Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Inzane2050 View Post
    Microsoft will not build in the Kinect. It is a peripheral, an add-on, and will be sold as one. Accessories are designed to make money in place of the console, and that is how MS and Sony can perform so well as loss leaders.
    You sound awfully confident in that assumption, championing a system that just banned the use of guns on avatars and has few to non non-Kinect exclusives slated for this year (or last, for that matter). Riddle me this, does MS think it will be more profitable for them to try to rein in on the Wii market or stick with the hardcore gamer?

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    bolderdash
    when all developers start utilizing the full power of the current systems, i'll worry about getting more power on the next one. I don't know why everybody always looks toward the next big thing even through the current one isn't being used to its full potential yet.

Somebody get me a doctor, I ain't feelin' ill ...But I ain't feelin' this at all...

Selected Members Council
    Quote Originally Posted by btbam View Post
    when all developers start utilizing the full power of the current systems, i'll worry about getting more power on the next one. I don't know why everybody always looks toward the next big thing even through the current one isn't being used to its full potential yet.
    The next big thing is hardware tessellation, which can be utilized with DirectX 11; technology that eludes current-gen consoles. It's something that I'm excited for anyway.

As far as developers utilizing the "full power" of current-gen consoles goes, I don't think we'll be seeing titles that look better than The Last of Us or Final Fantasy Versus XIII. Uncharted 3 wasn't a huge leap ahead in visuals when compared to Uncharted 2. That's not to say that the games don't look good because they do but I really doubt that the current-generation will last as long as companies like Sony originally planned.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Ancient
    Seems kinda obvious, Playstations has always been powerhouses upon reveal
    they, like everything, get old quick

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Super Elite
    I wish the new consoles would release in late 2012 so we can have a final Assassins Creed game for the next generation.
    私は日本語がわかります。図書館で読みます。ビール飲みます。

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    I agree, in terms of graphics, games like U3,KZ3 and Resistance 3 are pushing limits. Sure we can continue getting excellent games in the current gen, but the visual aren't going to improve.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    bolderdash
    Graphics aren't the only things one can use power for. Its about what the system can handel. Yay, a game that looks photorealistic will be awesome, but to me, power means like an entire city crubling around you in real time with everything having its own physics, even the smallest piece of glass. My whole point is developers are not using the full potential right now so more power is just like adding a bedroom to your house when you still have spare rooms.

Somebody get me a doctor, I ain't feelin' ill ...But I ain't feelin' this at all...

Selected Members Council
    I'm a fan of physics in games too. You would need more power to successfully render large set pieces like an entire city crumbling around the player in real-time without seeing a notable decrease in graphics and frame-rate though.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 01-08-2012 at 05:16.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Forum Sage

Hmmm. Let me give you all a little insight on what's going to happen with the PS4. This is going by what Sony have done with the PS3. They will unveil a console at E3 which will have insane specs and then, upon release, they release a gimped version with half the presupposed specs and will chalk it up to cutting costs. They will tout it as an open console and market it as a COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT device with the ability to do things apart from gaming and then, they will summarily hold features hostage via draconian measures and the power of corporate lobbying and having activist judges in their pockets. Come whenever they unveil the console, divide the specs they advertise by half, cut the feature list by half and don't fall for the "SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM" moniker because quite frankly, it's nowhere near having the abilities of a computer or entertainment device/system that Sony is going to falsely advertise it at. Count on it.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    You sound awfully confident in that assumption, championing a system that just banned the use of guns on avatars and has few to non non-Kinect exclusives slated for this year (or last, for that matter). Riddle me this, does MS think it will be more profitable for them to try to rein in on the Wii market or stick with the hardcore gamer?
    Yep exactly. I think MS has made it abundantly clear which demographic theyre focusing on.

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    I'm a fan of physics in games too. You would need more power to successfully render large set pieces like an entire city crumbling around the player in real-time without seeing a notable decrease in graphics and frame-rate though.
    For stuff like that nextgen consoles will have ability to use compute shaders on GPUs.
    This basically means that they can calculate what ever they want on GPUs, including some hefty physics and graphics. (Battlefield3 did all lighting calculations with compute shader.)

It also helps for more exotic methods like voxels, ray-tracing and so on.
    -------
    Couple of nice blog posts about OpenGL.
    The Truth on OpenGL Driver Quality
    Things that drive me nuts about OpenGL

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    Pheonix7
    Quote Originally Posted by Morganator View Post
    Hmmm. Let me give you all a little insight on what's going to happen with the PS4. This is going by what Sony have done with the PS3. They will unveil a console at E3 which will have insane specs and then, upon release, they release a gimped version with half the presupposed specs and will chalk it up to cutting costs. They will tout it as an open console and market it as a COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT device with the ability to do things apart from gaming and then, they will summarily hold features hostage via draconian measures and the power of corporate lobbying and having activist judges in their pockets. Come whenever they unveil the console, divide the specs they advertise by half, cut the feature list by half and don't fall for the "SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM" moniker because quite frankly, it's nowhere near having the abilities of a computer or entertainment device/system that Sony is going to falsely advertise it at. Count on it.
    They shoot your dog?

We all know they talked a lot at the start of this gen, between the infamous '05 game videos supposedly real-time or what would supposedly be real-time to the dual HDMI ports.

Even with all that said, the PS3 and even the PS2 are still computer entertainment devices. The PS3 having a multitude of capabilities aside from gaming... Screw it, I shouldn't have to explain this over 6 years later. Either your pissed off at something else or you can really hold a grudge.

Earthbound
    Items Final Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy IX
    So if Sony say it's going to be a hex-core processor you honestly believe it will only be tri-core? For example.

Doesn't make sense. Because it would make the console seriously lack behind the competition and the PC's. You'd be better off buying a PC instead because that would be a more powerful entertainment system.
    Quote Originally Posted by neoxthexone View Post
    DC is the hero PSU deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll ban him, because he can take it. Because he's not a hero. He's a single guardian, a watchful protector. The DC.

Super Elite
    Why would someone run Linux on a PS3 when you have a PC with Windows?...

They didn't hold features hostage. Just don't update your PS3 and you could have kept your Linux. Stop blindly parroting what these hackers/pirates say bcuz it means nothing.
    Last edited by Inzane2050; 01-08-2012 at 10:05.

15. Likes Itachi likes this post
    Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    I'm not buying the PS4 right away. If it lacks the RAM I will know it once I see the actual specs and if that's the case I wont get a PS4, period. I might move to Xbox for my gaming needs if Sony lacks the RAM, I highly doubt they will on the PS4 but if they do, I am moving to the Xbox. But, I also have this feeling that Xbox720 or whatever the hell it will be called, if it releases I think you will see more concentration on kinect style of games and if that's the case, the Xbox can take fall for all I care. If neither system pleases me I will just go right back to PC gaming for my actual gaming needs.
    PSN ID: Intense_Peanut

This supposed release date of late 2013 suits me just fine. As for everybody being scared the PS3 will come out the gate costing 600$+, dont fret. Sony wont make that mistake again. They just cant. It cant cost more than 400$ at release date. Or we will see the same problem the PS3 had. Not a lot of people buying the system for the first 3 years.

Elite Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by O.J. Mayo View Post
    This supposed release date of late 2013 suits me just fine. As for everybody being scared the PS3 will come out the gate costing 600$+, dont fret. Sony wont make that mistake again. They just cant. It cant cost more than 400$ at release date. Or we will see the same problem the PS3 had. Not a lot of people buying the system for the first 3 years.
    I hope you meant it won't or else we are in trouble.

Forum Overseer

Quote Originally Posted by JVH View Post
    I would pay 600$ for it. The early days of the ps3 was great imo. No moronic kids online, just a mature and great crowd of gamers to chat and game with...
    Is this signs of me getting very old ? *sigh*
    Other than COD, I don't see this being an issue. BF3 has 0 kids. Must've heard like 2-3 of them in my entire 3 months of play. None of them were annoying either. I know how annoying kids can be on COD so you just gotta pick the kind of games that kids don't know how to play

Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    I hope you meant it won't or else we are in trouble.
    If you read the next line lol.
    Last edited by Omar; 01-08-2012 at 17:20.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Sony...are...

...HOLDING FEATURES HOSTAGE!?

Meh, they can keep them features hostage, I bought a GAME console.

ERC1980
    I don't know about you but i bought my ps3 to play games. not hack. and may i have a gander at the crystal ball that is in your possession. would like to see into the future as well. lol

Master Guru
    I think the PS4 and 720 are going to be rather similar to the PS3 and 360. Microsoft will focus on the social aspect of gaming as they did this generation, improve Kinect gameplay, and bring those third party multiplats with some great exclusives mixed in and Sony will go all out with a powerful machine and throw core exclusive after core exclusive at us. Hopefully Sony really irons out PSN and gets it right on par with Live but i'm sure Microsoft will have something up their sleeve for online gamers.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdoggy View Post
    I'm not buying the PS4 right away. If it lacks the RAM I will know it once I see the actual specs and if that's the case I wont get a PS4, period. I might move to Xbox for my gaming needs if Sony lacks the RAM, I highly doubt they will on the PS4 but if they do, I am moving to the Xbox. But, I also have this feeling that Xbox720 or whatever the hell it will be called, if it releases I think you will see more concentration on kinect style of games and if that's the case, the Xbox can take fall for all I care. If neither system pleases me I will just go right back to PC gaming for my actual gaming needs.
    Rumor has it the nextbox will have 2gb of system RAM. Is that enough for you?

Honestly seeing what they can pull off with 256mb of system ram (with 70mb being OS memory)on ps3, I can see them doing great things with 2gb.

Forum Sage

Quote Originally Posted by RedDragon7 View Post
    They shoot your dog?
    I hate dogs so, no.

We all know they talked a lot at the start of this gen, between the infamous '05 game videos supposedly real-time or what would supposedly be real-time to the dual HDMI ports.
    Hmm. They didn't just talk, they advertised the system as being much more powerful than what ended up being sold to us. Let's take a look at what they proposed.

Falsely Advertised PS3:

Dual Cell BE running at 3.2GHz
    512MB of XDR ram running at 3.2GHz
    512MB of GDDR3 ram running at 7xxMHz
    BD-rom 2x (x is for speed in computer terms)
    2 HDMI 1.3a ports for a dual screen setup
    3 10/100/1000 Ethernet ports for Lan with at least one being Wi-Fi enabled
    6 USB 2.0 ports
    Card Reader

What We Ended Up With PS3

1 Cell BE running at 3.2GHz with one core disabled and another core reserved for the hypervisor
    RSX running whatever. (can't remember it's clock speed in all honesty)
    256MB of XDR ram running at 3.2GHz
    256MB of GDDR3 running at 700MHz
    BD-rom 2x
    1 HDMI 1.3a port
    1 10/100/1000 Wi-Fi enabled Ethernet port
    4 USB 2.0 ports
    Card Reader

"Slim" PS3

Same as What we ended but minus the card reader, 2 USB 2.0 ports and PS2 backwards compatibility.

Even with all that said, the PS3 and even the PS2 are still computer entertainment devices. The PS3 having a multitude of capabilities aside from gaming... Screw it, I shouldn't have to explain this over 6 years later. Either your pissed off at something else or you can really hold a grudge.
    Exactly. It's a Computer Entertainment device. It was touted as having the same capabilities as a computer which is to say that it could run Linux and people could make full use of it. So yes, I am holding a grudge and rightfully so. We were ripped off without proper compensation.

Quote Originally Posted by dc89 View Post
    So if Sony say it's going to be a hex-core processor you honestly believe it will only be tri-core? For example.

Doesn't make sense. Because it would make the console seriously lack behind the competition and the PC's. You'd be better off buying a PC instead because that would be a more powerful entertainment system.
    No. I'm referring to how much they will stuff overall. Ram will be sacrificed, cores will be locked away and features will inevitably be held hostage in the name of protecting against something which is mere a flee bite in regards to affecting corporate profits.

Quote Originally Posted by ERC1980 View Post
    I don't know about you but i bought my ps3 to play games. not hack. and may i have a gander at the crystal ball that is in your possession. would like to see into the future as well. lol
    I bought my PS3 for multiple reasons and one of them was to learn homebrew and make indie games. You are more than welcome to take a gander at my supposed crystal ball. I'm just going by what Sony has done with the PS3 and even the PS2.

Forum Guru
    I'm pretty sure that they never stated Ps3 to have 512MB of XDR and GDDR3.
    It certainly would have been sweet..
    -------
    Couple of nice blog posts about OpenGL.
    The Truth on OpenGL Driver Quality
    Things that drive me nuts about OpenGL

Super Elite
    But the PS3 does have 512MB of XDR and GDDR3.

Either way, Sony never promised anyone anything. Preproduction specs change all the time and they don't have to answer to anyone.

Thread Information