Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Veteran
    The Black Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    MS, USA
    Posts
    4,719
    Rep Power
    50
    Points
    6,079 (12,000 Banked)
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation

    Buy or Sell: Four Year Degree

    Do you "buy" or "sell" the idea that at least a four year college degree is needed to live comfortably? If you sell the idea, then that means two year, tech, and things like job corps are still useful. If you buy the idea, then you believe to live comfortable you MUST have a 4 year degree to be happy money wise in this country, in these times.

    Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

  2. #2
    I'm a real boy!
    Tyrien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Age
    26
    Posts
    12,497
    Rep Power
    108
    Points
    6,226 (0 Banked)
    It's not necessary unless that's the standard for the field you want to get into. Unfortunately prospective employers will look at the length of your program compared to others. :/

  3. #3
    Ultimate Veteran
    Tutankhamun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Age
    24
    Posts
    21,503
    Rep Power
    130
    Points
    2,334 (16,356 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Both Steve Jobs and Bill Gates never finished college and I'd say they lived/lives fairly comfortably. Perhaps people like them are the exception but nonetheless it shows there's no golden rule to go by. If you are smart enough, and have a good idea that you can execute on, a college degree isn't necessary to get rich. Or even find employment that's fits your desired lifestyle money wise.

  4. #4
    I'm a real boy!
    Tyrien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Age
    26
    Posts
    12,497
    Rep Power
    108
    Points
    6,226 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tutankhamun View Post
    Both Steve Jobs and Bill Gates never finished college and I'd say they lived/lives fairly comfortably. Perhaps people like them are the exception but nonetheless it shows there's no golden rule to go by. If you are smart enough, and have a good idea that you can execute on, a college degree isn't necessary to get rich. Or even find employment that's fits your desired lifestyle money wise.
    To be honest I'd say they are exceptions to the rule. If you're going to pioneer a business then you can do fine out of highschool. If you're wanting to enter into a field then education is extremely valueable and almost necessary. The unfortunate truth is that employeers look at enducation on paper before practical skills that can be presented. It's not that employeers don't value this, it's that employers don't have the time to sit and let you demonstrate so it needs to be something on paper.

  5. #5
    Ultimate Veteran
    Tutankhamun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Age
    24
    Posts
    21,503
    Rep Power
    130
    Points
    2,334 (16,356 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrien View Post
    To be honest I'd say they are exceptions to the rule. If you're going to pioneer a business then you can do fine out of highschool. If you're wanting to enter into a field then education is extremely valueable and almost necessary. The unfortunate truth is that employeers look at enducation on paper before practical skills that can be presented. It's not that employeers don't value this, it's that employers don't have the time to sit and let you demonstrate so it needs to be something on paper.
    Yes, that is true. But I still feel there's no golden rule to go by when choosing education. Different things will be right for different people.

    Obviously, having an education helps but I don't think you can say it is the be all of living comfortably.
    Last edited by Tutankhamun; 01-18-2012 at 18:41.

  6. #6
    I'm a real boy!
    Tyrien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Age
    26
    Posts
    12,497
    Rep Power
    108
    Points
    6,226 (0 Banked)
    There's no golden rule, but there's the responsible/reasonable choice.

    Also, it's a lot of who you know as well. It's sad that networking is valued more than skills/experience.

  7. Likes Lebowski , Gregorious likes this post
  8. #7
    Forum Elder
    $Greatness$'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    PSN ID
    GreatnessRD
    Posts
    2,965
    Rep Power
    56
    Points
    26,689 (5,000 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Sell

    It's all bull$#@!. It's who you know. Not what you know. Just like those who said there's "free money" for college out there. BULLFUCKING $#@!.

    But yeah, sell.


    $Greatness$ Awaits™


  9. #8
    Veteran
    The Black Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    MS, USA
    Posts
    4,719
    Rep Power
    50
    Points
    6,079 (12,000 Banked)
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by $Greatness$ View Post
    Sell

    It's all bull$#@!. It's who you know. Not what you know. Just like those who said there's "free money" for college out there. BULLFUCKING $#@!.

    But yeah, sell.
    The only thing not free is the student loans, you have to pay those back. Pell Grants and scholarships can be obtained at no cost, just apply and see if you qualify or if you'll be considered.

    Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

  10. #9
    Unbound Mercenary
    Kwes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    16,250
    Rep Power
    144
    Points
    485,163 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Yeah, sadly a lot of businesses hire people depending on the degree the person has. They even overlook experience in that field, just to see the degree, and that really pisses me off.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.




  11. #10
    Super Elite
    btbam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    The Moor
    PSN ID
    bolderdash
    Age
    24
    Posts
    2,437
    Rep Power
    38
    Points
    1,541 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by $Greatness$ View Post
    Sell

    It's all bull$#@!. It's who you know. Not what you know. Just like those who said there's "free money" for college out there. BULLFUCKING $#@!.

    But yeah, sell.
    There is money to go to higher education. If you study hard in high school, you can get a near free ride or a completly free ride. I go to a private school that costs 40k a semester and only pay 3k a year after schlarships/grants.

    Somebody get me a doctor, I ain't feelin' ill ...But I ain't feelin' this at all...

  12. #11
    Supreme Veteran
    keefy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Sock Gap
    Posts
    17,984
    Rep Power
    127
    Points
    63,962 (0 Banked)
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Alot of the people that get degrees end up in Tesco or Walmart.

    I neither buy nor sell it.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.