Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I need to seriously get over to my friends house and give this a download. I've been very excited/curious about this. I'm thinking it will be a strong title to compete with the best this year.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Superior Member
    Items Dark Souls CoverPS3 Slim
    I personally loved the demo. I thought the combat was a lot of fun, and I really like the art style. The only thing I didn't really like was the menus. I thought they could have used a little more work to make them look better. I mean in my opinion the game has such a bright, colorful, and awesome art style, and I just thought they could have done more to make the menus match that. It's not that big of a deal though and it really didn't take too much away from my overall love for the game. I will definitely be picking it up day one, and I can't wait!

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by I OU a Beatn View Post
    I don't think this game is ANYTHING like Skyrim. If I had to compare, I'd say it's a better version of Fable, which I can definitely see similarities in. About the only thing Kingdoms of Amalur and Skyrim have in common is that they are RPGs, lol.
    Haha Are you kidding?

Open world game
    Character customisation
    Do main quest or explore
    Villages with people who have routines and daily lives
    Factions to join
    Same classes (warrior, rouge,mage)
    Alchemy, smithing, enchanting
    Lockpicking, pickpocketing
    Stealth mode the same (with the eye even!)
    plus more...

at 2:48 the player is seen pickpocketing, getting busted by the guard and then has the same options as in Skyrim (pay fine, fight or go to jail). When I watched it I was like O.O haha. I can't understand how anyone can't think this is a carbon copy. This isn't a bad thing though, I $#@!in love it. Skyrim is my 2011 GOTY, I haven't played anything else since I got it, shameful amount of hours. The combat in this game is what Skyrim lacks for me. The stealth kills look amazing, the combat is AWESOME and it seems that more aspects of it's design I prefer over Skyrims .
    Last edited by Ghost; 01-19-2012 at 08:48.

Ancient
    looks a bit PC generic, gonna download the demo & report back before passing judgement

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    The only things I don't like about this game at the moment is the clunky camera controls and the fact that you can block, shoot arrows and attack at will without the need to have the items specifically equiped. I know that the shortcuts on Skyrim enable you to do exactly the same thing albeit a bit slower, but still. I'm going to play through again tonight I think.

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    Didn't know about this game until the demo went up on the store. Trying to play the demo, but it won't load past the title screen..just a blue circle that keeps rotating.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    The only things I don't like about this game at the moment is the clunky camera controls and the fact that you can block, shoot arrows and attack at will without the need to have the items specifically equiped. I know that the shortcuts on Skyrim enable you to do exactly the same thing albeit a bit slower, but still. I'm going to play through again tonight I think.
    Thought that was weird myself, running around with daggers and a bow and yet I can pull a shield out of my ass and block damage... right.. lol

After two playthroughs, this game has become a must buy for me - though I hope the bug I hit on my second playthrough is fixed: Sometimes when I exit a building the land below is gone, and it becomes a dizzy mess till I get back onto proper land.

Sig&Av by Kuro

Preorders:
    FarCry4DragonAge3DyingLightOrder1886Witcher3Batman:AKUncharted4

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Superior Member
    Absolutely loved it, day one for me!
    PSN ID: Bakous

Dedicated Member
    Its everything I expected from Dragon Age 2 and Fable 3 combined, day 1 baby, day 1 (unless the reviews say the demo is a lie).
    PSN and 360Live: Zombieking36

Dedicated Member

Played through the demo, and went back to Skyrim. Skyrim seems to be about a thousand times better.

Actually I'm kinda of surprised about the comments here. Skyrim to me, has set a new highmark for RPG's to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    Haha Are you kidding?

Open world game
    Character customisation
    Do main quest or explore
    Factions to join
    plus more...

at 2:48 the player is seen pickpocketing, getting busted by the guard and then has the same options as in Skyrim (pay fine, fight or go to jail). When I watched it I was like O.O haha. I can't understand how anyone can't think this is a carbon copy. This isn't a bad thing though, I $#@!in love it. Skyrim is my 2011 GOTY, I haven't played anything else since I got it, shameful amount of hours. The combat in this game is what Skyrim lacks for me. The stealth kills look amazing, the combat is AWESOME and it seems that more aspects of it's design I prefer over Skyrims .
    Pickpocketing, guards, fast travel, and a lockpicking mini game aren't exclusive to Skyrim. Neither is character customization. Or alchemy, blacksmithing, and enchanting. Or in-game factions. Or stealth. Yes, the stealth eye is similar.

Those similarities pale in comparison to the differences. Just from the demo, the map is a lot more constrained (maybe it opens up later on). I would not call this game open world based on what I've seen so far. Didn't see any of the random encounters that you see in Skyrim. As you said, the combat is completely different. The leveling system is COMPLETELY different - Skyrim you level by leveling up sub-skills, in Reckoning you get XP from quests and killing mobs. It couldn't be more different. The skill trees are also different. The environment is also different.

It has a lot in common with WoW. Colorful graphics. Skill trees that look exactly like a WoW talent tree. Loot system is identical (white items - common, green - uncommon, blue - rare, purple - epic). Items need repairing after so much use. Quest givers clearly marked on mini-map. XP gained from kills and quests (even the XP bar looks the same). I also see resemblances to Fable, and even Dragon's Age (which I suppose isn't too surprising). Actually none of it is surprising, because they're all the same genre (except WoW, but even that game still has many of the same elements as a WRPG).

I just don't see a carbon copy of Skyrim. I see a game that has many features seen in every good WRPG. Maybe you're just seeing Skyrim when looking at Reckoning because Skyrim is the most recently released game out of this genre.

12. Likes NightOnyx likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    Just to add the Demo is based on the 3 Months Old Build that wasn't created d by the 38 Studios but outsourced, so it may contain bugs.
    They've assured us all the bugs that may have been present in the demo have been fixed.

Anyway I'm getting this day one loved it"

14. Likes NightOnyx likes this post
    Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rsersen View Post
    Pickpocketing, guards, fast travel, and a lockpicking mini game aren't exclusive to Skyrim. Neither is character customization. Or alchemy, blacksmithing, and enchanting. Or in-game factions. Or stealth. Yes, the stealth eye is similar.

Those similarities pale in comparison to the differences. Just from the demo, the map is a lot more constrained (maybe it opens up later on). I would not call this game open world based on what I've seen so far. Didn't see any of the random encounters that you see in Skyrim. As you said, the combat is completely different. The leveling system is COMPLETELY different - Skyrim you level by leveling up sub-skills, in Reckoning you get XP from quests and killing mobs. It couldn't be more different. The skill trees are also different. The environment is also different.

It has a lot in common with WoW. Colorful graphics. Skill trees that look exactly like a WoW talent tree. Loot system is identical (white items - common, green - uncommon, blue - rare, purple - epic). Items need repairing after so much use. Quest givers clearly marked on mini-map. XP gained from kills and quests (even the XP bar looks the same). I also see resemblances to Fable, and even Dragon's Age (which I suppose isn't too surprising). Actually none of it is surprising, because they're all the same genre (except WoW, but even that game still has many of the same elements as a WRPG).

I just don't see a carbon copy of Skyrim. I see a game that has many features seen in every good WRPG. Maybe you're just seeing Skyrim when looking at Reckoning because Skyrim is the most recently released game out of this genre.
    Well said rsersen. It annoys me when people say this is just like Skyrims. I mean sure they share some similarities, but I mean that's bound to happen, they are both RPG's and one of the lead designer of Reckoning was a lead designer on Oblivion. Like you said though, Skyrim isn't the only game to have ever done those type gameplay elements. There are also a lot of other games it reminds me of as well, and I like that about it.

I also feel it's very unique though, and to say it's just copying Skyrim is just plain wrong. Honestly, I think I enjoy the combat of Reckoning more than I do of any of the other games you mentioned, including Skryim. I'm certainly not trying to say Skyrim isn't a great game, I mean it was one of my favorite games of last year, but there is room for more RPG's than just Skyrim in the world. Reckoning seems like a ton of fun with awesome combat and deep RPG elements, and I personally can't wait until next month to play it.

Super Elite
    I just don't see a carbon copy of Skyrim. I see a game that has many features seen in every good WRPG.
    I couldn't agree more.
    私は日本語がわかります。図書館で読みます。ビール飲みます。

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by rsersen View Post
    Maybe I am ignorant to the matter, but if you could show me some examples of another game that has all the things I've listed (all in one title, no various aspects across various titles) then I will understand. The only other games I can think of are Fallout 3 and NV, and they are of the same pedigree and by the same devs so they are void to this point.

http://reckoning.amalur.com/en/r/game/world The map is quite big, and is open (no loading screens except for cities and dungeons).

The combat is $#@!ing awesome in this game. The devs talk about creating a "language" of combat, with which the gamers can use as they wish in a way to express themselves. The variety offered is gigantic and the animations are pure magic. Yes the leveling system is different, this is true, but despite these things, I'm still pretty sure that there isn't an open world RPG out there that has so many similarities to Bethesda games. Just my opinion.

I agree with this, the game reminds me of Darksiders, a mishmash of tried and tested gameplay elements all brought into a nice package.

Carbon copy was maybe not the best expression, it's not EXACTLY the same, but the sheer amount of similarities to Oblivion/Skyrim were glaringly highlighted to me as I watched the 20 min vid.

I can't wait for this game, it plugs a lot of the holes that were missing in Skyrim, especially the combat and animation.

Super Elite
    Skyrim copied Final Fantasy. You can cast magic spells. (see where I am getting at?) They are far from being called the same game. Might as well say that Arcania is the same as Skyrim with how you are seeing it. Honestly, Reckoning resembles Fable more than Skyrim, but that doesn't mean anything; the game mimics nothing.

Just bcuz other WRPGs release doesn't mean you call them "knockoffs" of the more popular games.

Open world game
    Character customisation
    Do main quest or explore
    Factions to join
    plus more...
    I do not see how these are somehow exclusive features to Skyrim. They are mostly just WRPG elements. And how can you call a game with open world exploration, villages with NPCs, character customization, etc, copying anything? It seems this game is indeed inspired by Skyrim, but it is still its own as there is a fine line between "inspired" and "copied." The class names and stealth mode are the only two things that can be called copied. The rest are just RPG elements.
    Last edited by Inzane2050; 01-20-2012 at 11:56.

played the demo, and while the graphics didn't WOW me, I thought it was pretty impressive. My biggest thing with this game is THANK GOD for another WRPG. keep em coming!

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    I found it really generic, heavy hack and slash bore fest. The graphics were nice and the framerate was good, but nothing drew me.
    Last edited by mickice; 01-20-2012 at 12:05.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Super Elite
    Reckoning: Kingdoms of Amalur is being developed under the leadership of Ken Roslton, lead designer of critically acclaimed Elders Scrolls III & IV.
    On second thought, you can't copy yourself
    Last edited by Inzane2050; 01-20-2012 at 12:10.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Inzane2050 View Post
    Skyrim copied Final Fantasy. You can cast magic spells. (see where I am getting at?) They are far from being called the same game. Might as well say that Arcania is the same as Skyrim with how you are seeing it. Honestly, Reckoning resembles Fable more than Skyrim, but that doesn't mean anything; the game mimics nothing.

Just bcuz other WRPGs release doesn't mean you call them "knockoffs" of the more popular games.

I do not see how these are somehow exclusive features to Skyrim. They are mostly just WRPG elements. And how can you call a game with open world exploration, villages with NPCs, character customization, etc, copying anything? It seems this game is indeed inspired by Skyrim, but it is still its own as there is a fine line between "inspired" and "copied." The class names and stealth mode are the only two things that can be called copied. The rest are just RPG elements.
    We will have to agree to disagree. All I saw when I watched the vid were parrallels to Skyrim. Also, I don't recall saying that any of the features are exclusive to Skyrim, but the amount of parrallels between the two games is undeniable when rounded up in the context of one game (unless you can tell me a game that has all of those qualities I listed). Also, my OPINION that Reckoning looks (not graphically) the same in mayn regards is by no means a negative thing. I'm addicted to Skyrim and afterwards I can glide into something very similar that has features I prefer.

Super Elite
    Videos don't do it justice. I played thru it really does more than anything resemble Fable/Dungeon Siege but with an MMO/open world feel. But yeah, agree to disagree. Try out the demo tho for yourself. To explain the resemblances you have seen in videos, it turns out the lead designer of Elder Scrolls worked on this game.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Inzane2050 View Post
    Videos don't do it justice. I played thru it really does more than anything resemble Fable/Dungeon Siege but with an MMO/open world feel. But yeah, agree to disagree. Try out the demo tho for yourself. To explain the resemblances you have seen in videos, it turns out the lead designer of Elder Scrolls worked on this game.
    I've played through the demo 3 times already I LOVE it, the combat is going to be amazingly fun, all wrapped up in a great looking, BIG ASS rpg.

Ahhh, I thought there must be some connection. It explains a lot.

I watched the video on their site talking about combat, how varied it can be. All they need to do is fix the wonky camera and I will be one addicted happy chappy.

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    Is this part of a series or is it a standalone game? Usually when the title is long like this it means there has been a game before it.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-The-Rave View Post
    Is this part of a series or is it a standalone game? Usually when the title is long like this it means there has been a game before it.
    Apparently they planned the amalur universe for an MMO, but at some point it was changed to a single player action RPG - so I guess they got lots of plans for this series lol

Sig&Av by Kuro

Preorders:
    FarCry4DragonAge3DyingLightOrder1886Witcher3Batman:AKUncharted4

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-The-Rave View Post
    Yeah they plan on putting out a Kingdoms of Amalur MMO at some point. 38 studios was developing the MMO before Reckoning but when they acquired Big Huge Games they decided to make a single player RPG first. However, 38 Studios is supposedly still working on the MMO though.

Thread Information