Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Master Sage
    Items User name styleLegend of ZeldaDiablo IIIHeath LedgerJoker (limited ICON)Title Style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

The Last of Us: New gameplay details

Last December Naughty Dog unveiled an elusive PS3 exclusive at Spike’s ‘Video Game Awards’ titled The Last of Us -- screenshots can be found here. Shrouded in mystery, the game quickly gained mass attention which spurred speculation about the game’s premise, character connection, & type of gameplay the game will deliver when it sees release in late 2012/early 2013.

Today new details on the game’s gameplay have been shared & it is sounding like The Last of Us will deliver an experience that is quite the departure from Uncharted.

In the latest issue of Official PlayStation Magazine, they have a cover story about The Last of Us & as subscribers get their copies, details revealed in the issue are beginning to surface. A forum user on GameTrailers has shared some of the details from the magazine & they help paint a clearer picture as to what to expect from The Last of Us.

According to the details posted, The Last of Us won’t be as linear as Uncharted; however, it also won’t be an open-world game. Players will be able to enter various locations like coffee shops but doing so is completely optional. In the debut trailer, you saw Joel and Ellie scavenging for ammo & that was for a reason as ammo shall be in short supply, so gunfights will not play a major role like they have in Uncharted. Joel and Ellie will work together but details on how they will weren't revealed, though it is said it won’t be in an obvious manner.

Details:

-Not as linear as the Uncharted games but not open world, you can choose to go into places such as a coffee shop but its optional

-Ammo is in short supply, so don't expect shootouts like in uncharted.

-There will be situations where you have to help the other, but not in an obvious way.
    Source

Not a whole lot of info yet but ill post more as it becomes available.

Once more into the fray.
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live and die on this day.

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    Im betting we won't see anything substantial til E3.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Forum Sage

This game = awesome so far.

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    This game became awesome the second I knew Naughty Dog is behind it. Each time I read something more, I want it that much more. ><

Sig&Av by Kuro

Summoning (Destiny of) spirits as I venture back into (FFX) Spira. With a bit of "Catching 'em All!" on the side.

PS4 Preorders: WatchDogsWitcher3DyingLight

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Not as linear but not open world. damn
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzyreactor
    Nothing more exciting than bringing home a brand new console and watching a download screen for a hour.

yay, next gen!

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    The second the director of uncharted 2 was behind it people wet their pants in excitement.

PS4 has little to no competition.

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    The second the director of uncharted 2 was behind it people wet their pants in excitement.
    It definitely has me more hyped and at the same time explains a lot about U3.

I talk to myself because I'm the only one whose answers I accept.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    I'm in no hurry to get this actually. Take your time ND. I know it'll be worth it.

9. Likes Minnzy wishes they had posted this first.
    Apprentice
    can't picture a major multiplayer at this time but i certainly smell co-op... i don't like the idea of ellie tagging along, hopefully some missions will be solo survival for a good length.
    Last edited by lee___radio; 01-15-2012 at 05:51.

629 performance center snub, strictly .44 magnum buffalo bore!

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    bolderdash
    Game is way too hyped. Its just going to fail to live up too. I think it will be a good game and interesting but one teaser said it would be industry changing. That just makes me doubt it more. I'm staying mildly excited and optimistic till we actually see something substantial about it.

Somebody get me a doctor, I ain't feelin' ill ...But I ain't feelin' this at all...

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Equinoqs
    Items Big BossFinal Fantasy XIILBP NarikoDemons Souls Cover
    Part of the fun of a new game announcement is the hype. You don't want to believe everything you hear about a game, but you want to enjoy the excitement and anticipation (at least until more concrete details arrive).

Shut up and play games

PSN ID
    matthado
    This game looks like it is going to be epic, much like the Uncharted series.

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    I'm glad it isn't completely open world..cause most games that are often lose focus. That's why I can never complete games like GTA, there is just TOO much to do. I'm glad they have found a middle point.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

15. Likes Nuvian wishes they had posted this first.
    Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    I dont like adventure survivalist games, i find them very boring and repetetive. I dont know how they are going to change the industry with another adventure genre game.

Master Sage
    Items User name styleLegend of ZeldaDiablo IIIHeath LedgerJoker (limited ICON)Title Style
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-The-Rave View Post
    I'm glad it isn't completely open world..cause most games that are often lose focus. That's why I can never complete games like GTA, there is just TOO much to do. I'm glad they have found a middle point.
    I agree 100%, its nice with some restriction, easier to control the main story thread as well.

Once more into the fray.

Forum Sage

Quote Originally Posted by lee___radio View Post
    can't picture a major multiplayer at this time but i certainly smell co-op... i don't like the idea of ellie tagging along, hopefully some missions will be solo survival for a good length.
    Thanks. You just killed half the excitement for me. Thanks a lot.

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    Quote Originally Posted by btbam View Post
    Game is way too hyped. Its just going to fail to live up too. I think it will be a good game and interesting but one teaser said it would be industry changing. That just makes me doubt it more. I'm staying mildly excited and optimistic till we actually see something substantial about it.
    this. so far, from what we know, i'm not excited at all.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-The-Rave View Post
    it is a shame to show you a city and not let you walk the streets.

"middle point" is a bit of stretch, not to be quick to judge “the last of us,” but take for instance chapter 21 the atlantis of the sands in u3: up to this point was pieces to portions enjoyable and when i saw the out stretched city below i was so sure we would get to explore it... instead i was force to run away from a site that i wanted to admire and experience. to open up the city for exploration, accessible buildings, streets, and alleys, w/ another hour of run and gun, to me would be, a “middle point.”
    Last edited by lee___radio; 01-16-2012 at 15:21.

629 performance center snub, strictly .44 magnum buffalo bore!

21. Likes AaronSOLDIER wishes they had posted this first.
    Veteran
    I'm so glad ammo is limited. It really brings in the survival aspect.

The pseudo-open world approach is exciting to know as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bio
    Yep, NGP will retail at $300. We all know it's going to happen.

Forum Guru
    Not as linear as the Uncharted games but not open world, you can choose to go into places such as a coffee shop but its optional
    That really bugs me. Open world sandbox is about applying game rules in unexpected ways. Linear experience is about tightly designed narrative. Choosing to go to coffee shop for no reason is marketing talk to boost sales.

24. Likes Inzane2050 wishes they had posted this first.
    Super Elite
    Naughty Dog took over Tomb Raider. Is it possible they can overtake Resident Evil as well??
    私は日本語がわかります。図書館で読みます。ビール飲みます。

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by rbrtchng View Post
    That really bugs me. Open world sandbox is about applying game rules in unexpected ways. Linear experience is about tightly designed narrative. Choosing to go to coffee shop for no reason is marketing talk to boost sales.

maybe buildings are open and you can choose to go in or not...if you do decide to explore, you might get rewarded with something you otherwise would have missed if you were too scared to scavenge that section. i like it.

Forum Guru
    Well the only reason why I'm not THAT worried is because it's Naughty Dog, and they've proven to know what they're doing. But the idea of having little branched out niches for players to explore can work well like in Dark Souls or horribly stupid (like the after thought "collecting" mechanic from Mini Ninja).

Master Sage
    Initial Version Of The Last of Us Resembled Uncharted
    It’s been less than a month since Naughty Dog unveiled its new project to the gaming world. Since then bits of information concerning the survival horror game have slowly trickled to the masses however all of that changes soon The Last of Us is the cover story in the upcoming issue of the Official PlayStation Magazine ( OPM ) .

New details shared by to the publication explains how Naughty Dog found it difficult to keep The Last of Us and Uncharted from looking too similar. When the first version of the TLoU began resembling Uncharted too much the team decided to start the game from scratch.

The development team didn’t want TLoU to suffer from what they call ”post apocalyptic cliches” so the wanted to keep the environment lush and green but at the same time not too reminding of what we’ve seen in the Uncharted series. They are also using a new way of rendering and lighting in TLoU, plus the camerawork is “rougher” as if it’s being filmed with a handy-cam.

Although TLoU isn’t about a zombie epidemic Naughty Dog does believe that no other zombie game has done the genre right. “Tthey’re like cheap B movies that go for superficial pleasure.” This is why The Last of Us will focus more on the relationship between the lead characters than anything else.

OPM made the comparison to Quantic Dream’s PS3 exclusive Heavy Rain but Naughty Dog didn’t agree with the comparison saying “David Cage meant right, but approached things wrong”, he forgot about gameplay and got caught up in quick time events. TLoU is a story driven game which means it will be on the linear side. However players will be given the option to explore certain areas that are off the beaten path.

Touching on the two characters in The Last of Us the playable character Joel is described as “no superhero”. He hates confrontations, which is a good thing since the cordyceps infected in The Last of Us are said to be highly infectious. Naughty Dog isn’t going to explain much about Joel and Ellie’s past in TLoU stating that “you’ll learn more about their past but don’t expect them to explain everything from A to Z.”

You’ll be able to find out a lot more interesting information about TLoU in the next issue of OPM however one of the more important questions concerning The Last of Us ( When will it be released? ) remains unanswered.
    Source

Once more into the fray.

Super Elite
    Story driven doesn't equate to level linearity, Naughty Dog. I want some more openness even if the visuals suffer for it.
    私は日本語がわかります。図書館で読みます。ビール飲みます。

Thread Information