Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    ERC1980

Starhawk launches May 8th, public beta starts today!

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/...lls-out-today/

Hellz Ya!!

can't wait to run over chumps with my jeep

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Anyone here play the private beta? My older brother was obsessed with Warhawk and put over 300 hours into the game, but he said the Starhawk private beta was terrible. Just curious to hear what you guys thought.

ERC1980
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    Anyone here play the private beta? My older brother was obsessed with Warhawk and put over 300 hours into the game, but he said the Starhawk private beta was terrible. Just curious to hear what you guys thought.
    your older brother was wrong!!!

he probably figured it was COD, sucked at it and rage quit.

Starhawk is a thinking mans game

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by ERC1980 View Post
    your older brother was wrong!!!

he probably figured it was COD, sucked at it and rage quit.

Starhawk is a thinking mans game
    Like I said, he put over 300 hours into Warhawk, so don't give me that. And more specifically, I think he said the aerial combat is not as fun as Warhawk and that the Build-And-Battle system is a mess right now. Any truth to this?

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    will give this a try.

ERC1980
    Like I said, he put over 300 hours into Warhawk, so don't give me that. And more specifically, I think he said the aerial combat is not as fun as Warhawk and that the Build-And-Battle system is a mess right now. Any truth to this?
    well ok your brother has the benefit of the doubt.

but i disagree with him about B&B

you have to put some thought into were you place things such as walls and turrets. a lot of strategy goes into it. so no, i don't see it as a mess.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Wait a minute do we need to be a plus subscriber to get it today?

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    IOUaBeatn
    Items Naughty DogDead NationGears of War 3
    Yes, Plus subscribers today, Uncharted 3 buyers on the 31st, and everyone on February 21st.

I said this yesterday, but I'm excited to give it a try. So far, to me, it seems like people that loved Warhawk hate Starhawk and the people who hated Warhawk liked Starhawk, so that bodes well for me. Hopefully it's decent.

Super Elite
    Items User name style
    That is his opinion about the Aerial Combat not being as fun, which I don't agree with fully but do think they need to give us more aerial pick ups (like Warhawk).

Saying the BnB system is a mess though is just plain wrong. It works perfectly and its awesome, especially when you get a rare game where everyone on your teams actually strategize.

Click HERE for my Videos

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Just a note: NA PSN Update is up, download yer betas PS+ers. its like 1.4 GB. or so

Sig&Av by Kuro

Sometimes streaming Watch_Dogs

PS4 Preorders:
    FarCry4MetroReduxDragonAge3BatmanAKWitcher3DyingLightOrder1886Uncharted4

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    IOUaBeatn
    Items Naughty DogDead NationGears of War 3
    Played a couple rounds and while it's too early to early to make final impressions, I will say this - it is light years ahead of Warhawk. I'm very impressed with how improved it is.

Dedicated Member
    Items Full Metal AlchemistThe X-FilesFinal Fantasy VII
    Quote Originally Posted by I OU a Beatn View Post
    Played a couple rounds and while it's too early to early to make final impressions, I will say this - it is light years ahead of Warhawk. I'm very impressed with how improved it is.
    Good thing, at first i felt a little overwhelmed with the whole Building mechanic in Starhawk but after seeing some videos, it looks really good. I'll download the beta later tonight and test drive it tomorrow.

Apprentice
    any special edition pre-orders for this game?
    Last edited by lee___radio; 01-18-2012 at 05:03.

629 performance center snub, strictly .44 magnum buffalo bore!

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Played a couple of rounds and really enjoyed it. I hated Warhawk but I love Starhawk. Looks pretty incredible too.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 01-18-2012 at 05:37.

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    My net must be garbage, or digital $#@! just hates me this week.
    I get stuck in the "Loading" screen ><

Sig&Av by Kuro

Sometimes streaming Watch_Dogs

PS4 Preorders:
    FarCry4MetroReduxDragonAge3BatmanAKWitcher3DyingLightOrder1886Uncharted4

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Master Sage
    Items User name styleLegend of ZeldaDiablo IIIHeath LedgerJoker (limited ICON)Title Style
    Starhawk - Public Beta Gameplay Introduction Trailer

Once more into the fray.
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live and die on this day.
    Live and die on this day.

17. Likes Zswordsman likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    Items Full Metal AlchemistThe X-FilesFinal Fantasy VII
    man that video was good. This game was totally off my radar but now i'm definitely going to buy it. Also does anybody know if it will be downloadable like warhawk?

Elite Member

Items PlayStationSteam
    Just got through playing a couple rounds. I feel like the FOV needs to be a bit larger, but I'm still pretty impressed.
    I'm definitely going to play some more!

Master Guru
    Items Dark SoulsDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    Seems to me that Ixion's brother was talking $#@! all along! Glad that the general consensus is pretty positive!

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrath View Post
    Seems to me that Ixion's brother was talking $#@! all along! Glad that the general consensus is pretty positive!
    lol Maybe I should ask him to post in here and explain it himself. But like others have said, it seems those who loved Warhawk are hating Starhawk, and vice versa. And my brother loved Warhawk.

ERC1980
    Quote Originally Posted by Zswordsman View Post
    Also does anybody know if it will be downloadable like warhawk?
    physical copy for now. though most likely to be released on psn somewhere down the line.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    And just to clarify, my brah only played the private beta. Have there been a lot of improvements since then?

Apprentice
    here's what i have to say while still trying to dig this beta: first, i was quickly drawn to the music and the interface or what i call, "emmett's i pad," w/ useful options and some neat rendering, i was already excited... but not for long.

as an exclusive title, the graphics needs to step up. (unless that's lightboxe's style) it's certainly not my taste. sprinting and over the shoulder aiming looks appealing but pulling the trigger and throwing grenades brings very little connection and satisfaction to the action. all in all, it's fun, but to tag this game as "best multiplayer" is just plain uncomfortable. the mechanics are basic and to the point w/ virtually no learning curve. here's hoping the next version won't have any marketing tricks up its sleeve. thank goodness for public betas! i'll build some more walls and update if i feel guilty but confident some will agree that there's nothing deep about it.
    Last edited by lee___radio; 01-19-2012 at 01:49.

629 performance center snub, strictly .44 magnum buffalo bore!

Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    I played the private beta. It's pretty sweet, although it took me a bit to adapt to the adjust to the way the game was played. The strategic aspect of Starhawk definitely didn't exist in Warhawk, but that isn't a bad thing by any means. I've said it plenty of times: I hope players don't play this game entirely like they played Warhawk, and take into account the new strategic aspects.

By the way... If I was part of the private beta, does that mean I instantly have access to the public one?
    Read my work on Medium, my blog, and connect with me on Twitter.

I BE A PIRATE!!!
    Items User name style
    ok glad i ran into a thread like this. tried out the beta today. wanted to see what other people thought.

i'm going to be honest here, i'm right in the middle with this game now. maybe it was just the rounds i was in or maybe it's my play style but i don't know.

seems a little to easy to stay alive and get kills (especially on the space map) just built up a little fortress all to my self back on the raised pad at the back of the starting area. being able to bring sniper rifles (which are just bleh imo) and rocket launchers straight to you makes it way to easy. was able to go the entire game without dying and just racking up kills (played TDM). just stayed in a supply warehouse and sniped people and rocketed hawks. if someone landed near me i either:

A) blew up their hawk before the got out

B) blasted their body to meaty bits with the rocket launcher.

i know it might sound like a cheap trick but come on i'm not the first and i won't be the last to use it in this game. It just seems like you can abuse the B&B system. although it is pretty interesting to be able to set up a base anywhere on the map you want.

it was still pretty fun to play. though not as fast as say COD, and requiring a little bit of thought and strategy was able to get into the game pretty well.

didn't mind the flying to much but i've never been much of a flyer, so not to much i can really contribute here.

pacing seems pretty good, but can slow down a little. spent one match (CTF)wandering around for a good 3 minutes before i saw anyone even as a blip on the screen. although i'm 99% certain that's because it's still not a fully available BETA.

the maps are pretty interesting, nothing incredibly groundbreaking. i honestly thought Starcraft in third person. space platform, malformed world with alien freaks attacking guys with huge guns only complaint though is it's openness. liek with the B&B system, was way to easy to get kills from across the map. just zoom in with the sniper rifle (stupid slow bullets) and you can make out the faces of the guys on the far side plain as day. probably not an issue on some of the larger maps that we haven't seen.

there's no real learning involved, had to figure it out myself. so i'm the idiot trying to run away from a battle that tosses a grenade into nothingness. the response on the weapon select was a little ...sluggish for me. not as quick or as solid as warhawks felt. felt liek i really needed to push down on the D-pad for it to do what i wanted. also ...repair tool, freaking didn't know what that was due to lack of "hey first time seeing this crazy contraption? it's a tool!" took me about 3 deaths before i was able to figure out that the big yellow thing with the lights fixed trucks....

nothing much i can say about the menus. pretty much self explanatory. though i was a little lost when i hit return to homeworld. thought it would take me to the main MP menu (to switch game types) it goes all the way back to the MAIN main menu. nothing too big just a little weird for me.

i can definitely see where people would love this game and definitely see where people wouldn't buy it. best thing i can say is give it a try when you can. no harm at all in trying something for free.

steam id: ravioli704

Thread Information