Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 ... LastLast
    Super Elite
    The legislators were trying to protect the victim (the companies) from the attackers (pirates).
    私は日本語がわかります。図書館で読みます。ビール飲みます。

Mr. Ten-A-Key!
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Sony is under the gun and pressure from hackers this is the reason why I jumped to XBL and never looked back. Its not that I support anon or anything its I wanna play games without interruption. We will see how "professional" Sony will act this time around since the last time they didn't seem to worry about their consumers CCs being taking advantage of.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by Inzane2050 View Post
    The legislators were trying to protect the victim (the companies) from the attackers (pirates).
    LOL.

You're caught up in the piracy aspect of it, and protecting companies.... you need to look deeper and see what this really is. This is giving the USA jurisdiction to enforce penalties over citizens and corporations not even in this freaking country. You really should read the "Arguments Against" section of that wiki link I gave you. Weigh the propositions here.

Super Elite
    I'm definitely not supporting the law. 'Just saying that was the intention. Honestly tho, this bill hurts anyone not in the government, businesses and all.

Also that people are far from victims as they do their share well as corporations.
    Last edited by Inzane2050; 12-31-2011 at 01:40.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    the_mooninites
    Items ICO
    LMAO sorry but that was funny. This bill is pretty much in a nut shell, censoring the internet. No one in their right mind wants that.

Super Elite
    I honestly believe the internet should be censored.

Veteran
    Items Dark Souls CoverMuseSteam
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Birbiglia
    Why would you go talk about computers when you could stay here and go skiing and your skis will be french toast sticks!

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    the_mooninites
    Items ICO
    May i ask why?

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    the_mooninites
    Items ICO
    Double Post

Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by mooninites View Post
    May i ask why?
    Some sites like Pirate Bay should be censored from the internet. It will go thru our legal system as anything else would so it will be nothing like this "we take down your site w/o trial" nonsense. Taki t down PirateBay.com is not feastable as they are in another country, but blocking their site from America is something much more accomplishable. And an FYI, this is by any means like the cursed China censorship bull.

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Some sites like Pirate Bay should be censored from the internet. It will go thru our legal system as anything else would so it will be nothing like this "we take down your site w/o trial" nonsense. Taki t down PirateBay.com is not feastable as they are in another country, but blocking their site from America is something much more accomplishable. And an FYI, this is by any means like the cursed China censorship bull.
    It is not the Governments place to sensor which sites on the Internet I go to. Yes, it's just like China if it passes. You're mistaken about the "going through the legal system". There is little to no oversight, and grievances are next to impossible to file. Since when do movie and music companies get any say as to what Internet sites we go to? This bill gives them the power to send take down notices without actually proving sites are infringing. Jesus man...

Super Elite
    With any luck the majority will successfully be made aware of what this actually is... sadly however in this forum alone losing ones rights and freedoms will be met with thunderous applause by those told by governments/companies they love them...
    if I am in the PS3 or 360 section I will NOT post about the competitor just to please people, if you want to know what I think about the competitor link me to a thread in the appropriate section

Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    It is not the Governments place to sensor which sites on the Internet I go to. Yes, it's just like China if it passes. You're mistaken about the "going through the legal system". There is little to no oversight, and grievances are next to impossible to file. Since when do movie and music companies get any say as to what Internet sites we go to? This bill gives them the power to send take down notices without actually proving sites are infringing. Jesus man...
    I'm not talking about the bill.

Also, TV is censored by the government and I assure that no one died. The Interent can be done as well. It's just virtual space. It's not the end of the world.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Please give me an example, or a few if you can, of tv censoring that is in the same spirit of this bill.

16. Likes Two4DaMoney likes this post
    Super Elite
    I just told you that I'm not talking about the bill.

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    PSN possibly being down will not bother me. There's nothing I want off the store and I don't play online. With that said, $#@! anonymous and $#@! the sopa bull$#@!.

Destiny and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is all I need for the rest of the year.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    the_mooninites
    Items ICO
    The problem is who decides what is shut down/blocked? No entity, government or otherwise, can tell you what website you can and can not view. At least not in the United States. They can make things illegal but they can't just start blocking websites. Your right, they do censor tv but they can't tell you which channel you can and can not watch. I understand your point of view and can agree with it to a point, i just don't agree with blocking websites.

Super Elite
    The judicial system decides as always. You take up a dispute, claiming illegal content abroad on said site, investigation then ensues, if found in favor of the contestant then the domain owners will be fined and have to remove the illegal content and/or be blocked in the US. It is just like anything else. It is not some "government takeover." It is just another law, another regulation, out of the billions that already exist in the US. Just so we are clear, I am not talking about the bill on topic. I am talking about my own idea for a law.
    Last edited by Inzane2050; 12-31-2011 at 04:48.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    the_mooninites
    Items ICO
    I know your not talking about the bill. Don't they already do something like what your talking about tho? They closed down limewire because of copyright infringements and i remember a website i used to frequent to watch movies that got shut down too for the same reason. Funny thing is every time they get shut down a new one pops up with a similar name. limewire shut down, now there is frostwire. Its an endless cycle.

To get back on topic: Anonymous has announced that the consumers will not be effected by the attacks. they will be going for the website and executives of Sony. So no PSN attack...Horay!!!!

http://playstationlifestyle.net/2011...o-be-targeted/

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    I'm very much against this ridiculous bill because it stretches out across the world. Even if I live in Canada, I still can't post copyright content. Youtube is a great example of how it succumbed to copyright laws. Wtf happened to art? I need 20k to pay to use one $#@!ing song in a video? No thanks. Maybe when I'm a billionaire. But you e-anarchists are doing it wrong. You're also hurting the consumer/citizen when you have rogue groups take info from people who have NOTHING to them. And it will happen. So, you're drifting away from your goal and $#@!ing with other people's lives. Why don't you see that?

If you wanna get a message across, then try violence against those you are against. I don't condone it and I wouldn't do it, but I'm just saying.

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Doesn't matter who starts what. The issue isn't piracy here. It'll NEVER stop, no matter how many bills they pass, now matter how strict the DRM gets. It's a part of doing business. The main issue here is that these politicians are more interested in protecting companies that pay for their campaigns rather than fighting for the people that put them in office.
    Actually, the issue here is piracy, believe it or not, it is. Everything started going out of whack when Metallica sued Napster or whatever, the problem started getting a lot worse from there. This entire thing is about piracy. there is no "oh look, you have to look a lot deeper", there is no organized crime syndicate from high up corporations here. What you have right now is Music companies (which by the way have their hands in this) Universal, Americana, etc etc are all involved. You say it isn't piracy, but it is, and their really isn't no read inbetween the lines on this matter. Yes, the bill sucks in certain ways of how severe the punishment is and I agree that it's to much of a punishment. However, again I say the problem is piracy and this is mainly on the music end of things but also movie indrusties are most likely in on this also.

Technically it does matter, saying it doesn't matter is nothing more then shifting the blame away from what started this entire mess to begin with. LOL

anyway, this bill wont pass. you can dwell on it but at least you will take a deep breath of relief when it doesn't pass. Like I said, this bill is so harsh that companies themselves will start to lose money. There are to many if, ands, and buts. but I tell you what, if piracy gets worse, it's not them to blame for such a ridiculous bill, it's the $#@!ers ripping the songs and handing them out for free over the net which other industries are losing money off of.

------------------------------------------------------------

I can go onto youtube and get pretty much any song I want to listen to for free, on top of that they have programs where you can record it. The music industry from before this all happened up to now has lost more money in terms of CD sales compared to back then and it's because of crap just like this. I use youtube as well to listen to the songs. If there was none of that music on youtube it wouldn't faze me one bit since i can either by the cd or pay for a download of that song or that CD.

There are scam record labels, but what you don't understand here is the CD sales go to the record companies that signed those bands, that money is made for pretty much the company off of CD's. The live shows and merchandise which does create a revenue greater than what the company made off those sales is paid back and then sum, that company also forks over money for tours. Those tour shows are already paid back after a couple of concerts the rest goes to the band which is why you see them on tour for a few years before another CD comes out.

This first stemmed from music and since I know how legit music companies work, those are the reason why I use music to back up my arguement and it's valid. If piracy gets worse and more losses come out of CD sales, the problem you will have is the record companies wont be able to front the band that money, the band can't do those big tours and now what you have is a band making mediocre pay just trying to get by.
    Last edited by Bigdoggy; 12-31-2011 at 08:47.

Elite Guru
    Out of curiosity, would you also like sites like Google to be censored? They can and do link to pretty much the same stuff that Pirate Bay does.

I'll caveat that I know very little about this bill so am going to give a largely uneducated opinion. But.

The SOPA bill appears to be getting passed in the US under the guise of piracy when the real issue/aim is control of the internet. It strikes me as similar to an 'anti terror' piece of legislation that was passed a few years back here in the UK. It allowed government bodies to snoop into people's lives if it was considered a terrorist threat. Guess what it was used for? Snooping on suspected benefit cheats.

The bill may be well intentioned but if it passes, you can guarantee it's going to be abused. Or maybe just used for it's true intention...

Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by *goo View Post
    Out of curiosity, would you also like sites like Google to be censored? They can and do link to pretty much the same stuff that Pirate Bay does.

I'll caveat that I know very little about this bill so am going to give a largely uneducated opinion. But.

The SOPA bill appears to be getting passed in the US under the guise of piracy when the real issue/aim is control of the internet. It strikes me as similar to an 'anti terror' piece of legislation that was passed a few years back here in the UK. It allowed government bodies to snoop into people's lives if it was considered a terrorist threat. Guess what it was used for? Snooping on suspected benefit cheats.

The bill may be well intentioned but if it passes, you can guarantee it's going to be abused. Or maybe just used for it's true intention...
    Since when did Google have illegal content on it?

And when was I talking about the bill?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdoggy View Post
    Actually, the issue here is piracy
    Bingo.
    Last edited by Inzane2050; 12-31-2011 at 15:12.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Since when did Google have illegal content on it?

And when was I talking about the bill?

Bingo.
    If you're not talking about the bill, then what the heck are you talking about? It's hard to discuss two totally different topics when you really haven't spelled out what your motives for posting in the thread are.

Since this thread is about the bill that Sony supposedly supports - it relates to google because you can type in any number of different types of downloads, and Google will serve up links to torrents, etc. According to the bill, the entirety of Google can be removed from the internet basically. The domain Google.com and anything associated with it, including websites hosted by google, etc., even if they AREN'T infringing in any way, will be taken over by the Government.

It's not even about piracy, and if you think that then these lobbyists and politicians have already done there job with you. It's about controlling content on the internet, period.

Thread Information