Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 8 1 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 193

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Elite Guru
    berts08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    N.Ireland
    PSN ID
    berts08
    Age
    31
    Posts
    5,592
    Rep Power
    77
    Points
    7,660 (4,000 Banked)
    Items User name styleManchester United
Gift received at 11-19-2011 from Cuguy
Message: couldn't find a reason the shop would deny you the purchase, so here ya go

    Infinity Ward working on 'next-gen' Call of Duty?

    Job ad calls for animator to work on 'next-generation technologies'

    Call of Duty: Modern Warfare developer Infinity Ward seems to be searching for staff to work on a next-generation sequel.
    The studio has put out a job ad for a senior animator, who it says should have "an interest in working with next-generation technologies". The listing drops no other hints as to what it's working on, but PS3 and 360 approach their seventh birthdays, any mention of 'next-gen' conjures up tantalising thoughts.
    Wii U is, of course, just around the corner and could be considered 'next-gen', if not the big technical leap we'll be expecting with the next PlayStation and Xbox consoles.
    It's also not the first time a next-generation Call of Duty has been teased: Black Ops developer Treyarch also put out a job ad last year specifically calling for a senior platform engineer to help bring the game "to a new console".
    Again, Wii U or Vita would seem like the most likely consoles in question, but could preparations for the next Sony and MS powerhouses have begun?

    [ Source: Via GameSpot ]

    http://www.computerandvideogames.com...VG-General-RSS


    “Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” Arthur C. Clarke


    PSN ID: berts08



  2. #2
    Elite Guru
    TekkenLord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Age
    37
    Posts
    5,040
    Rep Power
    75
    Points
    18,543 (0 Banked)
    is anyone surprise by this. just like madden, they really milking this game to death.

  3. #3
    Power Member
    keefy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Sock Gap
    Posts
    17,320
    Rep Power
    124
    Points
    55,204 (0 Banked)
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Maybe it means they are going to utilise a newer engine as the base for the new game.

  4. #4
    Forum Elder
    $Greatness$'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    PSN ID
    GreatnessRD
    Posts
    2,900
    Rep Power
    53
    Points
    25,408 (5,000 Banked)
    Items User name style
    $#@! Activision, Infinity Ward and Gheyarch. They need to be working on common sense. But I digress...


    $Greatness$ Awaits™


  5. #5
    Elite Member
    nextgen3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Wales, UK
    Age
    29
    Posts
    1,817
    Rep Power
    72
    Points
    14,955 (0 Banked)
    its good news for COD fans in genral i think, but Jason West and Vince Zampella, former co-founders of Infinity Ward are not there anymore i think they should really change the IW name because J&V where the leaders of the MW & IW franchise an COD it nothing but the same old same old these days, if MW4 is coming to next-gen consoles its got to change. cod4 was bloody awesome mw2 was meh alrite an mw3 is just aload of bollox online from MP side of things.


  6. #6
    Forum Sage
    Metfanant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NY
    PSN ID
    Metfanant
    Age
    29
    Posts
    7,581
    Rep Power
    94
    Points
    2,147 (0 Banked)
    makes complete sense...the next game will be a Treyarch title...then it depends on when Sony/MS decide to pull the trigger on their next consoles...we might get one more IW game this gen...and then its on to the next gen consoles...it makes perfect sense that they would be readying their next gen CoD engine now...
    PSN: Metfanant
    XBL: Metfanant
    Twitter: @Metfanant

  7. #7
    Super Elite
    Inzane2050's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    2,009
    Rep Power
    29
    Points
    9,729 (0 Banked)
    It would be nice if they could update the engine without it having to be on next generation consoles.
    私は日本語がわかります。図書館で読みます。ビール飲みます。

  8. #8
    Forum Sage
    Metfanant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NY
    PSN ID
    Metfanant
    Age
    29
    Posts
    7,581
    Rep Power
    94
    Points
    2,147 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inzane2050 View Post
    It would be nice if they could update the engine without it having to be on next generation consoles.
    that doesn't make any sense though...its a waste of time and money to do so...why create a new engine that will only be used for a couple more years? And then have to create a THIRD engine for the next generation to take advantage of the new hardware?....no way..
    PSN: Metfanant
    XBL: Metfanant
    Twitter: @Metfanant

  9. #9
    Super Elite
    Inzane2050's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    2,009
    Rep Power
    29
    Points
    9,729 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Metfanant View Post
    that doesn't make any sense though...its a waste of time and money to do so...why create a new engine that will only be used for a couple more years? And then have to create a THIRD engine for the next generation to take advantage of the new hardware?....no way..
    I said "update." Not "create." They haven't touched the engine once in the past several years. With all the money they make, they are the only studio that doesn't update their engine regularly if at all.
    Last edited by Inzane2050; 01-20-2012 at 17:04.
    私は日本語がわかります。図書館で読みます。ビール飲みます。

  10. #10
    Forum Sage
    Metfanant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NY
    PSN ID
    Metfanant
    Age
    29
    Posts
    7,581
    Rep Power
    94
    Points
    2,147 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inzane2050 View Post
    I said "update." Not "create." They haven't touched the engine once in the past several years. With all the money they make, they are the only studio that doesn't update their engine regularly if at all.
    thats actually completely untrue...

    CoD4: IW 3.0
    W@W: modified version of 3.0 (then it was modified again and used in James Bond games)
    MW2: IW 4.0 (included texture streaming which 3.0 did not have)
    BLIPS: modified 3.0
    MW3: MW3 Engine (renamed to MW3 engine instead of IW 5.0 because the game was co-developed by other studios and not just Infinity Ward)



    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Bowling, in reference to the MW3 engine
    No, this runs on the MW3 engine, which would typically be named IW5 but out of respect of our co-development partners at Sledgehammer games we are simply referring to it as the MW3 engine. It is upgraded from the engine we used in Modern Warfare 2. There have been a lot of advances, mostly in streaming tech to allow us to get the scale of levels we're doing in Modern Warfare 3 and maintain gameplay consistency with the framerate and smoothness. We've got a lot of audio stuff mostly adding situational awareness like bullet wizzbys and other subtle upgrades. A lot of lighting stuff updates as well.
    PSN: Metfanant
    XBL: Metfanant
    Twitter: @Metfanant

  11. #11
    Super Elite
    Inzane2050's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    2,009
    Rep Power
    29
    Points
    9,729 (0 Banked)
    I mean update it visually. IW and Vavle are both stuck on that.
    私は日本語がわかります。図書館で読みます。ビール飲みます。

  12. #12
    Forum Sage
    Metfanant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NY
    PSN ID
    Metfanant
    Age
    29
    Posts
    7,581
    Rep Power
    94
    Points
    2,147 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inzane2050 View Post
    I mean update it visually. IW and Vavle are both stuck on that.
    so improving the streaming tech to allow for larger scale environments, and lighting improvements are not visual updates now?...

    come on man...

    I hate defending IW, but they took a stance early on with their games this gen that they would not sacrifice performance for sheer visual fidelity and they have stuck to it...being dead set on 60fps keeps them quite handicapped with what they are able to do in regard to other areas of the visuals...there is a reason that KZ and Uncharted only run at 30fps...
    PSN: Metfanant
    XBL: Metfanant
    Twitter: @Metfanant

  13. #13
    Superior Member
    TEJ2025's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    679
    Rep Power
    30
    Points
    1,603 (0 Banked)
    MW2 and MW3 are identical visually. Just as World at War looks just like Black Ops. Their might be technical things that that are not seen while playing but for the most part the games do "Look" the same.

    Quote Originally Posted by Metfanant View Post
    I hate defending IW, but they took a stance early on with their games this gen that they would not sacrifice performance for sheer visual fidelity and they have stuck to it...being dead set on 60fps keeps them quite handicapped with what they are able to do in regard to other areas of the visuals...there is a reason that KZ and Uncharted only run at 30fps...
    Ironically COD is probably the worst performing game of all shooters out. It has the most frame rate problems in any FPS I've ever played.
    It's funny that in this day in age people can steal as long as they have a reason too. Even if that reason is created by the thieves themselves.

  14. #14
    Forum Sage
    Metfanant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NY
    PSN ID
    Metfanant
    Age
    29
    Posts
    7,581
    Rep Power
    94
    Points
    2,147 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by TEJ2025 View Post
    MW2 and MW3 are identical visually.
    no, just no...

    Quote Originally Posted by TEJ2025 View Post
    Just as World at War looks just like Black Ops. Their might be technical things that that are not seen while playing but for the most part the games do "Look" the same.
    they LOOK similar because they are based on the same engine...its not my fault that you can't look past that...



    Quote Originally Posted by TEJ2025 View Post
    Ironically COD is probably the worst performing game of all shooters out. It has the most frame rate problems in any FPS I've ever played.
    thats really funny...because...

    MW3:

    Average Frame Rate
    PS3: 58.58
    360: 59.48

    Percentage of torn Frames
    PS3: 0.0%
    360: 0.0%
    PSN: Metfanant
    XBL: Metfanant
    Twitter: @Metfanant

  15. #15
    Superior Member
    TEJ2025's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    679
    Rep Power
    30
    Points
    1,603 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Metfanant View Post
    no, just no...
    Good point there.
    If you put in MW2 and then put in MW3 they are almost identical when it comes to the visuals. The improvements
    you mention don't change that. MW3 may look a slightly better if you're really trying to look at it but while you're playing it looks like MW2. You're trying to make it seem like the differences are so obvious when they are just not.

    Quote Originally Posted by Metfanant View Post
    they LOOK similar because they are based on the same engine...its not my fault that you can't look past that...
    It's also not my fault that the game looking similar is something you can't get past. If a game looks similar as another it just does. Simple as that.


    Quote Originally Posted by Metfanant View Post
    thats really funny...because...

    MW3:

    Average Frame Rate
    PS3: 58.58
    360: 59.48

    Percentage of torn Frames
    PS3: 0.0%
    360: 0.0%
    Source? I can throw numbers around too. Doesn't make them true.
    When I play MW3 it skips frames every game that I play in. It might not for you but it does for me, hence why I said that it has the worst frame rate shooter that I've ever played. You can't change that.
    It's funny that in this day in age people can steal as long as they have a reason too. Even if that reason is created by the thieves themselves.

  16. #16
    Super Elite
    Inzane2050's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    2,009
    Rep Power
    29
    Points
    9,729 (0 Banked)
    The lighting improvements were very minor. Also I am not talking about technical fidelity. They can improve the visuals without adding new rendering effects. And 60fps games can be improved visually no different than 30fps games.
    Last edited by Inzane2050; 01-20-2012 at 17:24.
    私は日本語がわかります。図書館で読みます。ビール飲みます。

  17. #17
    Forum Sage
    Metfanant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NY
    PSN ID
    Metfanant
    Age
    29
    Posts
    7,581
    Rep Power
    94
    Points
    2,147 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inzane2050 View Post
    The lighting improvements were very minor. Also I am not talking about technical fidelity. They can improve the visuals without adding new rendering effects. And 60fps is no more a handicap than 30fps when it comes to updating visuals.
    I'm sorry...you're just lost...this is pointless, you're just hating...

    /discussion
    PSN: Metfanant
    XBL: Metfanant
    Twitter: @Metfanant

  18. #18
    Super Elite
    Inzane2050's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    2,009
    Rep Power
    29
    Points
    9,729 (0 Banked)
    Whatever you say.... Blame yourself for being ignorant.
    私は日本語がわかります。図書館で読みます。ビール飲みます。

  19. #19
    Forum Sage
    Metfanant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NY
    PSN ID
    Metfanant
    Age
    29
    Posts
    7,581
    Rep Power
    94
    Points
    2,147 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inzane2050 View Post
    Whatever you say.... Blame yourself for being ignorant.
    ignorant? lol...come on dude...you've been running in circles this entire thread...your claims have all been completely false, and you're still going...you're simply hating...its sad lol...

    you said

    Quote Originally Posted by Inzane2050 View Post
    They haven't touched the engine once in the past several years.
    so i showed you evidence that they did...so then you said...

    Quote Originally Posted by Inzane2050 View Post
    I mean update it visually. IW and Vavle are both stuck on that.
    so i pointed out the visual improvements they made...and then you said...

    Quote Originally Posted by Inzane2050 View Post
    The lighting improvements were very minor. Also I am not talking about technical fidelity. They can improve the visuals without adding new rendering effects. And 60fps games can be improved visually no different than 30fps games.
    i mean its just plain COMICAL how you structure your arguments...you keep sidestepping your own arguments in order to continue your hate of the games...sad really...its a video game, just enjoy it for what it is...
    PSN: Metfanant
    XBL: Metfanant
    Twitter: @Metfanant

  20. #20
    Editor & Moderator
    Steve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Columbia, MO
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    Age
    19
    Posts
    8,133
    Rep Power
    75
    Points
    6,679 (0 Banked)
    Interesting argument going on in here. I have to agree with Met. The games run on the same engines, so of course they look similar. Graphical improvements don't have to be major. The only time major graphical improvements should be expected is when we're transitioning from one generation to the other. Aside from that, you're only going to get smaller changes.

    But frankly, graphics isn't the issue with Call of Duty. Visuals in the series are fine, whether they're fantastic or not is up to every individual to decide. What should be focused on is the gameplay and originality of it. I think we can all agree, whether you're a fan of the games or not, that the games aren't all too different from one another in terms of gameplay. There are a plethora of new perks, new weapons, and new maps, but I still feel as though I'm playing Modern Warfare 2 when playing the third MW game. And for millions of gamers, that's absolutely fine.

    In the next generation, I presume that IW will try to make some big changes. They know they're got a winning formula, but they also know that they have a growing community of gamers that have grown tired with the way the game plays. If I ever truly get back into the series, the next generation will be the reason why.
    Read my work on Medium, my blog, and connect with me on Twitter.

  21. #21
    Super Elite
    Inzane2050's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    2,009
    Rep Power
    29
    Points
    9,729 (0 Banked)
    I'm not talking in circles. All of the Call of Duty games are identical in visuals just like Valve's games. Am I wrong? It sounds like you just want to attack me.
    私は日本語がわかります。図書館で読みます。ビール飲みます。

  22. #22
    Forum Sage
    Metfanant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NY
    PSN ID
    Metfanant
    Age
    29
    Posts
    7,581
    Rep Power
    94
    Points
    2,147 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inzane2050 View Post
    I'm not talking in circles. All of the Call of Duty games are identical in visuals just like Valve's games. Am I wrong?

    yes...you are 100% wrong
    PSN: Metfanant
    XBL: Metfanant
    Twitter: @Metfanant

  23. #23
    Elite Sage
    Cuguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Age
    40
    Posts
    11,740
    Rep Power
    132
    Points
    3,360,785 (212,741 Banked)
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Metfanant View Post
    yes...you are 100% wrong
    Couldn't agree more. It is categorically false to proclaim CoD games haven't advanced in visuals.
    LMAO

  24. #24
    Super Elite
    Inzane2050's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    2,009
    Rep Power
    29
    Points
    9,729 (0 Banked)
    Then how is it then that the only added thing is bloom? And the bloom was only just added recently. What exactly has improved visually over the course of the current generation CoD games if you don't mind elaborating?
    私は日本語がわかります。図書館で読みます。ビール飲みます。

  25. #25
    Forum Sage
    Metfanant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NY
    PSN ID
    Metfanant
    Age
    29
    Posts
    7,581
    Rep Power
    94
    Points
    2,147 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inzane2050 View Post
    Then how is it then that the only added thing is bloom? And the bloom was only just added recently. What exactly has improved visually over the course of the current generation CoD games if you don't mind elaborating?
    can you read!? there are examples in this thread already...christ....lol

    lets look around the net a little bit...

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Schofield: General Manager, Sledgehammer Games
    Well I’ll tell you one thing, I’ve worked on a lot of engines over my lifetime and spent a lot of time putting graphics in to them and this thing is Porsche. And what I mean by that is that it is stream-lined, everything in it is perfectly freaking clean. You can tell it’s been worked on for years. It’s easy to upgrade.

    We worked with engines before that are like f***ing spaghetti. You can’t work on a part and put it back in without messing with everything else. Modern Warfare 3′s levels now are so much bigger than the old ones because they go more vertically, they have a bigger footprint and on top of that, higher fidelity, more textures and a lot more detail.
    and some more...

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Schofield: General Manager, Sledgehammer Games
    If you put Modern Warfare 2 next to Modern Warfare 3 you would see a huge difference. Look at all the character models, look at all the gun models, look at the reflections, look at the water. There is so much that we’ve added, so when someone says ‘cut and paste’, I don’t even want to talk to them because they don’t know. They just don’t know. They have no idea.
    Last edited by Metfanant; 01-20-2012 at 18:20.
    PSN: Metfanant
    XBL: Metfanant
    Twitter: @Metfanant

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

PSU

Playstation Universe

Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission of Abstract Holdings International Ltd. prohibited.
Use of this site is governed by our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.