Page 1 of 6 1 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Final Fantasy XIII-2 Bombing in Japan?

When Final Fantasy XIII-2 made its Japanese retail debut on December 15, it did so in lackluster fashion. For 99% of games coming out, having a first-week Japanese sales total of over half a million would be a triumph -- huge success. But Final Fantasy XIII-2
    's 524,000 performance (PS3 version) is a mere one-third the size of the original Final fantasy XIII, and even stands distantly in the shadow of Final Fantasy's first direct sequel, Final Fantasy X-2, which also sold over 1.5 million right out of the gate. For a Final Fantasy title, XIII-2 is performing far below expectations.

Things get worse for Square Enix when one considers that XIII-2 is supposed to be a game kept interesting in the long term with frequent DLC updates. This does not stop people from trading the sucker in, even a mere two or three weeks after its launch, however. Getting back from my Christmas vacation, something really stuck out at me as I made my rounds in the game shops: there are a lot of used copies of Final Fantasy XIII-2. Above, I am holding one small store's hearty supply of five used copies of the barely three-week-old Final Fantasy XIII-2, selling for 4,980 yen each. The game launched with a price closer to 7,000 yen for new copies, but has already plummeted to 5,500 in most stores.

Sales were well under half of what Square Enix expected, the price has fallen like a rock, and trade-ins are rampant. From the looks of things, Final Fantasy XIII-2 isn't the comeback S-E was hoping for.

Source

Hope they cancel FFXIII-3 and get to XV already.
    Last edited by AaronSOLDIER; 01-04-2012 at 03:39.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Super Elite
    Hiring Mistwalker to make your Final Fantasy games and your sales shall jump ten fold. Bcuz people are getting smarter.
    私は日本語がわかります。図書館で読みます。ビール飲みます。

Elite Member

A real shame, because for me personally a lot of the problems I had with FFXIII seemed to have been addressed in this one. I'll still buy it no problem once it hits the US. Can't wait!

Well, at the very least now they can go gung ho with Versus!

Master Sage
    Items User name styleLegend of ZeldaDiablo IIIHeath LedgerJoker (limited ICON)Title Style
    Cant fool many people twice in a row

Once more into the fray.
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live and die on this day.

5. Likes Mael Duin, John25 , Cloudie likes this post
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Last I checked, it topped the charts in Japan. Now this?
    Shame.

I think this game deserves more. Still you can't count it out just yet. Western release should help numbers move along.

Master Guru
    Items Legend of ZeldaInsomniac GamesKonamiNaughty DogNintendoMetal Gear SolidFinal Fantasy XI OnlineDark Souls CoverPlayStationDoomDemons Souls Cover
    good, get back to good games goddamnit

Let's be honest: You sleep with anything that walks on two legs. Sometimes, you're not even that discriminating

8. Likes Ezekiel likes this post
    Forum Overseer
    Good, maybe they'll realize now what got them here.

10. Likes Ezekiel likes this post
    Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    It was still successful in it's first week launch. Like Aaron said, they better cancel any plans for a Final Fantasy XIII-3 and just focus on XV and Versus 13.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by FonFahbre View Post
    It was still successful in it's first week launch. Like Aaron said, they better cancel any plans for a Final Fantasy XIII-3 and just focus on XV and Versus 13.
    They just cant unless they put everything into DLC (lol) Toriyama'd with the ending.

Master Sage
    Items User name styleLegend of ZeldaDiablo IIIHeath LedgerJoker (limited ICON)Title Style
    Well... i wouldn't say its bombing but it could have done better, after 6 months the combined JPN/EU/NA sales will give them a nice plus in the bank.

When it comes to JRPG these days i expect more, other JRPGs have been delivering a much better gaming experience for this gen then the FF series.

Once more into the fray.
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.

Master Poster
    They have to have realized...people would wise up when the product couldn't meet past standards...smh Sakaguchi was their soul...should have done everything they could to keep him around.
    Thank You Shaq...For Everything

Dedicated Member
    The whole concept of XIII-2 was flawed IMO. I can't wait to get my hands on this game so I can REALLY tell people what SE needs to do to get the FF series back to glory. Because the Noel/Serah party ain't gonna cut it.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by Versus View Post
    I can't wait to get my hands on this game so I can REALLY tell people what SE needs to do to get the FF series back to glory.
    Why would you want to go into the game with that kind of attitude? You'll be looking through a lense of critique, rather than just enjoying or not enjoying the game.

17. Likes Cyklops likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    Why would you want to go into the game with that kind of attitude? You'll be looking through a lense of critique, rather than just enjoying or not enjoying the game.
    Well because I generally just don't like the direction they took in this sequel. Now I will say that I have yet to play the final game and I'm sure there will be a handful of things I will like. But I can't ever help but feel that XIII-2 is just an unplanned apology for the original game do to fan outcry.

I will play this game intently tho, like I do all major FF releases and form a 360 degree opinion on the game.

Superior Member

PSN ID
    XSpike
    Quote Originally Posted by Avrum View Post
    A real shame, because for me personally a lot of the problems I had with FFXIII seemed to have been addressed in this one. I'll still buy it no problem once it hits the US. Can't wait!

Well, at the very least now they can go gung ho with Versus!
    Yeah think I'll still end up buying 13-2 even though I still haven't even finished the first one.... I'll wait n see.

I just think SE dropped the ball once again for a couple of reasons. 1) The battle system although has been improved ~ maybe greatly improved over FF13s battle system but when it comes down to it, its the same battle system where its mostly auto battle. Now its auto battle with scripted QTE (quick time events? pretty sure thats what they call it..)

2) The story, as soon as I heard time travel was in FF13-2 my heart sank. All that said to me was that they couldn't come up with a good story after FF13 with the same characters without the use of time travel where they can make up anything due to well... time travel. So that really disappointed me, they needed to keep time travel in the chrono world where it was believable. FF13 to me didn't feel like it fitted with time travel, so FF13-2 shouldn't have it either.
    Last edited by XSpike; 01-04-2012 at 09:08.
    Bow down before Drippy - Lord High Lord of the Fairies

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    This is exactly the mistake they are doing with the FF series. take notice of it, they are basically trying to destroy all other RPG games out there by making FF do everything. one game will be open world, one game will be a linear piece of $#@! with a tease of open world and nothing really to do in there but to "oooooh, aahhhhh", another one with a tweaked battle system, basically the same but evidently better, Versus maybe open world? who knows. anyway, my point is, is SE has basically given there other titles the cold shoulder and put 100% effort into one title every single time, it's always Final Fantasy, everything is Final Fantasy. Personally, I hope the series falls flat and they lose a ton of money, because I am sick of Final Fantasy.

If it craps out, SE did this to themselves and I would highly suggest they kick certain higher ups in that company right out on their asses. Do they work hard on there FF games? of course they do. But they need to start paying more attention to other successful RPG's that they have made. FF is always there game where they do so much work and sooner or later they will end up losing a lot of money because the series will become stale. I want them to concentrate on other RPG's, just like they do with FF. In my opinion, they are to stupid to do that.
    Last edited by Bigdoggy; 01-04-2012 at 09:20.

Super Elite
    I agree. Final Fantasy used to set the standard. And now they are letting other games set their standards for them instead of just focusing on creating a unique and innovative game that differentiates itself from its competitors. SE shouldn't be trying to squeeze all these little things of other games in Final Fantasy. Bcuz what you get is Frankenstein.

Also, I saw some of Mass Effect in FFXIII-2 from what I've seen in videos. I really think they are just taking what people ask for and slapping things into the game.
    Last edited by Inzane2050; 01-04-2012 at 09:29.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    I bet this ends up selling more in the west, people seem to be more gullible, Japan has wised up.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    I'm a sucker for anything FF... even though I KNOW XIII-2 was a bad idea... I'll still buy it. Sorry.

I do hope they can XIII-3 and just get on with it now

Master Poster
    Square it's time to leave the FFXIII world alone...just focus on VSXIII and to come back strong remake FF7/10 and make sure FFXV is something special...it boggles my mind how Square used to be one of the companies to consistently put out the best games to the point where you could just blindly buy any of their games and be in for a treat...now? LOL
    Thank You Shaq...For Everything

25. Likes Ezekiel, AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    berts08
    Items User name styleManchester United
Gift received at 11-19-2011 from Cuguy
Message: couldn't find a reason the shop would deny you the purchase, so here ya go
    I really enjoyed ff13 so I cant $#@!ing wait for this game.

“Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” Arthur C. Clarke

PSN ID: berts08

Elite Sage
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DS
    Quote Originally Posted by LegendaryAim View Post
    Square it's time to leave the FFXIII world alone...just focus on VSXIII and to come back strong remake FF7/10 and make sure FFXV is something special...it boggles my mind how Square used to be one of the companies to consistently put out the best games to the point where you could just blindly buy any of their games and be in for a treat...now? LOL
    The merge killed FF and many of the developers behind the originals left. Oh, that and Wada appeared on the map.
    |My Playfire|My Deviantart|
    - SIG BY MY SISTER-

28. Likes MavSkipper, AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    Super Elite
    The merger has nothing to do with it.

Elite Sage
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DS
    Quote Originally Posted by Inzane2050 View Post
    The merger has nothing to do with it.
    Care to explain why not?
    |My Playfire|My Deviantart|
    - SIG BY MY SISTER-

Apprentice
    What did you expect?You make an embarassing game people don't like , then make a direct sequel and expect to sell well?It's gonna bomb even harder in the west, the only two protagonists are two annoying $#@!s.That might be okay in japan but here?not so much.

32. Likes AaronSOLDIER likes this post

Thread Information