Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation

Do you like your games "easy"?

Do you like your games easy or easier than say, PS2 and PS1 games in the past? Do you like where video games are going in terms of difficulty?

I don't, I truly don't. I agree with the thought that video games these days hold your hand throughout the entire game. It doesn't have to be as hard as say, Ikaruga for the Gamecube, but you don't have to make it super easy either. A lot of people won't even try Demon Souls or Dark Souls because it's too hard, but that's how hard some SNES games were back in the day. I prefer the SNES version of Chrono Trigger because it's just more challenging.

What I do like is games like Uncharted 3 give you a choice such as Crushing and Hard.

Currently Playing: Pokemon X

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I like my games somewhere in the middle. Dont want them to hold my hand (like they do now) but I also dont want them difficult like alot of games in the past were (Ico for one frustrates me, not sure how I feel about that collection right now.)

Sig&Av by Kuro

Summoning (Destiny of) spirits as I venture back into (FFX) Spira. With a bit of "Catching 'em All!" on the side.

PS4 Preorders: WatchDogsWitcher3DyingLight

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Items Final Fantasy IVDark SoulsGuerrilla Games
    I like my games to give me a challenge, but not the AI being complete bull****. For example, I beat CoD WaW on veteran, that game wasn't hard. That game was incredibly cheap in gameplay mechanics such as the Germans stockpiling large quantities of grenades and using them against you the player.

I like games like Demon's Souls because it makes you think about what buttons you press, what strategy you use, etc. It doesn't hold your hand and put a nice marker on where to go. I don't mind games that do either, but the experience of making it through a difficult part are far better than breezing through an easy game.

I just don't like games that "cheat" to make it "difficult". For example, maybe I just suck, but All-Madden difficulty is such BS. The AI will do whatever and force whatever to make sure it wins.

4. Likes Admartian likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    Items Full Metal AlchemistThe X-FilesFinal Fantasy VII
    i like my games challenging but only if the AI isnt crap. Uncharted 3 is a big offender. their AI was just retarded, all they would do is go up to your face without taking cover and shooting a f'ing shotgun round to the face. i really enjoyed Killzone 2 on Elite, They would flank you, take cover, throw grenades etc.

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    I like when a game has it all, easy, normal, hard, and once in awhile ridiculous. I don't like when they have easy mode and hard mode, I like it when it's already in the game while playing. Some RPG's were like that, sometimes it was easy, sometimes it was tough and sometimes you would run into a puzzle in that RPG game that was just harder then hell.

I do not like it when a game is all around easy, I like everything shuffled into the game.

hmmm, this topic is inspiring me to make a certain topic.
    Last edited by Bigdoggy; 01-16-2012 at 19:32.

Elite Sage
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DS
    No, but I like my girls easy
    |My Playfire|My Deviantart|
    - SIG BY MY SISTER-

8. Likes $Greatness$ , Ixion , Kwes , F34R likes this post
    Mm..waffles..
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    I always play sequels I played before on hard.
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

10. Likes F34R likes this post
    Master Sage
    Items User name styleLegend of ZeldaDiablo IIIHeath LedgerJoker (limited ICON)Title Style
    I usually start on the hardest difficulty available, gives more of a challenge and lets me enjoy the game longer, i don't usually enjoy replaying a game so picking the hardest usually is the best "fit" for me.

Once more into the fray.
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live and die on this day.
    Live and die on this day.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    I don't play much RPG style the closest games I own to RPG are Metal Gear.

I try to play on the hardest difficulty but often games do not allow it I have to unlock it with a play through on normal.
    In the NES and SNES days it wasn't so much difficulty more remembering where things were and when they happened.
    This is a local shop for local people you have no business here!

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I like the harder difficulties for the most part.

14. Likes Kwes likes this post
    Apprentice
    heck no! i like' em frustrating and tedious. like this:

Last edited by lee___radio; 01-17-2012 at 09:27.

629 performance center snub, strictly .44 magnum buffalo bore!

16. Likes $Greatness$ likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    the_mooninites
    Items ICO
    I like the hardest difficulties in a game. Sometimes too hard is to frustrating tho. I'm looking at you contra

Ultimate Veteran
    Items DreamcastPlayStationNintendoBullyGTA ClaudeFinal Fantasy IX
    A lot of badasses in this thread.

I mainly agree with Fenix though. I like the difficulty to be somewhere in the middle. So I'll stick with Normal as the difficulty setting in a lot of the games I play.

3DS Friend Code: 1349-4916-2054

Super Elite
    I like difficult, tactical games. Where you can't just button mash, but give an easy option for the kiddies s:

Devil May Cry is one such game.
    Star Ocean 4 is kicking my ass on Normal at the Phantom Ambush during your second visit to Aeon. I'm at level 36 and I refuse to grind my way thru. I made it passed the fifth round and then I made a **** up on the sixth. But now that I know I can revisit another planet to buy potion, etc, I can do a better job surviving next round.
    私は日本語がわかります。図書館で読みます。ビール飲みます。

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    A lot of badasses in this thread.

I mainly agree with Fenix though. I like the difficulty to be somewhere in the middle. So I'll stick with Normal as the difficulty setting in a lot of the games I play.
    Same here, however I enjoyed my crushing playthrough of Uncharted 2, but I have yet to beat drake's fortune on crushing. Its the only trophy I have to get for the platinum too.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    IOUaBeatn
    Items Naughty DogDead NationGears of War 3
    I enjoy harder games, but I don't enjoy it when developers intentionally put something into their game that is going to make it harder. Take for example the grenades in COD4 and World at War. That was just stupid.

Master Guru
    I like a challenge but there is a difference between a challenge and just plain bull****. Call of Duty games on Veteran have blurred that line. The newer games are a walk in the park though compared to the older grenade spam fest of Call of Duty 4 and World at War.

I start all my games out on either easy or normal and then work my way up from there.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    Pheonix7
    I'm not nearly the gamer I use to be. Only played a handful of games this year. So that's something of an influence, but I guess it's situational.

Sometimes it's just fun to kick back and play a game. At those points I'm not interested too much in strategy but rather mowing throw baddies and enjoying the level.

On the flip side, i can still enjoy a certain amount of challenge. I always play a first time through on normal, or if I haven't played in a while. After that point once I get the feel for the controls again, especially when earning trophies for harder difficulties, i up the ante.

Sometimes I can be a bit stubborn and generic and just use the same strategy or barrel throw a mission straight down the middle, and then I die. After trying that a couples times, it'll finally kicks in where "Hmm.. try this side..."

One thing I've never been much for was learning certain combos. Different weapons is cool and good, but combos can sometimes get a bit tedious.

I BE A PIRATE!!!
    Items User name style
    i like playing on easy on the first play through. this way i can fully enjoy the story without getting ticked off at the game because i failed ten thousand times at one part.

second play through though i go for the toughest.

steam id: ravioli704

Super Elite
    I mostly prefer games on harder difficulties but not to a point where it's frustating. I feel that today's game are made too friendly.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Golden eye and Perfect Dark have a good difficulty system which not only increases the AI hardness but also adds more objectives to do, couple that with the time limits for unlocking cheats gives you a lot of so called replayability.

The cheats can make the game even harder, play Perfect Dark on Perfect Dark difficulty and turn up enemy reactions and aim, reduce your health to minimum and enable the cheat enemy rockets.
    Last edited by keefy; 01-17-2012 at 03:38.
    This is a local shop for local people you have no business here!

Veteran
    Items Dark Souls CoverMuseSteam
    I have gamefly and like to play as many games as I can as fast as I can. For this reason, I tend to pick the easiest setting. You still get to experience the game, just at a much faster rate.

Just for the record, both Demon's and Dark Souls have been two of my all time favorite games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Birbiglia
    Why would you go talk about computers when you could stay here and go skiing and your skis will be french toast sticks!

Elite Sage
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DS
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Golden eye and Perfect Dark have a good difficulty system which not only increases the AI hardness but also adds more objectives to do, couple that with the time limits for unlocking cheats gives you a lot of so called replayability.

The cheats can make the game even harder, play Perfect Dark on Perfect Dark difficulty and turn up enemy reactions and aim, reduce your health to minimum and enable the cheat enemy rockets.
    Oh man that's right! TimeSplitters 2 did this. In easy, you'd only do half the level or so, but in normal and hard you get to do a lot more.
    |My Playfire|My Deviantart|
    - SIG BY MY SISTER-

Super Elite
    Playing DMC4 on anything but Dante May Die is child's play. Hell, Dante May Die is still child's play. We need a new difficulty when DMC5 is announced!
    私は日本語がわかります。図書館で読みます。ビール飲みます。

Unbound Mercenary
    I love a good challenge. I mean, if I just walked through levels without any difficulty. Why would the game be fun?
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

Thread Information