Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    Veteran

Sony at CES 2012 - Content becoming more important

Sony didn't have a whole lot concerning the PS3 at CES 2012 but there were some game play areas. The quote in the following article is strangely worded but MS, Netflix, Amazon, Hulu and several other content providers are actually Sony customers. Apparently, the head of Sony Home Entertainment considers the Playstation to also be thought of as a customer. The products are in a state of flux but they do provide hints to the integration ahead, indicating the next game console will be much, much more than just a games console. Sony has always had to push the consumer market to advance and Sony is a big backer of 4K. There are also indications of tighter and tighter relations with Google and a growing support for Android. That will really be something if Google partners with Sony on the next console. With Google's deep pockets, that would make even MS quiver. They also make a good point that Netflix, love it or hate it, has a strong formula for direct delivery of content to the customer without a lot of technical mumbo-jumbo that the average consumer is afraid of.

Hollywood Goes High-Tech at CES
    11 Jan 2012

Steve Ballmer, Eric Schmidt and other technology executives might come to mind as some of the people you would run into at the Consumer Electronics Show. These days, you’re just as likely to see Hollywood moguls at the convention, not to mention Will Smith.

Why is Hollywood so prominent at CES? Because content continues to reign supreme in the real world and in the digital one.

One of the major players in this arena is Sony which is an electronics maker and a Hollywood studio. Sony is one of the few companies showing its own original content, playing on devices it manufactured.

“As a studio we’ve been coming to CES for decades and a big part of the reason is because we share a lot of the same customers that consumer electronics have,” said David Bishop, president of Sony Home Entertainment.

“Now that digital has come to the forefront, there’s even a greater opportunity for us to meet people and companies like Microsoft and Playstation because now they are meaningful customers to us — the same way that Wal-Mart and Amazon are meaningful customers for us.”

Digital has indeed come to the forefront. It represents about 25 percent of profits for Sony when it comes to home entertainment growth, up from about 20 percent last year and 10 percent two years ago, Bishop said.

Hollywood has also engaged in consumer electronics in different ways, Bishop said.

Celebrities come to CES in part because it's the perfect venue for them to showoff the technology featured in their films. Smith made an appearance at Sony's keynote to promote "Men in Black III" — a Sony Pictures film that will be shown in 3D.

“There is a lot of Sony technology around that, both on the production set as well as in the theater and that travels also to the home. Now 3D TVs are starting to grow in the marketplace, so it’s all connected in a nice way,” said Bishop.

But with digital at the center of how content is shared, there is some concern among Hollywood executives that tech companies like Apple could become a monopoly over how their content is distributed.

Miramax CEO Mike Lang, however, said he sees opportunity in competition.

“The key for any media company is to make sure there is as much competition as possible and many different players,” said Lang. “We just believe that is what has made content companies successful in the past and that digitally it will be the same thing.”

Miramax has licensing deals with Apple, Netflix, Hulu, the Latin American company NetMovies and with other subscription-based content companies, Lang noted.

“It’s a positive inflection point to be honest with you. I mean I love being a content company because what is happening around the world is two major things,” Lang said. “First, is globalization, where every major market of the world is building paid TV platforms or broadband subscribers. … Second is we are seeing many, many competitors: Netflix, Hulu, companies like Lovefilm in Russia — there’s four or five digital subscriptions, and our goal is to access them all.”

Miramax also announced Monday evening at the Panasonic news conference that they have partnered with the technology giant. Miramax's app will be part of Panasonic's Viera Connect HDTV. This app will enable users to access Miramax Films and will contain social features.

Celebrity-Promoted Products at CES
    Sony also has Netflix as a customer and sees the subscription-based company developing as a Showtime or HBO model, Bishop said.

“I think the benefit of Netflix is it gets people comfortable with the digital experience. It teaches them that they can watch movies on multiple devices, and we think that will translate in a meaningful way, moving people into the ownership model of digital devices. It helps build a habit,” Bishop said. “They’re not competing — different models of distribution have always complemented one another.”

Sauce
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

ERC1980
    there is no doubt sony will be bringing the most unique, exciting and exclusive content for 2012. That much is indesputable.

3. Likes Kauldron likes this post
    PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    sauce indeed!

Extreme Poster
    That watch is...me...

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    Items User name style
    but you have to sync your phone via bluetooth...

Extreme Poster
    that's not a watch?

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by ERC1980 View Post
    there is no doubt sony will be bringing the most unique, exciting and exclusive content for 2012. That much is indesputable.
    No doubt about that.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    that's not a watch?
    The watch part is a minor function. It can store 255 widgets, some requiring synching with an Android smartphone but others run on the smart watch. It appears it might also be a smartphone on its own. If so, with a bluetooth headset, it would be a slick hands free portable system, especially if it has voice recognition. $149 is not bad either. Don't know about that wrist band but it seems to be needed to dock it in place.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/1/10/26...iew-2-hands-on
    Sony Smart Watch (aka Sony Ericsson LiveView 2) hands-on
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

Forum Sage

Sony definitely has some interesting gadgets coming out but I'm disappointed they haven't embraced the OLED TV market. As it stands now, only Samsung and LG are in that market. This year's CES though has - by and large - been a major downer.

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    I was reading about how Microsoft is not in debt the other day. With all these devices and things coming from Sony, it's just hard for me to believe they are in debt and MS isn't. I mean, I would expect the company not in debt to be spitting out this much quality content.

I am excited about the PS Vita and I may look into a 3D TV this year. This is a very exciting year in technology in general.

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by ERC1980 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    No doubt about that.
    Oh please... Sony was buried at CES. So many other companies bringing content and products out that were at CES. You go through all the tech sites and you barely see any mention of Sony because they've been overshadowed by a multitude of companies bringing tech products to market.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    Items User name style
    really

Super Elite
    Let's look back on some of the highlights of CES 2012, why don't we?

私は日本語がわかります。図書館で読みます。ビール飲みます。

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    Items User name style
    bwahaaahaaha!!! wow that was......a Fail!

Veteran
    Hmmmmm....interesting.

Intelligent Peak LED.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    I am excited about the PS Vita and I may look into a 3D TV this year. This is a very exciting year in technology in general.
    Do it, do it!

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Oh please... Sony was buried at CES. So many other companies bringing content and products out that were at CES. You go through all the tech sites and you barely see any mention of Sony because they've been overshadowed by a multitude of companies bringing tech products to market.
    That doesn't change what ERC said, he said bringing out the most unique, exciting exclusive content. I didn't watch anything other than the Sony keynote, so I'm unaware if any other companies made an appearance who pioneer and champion their tech into movie sets, sports events and gaming studios, publishing content from music artists, films, video games into homes that have that same companies line of products (Bravia TVs, PS3s, Sony pads and smartphones). If there is such a company I would like to check out their keynote on youtube. Seems like Sony are the ones bringing the most relevant tech and content to me, physical and digital.
    Last edited by Ghost; 01-15-2012 at 05:54.

Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    No matter who is bringing out the most exclusive content, I'm excited to see what the coming years will bring us. Something I definitely plan on investing in in the coming years is a 3D TV. I have only had a very brief experience in the 3D world, and would like to get in on the action.

2012 will be a great year, thanks to both ​Sony and Microsoft.
    Read my work on Medium, my blog, and connect with me on Twitter.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    Do it, do it! That doesn't change what ERC said, he said bringing out the most unique, exciting exclusive content. I didn't watch anything other than the Sony keynote, so I'm unaware if any other companies made an appearance who pioneer and champion their tech into movie sets, sports events and gaming studios, publishing content from music artists, films, video games into homes that have that same companies line of products (Bravia TVs, PS3s, Sony pads and smartphones). If there is such a company I would like to check out their keynote on youtube. Seems like Sony are the ones bringing the most relevant tech and content to me, physical and digital.
    +rep

Master Guru
    You can count on Sony to deliver the most unique gaming experience year in year out. They've only been doing it for over a decade now.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III

That doesn't change what ERC said, he said bringing out the most unique, exciting exclusive content. I didn't watch anything other than the Sony keynote, so I'm unaware if any other companies made an appearance who pioneer and champion their tech into movie sets, sports events and gaming studios, publishing content from music artists, films, video games into homes that have that same companies line of products (Bravia TVs, PS3s, Sony pads and smartphones). If there is such a company I would like to check out their keynote on youtube. Seems like Sony are the ones bringing the most relevant tech and content to me, physical and digital.
    As you said... you don't know. Go read up on CES I guess, if you're interesting in anything not Sony-related. There is a bunch of stuff that's being done by other companies. So, yes, it changes what ERC said immensely because Sony isn't the be all, end all, of consumer electronics and content. If all you're interested in is what Sony is bringing to you, then that's good for you. However, that doesn't get around the fact that plenty of other compaines, Asus, LG, Vizio, Google, Microsoft, just to know a few, are bringing all kinds of tech and content to consumers. There's nothing particularly unique about Sony's content.

Master Guru
    Sony is an entertainment juggernaut. The absolute best in the business. All those other companies you mention can't hold a candle to the innovation that Sony has brought to the industry.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    As you said... you don't know. Go read up on CES I guess, if you're interesting in anything not Sony-related. There is a bunch of stuff that's being done by other companies. So, yes, it changes what ERC said immensely because Sony isn't the be all, end all, of consumer electronics and content. If all you're interested in is what Sony is bringing to you, then that's good for you. However, that doesn't get around the fact that plenty of other compaines, Asus, LG, Vizio, Google, Microsoft, just to know a few, are bringing all kinds of tech and content to consumers. There's nothing particularly unique about Sony's content.
    I don't need to read up, I know there isn't another company that has it's fingers in so many pies and so many levels of content development and distribution. As I said, I will gladly stand corrected but you don't seem to know of any either. I guess Sir Howard Stringer was lying when he said Sony have 50,000 - 60,000 products in their current line...Hollywood movies, $#@!loads of games, TV shows, music, all being beamed to their TVs, PS3s, pads and smartphones.
    Last edited by Ghost; 01-15-2012 at 07:26.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    I don't need to read up, I know there isn't another company that has it's fingers in so many pies and so many levels of content development and distribution. As I said, I will gladly stand corrected but you don't seem to know of any either. I guess Sir Howard Stringer was lying when he said Sony have 50,000 - 60,000 products in their current line...Hollywood movies, $#@!loads of games, TV shows, music, all being beamed to their TVs, PS3s, pads and smartphones.
    LOL. ok. They can have all the products they want, in as many pies as they want... doesn't change that they are overshadowed by multiple companies, especially at CES lol.

I never said they didn't have a lot of products. My reply was to rebut that some people think Sony have the best/most unique tech, and best content, and that simply just isn't true. smh

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by TDbank24 View Post
    Sony is an entertainment juggernaut. The absolute best in the business. All those other companies you mention can't hold a candle to the innovation that Sony has brought to the industry.
    Out of nothing more than morbid curiosity, what have Sony innovated with?

Obligatory TapaTalk signature.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Yeah, can't wait to read this... lol

Thread Information