Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 7 1 ... LastLast
    Veteran

So, how is the Obama/Biden foriegn policy working?

This whole thing with Iran reminds me of when Obama was running for office, and how was running on about how all the countries that hate the US. My question is, do you guys see that as changed?

Iran, clearly, hasn't changed their tune one bit, they basically laugh at Obama. The Pakistanis have been pretty ticked from time to time, what about all the rest of the countries, has he managed to change the perception of America around the world?
    "you are both the product and the architect of your environment"

Superior Member
    Is "bomb'em all" a foreign policy? I think alot of foreign countries now realize that the President is only responsible for so much. It's more America as a whole that has the problem, the political and media system is flawed. I'm not so sure he's done anything to warrant love from other countries, although he has quite well with Russia and China. But can you blame the rest, thinking they could be next. It's not really his fault though, taking over some huge mistakes and trying to fix them.

SOTW...Get in there and Vote people

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    I remember when he first became president, he gave the Queen of England an Ipod or something like that. /universal epic facepalm x1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

4. Likes Kwes likes this post
    PSU Technical Advisor
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregorious View Post
    Is "bomb'em all" a foreign policy? I think alot of foreign countries now realize that the President is only responsible for so much. It's more America as a whole that has the problem, the political and media system is flawed. I'm not so sure he's done anything to warrant love from other countries, although he has quite well with Russia and China. But can you blame the rest, thinking they could be next. It's not really his fault though, taking over some huge mistakes and trying to fix them.
    To be frank, a nation will always do what is in it's best interests. When it ceases to do so is when it fails its own people.

We're just now happening upon a paradigm shift where, thanks to technology, it is no longer beneficial to continue a course of heavy military aggression and intervention. Too little gain for all the trouble involved.

So yes, "bomb'em all" is actually a legitimate foreign policy. Many romantics would like to pretend this is not how players on the international stage act, or that the US\western powers should be 'above this' but that is not the case. Not reality. Just a dream.

The US is merely taking a little too long figuring this out. Certain groups (private industry, military) have a vested interest in warfare so it becomes frustrating to them when they're unable to justify their existence through conflict. Not that there will ever dawn a single day without it, but its role will be more like it has been in the cold war. Covert, not overt.
    Last edited by Vulgotha; 01-19-2012 at 14:59.

Master Guru
    Items Legend of ZeldaInsomniac GamesKonamiNaughty DogNintendoMetal Gear SolidFinal Fantasy XI OnlineDark Souls CoverPlayStationDoomDemons Souls Cover
    obama's foreign policy? you can't hear the laughter?

Let's be honest: You sleep with anything that walks on two legs. Sometimes, you're not even that discriminating

7. Likes Kwes likes this post
    Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Quote Originally Posted by Funeralfog View Post
    obama's foreign policy? you can't hear the laughter?
    Exactly.. that man has done nothing but turn the US into a joke in foreigners eyes.
    LMAO

9. Likes PS4freak , Kwes likes this post
    Unbound Mercenary
    lol, Obama is the only president in the history of ever to bow to another leader. Think it was the leader of China or Japan. The guy is a joke, the US president bows to no one but God. Thats just how it is.

Ever since he did that, and apoligizing to other countries for all the wrong we as Americans have done, he pretty much shat all over us Americans. Especially the Army.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Quote Originally Posted by kwesnoth View Post
    lol, Obama is the only president in the history of ever to bow to another leader. Think it was the leader of China or Japan. The guy is a joke, the US president bows to no one but God. Thats just how it is.

Ever since he did that, and apoligizing to other countries for all the wrong we as Americans have done, he pretty much shat all over us Americans. Especially the Army.

Exactly. We are (sorry WERE) a superpower and he crushed the vision that the US can be a peacekeeping/deterring force in the world. If he is reelected, we will not be able to perform our duties as layed out in the UN as a world police force and will not be able to provide support where called for. Simple as that.

The man is a weak spined joke.
    LMAO

12. Likes PS4freak , Kwes likes this post
    Unbound Mercenary
    Its like he doesn't realize that America is one of, if not the most powerful country on the planet, and as such he is the leader, in title at least. So he should never, ever...bow to another.

So yeah, the world treats America like its a joke, with a President that is just trying to be friends with everyone. But he does not look out for our interests.

And I personally, think that this whole world police $#@! has got to stop. No, I am not in any way shape, or form suggesting that we remove our military presence from any country. I mean, that we go over to a third world country, and build school...thats fine I guess, but when the people we built it for blow it up in a civil war, then $#@! em'. Don't go back and build another school just to try and look better.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    To be frank, a nation will always do what is in it's best interests. When it ceases to do so is when it fails its own people.

We're just now happening upon a paradigm shift where, thanks to technology, it is no longer beneficial to continue a course of heavy military aggression and intervention. Too little gain for all the trouble involved.

So yes, "bomb'em all" is actually a legitimate foreign policy. Many romantics would like to pretend this is not how players on the international stage act, or that the US\western powers should be 'above this' but that is not the case. Not reality. Just a dream.

The US is merely taking a little too long figuring this out. Certain groups (private industry, military) have a vested interest in warfare so it becomes frustrating to them when they're unable to justify their existence through conflict. Not that there will ever dawn a single day without it, but its role will be more like it has been in the cold war. Covert, not overt.
    Unfortunately legitimacy and common sense don't always comes come up in the same sentence. Your right about the war mongers though, there has to be a fear among them that their reason to exist is disappearing. No, war will never completely disappear, but that wouldn't be a bad thing either. I'd rather be smart than strong any day.

SOTW...Get in there and Vote people

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Its like he doesn't realize that America is one of, if not the most powerful country on the planet, and as such he is the leader, in title at least. So he should never, ever...bow to another.

So yeah, the world treats America like its a joke, with a President that is just trying to be friends with everyone. But he does not look out for our interests.

And I personally, think that this whole world police $#@! has got to stop. No, I am not in any way shape, or form suggesting that we remove our military presence from any country. I mean, that we go over to a third world country, and build school...thats fine I guess, but when the people we built it for blow it up in a civil war, then $#@! em'. Don't go back and build another school just to try and look better.
    I agree with your last part, but we agreed in the UN Charters a long time ago to use our power to help countries that are in need, or to protect the world from imminent threats (see IRAN). But with IRAN we are sitting on our thumbs, hoping their leader will come to the Whitehouse for talks. Seriously.. when that little twerp said he would run military exercises in the strait to PRACTICE CLOSING IT OFF.. the US should have smacked his $#@! in the dirt and told him to F off. The Radicals are becoming empowered every day this pres is in office.
    LMAO

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Iran isn't going to do anything. They are just pulling that North Korea trick.They have been doing $#@! like this for years. They don't wanna go to war with the U.S. As for Obama bowing...lol That's not a big deal and it doesn't show weakness. Its just a cultural thing. He also bowed to King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia. $#@!, George Bush even went further and walked around holding hands and even kissed him. Obama isn't the first President(or US official) in history to do that and probably won't be the last. Besides, those are very minuscule things.

Having a strong foreign policy is more than just military action. You can't just overreact to every little move a country like Iran makes. If we did then we would just be playing right into their hands. Iran always makes threats. Look at what they've been saying about Israel for years now. I'm sure it was them(Israel along with the US) who assassinated that nuclear scientist over there recently. What did Iran do? Nothing. Why? Because they are smart enough not to react with military action. They know that Israel will pound them to death with air strikes. All Iran is trying to do is break the coalition between the US and its middle eastern allies.... something they've been doing for a long time.

Don't forget there maybe operations going on that we don't know about.
    Last edited by Sub-stance1; 01-19-2012 at 17:29.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    The most powerful man in the world seems strangely powerless, and irresolute, as larger forces bring down the country and his presidency," writes influentialWashington Post columnist Dana Milbank
    Pretty much sums up my feelings
    LMAO

Forum Sage
    I guess we will wait til November and see how this will turn out. My guess is that the election will be very close but he will get re-elected.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    I guess we will wait til November and see how this will turn out. My guess is that the election will be very close but he will get re-elected.
    He has failed on so many other fronts, succeeded on fewer, that he will lose. He almost assuredly is a one termer.

I hope anyway.
    LMAO

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    He has failed on so many other fronts, succeeded on fewer, that he will lose. He almost assuredly is a one termer.

I hope anyway.
    No, he hasn't been perfect. But what, besides the economy, is making him look so bad?

Administrator
    Items Joker (limited ICON)Big BossRaiden
    I thought that was blown out of proportion... in my opinion it was merely a sign of respect, after all that's usually how some Asian cultures greet people. DONT EAT EVERYTHING THE MEDIA OFFERS YOU.

I disagree. We are still considered one of the most if not the most powerful country around the world. with that said I think its in our best interest to be friends with other countries, cause bombing them or buying their friendship has not brought the American people anything good.
    I agree with the first sentence, but I think we need to take a break from helping third world countries at the moment and focus our resources and energy on our domestic issues such as the Fed Reserve, money and corporation influence in politics, lobbying, unconstitutional federal laws that attack our liberties e.g. SOPA, Patriot Act, NDAA just to name a few.

@ OP
    He is practicing the same foreign policy bush was, but more aggressively. I disapproved of it back then and I disapprove of it now.
    Last edited by TwentyThree; 01-19-2012 at 19:10.

Forum Sage

I hope anyway.
    Who will he lose to? Romney is no different, gingrich won't win, there is only Paul who still has a long way to go.

23. Likes TwentyThree likes this post
    Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    Who will he lose to? Romney is no different, gingrich won't win, there is only Paul who still has a long way to go.
    Honestly, I don't know who he will lose to, but I am pretty confident he will lose. However, there is already a 2012 election thread Prob should stick to Obama's weak, scattered, foreign policy
    LMAO

PSU Technical Advisor
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    No, he hasn't been perfect. But what, besides the economy, is making him look so bad?
    Cuguy has said repeatedly in this thread that his stance on foreign diplomacy is galling to him.

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdoggy View Post
    I remember when he first became president, he gave the Queen of England an Ipod or something like that. /universal epic facepalm x1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000
    Yeah, everybody knows she uses a 'One'Pod.

*Edit*

Joking aside (if you got it), some of the arrogance in this thread is eye opening.
    Last edited by *goo; 01-19-2012 at 19:42.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    Cuguy has said repeatedly in this thread that his stance on foreign diplomacy is galling to him.

I guess what upsets me the most about the man is he can't make a firm stance.

You never know where he is on some things. Foreign policy, domestic affairs, he is all over the place.

A vast majority of other presidents you knew exactly what they stood for, even if you didn't follow politics.
    LMAO

Forum Sage
    Honestly, I don't know who he will lose to, but I am pretty confident he will lose. However, there is already a 2012 election thread Prob should stick to Obama's weak, scattered, foreign policy
    If the republicans had a strong candidate I might agree with you, but all their candidates suck in one way or another.

Santorum doesn't stand a chance, I don't know why he hasn't dropped out.

Gingrich has wayy too many skeletons in his closet, and if that wasn't enough abc news interviewed one of his ex wives and will release that story today or in the coming days which should sink him for good.

Romney is the biggest flip flopper of all time and is detested by the core republican party voters. The only upside to him is that he is likely to be easily controlled/steered assuming the party even attempts to do so.

Then we have paul who 1st has to win the primary, then win the general and then has to deal with the majority of congress trying to block everything he does.

And of course there is obama who is certain to be a lame duck president for the rest of his current term and a 2nd term if he gets reelected.

Seriously it doesn't look good any way you cut it, but the thing that really irks me is I have no idea who will show up in 2016 and beyond in either party to run for president.

No hope in 2012. No hope in 2016 and beyond.

I really don't know what to do.

29. Likes TwentyThree likes this post
    Forum Sage
    I guess what upsets me the most about the man is he can't make a firm stance.

You never know where he is on some things. Foreign policy, domestic affairs, he is all over the place.

A vast majority of other presidents you knew exactly what they stood for, even if you didn't follow politics.
    I think he has a firm standing on foreign policy. He said he would stand up to the terrorist and make getting Bin Laden one of his main priorities. He also said he would end DADT, and end the Iraq war.Now, he has changed on certain things like close Guantanamo bay. He overestimated that one big time. But he did tackle the water boarding issues and other things that are considered torture. Don't forget the greatest attack on the United States happened with the last administration....and after that we wasted close to a trillion dollars in Iraq.

Domestically, he still has work to do. I think we can all agree there but it will take years for us to get back to where we were in the 90's. I'm concerned about where this country is going.....but when i look at the candidates out there who want his job, i'm even more concerned.

Administrator
    Items Joker (limited ICON)Big BossRaiden
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    If the republicans had a strong candidate I might agree with you, but all their candidates suck in one way or another.

Santorum doesn't stand a chance, I don't know why he hasn't dropped out.

Gingrich has wayy too many skeletons in his closet, and if that wasn't enough abc news interviewed one of his ex wives and will release that story today or in the coming days which should sink him for good.

Romney is the biggest flip flopper of all time and is detested by the core republican party voters. The only upside to him is that he is likely to be easily controlled/steered assuming the party even attempts to do so.

Then we have paul who 1st has to win the primary, then win the general and then has to deal with the majority of congress trying to block everything he does.

And of course there is obama who is certain to be a lame duck president for the rest of his current term and a 2nd term if he gets reelected.

Seriously it doesn't look good any way you cut it, but the thing that really irks me is I have no idea who will show up in 2016 and beyond in either party to run for president.

No hope in 2012. No hope in 2016 and beyond.

I really don't know what to do.
    Couldn't agree with you more. If it comes down to Romney and Obama we'll only get the status quo... Paul is the only one offering realistic solutions, and has always stand for liberties and the constitution. I wish the main stream media would give him a fair chance and stop distorting his message.

Thread Information