Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I've only played from FFVII onward, but this is how I would rank them:

Everything here is well-executed, so I don't have much to discuss. A lot of people bring up the linearity, but keep in mind that the linear paths in this game are perfectly paced and extremely varied. There's simply no need for exploration. The world of Spira is rich and very well thought out, the soundtrack is memorable, the battle system is user-friendly and tactical, the main character is well developed and the supporting cast is very solid, and the story is very mysterious and contains some strong hooks.

The story has a few lulls, the characters don't have enough development, the license board is flawed (at least the U.S. version), and the battle system is basically on auto-pilot (unless you want to make walking through enemy areas even longer by choosing every attack). With that said, everything else is just so high-quality and impressive, I still loved this game. The rich and enormous world that allows for plenty of exploration, the seamless battles, the incredible dialogue and voice-acting, the epic musical score, the mature and political storytelling, etc.

This is a great game without many flaws. The main reason I have it behind FFXII is because this game has not aged well. Other than that, the story gets a bit convoluted towards the end and Cait Sith is just a stupid character. The materia system is cool though, the story is up there with FFX's, the rest of the cast is very good, and this has the most atmospheric soundtrack of the series, which makes it pretty unique.

A very likeable cast, a charming world, a solid soundtrack, and a good story. However, the battle system is far too sluggish, and I didn't like the whole equipment leveling system.

An exciting battle system, a very solid soundtrack, and a vibrant art design. However, the dialogue is cheesy, the characters are annoying, the gameplay provides nothing other than battles, the world is very lonely, and the story has a host of issues (no plot progression until chapter 9 and not enough world development).

I felt Squall was a very relate-able protagonist, I liked Triple Triad, and the soundtrack sports some of the best songs in the series. However, I did not like the rest of the game. The story was very ad-hoc and short-sited for the most part, and once it did move to a grander scale, I felt it became pretty silly. The junction system was very tedious and leveling up was basically a punishment due to the leveling enemies.
    Last edited by Ixion; 01-14-2012 at 20:46.

2. Likes Sir_Scud likes this post
    Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Items Naughty DogFinal Fantasy IVDark SoulsGuerrilla Games
    Wow, thanks for all the posts guys. Nice to see how everyone ranks the games and whatnot. Started with FFI on my challenge, not too far. As for the FFVIII talk, when I was younger and it was my first exposure to it, I thought the game was awesome. I played it again and beat it like a year and a half ago, and to me, the story dies after midway into the second CD. I would not rank FFVIII very high in terms of story or combat.

As for FFIX, one of my favorites. However, I understand it was nothing special. My top five would have to be:

1) FFVII
    2) FFVI
    3) FFV
    4) FFIX
    5) FFII

Still liked FFXII a lot. Just not as good as these IMO.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    Lmao, what's wrong with hotdogs
    On a side note, only two could follow u at one time, was suppose to be a improvement over the fact ya party just disappeared into the main character in other final fantasys, didn't think people would use it to dis the game lol
    Guess people liked the thought of have 6 characters inside them that only pop out to talk, still one of the best thou

Sent from my Xperia S
    I wasn't hating, its my 3rd favourite (or fourth after V) game in the series. But its pretty accurate, who didn't run around in circles on it with the other characters behind you? lol

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Scud View Post
    I would not rank FFVIII very high in terms of story or combat.
    Really? I know I already typed alot in this thread, but I really feel the story of VIII was possibly the best the series has ever seen. And the combat was legendary.
    CONNECTION LOST...

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    The combat in FFVIII can be easily exploited. Leveling up really can be undermined just by having the right amount of powerful spell stocked to 99 and junctioned to the right stat. All fights can also be won by just GF spamming. To me, in comparison of the others the system was a cool idea, but needed to be tinkered a bit. Grinding in FFVIII was more about farming stock than leveling up.

As for the story, it starts out really strong and really does pull you in. However, once the major plot points are revealed, I just found it to be rather lame to be honest. I enjoyed FFVIII, just not as much as others. I will agree that the soundtrack was awesome.

7. Likes Ixion likes this post
    Selected Members Council
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post

A very likeable cast, a charming world, and a good story. However, I have mixed feelings on the soundtrack, as it contains some awesome songs, especially towards the end, but most of the soundtrack is nothing special if I remember correctly. The battle system is far too sluggish, and I didn't like the whole equipment leveling system.
    Well, what do you mean by a sluggish battle system? Does it take too long to dish out your normal attacks or the Trance mode? Personally, I felt it was similar to the battle system in Final Fantasy VII in that it would take a similar amount of time to fill up both special gauges, provided you didn't stick with the first Limit Break for every single character in Final Fantasy VII. Also, how could you not mention the Tetra Master card game within Final Fantasy IX? It was a lot of fun.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 01-14-2012 at 19:04.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    Well, what do you mean by a sluggish battle system? Does it take too long to dish out your normal attacks or the Trance mode? Personally, I felt it was similar to the battle system in Final Fantasy VII in that it would take a similar amount of time to fill up both special gauges, provided you didn't stick with the first Limit Break for every single character in Final Fantasy VII. Also, how could you not mention the Tetra Master card game within Final Fantasy IX? It was a lot of fun.
    The ATB bar just increases more slowly than the other installments (in order to allow for 4 character I guess), and the actions take a while to be carried out once you do choose something. FFVII seems to be much more brisk, mainly since you can increase the battle speed to greater levels. And FFX is fully turn-based, so everything goes as fast or as slow as you want it to.

As for Tetra Master, I barely played it and I remember not really liking it for some reason. Perhaps I felt it should have been simpler, like Triple Triad.

By the way, I went back and looked at the Final Fantasy songs I have, and I actually have more FFIX songs than any other game, so I guess the soundtrack is better than I remember. I changed my original post.
    Last edited by Ixion; 01-14-2012 at 20:48.

Super Elite
    Final Fantasy VIII has one of the best stories, I believe. But yeah, it starts off strong, then goes down for quite some time, then goes up again during the Battle of the Flying Ships, and then goes back down. It had a nice romance tho.
    私は日本語がわかります。図書館で読みます。ビール飲みます。

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    FatesServant
    I've played all of FF main line series, with the exception of FFXI. I know many people love XI, but in my personal opinion, I can never consider an online only FF a true FF game, whether it bears a number or not. If it was like WKC or something, then sure, but as it is, I don't consider FFXI or FFXV as TRUE FF's. That's just me and my opinion though.

Anyways, it seems that most people have summed things up pretty well, so I'll save you time and not give my personal diagnostic report unless specifically asked for it. As mentioned earlier though, if when you're done with your challenge, you wish to see an FF game good enough to be a part of the numbered series, try Final Fantasy Tactics. Best of luck, and completion of all these games is a wonderful feeling.
    -FatesServant
    Fate: the universal principle or ultimate agency by which the order of things is presumably prescribed; the decreed cause of events.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FatesServant View Post
    I've played all of FF main line series, with the exception of FFXI. I know many people love XI, but in my personal opinion, I can never consider an online only FF a true FF game, whether it bears a number or not. If it was like WKC or something, then sure, but as it is, I don't consider FFXI or FFXV as TRUE FF's. That's just me and my opinion though.

Anyways, it seems that most people have summed things up pretty well, so I'll save you time and not give my personal diagnostic report unless specifically asked for it. As mentioned earlier though, if when you're done with your challenge, you wish to see an FF game good enough to be a part of the numbered series, try Final Fantasy Tactics. Best of luck, and completion of all these games is a wonderful feeling.
    -FatesServant

I repeat. FINAL FANTASY XI

is

a

FF

game.

It just is.

Master Guru
    Items Legend of ZeldaInsomniac GamesKonamiNaughty DogNintendoMetal Gear SolidFinal Fantasy XI OnlineDark Souls CoverPlayStationDoomDemons Souls Cover
    XI was easily my favorite, you had to be pretty good to get far, and after i spend a long time playing it and quit, WoW seemed retarded in comparison. nothing will ever be close online as XI. loved it

Let's be honest: You sleep with anything that walks on two legs. Sometimes, you're not even that discriminating

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud

-FatesServant
    I have beaten Tactics probably 3 or 4 times. Easily one of my favorite games overall. That is definitely a good recommendation. Just curious, which FF is your favorite?

As for FFXI, I agree with Funeralfog. I loved the game and the community was one of the best communities I've seen for an MMO. People would actually help you out instead of being $#@!s all the time. I sank ungodly amounts of time into that game. Not an easy game, but I always felt that teamwork in the game actually mattered. It was so much more than pressing buttons to do max damage.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC

-FatesServant
    I tried playing War of the Lions for the PSP, but I didn't like how the battles were so long and took up most of the game. Not to mention there wasn't even a world to walk around in. Just not what I expected at all lol. But I'm sure it's enjoyable for those interested in strategy RPGs.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Quote Originally Posted by Versus View Post
    I repeat. FINAL FANTASY XI

is

a

FF

game.

It just is.
    It should still be a separate series.

Final Fantasy Online = FFXI
    Final Fantasy Online II = FFXIV

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    It should still be a separate series.

Final Fantasy Online = FFXI
    Final Fantasy Online II = FFXIV

You might be right. However, theres nothing we can do now. I've always felt that true FF fans should have at least took the time to check them out eventually.

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    I can't believe some people dislike X..I would put it as my second favorite after VII, I would say I dislike VIII more..that is one of the only Final Fantasys I've never been able to complete more than once, I just get bored everytime I try it now.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Super Elite
    As a fan of JRPGs, I dislike MMOs. If someone really recommends it, I'll try it for a month if it's still going on PC.
    私は日本語がわかります。図書館で読みます。ビール飲みます。

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    I tried playing War of the Lions for the PSP, but I didn't like how the battles were so long and took up most of the game. Not to mention there wasn't even a world to walk around in. Just not what I expected at all lol. But I'm sure it's enjoyable for those interested in strategy RPGs.
    Yeah, it's definitely not a game for everyone. Very different, but I'm pretty big into SRPGs. Back in the PSone days I really did enjoy Tactics and Front Mission 3 a lot. Two games I imagine a lot would not like. It is weird to think there was zero exploration and basically linear, yet one of my favorite Final Fantasy games. The story was pretty good overall.

Could it be...I am sleeping?
    Items Final Fantasy TacticsFinal Fantasy XIIFinal Fantasy XIV OnlineFinal Fantasy XI OnlineFinal Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IV
    How can you demand exploration and non-linearity from an SRPG?
    Who I Am
    _________

Currently Playing: Harvest Moon (3DS)
    Recently Completed: Parasite Eve
    I & II, Wild ARMs, Mario 3D Land, ICO & SoTC HD, Zelda: OoT 3D, VVVVVV, Gravity Rush

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Quote Originally Posted by Eltimas View Post
    I don't. Just saying that with many FFs being about exploration and not being as linear that I consider it one of my favorites. I obviously don't play SRPGs for exploration.

A minor update on my task. Got about 4 hours into FFI. I learned the hard way what it means to have a person die in the party. Some minor gripes, but so far I like it. Glad I started with the most dated game first.

Items Final Fantasy TacticsFinal Fantasy XIIFinal Fantasy XIV OnlineFinal Fantasy XI OnlineFinal Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IV
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Scud View Post
    A minor update on my task. Got about 4 hours into FFI. I learned the hard way what it means to have a person die in the party. Some minor gripes, but so far I like it. Glad I started with the most dated game first.
    I congratulate you. I played that one for couple of hours before I gave up. It was just too difficult. The random encounters are just too frequent. What version are you playing?
    Who I Am
    _________

I & II, Wild ARMs, Mario 3D Land, ICO & SoTC HD, Zelda: OoT 3D, VVVVVV, Gravity Rush

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    FatesServant
    My favorite Final Fantasy? Tactics. I find it to be the best one overall. Of the numbered series, however, I don't really know. Each of the game's have their own charm and things they do really well. Darn it, I might just have to write up my own review then. To keep it short right now though, I would have to say that my favorite is probably VII, just because of the whole nostalgia factor. I've played it several times in the past few years and I will fully admit it's not as great as people claim it is, but it still keeps me enthralled, so many years later.

@Versus: I have little doubt that if I played FFXI or FFXV I would probably also consider them true FF's. At the very least, I have no, NO, doubt at all that FFXI is a magnificent game. I personally, however, agree with AaronSoldier, in that online FF's should be their own series. I personally don't play games that require me to pay additional money to play. And now I simply just don't have the time or money needed to play an MMORPG. I would love to play XI though, maybe this summer I'll just bite the bullet and try them out, just so I can at least say I've played one of them.

@Ixion: I can understand what you mean. FFTactics is definitely a lot different from the rest of the Final Fantasy Series, so I can understand why some people would not be too interested in it. One certainly has to be interested in Tactics games to truly enjoy the game (if not to enjoy it at all). Tactics has an amazing story line, however, and if you read all the rumors at the taverns, the story line scripts, as well as refer back to the games journal, it can be found that Tactics may very well have one of the most complicated Final Fantasy story lines yet. So yes, you have to go out of your way a bit to truly understand the real story (similar I suppose in many ways to FFXIII and its lack of story unless you read the journals. Though FFT has a completely comprehensive story without reading the journals and chronicles).
    -FatesServant
    Fate: the universal principle or ultimate agency by which the order of things is presumably prescribed; the decreed cause of events.

25. Likes Sir_Scud likes this post
    FatesServant, you mentioned in a previous post that you'd write a detailed post about each Final Fantasy if one asked you to. I truly wish that you would do that if it's not much of a burden.
    Who I Am
    _________

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    I congratulate you. I played that one for couple of hours before I gave up. It was just too difficult. The random encounters are just too frequent. What version are you playing?
    The PS1 version. I tried the original nintendo version, and it was just too old for me. The random encounter rate is a bit much, but it hasn't annoyed me too much.

@Fate, I would definitely enjoy a more in-depth review if you so desire. Everything you said about tactics is so damn true. Exactly why I loved that game.

When I do finish FFI I think I will do a long review on it and what I thought of it. Probably do that for the rest as I complete 'em if people seem interested.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    I never played an SRPG before then, so I had no idea what to expect.

Thread Information