Latest PSU headlines:

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Sony Speaks Out on its Relationship With Insomniac

Its good they are still on good terms but i don't think we will see another exclusive from them for a while.
    Earlier today,
    Insomniac Games
    , the studio that developed the likes of Spyro the Dragon, Ratchet & Clank and most recently Resistance, revealed that
    it would not be doing another Resistance game

This begged the question on if Insomniac was finished working with Sony all together, especially considering that the studio's upcoming project, Overstrike, is the very first project the developer has worked on that isn't a PlayStation exclusive.

Sony tells IGN that the company has "had a long and positive relationship with Insomniac and wish them the best of success on their new project Overstrike." Sony's representative went on to tell us that "although we have made no announcements on future products we do still have a working relationship with Insomniac."

This suggests that Insomniac will indeed be developing future projects for PlayStation 3 or PlayStation Vita, though the exact nature of those projects remains unclear. Could this "working relationship" pertain solely to
    Resistance 3
    DLC? A new Ratchet & Clank game? Or a new project altogether? Only time will tell.

But for the meantime, it's safe to say that Insomniac's announcement about not doing another Resistance game hasn't necessarily sounded the death knell for the studio's exclusive relationship with Sony.
    http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1217344p1.html
    Last edited by Sub-stance1; 01-27-2012 at 04:49.

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    It's ok, 1 gone, 16 left. PS3 has no shortage.
    Click HERE to create your mercenary and get exclusive in-game items.

THE GREY CARDINAL (eWar Merc) - COVERT SUBTERFUGE (Minmatar Scout)
    CEO of PSU GHOST SYNDICATE - PSU in-game channel: PSU GHOST

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    Actually, they were never there? They were independent to start with. I say bring on Overstrike.

Elite Sage
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DS
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    Actually, they were never there? They were independent to start with. I say bring on Overstrike.
    I'm kinda interested too! Although, to be honest, I think I've played enough shooters/3rd person shooters/action games for a lifetime.
    |My Playfire|My Deviantart|
    - SIG BY MY SISTER-

Master Guru
    I've enjoyed Insomniac's games over the years and what they've contributed to the PS brand but i think it's time for them to move on and try other things. Sony won't lose any sleep. They've got more than enough studios to develop games for them.

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    They were as good as there, they have been working exclusively with Sony for almost 20 years. Yeah Overstrike looks interesting. It's on the radar.

Dedicated Member
    Sony owns the Resistance IP - SO we could see more Resistance, just not from Insomniac

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    berts08
    Items User name styleManchester United
Gift received at 11-19-2011 from Cuguy
Message: couldn't find a reason the shop would deny you the purchase, so here ya go
    Its good they are still on good terms but i don't think we will see another exclusive from them for a while.

And why is that? they have two studios do they not? PS3 will get another exclusive by the end of this year or next.

“Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” Arthur C. Clarke

PSN ID: berts08

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    Yep, I'm betting that instead of having two exclusive PS3 IPs we'll be getting 1 multi and 1 exclusive at a time from now on.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by mankind View Post
    And why is that? they have two studios do they not? PS3 will get another exclusive by the end of this year or next.
    Whether PS3 gets another exclusive is really up to Sony I guess. I just think that Insomniac want to keep any new IPs they create from now on. Just like Bungie is doing.

PSU Staff Writer
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    Resistance Fall of Man was the PS3's best launch game and so it's sad to see that Insomniac is moving on from Resistance. However, I look forward to new IPs and I don't think they'll all the sudden stop making PS exclusives.

Currently Playing: Pokemon X

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    I must be honest, the first resistance I personally thought was the best one but so far quite a few FPS games have overshadowed it. Resistance 2 I thought wasn't nearly as good as the first one, not even close and the 3rd one to me was just mediocre at best. But if you closely look at all 3 titles, they were all mediocre, to me at least. If another studio from Sony gets ahold of the IP, I am sure they could do much better. It almost looked like the developers were already getting burnt out when Resistance 2 came out and it showed on Resistance 3.

13. Likes Tetsu likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Not at all. Insomniac Games has 2 branches - the original team that made Spyro and R&C, and the second team that they set up just before this gen that worked on Resistance. From this point on the Resistance branch will probably make multiplats but the original team will continue to work with SCEA. So really, it'll be just as it was in the PS1/2 days, we'll see fewer exclusive releases by IG, but for sure we'll still be seeing PS exclusives from them, they haven't gone 100% multiplat like some people want.
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzyreactor
    Nothing more exciting than bringing home a brand new console and watching a download screen for a hour.

yay, next gen!

15. Likes Ghost likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    Insomniac lost some of its mojo the frist fall of man was great and 2 and thrid was ok,

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    Not at all. Insomniac Games has 2 branches - the original team that made Spyro and R&C, and the second team that they set up just before this gen that worked on Resistance. From this point on the Resistance branch will probably make multiplats but the original team will continue to work with SCEA. So really, it'll be just as it was in the PS1/2 days, we'll see fewer exclusive releases by IG, but for sure we'll still be seeing PS exclusives from them, they haven't gone 100% multiplat like some people want.
    The only other branch I know of is Click and I think they only do smaller mobile projects. My guess is the original Insomniac itself will split in two teams. I think they will do another exclusive but maybe not this gen. It all depends on Overstrike i guess.

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Overstrike fails to meet expectations, Insomniac see the error of their ways and joins Sony WWS, get **** loads of funding and make a Ratchet and Clank FPS!

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    The only other branch I know of is Click and I think they only do smaller mobile projects. My guess is the original Insomniac itself will split in two teams. I think they will do another exclusive but maybe not this gen. It all depends on Overstrike i guess.
    I don't think so personally, Insomniac will probably always want to work with SCEA because they have a great relationship with them for over 16 years, even if OverStrike did over 10m on PS360, the original team will probably stay where it is, breaking all ties with Sony would be a pretty big move considering the amount of freedom Sony lets them have with their IPs, whereas EA will probably want to turn OverStrike into a every-other-year franchise with minimal differences. We'll see really but I can''t see them breaking away from Sony after such a long relationship.
    Nothing more exciting than bringing home a brand new console and watching a download screen for a hour.

yay, next gen!

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    No shortage indeed.

PS4 has little to no competition.

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    I don't think they should have done an FPS tbh, they work much better in their own genres which are platformers and adventures..they would probably have been better going the Naughty Dog route.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    The Resistance team was full of new developers who had probably made FPS games in the past.

yay, next gen!

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdoggy View Post
    Resistance 2 I thought wasn't nearly as good as the first one, not even close and the 3rd one to me was just mediocre at best. But if you closely look at all 3 titles, they were all mediocre, to me at least. ...It almost looked like the developers were already getting burnt out when Resistance 2 came out and it showed on Resistance 3.
    I have to agree with this. I bought the R2 Special Edition, and never opened it because Resistance just doesn't have any appeal for me. I don't think Insomniac is the developer who should have gone this gritty adult gaming route. They do way better with Ratchet & Clank, letting their imaginations jump on a rollercoaster and have fun with it.

Overstrike looks like even more refried hash, as I stated in another thread, just way too cliche and retread. I hope they enjoy working for EA slavedrivers who want them to chuck out a game every 11.5 months, regardless of how good or lame it is. And I hope the other team survives this silliness and keeps making good games in the R&C vein.
    Now writing: two Ratchet & Clank novels, a Sly 4 novel, and two rock albums
    PSN ID: Tetsumura/Tetsumaru019
    Pray for this planet! And I don't mean the environment

Superior Member
    I'm not so sure about Overstrike as well but time will tell, we've only seen a trailer.
    The demo should be interesting though

Greatness Awaits

Superior Member

I don't see them giving any rights to exclusivity back to Sony unless they pay for them. Even then they won't let Sony control future games or any of the content. Intellectual ownership of property is no small thing to give up. Being able to forge your own future or decide what and when and where to release games and control what spinoffs into other mediums is very important for a company as creative as Insomniac.

I agree about Overstrike. They better really show something special with this game...it looks utterly uninspired compared to the passion and depth they developed with both the R&C and Resistance game worlds.

Soldier 95B
    Overstrike fails to meet expectations, Insomniac see the error of their ways and joins Sony WWS, get **** loads of funding and make a Ratchet and Clank FPS!
    Over strike already looks better than Resistance IMO. Granted I am a TF fan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

CarolynNaborsc
    They were independent to start with.

Thread Information