Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Master Guru
    Items Legend of ZeldaInsomniac GamesKonamiNaughty DogNintendoMetal Gear SolidFinal Fantasy XI OnlineDark Souls CoverPlayStationDoomDemons Souls Cover
    depends. dark souls was easier than Demon's souls, but i didn't mind it. Castlevania SOTN was easier than the old ones and i didnt mind it. when you get into the hardest console IMO which was the NES, then it's bull$#@!

Let's be honest: You sleep with anything that walks on two legs. Sometimes, you're not even that discriminating

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    There has to be a balance I think, at least for me.

I can't have a game that is not challenging enough. However, developers can't just take the easy way or lazy way out (ala Veteran on COD series, or All Madden) and make it ridiculously frustrating rather than taking the time to make it more challenging that makes sense to the game.

A game that is hard for multiple reasons will always be better than games that just have seemingly infinite spamming grenades that have a 100% accuracy of reaching you; or one that makes you fumble, not catch a ball, throw a pick etc; at opportune times.

One game in particular (or games similar to it) that frustrates me is Demons Souls. I know a lot of people love it. But to me, it's just ridiculous how that game practically tries to make you break your tv/controller.

Gee, at least allow us non-elitist gamers the option to switch on/off certain things in the game.
    Last edited by Admartian; 01-17-2012 at 20:00.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    I think most of you guys summed it up pretty well. It comes down to each game and whether the difficulty makes it more fun or just more frustrating.

The example I usually give is with Uncharted and Metal Gear Solid (two different genres). Uncharted increases the difficulty by simply increasing the health of the enemies, which makes you feel weaker and just makes battles more redundant. Metal Gear Solid on the other hand increases the difficulty by increasing the awareness of the enemies, which makes sneaking more valuable and makes you plan out different strategies.

Veteran
    Items Rolling StonesGTA IVDeadmau5NirvanaSackboyThe BeatlesJoker (limited ICON)Call of Duty: Black OPSGran Turismo 5GTA NikoNaughty DogModern Warfare 3
    i usually always play through on normal first , then hardest setting

unless i alread played previous game in series, then i just jump onto hardest setting straight away.

games are way too easy on easy and normal imo, even my kid enjoys playing on hard more

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    I like challenging games but those that also has a easy free roam mode to just sit down and enjoy the game.
    Last edited by Cybertox; 01-17-2012 at 20:25.

El Presidente
    I think I prefer game to be a bit harder. Right now I'm going through Deus Ex on 'give me deus ex' difficulty. The hardest I could choose. Even the first boss was difficult because I am playing stealthy and didn't have the firepower or health. I tried several times to beat the boss and when I finally did I was thrilled. For the longest time I just picked 'normal' for my games. But then I realized the harder it is to play the more satisfied I am when I get by a really tough part.

So for me I like to ramp up the difficulty but will tone it down if it's too tough.

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    I like my games like I like my women. Face down, ass up.....umm hang on...

Actually, I enjoy playing the game on Normal first, then I play on Hard.
    Last edited by Lethal; 01-18-2012 at 04:02.

Super Elite
    False difficulty can go to hell but real challenging games are so much more fun!
    if I am in the PS3 or 360 section I will NOT post about the competitor just to please people, if you want to know what I think about the competitor link me to a thread in the appropriate section

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    i play all games on easy mode first and then the hard mode second and if possible hardcore more when its their. But i play on easy first to figure out the layout of the game and what is at steak and how the best way to deal with it in the different modes explained here...
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Forum Elder
    I don't like them easy but I also don't like them VteranInCallofDuty hard

Super Elite
    I like how many games have descriptions below the selected difficulty, and many games under Easy say "The game basically plays itself." haha
    私は日本語がわかります。図書館で読みます。ビール飲みます。

Quote Originally Posted by Zswordsman View Post
    i like my games challenging but only if the AI isnt crap. Uncharted 3 is a big offender. their AI was just retarded, all they would do is go up to your face without taking cover and shooting a f'ing shotgun round to the face. i really enjoyed Killzone 2 on Elite, They would flank you, take cover, throw grenades etc.
    Killzone 2 by far has had the best AI I've ever played against. My favorite game by far just because the difficulty of the AI and the multiplayer was fun as hell. KZ3 didn't live up to the expectations at all sadly. I really wish more games were made with AI like KZ2 had.

13. Likes Zswordsman likes this post
    I'm a real boy!
    It's not that I want games to be easy, or hard. It's that I want some kind of challenge. I want to feel like I earned the completion or progression. I want to feel as though I didn't waste my time and I wasn't just given a hand out. It has to be rewarding and involving!

A game can be easy but still be rewarding. Saga Frontier is an example of this. The game itself is easy to beat and progress, but it's rewarding for your efforts at the same time. Games can also be hard but unrewarding. An example I can think of are those insanely difficult top-down scrolling shooters. There's no reward for doing it. It was just difficult for the sake of being difficult.

Then there's games like Dark Souls where it's difficult, and constantly rewarding.
    Last edited by Tyrien; 01-18-2012 at 18:33.

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaredwings View Post
    Killzone 2 by far has had the best AI I've ever played against. My favorite game by far just because the difficulty of the AI and the multiplayer was fun as hell. KZ3 didn't live up to the expectations at all sadly. I really wish more games were made with AI like KZ2 had.
    Yup Killzone 2 AI is incredible. Probably the best i played this gen.

I prefer my games on normal on the first run, i hate too easy games, and if the game's gameplay and controls are fun enough, i play it on hard for the challenge.

PSN ID
    littlegoldfish66
    I like it somewhere in the middle also, I like a challenge. I hate when the games too easy, but it's also very frustrating when it's impossibly hard.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    AsuraOkami
    For me i like a challenge so play on harder difficulty's makes me feel accomplished when i beat the game. I really don't like to play a game on easy or normal unless i just want to relax and just play a game to enjoy it and without having to worry about dying.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    gangsta_795
    Items Joker (limited ICON)Red Hot Chili PeppersAC/DCEvanescenceNirvanaSteamEA LogoDiablo IIINvidiaManchester UnitedLightningPS3 Fat
    Yes. So that I can enjoy them. One reason I never finished MGS4.
    [CENTER]You see, madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little push!

Ultimate Veteran
    i also like my games in the middle why make a game so hard where it takes an hour just to get past one part lol

Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    It really depends on the game. Some games, like Dark Souls, should be extremely difficult as that's one of the main premises of the game. A lot of people purchased the game for the mere reason that they wanted to be brought to tears by endless hours of repeating the same thing over and over again.

If a game like, say, Super Mario Bros. required hours and hours on end of repetition, however, I don't think the game would be popular at all. It really just depends on the game, and the audience of the game. Most games are safest in the "normal" area, being not too easy but not unbearably difficult. But some games take pride in moving to one of the far sides of the spectrum.
    Read my work on Medium, my blog, and connect with me on Twitter.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    No, but I like women easy.

Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by AsuraOkami View Post
    For me i like a challenge so play on harder difficulty's makes me feel accomplished when i beat the game. I really don't like to play a game on easy or normal unless i just want to relax and just play a game to enjoy it and without having to worry about dying.
    This is how I am too. My one exception to this is horror games. I play on only medium (or hard if I'm feeling lucky), and I'll play it again on very hard after my first playthrough. Doom 3 still haunts me... Lol
    私は日本語がわかります。図書館で読みます。ビール飲みます。

Elite Guru
    Items Naughty DogMetal Gear SolidPlayStation
    I play most games on Normal, but I do like a challenge on some games so I play on the hardest setting depending which game it is.

Apprentice

not really

I prefer games to be difficult but not to the point of aggravating. With the exception of Demon's Souls and Dark Souls of course.
    Last edited by Ixion; 01-22-2012 at 20:40.
    [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/FRANKIE/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/IMG]

Easy no, relaxing yes. That's why I prefer RPG. I like my difficulty to come from managing the complexities like character builds, plot decisions, solving story plotlines, strategizing fights. I don't like really hard platforming moves, puzzle obstacles and other stuff like that.
    I like a game where I can sit back and enjoy my coffee or beer with my feet up at my own pace. I don't like those fast paced controller breakers that have you tense and on the edge of the seat. I used to. Now I'm lazier

Sent from my Atrix using Tapatalk

Veteran
    PSN ID
    SomaXD
    Items PhotoShopPhotoshopAssassins Creed EzioKillzone 3Guerrilla GamesNaughty DogRaidenNoctisiPhone BlackVitaDeath NoteFinal Fantasy VII
    depending on the game.

Uncharted for example i started all 3 on hard then did very easy (trophy clean up) then crushing (for platinum) I enjoyed the easy playthrough the most i think only because i didnt have to worry more about dying and could just focus on the story and graphics and stuff.

if i dont plan on getting platinum trophies... ill stick to normal or easy just to have fun with.

Also i buy so many games its not practical to spend so much time on hard when i should be having fun with all of them.
    Vanik Tetsu'ya
    PS4 500GB//PS3 MGS4 80GB//PS3 120GB Slim//360 250GB Slim//360 4GB Slim w/Kinect//Black Wii 4.3u softmod//PS Vita w/32gb card

Thread Information