Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim

Sony: Digital-only content delivery model "not possible" at this time

We may not see digital only next gen but we will definitely be getting more of it. I can see why sony is against it for now. It totally eliminates the need for BR.
    IfSony does break away from their 10-year PS3 plan, which they recently confirmedthey were standing by, then don't expect the PlayStation 4, or even the PS3, tobreak away from the disc-based mold.
    There's no doubt thatwe've seen an increase in the availability of digitally-downloaded games andDLC, but according to Sony chairman Kaz Hirai we are not yet ready to fullymove away from discs.
    "Relying soleleyon networks to deliver content is unfortunately just not possible," Hiraisaid at CES this week. "It's still very difficult to have consumersdownload 50 gigabytes of data or more."
    Given bandwidth limitsand the growing file sizes of video games, I tend to believe him. Wouldyou rather wait to download a 10-20gb game or run to the store and pick one up?
    http://www.gamezone.com/news/sony-di...e-at-this-time

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Not many people are in favour of digital only lol. Much of the world is against it, not only Sony

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitey View Post
    Not many people are in favour of digital only lol. Much of the world is against it, not only Sony
    Of course they are against it. It goes against their business model. I think much of the world isn't ready for it ,not totally against it.

4. Likes Thorzilla likes this post
    Elite Guru
    Much of the world is against it

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Good news. I like having physical copies.

Administrator and Visionary
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    lol Exactly. What is also against it is current data plans and broadband coverage of many countries. DD only = not getting your games to a lot of people. I will ALWAYS choose a physical medium over digital.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    lol Exactly. What is also against it is current data plans and broadband coverage of many countries. DD only = not getting your games to a lot of people. I will ALWAYS choose a physical medium over digital.
    Yep, very true.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    Which is why I said not ready for it yet.

Elite Guru
    Oh boy.

Yeah, the world isn't ready for it. Therefore it won't be happening any time soon. It'll be like the Vita does it: DD & Physical copies of games, for atleast 2 gens, imo. It works out well for Sony as their interest is in BR, sure, and that's a nice bonus for them. Though, if we were at the stage globally, where DD only would be viable, you bet Sony would hop on board that train

Forum Sage
    Oh boy.

Yeah, the world isn't ready for it. Therefore it won't be happening any time soon. It'll be like the Vita does it: DD & Physical copies of games, for atleast 2 gens, imo. It works out well for Sony as their interest is in BR, sure, and that's a nice bonus for them. Though, if we were at the stage globally, where DD only would be viable, you bet Sony would hop on board that train
    I don't get your argument here. We seem to be saying the same thing the article is saying but yet you disagree with me. The opposition to it is mainly because of the infrastructure.
    Last edited by Sub-stance1; 01-11-2012 at 16:52.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    So long as they give us the option its ok. They need to get those digital prices down though because some of them are ridiculous by third parties, mainly Ubisoft and EA.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Elite Guru
    I disagree with you saying the reason why Sony is against it, is based on their interest in Blu-ray. It may be true but its a very minor reason for why they wouldn't contemplate a DD only model. The article didn't mention BR, you did

BR is not the reason Sony won't follow the model. Them having an interest in BR is just a bonus to the fact that it is impossible to implement DD only

If Sony ever releases sales figures of games downloaded via PSN for the Vita, compared to games purchased retail - I think the differences would be huge. People(majority) want physical, that won't change for a long time, despite Sony's interest in BR

Microsoft would be against a DD only model for exactly the same reasons as Sony

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    the_mooninites
    Items ICO
    When i buy digital content i never feel like i actually own anything. I don't like it. Having the actual product in my hand is a lot better to me. They need to axe Bluray discs and bring back cartridges. Even better, figure out a way for the ps4 to play games on vinyl.

Forum Sage
    I disagree with you saying the reason why Sony is against it, is based on their interest in Blu-ray. It may be true but its a very minor reason for why they wouldn't contemplate a DD only model. The article didn't mention BR, you did

BR is not the reason Sony won't follow the model. Them having an interest in BR is just a bonus to the fact that it is impossible to implement DD only

If Sony ever releases sales figures of games downloaded via PSN for the Vita, compared to games purchased retail - I think the differences would be huge. People(majority) want physical, that won't change for a long time, despite Sony's interest in BR

That comment alone leads me to think that you didn't read the article because it clearly states:

then don't expect the PlayStation 4, or even the PS3, to break away from the disc-based mold.
    I'm sure that implies BR. Sony is against DD only for now because it makes no sense to go against a 10 year business model they have for the PS3. That would be like contributing to the death of their own format. Not to mention their stock holders wouldn't be too happy about it. They do have a lot invested in BR.

Forum Elder

This ^

I love digital distribution but i know the thing needs a lot of time to mature and get better. Blu-Ray is awesome for now and will be for a lot more time to come. It only hurts 360 fanboys to hear the word Blu-Ray as they know it's related to Sony. Microsoft in one way or another have to have a physical media next gen like Blu-Ray or Blu-Ray because if they went DD only, it's game over for them big time !

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    That comment alone leads me to think that you didn't read the article because it clearly states
    I did read the article. If the PS3 was DVD and not BR, Sony's stance would be exactly the same
    Last edited by Nitey; 01-11-2012 at 17:19.

Forum Sage
    I did read the article. If the PS3 was DVD and not BR, Sony's stance would be exactly the same
    Not arguing that. And the reasons for that stance would probably be the same too.

Elite Guru
    Not arguing that. And the reasons for that stance would probably be the same too.
    Not really. As Kaz stated in the article:

"Relying soleley on networks to deliver content is unfortunately just not possible," Hirai said at CES this week. "It's still very difficult to have consumers download 50 gigabytes of data or more."
    So like I said, it's a nice bonus that Sony can continue pushing their format. It is not the reason why we don't see a DD only world

Forum Sage
    Not really. As Kaz stated in the article:
    What? explain how dvd makes it different..

So like I said, it's a nice bonus that Sony can continue pushing their format. It is not the reason why we don't see a DD only world
    I never said that was the only reason. The other is the infrastructure like i said before. They have more to lose right now if we did go DD only.

Ultimate Veteran
    i think the PSP go was a test for sony to see if people wanted Digital-only content and it failed. its only good for music

Elite Guru
    I meant they wouldnt avoid DD only just so they can support the dvd or br, or whatever media their console is supporting

I agree that they stand to lose more, which is why I said the fact that the world is incapable of supporting a DD only console means it's a bonus for Sony, but it is far from a big reason they don't pursue that model

You said in the OP:

I can see why sony is against it for now. It totally eliminates the need for BR.
    You can replace Sony with Nintendo or Microsoft, and the reasons would be the same for either of those companies for not going dd only. BR/dvd/whatever is but a bonus as it lets Sony continue supporting it

-
    You may have the last word brosophagus, as Ive got a ton of work to do now

Elite Sage

Given the choice i'll probably take the digital version 9 times out of 10

Forum Sage
    I agree that they stand to lose more, which is why I said the fact that the world is incapable of supporting a DD only console means it's a bonus for Sony, but it is far from a big reason they don't pursue that model
    guess we will have to agree to disagree on that one. BR isn't the only factor but it is critical that sony sticks with that over anything else.

You can replace Sony with Nintendo or Microsoft, and the reasons would be the same for either of those companies for not going dd only. BR/dvd/whatever is but a bonus as it lets Sony continue supporting it
    -
    Not really. MS business model is not quite the same. If all of a sudden the industry as a whole were capable of DD only then my bet is that MS would definitely go that route because they prefer DD over the disc formats. They don't have billions invested in a fomat like Sony does.

Given the choice i'll probably take the digital version 9 times out of 10
    So would I. Whether people want to admit it or not the industry is moving towards it. It cuts costs and shortens development time.
    Last edited by Sub-stance1; 01-11-2012 at 18:12.

Elite Guru
    Umm. Not possible and not viable are two different things, Kaz.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I'll sort this topic off into the "duh" category.. lol

27. Likes Ghost likes this post

Thread Information