    Items Legend of ZeldaInsomniac GamesKonamiNaughty DogNintendoMetal Gear SolidFinal Fantasy XI OnlineDark Souls CoverPlayStationDoomDemons Souls Cover
    no MW3? everyone i know thinks the MP was ruined. and that's all those games have going for them

Let's be honest: You sleep with anything that walks on two legs. Sometimes, you're not even that discriminating

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    I didn't see much wrong with KZ3 as others did but Homefront wasn't that good. Dragon Age 2 should definitely be on that list for sure.

Currently Playing: ​ Skyrim
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Beyond: Two Souls

Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    I didn't see much wrong with KZ3 as others did but Homefront wasn't that good. Dragon Age 2 should definitely be on that list for sure.
    Dragon Age 2 was immensely better than its predecessor imo. But then again, I realize that it was ported to the PS3 horribly. Had I played it on PC or something, I might feel completely different.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Equinoqs
    Items Big BossFinal Fantasy XIILBP NarikoDemons Souls Cover
    Not that it was a bad game, but "Dark Souls" was my biggest disappointment. Maybe I wouldn't feel that way if I hadn't played "Demon's Souls" first, but following in that game's near-perfect footsteps just begs the comparison.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    barit
    Dungeon Siege 3 should be on that list too. Most biggest disappointment in gaming history ever and who create it ? Yes right, Square Enix. **** DAT i canīt believe how bad SE has become, not only that they destroying their own Final Fantasy franchise nope, now they take other franchise down too. I swear the day when SquareSoft transformed to SquareEnix and merge with EDIOS the gaming world lost more then a good developer.
    Last edited by bariton1; 12-30-2011 at 17:38.

Veteran
    A little place called none of your **** business. United States.
    Items 360 SlimPS3 SlimNaughty Dog
    Stupid list. No Duke Nukem forever? Zelda and Killzone 3 were far from a disappointing as well. Again, more N4G garbage. Shame.
    [COLOR=#fafafa !important]

[/COLOR]

I don't really need a water cooler/remote control as of right now.

Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    Quote Originally Posted by bariton1 View Post
    Dungeon Siege 3 should be on that list to. Most biggest disappointment in gaming history ever and who create it ? Yes right, Square Enix. **** DAT i canīt believe how bad SE has become, not only that they destroying their own Final Fantasy franchise nope, now they take other franchise down too. I swear the day when SquareSoft transformed to SquareEnix and merge with EDIOS the gaming world lost more then a good developer.
    On the topic of Final Fantasy, I don't think we can give up on SE quite yet. They seem to be making progress with the likes of Final Fantasy XIII-2 and Versus FFXIII. They might have fallen down a path hardcore FF fans don't like, but they might be finding their way back.

@unicorn7: Duke Nukem Forever... What a terrible game.

Dedicated Member

Actually, I have to disagree with some opinions of KZ3. Some people say it was full of cliched war gibberish, but I have to ask, what did people expect? It was never meant to be Gone with the Wind, and let's face it, there's only so much you can do with a war story anyway. No matter where it's set. The graphics were beautiful and the gameplay was right on in my opinion. The multiplayer was fantastic too. Some people could say the same about Uncharted 3 (Which I love, BTW!), Being a big Indiana Jones fan, I can actually point out at least 6-10 parts of that story wich were basically ripped off from those movies, right down to the similar set pieces only without the nazis. but the characters and gameplay sets it above. Happily, I can't personally say I've had too many disappointments with many games this generation.

12. Likes Steve wishes they had posted this first.
    Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Have to disagree with KZ3 and Zelda. Both easily in my top 10 this generation.

Quote Originally Posted by unicron7 View Post
    Stupid list. No Duke Nukem forever? Zelda and Killzone 3 were far from a disappointing as well. Again, more N4G garbage. Shame.
    [COLOR=#fafafa !important]

[/COLOR]
    Really? N4G is just a news aggregate. People submit articles there, thousands of them... the quality of an article doesn't have anything to do with N4G. smfh

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    [COLOR=#fafafa !important][/COLOR]
    Duke Nukem should be at the top of the list for disappointing games without a doubt.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items DreamcastPlayStationNintendoBullyGTA ClaudeFinal Fantasy IX
    Yeah, I just realized Duke Nukem Forever isn't anywhere on the list. Not to mention that people waited 14 years to play that game!

3DS Friend Code: 1349-4916-2054

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by SchaffinOSX View Post
    Dragon Age 2 was immensely better than its predecessor imo. But then again, I realize that it was ported to the PS3 horribly. Had I played it on PC or something, I might feel completely different.
    It had some improvements but they just cut away from the experience of DA:O that made it so fun. Dungeon Crawling! They completely took that away when they made the cookie cutter "dungeons" that there was in 2. I loved the combat in 2 but they just took away almost all the freedom that you had in the first. Like putting whatever gear you wanted on you characters and not just armor and weapons that level with them. Makes loot pointless unless you can use it. I enjoyed playing the game but in my eyes comparing to Dragon Age:Origins it was a mere shell.

As for Duke Nukem not being on the list. smh

Currently Playing: ​ Skyrim
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Beyond: Two Souls

Superior Member
    Me personally.... SOCOM 4 was the biggest let down of the year.. =/

Killzone and Homefront werent that bad, just nothing great IMO

Playing: Battlefield 3
    Waiting For: GTA V, Battlefield 4

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Have to disagree with KZ3 and Zelda. Both easily in my top 10 this generation.

Really? N4G is just a news aggregate. People submit articles there, thousands of them... the quality of an article doesn't have anything to do with N4G. smfh

It has everything to do with them. Don't they screen articles before they are posted? It amazes what constitutes as journalism these days. It overflows with mindless dribble.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    It has everything to do with them. Don't they screen articles before they are posted? It amazes what constitutes as journalism these days. It overflows with mindless dribble.
    No, the articles are peer reviewed. The mods there only check for unfit material.

I am an approver at Ng4 for example because I successfully posted a certain number of articles that were additionally approved. That's all it takes to become part of the approval process.

N4G is just a vessel, it is the people writing and approving articles that are the problem.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    No, the articles are peer reviewed. The mods there only check for unfit material.

I am an approver at Ng4 for example because I successfully posted a certain number of articles that were additionally approved. That's all it takes to become part of the approval process.

N4G is just a vessel, it is the people writing and approving articles that are the problem.
    Regardless, 90% of the **** posted there, is well, ****. Sifting through it all to find anything good has become a chore. Rarely someone will post a linked article that is just fine, normally from an already recognized institution someone would post an article from anyway...these average joe blow articles are normally flame bait and half ass attempts at writing. I'm honestly shocked you guys allow them on here. They definitely don't bring anything to the table. But if you insist, proceed.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Regardless, 90% of the **** posted there, is well, ****. Sifting through it all to find anything good has become a chore. Rarely someone will post a linked article that is just fine, normally from an already recognized institution someone would post an article from anyway...these average joe blow articles are normally flame bait and half ass attempts at writing. I'm honestly shocked you guys allow them on here. They definitely don't bring anything to the table. But if you insist, proceed.
    Well, to be honest, I would LOVE to ban all fanboy type **** articles from that place. Problem is, you'd be left with about 1 or 2 articles a week to post as news. Apart from PSU's articles, it is RARE to find one even remotely based on fact, let alone well written or worth reading. As I said, we submit all our PSU written articles to N4G, but rarely garner the hits that these type of crap posts get. We simply aren't sensationalist enough.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    Well, to be honest, I would LOVE to ban all fanboy type **** articles from that place.
    Exactly! Anything that stirs a pot that doesn't need to be stirred. Regardless of what camp it's from. It's pointless and leads to threads being locked over silliness.

As I said, we submit all our PSU written articles to N4G, but rarely garner the hits that these type of crap posts get. We simply aren't sensationalist enough.
    The articles you guys write are worlds above what these "most read" N4G posts consist of.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Exactly! Anything that stirs a pot that doesn't need to be stirred. Regardless of what camp it's from. It's pointless and leads to threads being locked over silliness.

The articles you guys write are worlds above what these "most read" N4G posts consist of.
    Exactly.. posts based on articles like this never end well because the article is engineered to cause fights.

I just wish more people cared about real journalism more, then our articles would garner more consistent attention

Superior Member
    ok here's mine, skyrim dear god, bugs bugs bugs, skyward sword, the wii remote was created by the devil himself, hate it, and modern warfare 3, hold on, i actually love this game, what a suprise.

Supreme Veteran

Zelda skyward sword is before the timeline of the zelda ocriana of time's starting point and was not disappointing one bit, it explained everything from start to finish

I quote this as the work of the DEVIL HIMSELF IN BLOOD RED EVILNESS

Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword -- This one’s going to get me a lot of crap, probably the most out of any of the other entries here. But I stand by my convictions; The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword was an overall step back for the franchise. Make no mistake, the soundtrack and art direction for the latest Zelda title might be the series’ best. And if not the best, then pretty damn close. But it was everything else aboutSkyward Sword that made it a tedious and sometimes downright frustrating experience.

For starters, motion control. Yes, Skyward Sword is the best use of the Wii’s motion control to date. But that isn’t saying all too much. For everything the game does right in the motion control arena (1-to-1 sword fighting), it gets a whole lot more wrong. Bomb rolling in the middle of combat was a pain in the ass, and the twitch reaction time required for the game’s final two bosses made me what to stab someone in the eye with a popsicle stick. I didn’t, of course, and that’s why I’m still around to write this article (do they set aside time in prison for creative writing?).
    Last edited by claud3; 12-30-2011 at 22:37.

Thread Information