Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 ... LastLast
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Markus
    I'll be honest I've only played through VIII, CC, and FFTA. I've tried XIII and VII but haven't completed them. I am surprised nobody mention tactics advance (which was devolped by division 4-the developers of FFTactics, Vagrant Story, and FFXII). Has anyone else played it? It introduced me to tactical rpgs. I've been wanting to try the original tactics and advance 2. Are they anything like FFTA?

As far as Crystal Chronicles goes, thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a shame having GBAs were mandatory for multiplayer :/ I'm sure it held many people from playing it.
    Last edited by mini E; 01-17-2012 at 08:35.

PS4 Launch Edition
    PS3 60GB (Upgraded to 500GB)
    Phenom II X4 955, HD 7770 1GB, 6GB RAM

If you add my PSN say you're from PSU or I might delete it!

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mini E View Post
    I'll be honest I've only played through VIII, CC, and FFTA. I've tried XIII and VII but haven't completed them. I am surprised nobody mention tactics advance (which was devolped by division 4-the developers of FFTactics, Vagrant Story, and FFXII). Has anyone else played it? It introduced me to tactical rpgs. I've been wanting to try the original tactics and advance 2. Are they anything like FFTA?

As far as Crystal Chronicles goes, thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a shame having GBAs were mandatory for multiplayer :/ I'm sure it held many people from playing it.
    FFTA is not that great for me. I don't like that judgement system crap. The OP was mainly talking about the mainline FFs. Well, at least I was trying to narrow things down to them. The original is better. It also has a more mature story.

FFCC is total trash. Total trash. It's not a true FF game at all.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    FFI is good for its time, when you get near the end its like 'ohhhh... wow.'

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Master Guru
    Items Final Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IV
    I've played Final Fantasies IV-XIII with the exception of not having played XI and actually playing through VI for the second time right now (the first time I didn't complete it). If I had to determine my favorites those would be VII and VIII. I've played IV once, V once, VII more than any FF (probably five or six times, though not recently), VIII probably a little less than that, IX only once (same year the PS2 was released), X twice (didn't really take to X), X-2 once, XII once (same year this generation started), and XIII once. I've also played through Tactics about three times.

I actually want to play through all the numbered series, and this thread reminded me that there are still some FFs that I haven't even started (I played through a bit of VI recently, currently in the World of Ruin, leveling up, so almost done). After I finish up VI I'm probably going to jump straight to VII-XII. But I'll probably order FF Origins over Amazon soon to further my FF collection. Thanks for the reminder.

Currently playing? Skyrim (360). White Knight Chronicles (PS3). Majoras Mask (Wii). Final Fanasy VII (PS2). Just completed? Final Fantasy VI.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Or you could just buy Origins which was just added to the PS Store for $10, unless you can get the discs for cheaper.

I'm curios to how they fixed FF2 though, the US/EU version froze with the discs every time and this one point and I had to restart on my PS2.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    So the PSN version of FFVI has all those loading issues, right? I still haven't played that one yet and I really want to.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Its better than the disc version, the loading times aren't noticeable if you havent played SNES version, its only an extra 2 seconds when accessing the menu.

Master Guru
    Items Final Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IV
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    Or you could just buy Origins which was just added to the PS Store for $10, unless you can get the discs for cheaper.

I'm curios to how they fixed FF2 though, the US/EU version froze with the discs every time and this one point and I had to restart on my PS2.
    Thanks. I'll do that instead.
    Last edited by Fedos; 01-18-2012 at 06:06.

Currently playing? Skyrim (360). White Knight Chronicles (PS3). Majoras Mask (Wii). Final Fanasy VII (PS2). Just completed? Final Fantasy VI.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Items Naughty DogFinal Fantasy IVDark SoulsGuerrilla Games

I do not like Tactics Advance because of the judge BS. Thought it was silly. I actually enjoyed CC with two of my friends. We got pretty far into the game too. Really not a FF game imo. As Versus says, I am mainly talking about the main FF series, but some of the other games are pretty good.

As for FFI, I'm not too critical on it due to its age, but wow some of the things that occurred have pissed me off. At Earth Cave so far.

@ Ixion, you really can't go wrong with the PSN version of FFVI. As long as you like the style, I can imagine you will really like the game. An incredibly good story for such an old game.

Super Elite
    Division 4 should make another Final Fantasy game for us. FFXII was a great fame aside for that I wasn't too big a fan of the MMO-style combat system but it was as engaging as it was hard, but it was @%$#ing hard! Lol
    私は日本語がわかります。図書館で読みます。ビール飲みます。

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Markus
    Well I suppose I found my answer haha

PS4 Launch Edition
    PS3 60GB (Upgraded to 500GB)
    Phenom II X4 955, HD 7770 1GB, 6GB RAM

If you add my PSN say you're from PSU or I might delete it!

Selected Members Council
    Quote Originally Posted by Inzane2050 View Post
    Division 4 should make another Final Fantasy game for us. FFXII was a great fame aside for that I wasn't too big a fan of the MMO-style combat system but it was as engaging as it was hard, but it was @%$#ing hard! Lol
    I hope they bring back the Marks (excluding Yiazmat because 50 million HP is ridiculous).
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Superior Member

PSN ID
    XSpike
    I am surprised nobody mention tactics advance (which was devolped by division 4-the developers of FFTactics, Vagrant Story, and FFXII). Has anyone else played it? It introduced me to tactical rpgs. I've been wanting to try the original tactics and advance 2. Are they anything like FFTA?.
    FFTA was crap. "Your not allowed to attack" "No magic!" "Don't do this" "don't do that" bloody judges, judging random battles vs monsters telling you not to use your sword. Blah.

FFT was epically awesome
    Bow down before Drippy - Lord High Lord of the Fairies

Could it be...I am sleeping?
    Items Final Fantasy TacticsFinal Fantasy XIIFinal Fantasy XIV OnlineFinal Fantasy XI OnlineFinal Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IV
    People also argue that FFT is better than the FFT:TWotL (The PSP port.) Why is that?
    Who I Am
    _________

Currently Playing: Harvest Moon (3DS)
    Recently Completed: Parasite Eve
    I & II, Wild ARMs, Mario 3D Land, ICO & SoTC HD, Zelda: OoT 3D, VVVVVV, Gravity Rush

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    FatesServant
    Quote Originally Posted by Eltimas View Post
    People also argue that FFT is better than the FFT:TWotL (The PSP port.) Why is that?
    When I first learned about the PSP port, and what all was in it, I thought the same thing. As a huge fan of FFT, I was just biased against any form of remake, etc. Not to mention that they added in a few classes which are quite overpowered. The Dark Knight being one of them. Having beaten Tactics about 9 times or so though, and currently running through the PSP port for a second time, I do get the Black Knight. It's fun.

As for complaints with the actual game though, I almost feel as if the battles are easier in the ports. Almost as if the AI isn't as intelligent/ is more forgiving. However, after playing the game so many times, that could just very well be me getting better. Also, they changed a lot of the dialogue. For the most part it's better, makes more sense, and is more representative of medieval style speech. Some of the quotes that people love, however, were changed/removed. There is one famous quote from a character in that game that goes "Don't blame me. Blame yourself, or God." (or something very close to that). That was one of my favorite quotes, it had a lot of power behind it, but it was unfortunately axed.

As a true FF fan, however, I have come to love the port. The additional dialogues, the additional scenes, etc, give a lot more depth to the game's story. There are additional scenes that really help flesh out some of the political, and personal, events that go on. The increase in Cameo characters, however, is not something I really care for They don't hurt the game at all, but Balthier and the FFT:A2 character were not needed in the port. They are fanservice, and overpowered fan service at that. (Believe me, there were plenty of overpowered allies in the original that all still remain in the port). Another issue some people may have with the game is Ramza's voice. I've gotten used to it, but it's a little higher pitched than I would have liked. They gave Delita a good, strong voice, but Ramza's should have been a bit stronger as well. I simply never imagined him with a voice quite like that. But of course, high pitched voices go with kind natured people, right? Oh well, that's just my personal opinion on that matter. It's not a bad voice though, and I've learned to accept it.

So, all in all, Tactics is a great game. The port, while to true fans it may appear to be an insult to the original game, is a wonderful retelling of the story. Tactic's story is extremely deep, and quite intricate if you really read into it, and the additional scenes help make sense of everything that's going on. I personally support the PSP port of the game, though, as a true fan, the original will always have my heart.

And don't worry, I haven't forgotten about writing up my review of the FF series. I just need to find enough time to type it up. Maybe after classes tonight or tomorrow.
    -FatesServant
    Fate: the universal principle or ultimate agency by which the order of things is presumably prescribed; the decreed cause of events.

16. Likes Sir_Scud , Aldebaran likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    The original FFT was never released in Europe so I never got that (nor the Chrono games), but the PSP version was.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    FatesServant
    The original FFT was never released in Europe so I never got that (nor the Chrono games), but the PSP version was.
    This made me cry inside. I can't believe what life without this game would have been like. It's been my go to game ever since I was a kid.
    -FatesServant
    Fate: the universal principle or ultimate agency by which the order of things is presumably prescribed; the decreed cause of events.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    SomaXD
    Items PhotoShopPhotoshopAssassins Creed EzioKillzone 3Guerrilla GamesNaughty DogRaidenNoctisiPhone BlackVitaDeath NoteFinal Fantasy VII
    i still havent beat FFXI yet... but i stopped playing when XIV came out... now im trying to beat that one...

(actually XI is one of my favorite final fantasy games because it was also my first MMORPG... so i hold a special place for it in my life.)
    Vanik Tetsu'ya
    PS4 500GB//PS3 MGS4 80GB//PS3 120GB Slim//360 250GB Slim//360 4GB Slim w/Kinect//Black Wii 4.3u softmod//PS Vita w/32gb card

Items Final Fantasy TacticsFinal Fantasy XIIFinal Fantasy XIV OnlineFinal Fantasy XI OnlineFinal Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IV
    Quote Originally Posted by FatesServant View Post
    When I first learned about the PSP port, and what all was in it, I thought the same thing. As a huge fan of FFT, I was just biased against any form of remake, etc. Not to mention that they added in a few classes which are quite overpowered. The Dark Knight being one of them. Having beaten Tactics about 9 times or so though, and currently running through the PSP port for a second time, I do get the Black Knight. It's fun.

As for complaints with the actual game though, I almost feel as if the battles are easier in the ports. Almost as if the AI isn't as intelligent/ is more forgiving. However, after playing the game so many times, that could just very well be me getting better. Also, they changed a lot of the dialogue. For the most part it's better, makes more sense, and is more representative of medieval style speech. Some of the quotes that people love, however, were changed/removed. There is one famous quote from a character in that game that goes "Don't blame me. Blame yourself, or God." (or something very close to that). That was one of my favorite quotes, it had a lot of power behind it, but it was unfortunately axed.

As a true FF fan, however, I have come to love the port. The additional dialogues, the additional scenes, etc, give a lot more depth to the game's story. There are additional scenes that really help flesh out some of the political, and personal, events that go on. The increase in Cameo characters, however, is not something I really care for They don't hurt the game at all, but Balthier and the FFT:A2 character were not needed in the port. They are fanservice, and overpowered fan service at that. (Believe me, there were plenty of overpowered allies in the original that all still remain in the port). Another issue some people may have with the game is Ramza's voice. I've gotten used to it, but it's a little higher pitched than I would have liked. They gave Delita a good, strong voice, but Ramza's should have been a bit stronger as well. I simply never imagined him with a voice quite like that. But of course, high pitched voices go with kind natured people, right? Oh well, that's just my personal opinion on that matter. It's not a bad voice though, and I've learned to accept it.

So, all in all, Tactics is a great game. The port, while to true fans it may appear to be an insult to the original game, is a wonderful retelling of the story. Tactic's story is extremely deep, and quite intricate if you really read into it, and the additional scenes help make sense of everything that's going on. I personally support the PSP port of the game, though, as a true fan, the original will always have my heart.

And don't worry, I haven't forgotten about writing up my review of the FF series. I just need to find enough time to type it up. Maybe after classes tonight or tomorrow.
    -FatesServant
    Thanks for your ever-fulfilling extensive posts. I can get the original off the PSN, it's available there. I can also get the PSP port, which I'm more inclined to since I'll be owning a physical copy. But now I'm torn between the two, I always like to play the masterpiece in its glorious original raw version. Though the eye-candy additions of the port are intriguing, especially since there is going to be a wider comprehension of a plot renowned for its complexity.

The first Wild ARMs, even though there's an enhanced, prettier remake on the PS2, I averted away from that, and now I'm currently playing the original PS1 version. And now I'm having one of the best JRPGs experiences. The game is just great.

I'm eagerly awaiting your FF series review. But take all the time you want, no pressure there.
    Who I Am
    _________

I & II, Wild ARMs, Mario 3D Land, ICO & SoTC HD, Zelda: OoT 3D, VVVVVV, Gravity Rush

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    I've just started playing Final Fantasy IX again..forgotten how much I loved this one. I hate the opening segments of it, but once you get out of Evil Forest and you reach Dali and Lindblum its awesome.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Quote Originally Posted by Dave-The-Rave View Post
    I've just started playing Final Fantasy IX again..forgotten how much I loved this one. I hate the opening segments of it, but once you get out of Evil Forest and you reach Dali and Lindblum its awesome.
    Oh, how can you hate Alexandria? It's where it all begins. Might be a bit slow, but can you imagine IX without that segment?
    Who I Am
    _________

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    I bought FFVI off PSN the other day. Only got to the first save point. Haven't had the time to continue it yet.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Get FF5 when you finish it. Best battle system ever. Also, most underrated FF ever (yes, even over IX).

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Get FF5 when you finish it. Best battle system ever. Also, most underrated FF ever (yes, even over IX).
    That's the plan! I'm going backwards.

I always thought that I should go forward, to see how the franchise is developing. But maybe that's why I didn't continue since FF1 brought hell to my earth due to its aggressive difficulty.
    Who I Am
    _________

Thread Information