Latest PSU headlines:

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 10 ... LastLast
    Soldier 95B
    **** will hit the fan, and the forums will come crashing down with a 500 server error at E3 2013

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    **** will hit the fan, and the forums will come crashing down with a 500 server error at E3 2013
    LOL most likely true

But we can compensate and get more servers for the timeframe

3. Likes MjW wishes they had posted this first.
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    I will finally be free of school so I can watch the live streams for E# this year. I'm excite

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    And I will get my ban hammer ready.

Another console war... whoopee
    I know right lol. I just hope the new xbox dosent do multi disc and has blu ray. That would really give them a nice boost considering all they have now for the entertainment side with apps. Sony needs to get away from that chip they using to so devs can easily make games for both consoles.
    Facebook-https://www.facebook.com/gameryuichi I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuuichi View Post
    I know right lol. I just hope the new xbox dosent do multi disc and has blu ray. That would really give them a nice boost considering all they have now for the entertainment side with apps. Sony needs to get away from that chip they using to so devs can easily make games for both consoles.

i will welcome the new users and traffic, but ugh.. 2007 all over again

overstepping the mark
    PSN ID
    SHAFT_N_BALLS
    Items User name style
    great times

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Ok... I was wrong. Happy?

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Quote Originally Posted by T0PGUN View Post
    great times
    in a lot of ways.. but also like troll mating season

YouTube Editor
    Items Tommy VercettiUser name styleModern Warfare 3
    Nothing will compare to when the forum was hacked and the hacker erased the IP ban list. Wow is all I can say....

8 years and counting!

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    They wanted to minimize losses from the xbox.
    That's one of the reasons.

Let's take your reason. Why was the Xbox losing money?

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    That's one of the reasons.

Let's take your reason. Why was the Xbox losing money?
    Because Microsoft created a poorly crafted contract with Nvidia. IIRC, the never made money of the original xbox, in fact they lost more and more as they lowered the price.

Extreme Poster
    Because Microsoft created a poorly crafted contract with Nvidia. IIRC, the never made money of the original xbox, in fact they lost more and more as they lowered the price.
    You can't tell me that those billions lost were due to the contract itself?

Elite Member

You can't tell me that those billions lost were due to the contract itself?
    The original Xbox could have never made money. MS wanted to get into the market quickly and made deals that allowed them to do that. Unfortunately, that meant sacrifices by MS.

They never intended for the Xbox to have a long term life. They wanted to see how well they could do in the market and this "experiment" worked for them.

So to answer you question, yes, most of the losses were due to how MS chose to get into the market.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    i dnt believe any of these rumour things.
    This is a local shop for local people you have no business here!

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Dyack View Post
    The original Xbox could have never made money. MS wanted to get into the market quickly and made deals that allowed them to do that. Unfortunately, that meant sacrifices by MS.

They never intended for the Xbox to have a long term life. They wanted to see how well they could do in the market and this "experiment" worked for them.

So to answer you question, yes, most of the losses were due to how MS chose to get into the market.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    That was my point.

They were forced to do that due to competition.

Matrix was saying it was otherwise.

Forum Sage
    That was my point.

They were forced to do that due to competition.

Matrix was saying it was otherwise.
    No they were not forced to do that due to the competition.

They made a stupid decision ( I don't know why) but to suggest that they were forced to make that decision due to their competitors is ludicrous.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Thats true. I even remember MS and Nvidia ending up in court over it.

Extreme Poster
    No they were not forced to do that due to the competition.

They made a stupid decision ( I don't know why) but to suggest that they were forced to make that decision due to their competitors is ludicrous.
    They made it pretty clear why they wanted to release the console early. It was to get a head start.

I'm assuming that is the decision you're talking about. Of course it's all about the competition.

Why else would they release early and ignore QA problems?

Forum Sage
    They made it pretty clear why they wanted to release the console early. It was to get a head start.

I'm assuming that is the decision you're talking about. Of course it's all about the competition.

I am talking about the original xbox.

Microsoft wanted to release the 360 early for multiple reasons. They wanted to get a leg up on sony/nintendo with a 1 year advantage. They wanted to end their losses on the original xbox asap. They wanted to make profits in the xbox/gaming division asap. (remember they invest 1 billion into xbox live itself (we don't know if they ever made that back with xbl subscriptions on the original xbox), in addition to the 4-5 billion put into creating the original xbox)

Extreme Poster
    Why are we arguing again? That's basically what I was saying lol.

Forum Sage
    Why are we arguing again? That's basically what I was saying lol.

Because you just reduced it to that.

The #1 motivator was making the xbox brand successful, and you can't do that without making profits.

Extreme Poster
    Because you just reduced it to that.

The #1 motivator was making the xbox brand successful, and you can't do that without making profits.
    I reduced it to that to make a general point. Which was competition. I know that there were more reasons...which is why I agreed with you, saying that it was an additional reason.

Point is, everyone does things to outdo their competitor. The pressure is on everyone.

Why did Sony choose the powerhouse route? Beside the fact that it also backfired on them and didn't exactly execute as well as they'd hoped...the reason they tried doing it is because they didn't want to be seen as an inferior product in front of their competitor's.

I also think they were trying to leverage other businesses from the PS brand...which imo is why they had such a horrible start.

They should focus on all aspects of their business...but as long as it doesn't hurt the PS brand...which is exactly what they did.

Forum Sage
    I reduced it to that to make a general point. Which was competition. I know that there were more reasons...which is why I agreed with you, saying that it was an additional reason.

Point is, everyone does things to outdo their competitor. The pressure is on everyone.

Why did Sony choose the powerhouse route? Beside the fact that it also backfired on them and didn't exactly execute as well as they'd hoped...the reason they tried doing it is because they didn't want to be seen as an inferior product in front of their competitor's.

I also think they were trying to leverage other businesses from the PS brand...which imo is why they had such a horrible start.

They should focus on all aspects of their business...but as long as it doesn't hurt the PS brand...which is exactly what they did.
    That is what happened with the PS2, and look how successful Sony was with that.

Therefore doing the exact opposite doesn't make sense.

Extreme Poster
    That is what happened with the PS2, and look how successful Sony was with that.

Therefore doing the exact opposite doesn't make sense.
    Yes, PS2 was the powerhouse for a shortwhile but once they realized MS was in the game and how power could be of use (Halo on Xbox) and I believe they wanted the power to leverage other mediums such as 1080p, 3D for movies and something that could utilize that tech.

That's something they did different from last time. They tried to push the envelope knowing that gaming wasn't going to get use out of it as much as people would like.

DVD for the PS2 proved to be useful eventually, Blu-ray is now just being utilized and it's still not entirely necessary when you can just install the games on the HDD.

Basically the PS3 went through all the rough patches because it was released a little early due to 360 and the inclusion of Blu-ray that jacked up the price way high (as well the hardware itself that wasn't apparently specifically designed for games...we don't even need the power of Cell).

I think Sony still kept the PS2 within the gaming limits...the PS2 was fully utilized for gaming, nothing else. That's why they never included the HDD from the beginning, it wasn't going to be useful other than limited caching and saving.

Ancient

IGN: Playstation 4 Will Have 2 GPU's

Wasn't sure if this had been Posted & didn't want to make a new thread incase it had.
    The PlayStation 4, reportedly codenamed Orbis, may utilize custom chips based on AMD's A8-3850 APU and Radeon HD 7670 GPU, sources have told IGN, offering the combined performance of both integrated and discrete graphics processors.

According to the*official product specs, the A8-3850 packs a quad-core 2.9GHz processor with an integrated graphics chip. The APU will work in tandem with the system's dedicated GPU, the HD 7670, a DirectX 11-enabled card clocked to 1GHz with up to 1GB of dedicated VRAM.

The HD 7670 is a rebranded version of last year's HD 6670, sporting identical specs across the board. If you recall, the HD 6670 is the same card that we reported*will be used in the Xbox 720. The implication, of course, is that the two systems will effectively go toe-to-toe as far as discrete graphics are concerned.

By current standards, the HD 6670 is an entry-level processor with a price of about $74.99. Benchmark tests place framerate performance for taxing titles games like Metro 2033 and Crysis 2 set to high settings at a resolution of 1920x1080 (1080p) with average framerates of just over 30 frames-per-second. The chip also supports HDMI1.4a output, which is necessary for the system's rumored 4k output. Naturally, a comparably lightweight operating system and console-optimized games will likely improve performance, but the PS4's real edge could come from the secondary GPU provided by the APU.

Onboard the A8-3850 is an HD 6550D, which makes the APU capable of running games at baseline specs and lower resolutions without the help of a discrete GPU. When the APU is paired with the HD 7670, however, Sony will be able to utilize an asymmetrical CrossFire configuration to share the load of realtime graphics processing.

Our sources caution that while current plans for the device make use of the the chipsets mentioned, it is possible that changes could be made prior to the system's launch.
    Now thats the same GPU the 720 has been reported having, the difference being PS4 having a secondary GPU which makes sense why PS4 is said to be more powerful.
    Last edited by TGO; 04-17-2012 at 15:47.

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Forum Sage

Interesting - Would've hoped they used more cards from AMD's recent line but it is still sounding good.

Thread Information