Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation

The Making of a Slave by Willie Lynch

So, I was talking to my great uncle, who is very very pro black. He dislikes white people to the point to which he is prejudice against them. So we were talking about Black History month coming up and he told me to check out this link:

http://www.thetalkingdrum.com/wil.html

The link is very disturbing, at least to me and it opened my eyes.

I now have a better understanding about why my father and other older black people feel the way they do about white people. I look at black people living in poverty and black men not having involvement with their children and see why. This is STILL effecting us today. I now understand why my father says they treated dogs better than us.

I made this thread because Black History month is indeed coming up and 2, I want to have a discussion about it.

Currently Playing: Pokemon X

Apprentice

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I don't have time for anyone who is racist no matter who they are..also there are many types of racism, the most common I find is people who call others out for being racist when they are just making an innocent statement..the fact that they jump to that conclusion automatically is pretty racist.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Forum Guru
    I think white people and black people should unite!

...and hate Asians together.
    "Remember, you're young only once but you can be immature forever."

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    Quote Originally Posted by [DT] View Post
    WE ARE GREY !!!

but...Asian girls are HAAAAAWT.
    Trophy-licious!

PSU Technical Advisor
    You know what, let's just go to a whole other extreme.

Yes, slavery happened and it was bad. But let's take a few steps back and look at the whole picture. First, blacks were enslaving themselves and warlords pawning tribes off to Arabs\Europeans long before America started importing slaves. So it isn't purely a "white" issue.

Slavery has existed since... Well as long as I can even think back.

Secondly, would you and your entire family really rather be in Africa? You're all upset and pissed off (your grandfather too) about things that never happened to you directly. It hasn't for generations.

So what is it that race baiters want? Do you want reparations? More apologies?

This is a paradox I've never fully understood, and I suspect it to be wholly irrational.. Or calculated. People who get all bent out of shape about slavery live in the United States as free men. Even during the era of racism that endured post civil war, African Americans have enjoyed a quality of life so monstrously above that of the typical native African at that time that it is not even worthy of comparison.

There was resentment from both sides. The North and South were suddenly inundated with a wholly illiterate and uneducated population of now free slaves and nobody knew how to handle it. INITIALLY we wanted to set up a free colony in, I believe, Liberia. We enslaved you, now we were returning you and setting you free back in your native land.

Strangely this just didn't fly and never happened. So we did what we could to keep the two populations from clashing. This is a completely natural reaction to such an event. Segregation has been debated to be a logical solution to a very real problem- I'm not going to touch that as it's too much trouble for me to endure the flame fest, but I'm putting that out there for people to digest.

What about this: You take reparations, you then must take a ticket back to Africa. Maybe set up a colony in Liberia or whatever. Let's see how many Africans really accept this offer. Here's my bet: they won't. They'd much rather live in the United States but they also want to continue to be all upset, indignant and rage against the past.

It's called having your cake and eating it too.

What about Native Americans? The early Americans practically wiped them out, pure genocide and stole all their land. Yet, are they these hardcore disgruntled 'white haters'? No. Sometimes they talk about their history and the sins of the past (tribal leaders in interviews, etc) but they're fairly cool and stick to their reservations and intermingle with US society without much incident.

I'm sick to death of people entertaining this delusion that if you constantly bring up the past and harp on how bad it was, and how much "White people owe them" (white guilt) somehow it will make things right. How long do we have to do this before we're all square racially? Forever?

Here's an idea: How about we all collectively move on and start treating people like people and let go of resentment and anger about stuff that none of us living (or generations before) have directly been involved in.

I used to work in an ARC lab at a local college a year ago and I would tutor students. The overwhelming majority of which were immigrants from Africa. They were the nicest most gracious people I have ever met and they all came from absolutely horrifying backgrounds of abuse in their native countries.

They loved the United States, loved the people, didn't give a rats ass what skin color I had. Quite a few of them even commented that they had no respect for "American blacks" because they were so angry and, to quote my friend Tipkwan, "lazy and resentful".

His words not mine.
    Last edited by Vulgotha; 01-25-2012 at 19:23.
    Awesome techno and dubstep! Visit: http://Solkrieg.com
    Latest Song: Lady GaGa's Monster Dubstep!

7. Likes Acid Snake , Black , Valefor , *goo, Thorzilla, Icc wishes they had posted this first.
    I BE A PIRATE!!!
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    You know what, let's just go to a whole other extreme.

Yes, slavery happened and it was bad. But let's take a few steps back and look at the whole picture. First, blacks were enslaving themselves and warlords pawning tribes off to Arabs\Europeans long before America started importing slaves. So it isn't purely a "white" issue.

Slavery has existed since... Well as long as I can even think back.

Secondly, would you and your entire family really rather be in Africa? You're all upset and pissed off (your grandfather too) about things that never happened to you directly. It hasn't for generations.

So what is it that race baiters want? Do you want reparations? More apologies?

What about this: You take reparations, you then must take a ticket back to Africa. Maybe set up a colony in Liberia or whatever. Let's see how many africans really accept this offer. Here's my bet: they won't. They'd much rather live in the United States but they also want to continue to be all upset, indignant and rage against the past.

It's called having your cake and eating it too.

What about Native Americans? The early Americans practically wiped them out, pure genocide and stole all their land. Yet, are they these hardcore disgruntled 'white haters'? No. Sometimes they talk about their history and the sins of the past (tribal leaders in interviews, etc) but they're fairly cool and stick to their reservations and intermingle with US society without much incident.

I'm sick to death of people entertaining this delusion that if you constantly bring up the past and harp on how bad it was, and how much "White people owe them" (white guilt) somehow it will make things right. How long do we have to do this before we're all square racially? Forever?

Here's an idea: How about we all collectively move on and start treating people like people and let go of resentment and anger about stuff that none of us living (or generations before) have directly been involved in.
    THIS THIS THIS A THOUSAND TIMES THIS!!!!!!!!

also want to add, you can hate white people all you want, and i can say this with 100% confidence, none of us had slaves. all the guys who did ....well they died. if fought next to black people, i've worked under them. it's not the same anymore. don't be angry at the past you can't change it. worry about the present.

and if you want to say your still slighted against now, well yes there are still some white supremacists/racists out there won't deny it. still have never been offered a united white college fund. did get told i couldn't apply for a job because they needed more minorities, i don't get reparations, no white entertainment television,

and if you want to see some modern prejudice, we're not going around sayin hey n-worder to everyone we see.

steam id: ravioli704

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    the_mooninites
    Items ICO
    Well at least a lot of the prejudice has been shifted to Muslims/Middle Easterners.

Sent from my Full Android on Crespo using Tapatalk

Elite Guru
    Sorry to say this but your uncle is sounds like a hateful racist. There's zero justification on hating all white people today because of mistakes made in the past.

I'm especially concerned about how you appear to be buying in to propaganda. Things have changed massively, you can't point back into history and proclaim it's the reason for your actions today. Take responsibility.

@mooninites There's a lot more to religious hatred than simply suggesting it's white people against Muslims. You may want to read up on some of the Muslim Extremist actions over the last few weeks. Totally different situation.
    Last edited by *goo; 01-25-2012 at 19:52.

11. Likes Vulgotha wishes they had posted this first.
    PSU Technical Advisor
    ^Yes, yes, yes.

Dedicated Member

So your uncle's response to the racism that black people experienced in the past, is to be racist himself in the present? Your uncle would easily be able to find reasons to reinforce his prejudice against white people today; just as some white people in the past found reasons to justify their prejudice against black people. In the case of slavery, Aristotle was often quoted and Darwin's theory of evolution was misrepresented, both for the purpose of promoting slavery.

As Vulgotha pointed out, slavery was rampant in Africa even before contact with Europeans. In some parts, a form of slavery existed in native populations; in other parts, Muslim states captured and enslaved black people through tribal warfare. The difference is, after contact with Europeans, slavery became institutionalised and people were exported (to the benefit of ruling white Europeans and a few powerful, greedy Africans who were willing to sell them) on a massive scale to work on plantations. This does not detract from the huge wrongs committed by those Europeans, but it does highlight that it was not entirely black and white, if you'll excuse the pun.

Ultimately, slavery was terrible and the Europeans of the time bear the responsibility of their actions, but why should white people of today be held accountable for these past crimes?

As for 'Black History Month', Freeman puts it best:

14. Likes *goo wishes they had posted this first.
    Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    I don't hate white people. My great uncle might, but I don't.

I agree with everything being said in this thread and I admit I got caught up in the moment. I just always wondered why the black community, at least around here, gets so upset about white people and the past. Of course, you guys are right we, the African Americans, need to forgive people more. We're supposed to Christians, but we need to be better Christians.

Vulgotha, I can understand why they hated us African Americans and call us lazy and resentful. It shows why.

I apologize for creating this thread and hope I didn't offend anyone. I do not hate white people, asian people, or any race of people. I just never understood why my father and great uncle and etc felt that way.

Currently Playing: Pokemon X

Ultimate Veteran
    Items DreamcastPlayStationNintendoBullyGTA ClaudeFinal Fantasy IX
    I remember when we had a "very very pro black" guy come to my school and give a speech. He took us all by surprise. The speech lasted an entire 40 minutes. Fortunately, one of my fellow classmates, a black girl, pretty much told the guy that he was full of shit. I would seriously consider surrounding yourself with some more open-minded people.

3DS Friend Code: 1349-4916-2054

Forum Sage

Those damn eye-tai's again.

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Quote Originally Posted by Valefor View Post
    He is a smart man.
    Trophy-licious!

Apprentice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx8P0...eature=related

LOL @ the white peeps suggesting we should forget their 400 years of oppression..

Fact is the shit that has happened all those years ago still has a big impact on how the world is today.

PSU Technical Advisor
    /facepalm

Supreme Veteran

its simple, we are equal

but blind to the point of noticing it. We embark on a choice of hate and that hate eats you up and over shadows the truth and that truth is

We all stem from Africa and need i say more

White people say they hate blacks and yet they try to be black in a light tanned form. By using sunbeds and sunbathing all the time and fake tan, so whats that say about the right fork who choose to accept all race's with an opened mind and never victimising a race of color or regional background. It makes them the honest truth toward humanity
    Last edited by claud3; 01-27-2012 at 16:58.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    /facepalm
    No need to facepalm. You brought up some good points but it will never work.

Racism is alive and well this very day on all sides.

Truth is that we will never move on collectively and pass it.

One bad apple spoils the entire bunch as they say.

Supreme Veteran

true, it will always be part of life and that is sad

but what can you do. It takes one to spoil the many

Veteran
    The only things that can make the entire world unify is complete oppression or the threat of eradication of the entire human species.

Only then will the world throw their petty differences aside and work together.

Supreme Veteran

that is an untrue fact, because it will make us even more against other races. So we survive and they do not

that is how i see that working out

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by claud3 View Post
    that is an untrue fact, because it will make us even more against other races. So we survive and they do not

that is how i see that working out
    I think you misunderstand me. I mean all humans against some other force. A situation in which no race has an advantage or chance to survive. All face the threat of destruction.

27. Likes claud3 wishes they had posted this first.
    Supreme Veteran

ok i get you.... sorry for misunderstanding your post

we all see this from different angles and come up with different answers and that way we hope to seek a solution to this evil presence in are world

PSU Technical Advisor
    Quote Originally Posted by Kauldron View Post
    No need to facepalm. You brought up some good points but it will never work.

Racism is alive and well this very day on all sides.

Truth is that we will never move on collectively and pass it.

One bad apple spoils the entire bunch as they say.
    I'm not denying that racism is alive, what I'm saying is our outlook and mentality effects its potency and longevity.People can be racist or defeatist about racism all they want- Doesn't mean I'm going to sit idly by and just let it affect me and those around me.

I don't have to listen to crap pointlessly.

By the way I face palmed at this:

"LOL @ the white peeps suggesting we should forget their 400 years of oppression.."

Not entirely sure how that is somehow unworthy of a facepalm.

Thread Information