Latest PSU headlines:

Master Sage
    Items User name styleLegend of ZeldaDiablo IIIHeath LedgerJoker (limited ICON)Title Style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Jaffe: What he wants to see from rumored God of War IV game - What do you want?

Twisted Metal co-director and former GoW 1 director David Jaffe weighs in on God of War 4 rumors

Yesterday it was rumored that Sony's Santa Monica Studios could be working on God of War IV. After Sony released a Tester Season 3 promo, the keen eyes from Dualshock Nexus noticed Kratos and what appears to be a never-before-seen platform on some of the computer screens. With that evidence coupled with the time of the filming, it was reasonably assumed that a new God of War game was in development.

PlayStation Network Executive Producer, Kevin Furuichi, has since addressed the rumors claiming what was seen was "old footage from God of War III".

While that very well could be true, we all know rumors don't die out that easily. It wouldn't be the first time a studio has tried to cover up a leak. Needless to say, fans aren't buying Furuichi's comments and it has led to even more speculation and opinions - most notably from a fellow PS3-exclusive developer and former God of War director, David Jaffe.

For those unfamiliar, David Jaffe is the co-direct/co-lead designer of the new Twisted Metal and the director/lead designer of God of War 1. Naturally, fans want his opinion.

When asked where he would like God of War IV to go, assuming the rumors are true, Jaffe replied:

"Zelda formula, multiple mythologies, more nuance to Kratos."

Pretty solid direction, in such a few words, if you ask me. Of course, his "Zelda formula" response could mean multiple things, but if I had to assume I would venture to guess a system that's fairly open world, but you can't access every area until you find a certain item or attain a certain ability.

We've now heard from Jaffe, but what about you? What would you like to see from a possible God of War IV?
    Legend of Zelda is one of my favorite game series, having a Zelda formula would be pure heaven for me

Thoughts? what do you guys want from another sequel in the series?
    Last edited by Nuvian; 01-25-2012 at 19:20.

Once more into the fray.
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live and die on this day.
    Live and die on this day.

Forum Elder
    Items User name style
    Zelda formula would be an interesting test, so long as they keep the combat move list at least as lengthy as it is now.

Storywise, I just want to see everything end, fully. Make Kratos fight Chaos itself in the end or something.

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    I hope its set before 3, not after. Not sure how a game after 3 would work to interest me

Sig&Av by Kuro

Sometimes streaming Watch_Dogs

PS4 Preorders:
    FarCry4MetroReduxDragonAge3BatmanAKWitcher3DyingLightOrder1886Uncharted4

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Elite Sage
    God of War with Zelda formula? Oh, we already have a good one... ;D

Man who chase after bus get exhausted, man who run in front of bus get tired
    Man who masturbates in class has firm grip of subject at hand
    Woman who sink in man's arms soon have arms in man's sink

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    nah to an open GOW! one thing i love about the series is the tight camera work, open world might fudge that all up....or not

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    nah to an open GOW! one thing i love about the series is the tight camera work, open world might fudge that all up....or not
    This is a tricky situation, since GOW is unique, but it's been doing the same thing for a while now. So the uniqueness is wearing off.

Personally, I have no idea what they should do. I just know they need to do something different. lol

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    make it first person?

8. Likes Itachi likes this post
    PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Would hate if it went open world, but it does need to do something different: all 5 games are pretty much the same lol

Quote Originally Posted by jj03 View Post
    make it first person?
    Are you not sick of first person titles yet? lol

Sig&Av by Kuro

Sometimes streaming Watch_Dogs

PS4 Preorders:
    FarCry4MetroReduxDragonAge3BatmanAKWitcher3DyingLightOrder1886Uncharted4

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    technically God of War could work in an open world style, mainly because even in the linear game of 1, 2, & 3 which were awesome, Kratos was still getting flanked and because of that, this game could work in that style. I personally think they should have some God of War inspired formulas and just rename the game to something else and also have a new badass character.

11. Likes The Black Wolf, PS4freak , bigCman123 likes this post
    Master Guru
    Items Legend of ZeldaInsomniac GamesKonamiNaughty DogNintendoMetal Gear SolidFinal Fantasy XI OnlineDark Souls CoverPlayStationDoomDemons Souls Cover
    Jaffe had the idea of different mythologies after GoW1 so i'd like for him to be involved. the man knows what kicks ass

Let's be honest: You sleep with anything that walks on two legs. Sometimes, you're not even that discriminating

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    What is Zelda formula? I only played Ocarina of time.

Master Guru
    Items Legend of ZeldaInsomniac GamesKonamiNaughty DogNintendoMetal Gear SolidFinal Fantasy XI OnlineDark Souls CoverPlayStationDoomDemons Souls Cover
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    What is Zelda formula? I only played Ocarina of time.
    open world, but only letting you go to certain places if you have the right tools

Let's be honest: You sleep with anything that walks on two legs. Sometimes, you're not even that discriminating

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by Funeralfog View Post
    Jaffe had the idea of different mythologies after GoW1 so i'd like for him to be involved. the man knows what kicks ass
    Yeah I said after they concluded Kratos' story they should move onto another mythology and character. This is definitely their opportunity but I don't expect it. I just hope that they rework it in some way. The current system, although good is starting to get a bit old. I really like the idea of an open world GOW!

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    Pheonix7
    First off, if it's literally God of War, then make it that way... with Kratos. Otherwise change the name.

I think they could change some things up after the ending of 3. He's not lashed to or bound to his past nor the blades as he had been. So I think they could give the system some good change while keeping some of the true fundaments of the older games.

Seeing as I'm not a game enthusiast anymore, I generally like a shorter, tighter narrative written game. With that said, having some open world mechanics could still be a part of the change. I never played Zelda but that formula sounds like it could work. GoW is already about going back through and exploring areas you previously were unable to so it could potentially fit very well.

I don't know about the other mythos coming into the game, we already had a big fight against the titans and the gods of olympus. I'm not against it per se but I hope the dev team knows when to you use a story element and when to say "No, that's just going to be too much".

Soldier 95B
    I have never played Zelda, so I can't comment. I personally would like it to be GOW as we know it. I want GOW4 to be a follow up to GOW3, with a follow up story, puzzles, linear and all out red/blood shot eye fun.

Veteran
    Open World? Yuck!

Goodbye eye popping industry leading graphics.

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    I think the author of that article got it all wrong

He doesn't mean Zelda formula i.e. open world semi actiony RPG, he means Zelda formula i.e. telling the same or similar story each game but in a new character's shoes, in a new/different world. The same core gameplay, with unique gameplay elements in each game

That's how I read it anyway

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    I would prefer to see a new character, but a character who is a Spartan or in the God of War universe. I want a new character with a new type of main weapon, it could be a sword or even a spear.

Whatever happens, as long as Santa Monica is behind it I'm okay with it. I'm sure they know the formula for the first five games is old and they'll bring something new to God of War 4.

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Apprentice
    I hope Kratos returns as the main character... he's just the most badass character EVER created. There's no way they could make a better character. Kratos never gave up, he always did what he wanted to do.

I could think of GOW4 being like this:
    You start as Kratos. Somehow he is alive again and has to fight. Then he dies, and the enemy (Chaos? other gods? beings that create a new social structure and a new mythology?) builds a great empire, a new world. His blades and some of his equipment are found by some young character a lot of years later, when a new tyranny has been built. He takes the blades with him and wraps the chains around his arms. Suddenly they burn into his flesh and can't be removed. Then he gets flashbacks from Kratos' life, so the player gets way more background on Kratos story that wasn't covered in the games that were released yet. The character needs to do certain things to gain more flashbacks in order to get more knowledge of the mysterious enemy Kratos fought right before his death, and then he's able to fight this enemy himself.

Sorry, it's very very late over here and I'm tired, and my English isn't the best. I hope you get my point.

I'm a real boy!
    Darksiders.

Thread Information