Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Which Final Fantasy game is best for me?

I borrowed FF8 from a friend and thinking about giving it a go. Keep in mind that I'm an RPG noob. I've beaten FF13 (Which I know is much different from the earlier games) and FF10. So my question is what would be best for me to play first to get a idea of how to play a standard RPG game. I'm debating FF7 and 9. I've played both very briefly but didn't really get too far into them. I know FF8 is known for being one of the more difficult ones of the PS1 era but what about 7 & 9. I always hear everyone say 7 is the best of them but I played a little bit last night at my friends and the control with the d-pad really threw me off. I was having trouble going where I wanted to. It is something that I could eventually get used to.

I'm really just wanting to play them for the stories. So in comparison which would be the best one for me to get into and don't really know why I'm asking this but which story is the best in your mind? I'm sure the second question will be dominated by FF7 votes but just help me out here. Also please explain what makes your choice better than the other. Such as combat and story aspects. Thanks.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    If you want my advice, I will tell you to stay as far away from FFVIII as possible. At least play FFVII and FFIX first.

FFVIII's character development system is very annoying IMO. Not only that, but the enemies level up with you, so you're actually punished for leveling up. In addition, the story is either boring or very ridiculous.

Some people love it though, so you might like it. Who knows?

If you already beat FFX though, then you're not a complete noob. FFX has everything you can expect from a Final Fantasy game except for the miniature overworld map.

3. Likes Lethal likes this post
    Elite Sage
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DS
    Oh boy, you want story? FFVI my friend.
    |My Playfire|My Deviantart|
    - SIG BY MY SISTER-

Dedicated Member

Personally I think VII has the best story, closely followed by X.

As you've played X, and you're new to RPGs, I would play using this priority:

VII
    IX
    VIII
    VI

If you can handle how dated VI looks, I'd put it after VII. I only put it at the bottom because it might be too overwhelming until you really like the series. I really enjoy FF but I struggled with it - even though the story is good, I find it hard to get into 2d games.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Go to VII next, because if you play IX then you'll most likely not appreciate VII as much. You should play VII, then IX, then VI, then any of FFI - FFV.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    RaYU84
    Items Dr. DreDragon Ball Z3DSPS3 SlimNintendo 64TOOLPink FloydAC/DCFuturamaMetallica
    It's been years and years since I've played these games, but if you're looking mainly for story, I think VII would be best. Or VI. Those are my two personal favorites. But VIII and IX are great too.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Yeah thing I forgot to say about FFX was that I beat it with a gameshark. I know, I know. I was young and stupid and RPGs tbh scared me. I played it for the story which I got from it but didn't do myself justice as far as getting into RPGs. *Braces for shots*

Elite Sage
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DS
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    Yeah thing I forgot to say about FFX was that I beat it with a gameshark. I know, I know. I was young and stupid and RPGs tbh scared me. I played it for the story which I got from it but didn't do myself justice as far as getting into RPGs. *Braces for shots*
    - SIG BY MY SISTER-

10. Likes PS4freak likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC

12. Likes PS4freak likes this post
    Master Guru
    Items Final Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IV
    I say, start with VII and just use a guide to lead you through. Pull up a faq on gamefaqs or something (if you have a laptop for instance) and allow someone whose gone before to hold your hand, since this would be your first proper playthrough of a Japanese role playing game. You'll want to explore every nook and cranny of VII's world anyway, beat the weapons, get Knights of the Round, acquire Omnislash, etc. Just make sure it's a spoiler free guide though.

Also, after that, I say go on to IX, and then VIII. VIII last because it is while traditional storywise and whatnot it's level progression (as Ixion mentioned) is a marked departure from how the series had established itself. You have to draw magic from monsters and stock them and assign them to strength and magic attributes and if you use these magic spells then your attributes decrease. It's still a great game though, has some amazing FMV sequences for instance, and I would wholeheartedly recommend you give it a try.

Final Fantasy IX I have only played through once (came out the same year as the PS2). I plan to rectify this soon however, but it is like a throwback to the Final Fantasies of old, a homage if you will. It's a great game in truth, and has one of my favorite moments in all of Final Fantasy in an FMV sequence, and perhaps Nobou Uematsu's best villain theme in Kuja's Theme.

After playing through the PS1 games, if the 16 bit graphics don't bother you (they don't bother me and I find I can still play games I have yet to experience from this era) give Final Fantasy VI a go. I'm currently playing through this game for the first time right now. It is perhaps the best of the 16 bit iterations and I can certainly see why some hold it to be their favorite. IV and V I suppose you could play in any order, both are great games as well.
    Last edited by Fedos; 01-27-2012 at 22:06.

Currently playing? Skyrim (360). White Knight Chronicles (PS3). Majoras Mask (Wii). Final Fanasy VII (PS2). Just completed? Final Fantasy VI.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    FF7 was my first JRPG and I did it without any hints or guides. Seriously, FF7 is the easiest JRPG ever, you don't need a guide, if you do, you'll need one for every JRPG you play.
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    FF7 was my first JRPG and I did it without any hints or guides. Seriously, FF7 is the easiest JRPG ever, you don't need a guide, if you do, you'll need one for every JRPG you play.
    Well, I only recommended getting the guide as the only way you'll be able to puzzle out how to get Knights of the Round and beat the Weapons. Final Fantasy VII was my first JRPG as well. Did you manage to do all that without a guide? I sure didn't.

Currently playing? Skyrim (360). White Knight Chronicles (PS3). Majoras Mask (Wii). Final Fanasy VII (PS2). Just completed? Final Fantasy VI.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Well for your first playthrough I'd just do the story really then on your second go for everything. Constantly looking at a guide while playing is gonna totally take you out of the experiece really.

I pretty much did everything without a guide, yeah, the hints the chocobo sage gives you is enough to do the chocobo breeding, the only thing I needed some slight hints on was the ancient forest.

Master Guru
    I certainly see the wisdom in that. It would make for a better experience on a first play through that's for sure. OP you should take Aaronsoldier's advice in this regard.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Yeah if whichever I choose, most likely 7 by the overwhelming suggestions, I will be playing without a guide. Going to try to get through it with as minimal help as possible. I'm sure I will be fine. FF13 although a less traditional approach to RPGs had some tough fights that I made it through without a guide. Crossing my fingers that they will be announcing when FFX HD will be coming out. Putting that off till then and I can play it the proper way.

Could it be...I am sleeping?
    Items Final Fantasy TacticsFinal Fantasy XIIFinal Fantasy XIV OnlineFinal Fantasy XI OnlineFinal Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IV
    IMO, the most traditional JRPG out of the series is IX for several reasons. The leveling/skill system, the concept art, environment, characters and their jobs, the battle system, and the story are all best in representing your traditional classic turn-based Japanese role-playing game. I cannot think of any other Final Fantasy that did not have its own special battle system that differentiate it from the rest of its genre. FF7: Materia system, FF8: Draw, FF10: Spheres, FF12: ?, FF13: CrystariumForgot that I was mentioning real JRPGs. That doesn't mean IX's battle system is boring or bland, it's actually one of the greatest. So yes, IX is your best option in playing a traditional classic JRPG.
    Who I Am
    _________

Currently Playing: Harvest Moon (3DS)
    Recently Completed: Parasite Eve
    I & II, Wild ARMs, Mario 3D Land, ICO & SoTC HD, Zelda: OoT 3D, VVVVVV, Gravity Rush

Elite Sage
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DS
    12 had the license system and was real time combat, where you could move your character around. However, I disagree with the XIII part. It was one hell of a XIII, although a very linear one.
    - SIG BY MY SISTER-

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Final Fantasy VII is and will always be the best FF game ever made.

22. Likes AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorzilla View Post
    However, I disagree with the XIII part. It was one hell of a XIII
    Yes. Yes it was.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Well everyone thanks for the suggestions. I purchased VII and IX off the PS store last night. I guess that I'm going to play VII first as it seemed to be the most overwhelming suggestion. If anyone has any tips such as things that absolutely should be done. My buddy told me to not really worry about Knights of the Round because it was just so overpowered that it makes the game easy when you use it. Also what do you mean Fedos by beat the weapons?

Items Final Fantasy TacticsFinal Fantasy XIIFinal Fantasy XIV OnlineFinal Fantasy XI OnlineFinal Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IV
    Also what do you mean Fedos by beat the weapons?
    These are optional bosses which are available to fight after a certain point in the game.
    Who I Am
    _________

I & II, Wild ARMs, Mario 3D Land, ICO & SoTC HD, Zelda: OoT 3D, VVVVVV, Gravity Rush

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Quote Originally Posted by Eltimas View Post
    These are optional bosses which are available to fight after a certain point in the game.
    Do you obtain special items for beating said bosses I assume?

Do you obtain special items for beating said bosses I assume?
    Of course. Ruby Weapon drops an item called Desert Rose(can be traded for a Gold Chocobo.) Emerald Weapon drops Earth Harp(can be traded for a full mastered materia set.) And finally Ultimate Weapon drops Ultima Weapon, Cloud's best weapon.

There are other optional bosses which I can't remember where or what exactly they drop.
    Who I Am
    _________

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Of course. Ruby Weapon drops an item called Desert Rose(can be traded for a Gold Chocobo.) Emerald Weapon drops Earth Harp(can be traded for a full mastered materia set.) And finally Ultimate Weapon drops Ultima Weapon, Cloud's best weapon.

There are other optional bosses which I can't remember where or what exactly they drop.
    Thanks. I will definitely make sure I do some research on this so I don't miss out on them.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Just like the dragons in FFVI.

If you liked XIII then you should REALLY like VII.

Thread Information