Super Elite

PSVita's Weak Sales Prompt Price Cuts in Japan

Link: http://www.slashgear.com/ps-vitas-we...apan-03205730/

Article:
    Retailers in Japan have begun unofficially slashing prices on Sony’s PS Vita next-gen portablegaming device after disappointing sales continued through the holiday. The PS Vita debuted in Japan last month to initial sales of 321,000 units in the first two days. However, that number quickly sunk to a paltry 72,479 units by the second week, a very low figure compared to the second-week sales of rival Nintendo’s 3DS back in February of last year and is still flying off shelves.

The discounts being offered on the PS Vita are said to be as much as 20 percent, but only on the more expensive 3G version of the device. Apparently, the 3G version isn’t moving and it’s understandable given the added cost for the 3G capability itself plus the extra cellular data plan that would be required. Here in the US, that means signing up with AT&T for either a $14.99 per month plan for 250MB or a $25 per month plan for 2GB.
    The PS Vita is set to debut stateside starting February 22 along with the release of several game titles for the device. GameStop has already posted pricing and arrival estimates for the PS Vita and its accessories, listing the WiFi-only version at $249.99 and the WiFi-plus-3G version at $299.99. Games are priced at around $39.99. It’ll be interesting to see how the PS Vita is received here and if we’ll also be seeing a price cut.

I know some are expecting the Vita to perform better in the West, but I doubt it'll do much better here. While the games do seem to have a more Western appeal, nothing in the Vita's roster stands out as something for which to buy the system; I've seen many people place their trust in Uncharted being the system seller, but Uncharted has never been a killer app, despite its critical veneration within the gaming community, and I doubt it has the capability to sell Vita with the kind of numbers some are predicting. Now, if the Call of Duty title lives up to the expectations its console predecessors have set, then that may be something, but until then I'm not convinced the system will outdo its current performance there.

Anyways, as I said regarding the last article I posted, I hope this means the Vita's price swiftly drops in the West. I want a Vita, but not for 250. I WOULD have wanted one for 250 if not for the odd additions Sony decided to force upon consumers.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I wouldn't mind a lower price.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    I'll gladly pay a lower price.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Considering Japan's economy and devastation of last year, I think that's pretty good sales. Besides since when was 70k+ sales "poor"?

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    If it was it's 6th year, I'd say it wasn't poor... it's only the 2nd week, and if it wasn't due to a supply constraint, then that is VERY poor.

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Cant see the price budging for the worldwide release in Feb, but it's no surprise to me that the 3G model isn't selling in Japan

As for how it'll do in the west, I have a feeling that it will remain just about relevant until it hits a mass market price point/redesign - kinda like the PS3. Even if it had that killer app, the price would be holding it back. Even if it had the price, the killer app would be holding it back. The 3DS started flying off the shelves because of a combination of both price point + games

Interesting times ahead for the Vita

Superior Member
    Items PS3 SlimBlizzardMovePlayStationUser name style
    It lacks a lot of things even though it does so much.
    http://www.psu.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=215813&dateline=13047  62730

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryPSN View Post
    It lacks a lot of things even though it does so much.
    ... such as?

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Price drop away if you like, it seems to be what saved the 3Ds. lol.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Gaddesreinhart
    Items PS3 FatVita
    I'd welcome a price cut actually. I'm curios to see how well it does over here. It would probably have stronger sales in Japan if it had more JRPG's at launch. (Yes, I know that's considered a "far out" theory these days".
    Retired FFXI player. FFXIV player, Malboro Server.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    At least throw a memory card in the package.
    Last edited by MjW; 01-04-2012 at 18:46.
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

12. Likes Nitey , Thorzilla likes this post
    Forum Guru
    Like I said, Cluster$#@!.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fake_PSN
    The Playstation Blog guys are jerks. I just asked them what they were doing for lunch and they replied "We have no updates concerning lunch"

Apprentice
    After an impressive official announcement where aside from battery life, it seems that they got all the specs right, Sony did just about everything to throw a wet blanket over the excitement generated by the PSV. Hidden costs, restrictions, the UMD Passport BS.

They need to stop thinking about how to make a quick buck for now and focus on saving the launch. There will be at least 400,000 pissed off Sony fans if the Vita flounders too fast and game developers bail on it.

If they can't make an official price cut then make some nice bundles or offer PSN download bait. This way, they give the gamer a sense of good value for the money.
    DRULYB

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Quote Originally Posted by syciprider View Post
    They need to stop thinking about how to make a quick buck for now and focus on saving the launch. There will be at least 400,000 pissed off Sony fans if the Vita flounders too fast and game developers bail on it.
    I think the risk of developers bailing on the Vita is probably the biggest challenge Sony faces. With many of the psp-defining 3rd party franchises, such as Monster Hunter for example, now being available on the 3DS, Sony could find 3rd parties less interested in making a HD quality game for the Vita when they can make SD/psp quality games (in terms of development costs/time) on the 3DS. And with the install base of the 3DS, it is a no brainer for a lot of 3rd parties

If they can't make an official price cut then make some nice bundles or offer PSN download bait. This way, they give the gamer a sense of good value for the money.
    Well I don't think we'll be seeing a price cut any time soon, and rightfully so, because at best they are probably making a small loss on each Vita sold, already. They simply can't afford to drop, so they need to do the 2nd thing you suggest, and really sync themselves with the market

I think they can pull it off, they just need to be proactive. PS+ needs to be a big deal too, such as PS+ getting a percentile discount of Vita games over retail copies. Things like that

The Vita hardware is being very well received, so Sony has a very good foundation to work from. In Japan, ultimately, they need a big hit, ideally from 1st party. Price drop will simply come when they can afford it

Elite Member

PSN ID
    Key2001
    The price has not been lowered. The article is getting the 20% from a post on Neogaf who had mistaken a 20% discount on games (not just Vita games) from Amazon as a 20% discount on the system itself.

Edit: It appears it is from a German site reporting a 20% price cut on the 3G model at 1 retailer/store. I don't see any other reports or anything that there is/were any price cuts anywhere near 20% beyond this 1 retailer.

Also AT&T has not confirmed any pricing for 3G on the PSVita. That could end up being the price, but it has not been confirmed by AT&T yet. It is their normal pricing for 3G, which is why the prices were quoted when the person asked a AT&T store employee how much 3G will be for the PSVita. He had called AT&T before hand and asked, but they told him they didn't know.

http://www.gamezone.com/news/ps-vita...the-whole-time
    Last edited by Ryunosuke; 01-04-2012 at 22:10.

Superior Member
    Items PS3 SlimBlizzardMovePlayStationUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    ... such as?

There is nothing unique about it if you own a PS3.

The interface reminds me too much of a iPod/iPad etc.. it lacks that unique PS feel to it. The games are nothing special either. I really wanted to get this thing when I first heard of it, but now I've lost interest in it since the game titles are nothing new or unique.
    http://www.psu.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=215813&dateline=13047  62730

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    If it was it's 6th year, I'd say it wasn't poor... it's only the 2nd week, and if it wasn't due to a supply constraint, then that is VERY poor.
    As I've seen pointed out, the last couple week the Vita has been up against competition from some MAJOR hitters on 3ds. You know all those games that the 3ds didn't have when it launched? It does now, just as the Vita comes out. I think that may have, I don't know, just a BIT to do with it, don't you?

It's like how the DS sales tanked every time a monster hunter game came out on the PSP. Then they picked up. Like magic.

Thread Information