Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Forum Overseer
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Starhawk - Wow What the ****!

Definitely was not expecting this from LightBox...they just went from one of the worst controls in a game to one of the best I have ever encountered, EVER!!!

Not only the controls are smoother than DUM DUM DUMMMMMMM CALL OF DUTY: MODERN WARFARE (*in high pitch*WTF!!!!!!!) but also SOCOM and every other shooter, whether third player or first...that I have EVER played.

I'm actually pissed off now that BF3 is nowhere near this smooth.

I don't even give a crap how the rest of the game is, I am totally getting this. The animations are one of the reasons why the controls feel so amazing. They have completely nailed third-person shooter with this game.

Not once does it feel like you weren't in full control of your character and the transition from walking to running, going sideways, aiming during all of this at any given point, just feels amazing and better than anything on the market, ANYTHING!!!

Good job Lightbox, color me impressed. Also the gameplay seemed pretty cool (only played it 2-3 mins). Now if only every developer could learn a thing or two from this (I'm looking at you Zipper).

2. Likes Mael Duin, TwentyThree likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Ya the controls are so smooth and feel great. I was not expecting this game to be this good.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Downloadin' nowa!

Elite Member
    yeah, but what about the air combat? Haven't play the Beta yet ($#@! PS+ )

one of the reason why I loved Warhawk is how I was in full control of the Warhawk in the air. So how's the air combat feels, come on spill the beans, Sufi!

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Guess I'll try it when the public beta goes up.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by reasonable_doubt View Post
    yeah, but what about the air combat? Haven't play the Beta yet ($#@! PS+ )

one of the reason why I loved Warhawk is how I was in full control of the Warhawk in the air. So how's the air combat feels, come on spill the beans, Sufi!
    Well, I'm more of a ground persons so even if I played it, I couldn't tell you more than just the general feel to it but I'll try to check it out. Honestly I don't even know how to get in those things...

What I do know is that they're not overpowered as they were in Warhawk...I actually made a couple of them run away from me and got an assist kill in killing one of them in a Hawk vs Hawk war.

The map was sorta small, which was lame but whatever. Also I'm surprised that the graphics were actually one of the best out there (for an open game like this), love the blur motion and I like how smooth the frame rate was. Everything just looked fantastic...and I can't wait to check out a different map if there is one.

I would prefer a bigger map for a game like this and oh yea, I didn't like that they made the sprint button as R2...I mean, why not L3? I tried pressing L3 and it's not assigned for anything as far as I could tell...so map size and the sprint button mapping is my only gripe...oh and that there weren't enough people but that's probably cause it was only a PS+ beta.

I got it through my friend's account I'm not a PS+ member.

Master Sage
    Items User name styleLegend of ZeldaDiablo IIIHeath LedgerJoker (limited ICON)Title Style
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    Definitely was not expecting this from LightBox...they just went from one of the worst controls in a game to one of the best I have ever encountered, EVER!!!

Not only the controls are smoother than DUM DUM DUMMMMMMM CALL OF DUTY: MODERN WARFARE (*in high pitch*WTF!!!!!!!) but also SOCOM and every other shooter, whether third player or first...that I have EVER played.

I'm actually pissed off now that BF3 is nowhere near this smooth.

I don't even give a crap how the rest of the game is, I am totally getting this. The animations are one of the reasons why the controls feel so amazing. They have completely nailed third-person shooter with this game.

Not once does it feel like you weren't in full control of your character and the transition from walking to running, going sideways, aiming during all of this at any given point, just feels amazing and better than anything on the market, ANYTHING!!!

Good job Lightbox, color me impressed. Also the gameplay seemed pretty cool (only played it 2-3 mins). Now if only every developer could learn a thing or two from this (I'm looking at you Zipper).
    Good news, looking forward to seeing how this game shapes out, Warhawk wasn't my cup of tea but this one seem a lot more interesting.

Once more into the fray.
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live and die on this day.
    Live and die on this day.

Elite Member
    Both of the maps are small version of larger maps. For a small map I think they are still pretty big. Try running from one side to the other and you will understand this. You are right about the controls though. They are top notch, and they are constantly improving. In fact they have improved greatly since the game first came out.

The game is also very balanced. A couple good hawk players could dominate a base very easily in warhawk. In this game I have no problems going toe to toe even with the rifle. Toss a couple grenades and get them with the rifle and they will be less than 25% life. By that time they are already running. Again lightbox has been adjusting the balance a lot. It is much much better now than it first came out.

Forum Overseer
    The game didn't feel like Warhawk at all to me...but to me, that's a good thing.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    And the strafing is fast enough...lol not going to complain about that

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    And the strafing is fast enough...lol not going to complain about that
    You know what I'm talking about right? I would totally $#@!ing love a new SOCOM with these controls and camera!

It's the best I've seen since the older SOCOMs and better than those as well imo.

Super Elite
    Day one for me I spend so many hours in Warhawk seems like Starhawk is going to be all I play this Gen, thanks Sony for supporting and maintaining so many talented developers the experience is truly exclusive
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The Views and opinions of forum member cpitt, do not represent the views and opinions of ps3forums and any known associates, mods

Apprentice
    my experience was quite the opposite... glad you liked it.

629 performance center snub, strictly .44 magnum buffalo bore!

Forum Overseer
    Well I'm only talking about the controls, I don't know how the rest of the game is honestly.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    Terminator101
    The game didn't feel like Warhawk at all to me...but to me, that's a good thing.
    Excellent. I really hated Warhawk.
    Now tell me that you can spawn with any weapon you want (as in, don't have to search for a good weapon after every single death) and I am 100% sold.
    Hell even if the weapon pickups were placed in similar way as in Unreal Tournament (Grouped and easy to find right away), I would still be cool with that.
    Almost everyone will say: buy console that has games that you want, and those who say otherwise are ignorant.

Playstation Move for the win!

Superior Member
    You lose all your pick-ups upon death. I had a blast with the game in the private beta. Has anything been significantly changed since then?

Super Elite
    I loved Warhawk, even with the overpowered Warhawks and the constant spawn trapping by 'Hawks lol. Just reading these impressions makes me want to get the Starhawk beta anymore.

Btw, how easy/fun/etc.. was it to build stuff?

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    You know what I'm talking about right? I would totally $#@!ing love a new SOCOM with these controls and camera!

It's the best I've seen since the older SOCOMs and better than those as well imo.
    They should give Socom to Lightbox and see what they can do.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Agreed. I didnt care for Warhawk but I'm loving Starhawk.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator 101 View Post
    Excellent. I really hated Warhawk.
    Now tell me that you can spawn with any weapon you want (as in, don't have to search for a good weapon after every single death) and I am 100% sold.
    Hell even if the weapon pickups were placed in similar way as in Unreal Tournament (Grouped and easy to find right away), I would still be cool with that.
    I donno if you can pick up weapons (didn't see anything) but you can pick them up from enemies however what's cool is that you can dump your own ammo supply station anywhere and it has a few weapons and bullets there.

I did feel that I wanted more weapons right away and having played games where I usually have a choice, I was a little annoyed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Zombie View Post
    You lose all your pick-ups upon death. I had a blast with the game in the private beta. Has anything been significantly changed since then?
    Not sure, this is my first time playing the game but hopefully some of the other people in this thread can answer.

Quote Originally Posted by X-Men_Wolverine View Post
    I loved Warhawk, even with the overpowered Warhawks and the constant spawn trapping by 'Hawks lol. Just reading these impressions makes me want to get the Starhawk beta anymore.

Btw, how easy/fun/etc.. was it to build stuff?
    It's extremely easy to build stuff and and if you've played any RTS in your life, you will get it right away. They even change the view for you a little bit (back it up a little) if you're building.

Another thing I like is the plethora of options you can on the main menu on how to customize the game the way you want to. I know Warhawk had it too but seems like there are more options. Not sure if they let you map buttons but will check.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdoggy View Post
    They should give Socom to Lightbox and see what they can do.
    Agreed.

I absolutely love how they've kept it where you can shoot without aiming and while it's not AS accurate, it's accurate enough to warrant use. This game and BF3 are totally getting this now. Whereas COD started this and they didn't get it right (still haven't).

This sort of controls and aiming system (of course, a little less arcade-y than this) would've been perfect for SOCOM...it's just sad how badly they messed up the controls/camera.
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    Agreed. I didnt care for Warhawk but I'm loving Starhawk.
    Yea I played the other (slightly bigger map) and it was definitely different. Very dark and sorta reminded me of World of Warcraft (atmosphere only) and the game seems more like UT this time around.

P.S. I wanna mention one thing to everyone, it seems to me that right now people are just playing around with the build options and testing out mechs because no one tries to take the flags (barely) and so there are very few battles...and that's probably putting people off because you have to find action...it does get boring. Warhawk always had someone you could see and shoot.

Though when there is action, it is more fun than Warhawk. I'm expecting the game to get more fun as we go along because I wasn't even trying to do anything, just understanding the game right now because it is a little complicated to understand what things do what...it's a very different sort of game.
    Last edited by Omar; 01-22-2012 at 16:23.

Elite Guru
    Items Naughty DogMetal Gear SolidPlayStation
    I thought Warhawk was alright, but I didn't get in to it from the start so I missed out on it really because when I played it most people had moved on and the only people left were too good and I kept dying all the time.

I hope Starhawk is good, haven't played it myself yet but I'm hoping it is good enough to buy.

Dedicated Member
    Yeah I played in the private beta during winter break. The game is REALLY FUN to play. I hope the single player will be decent though, I'm worried about that. The multiplayer is fantastic, and I love the artstyle. Kick ass vehicles, build and battle, guns, etc.

Super Elite
    I absolutely loved Warhawk, but the Starhawk beta is no fun for me at the moment. I don't like the RTS aspects of it, it makes everything too slow for me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Master Guru
    Starhawk is sure to be a shining star in the lucrative PS3 lineup!

Elite Guru
    if you love warhawk you will LOVE starhawk.

Thread Information