Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot

Microsoft: 'No new Xbox in 2012'

Microsoft: 'No new Xbox in 2012'

Xbox not looking to compete with Wii U, says exec

A Microsoft exec has seemingly confirmed the firm will not be releasing a new Xbox console in 2012.

Speaking to Lepoint.fr, Cedrick Delmas, marketing director of Microsoft France, was presented with recent rumors that have suggested the platform holder is on the cusp of revealing its next-generation of hardware. Delmas responded by stating that he's "not convinced that things are happening this year" and said he feels that the "cycle of the Xbox 360 is by no means complete," citing the lack of an Xbox 360 price cut as evidence that Microsoft isn't ready to move on yet.

"After that, it will happen at E3, it is still premature. What is certain is that there will be nothing new in 2012," he added.

Delmas went on to discuss Microsoft's position in relation to Nintendo, which is set to re-reveal the Wii U at E3 this year and go on to be on shelves and in homes by December.

"We are not here to deal with Nintendo and they are not there to fight against other manufacturers. Nintendo has placed itself in a different cycle, they advance at their own pace, successfully as we have seen with the Wii, and now it is their turn to present their innovation," said Delmas.

Despite the fact that the marketing man has said Microsoft's next console won't be out this year it is believed the hardware will make an appearance at this year's E3.

Early reports have suggested the machine will support Blu-ray and use a Radeon 6000 card that boasts 'six times' the power of the Xbox 360.

Not surprised. Oh well, still plenty of life left in this gen!

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Yeah didn't expect it and they don't need it with their record sales in November, majority of gamers don't need next yet just yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Some people can't (or don't want to) read the signs of the times. Sony and MS have said there is no rush, many devs (including Ken Levine, Cliffy B and Todd Howard) have said there is no need for it or it's not coming, sales have shown there is no need for it and the games themselves show it. Still, people will be whipped up into a frenzy about a "report" from an "unconfirmed source" lol. MS and Sony didn't spend all the money in developing and advertising motion controls with the idea of extending the consoles life a year or 2.

4. Likes AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    No surprise at all. Theres some great games coming out in 2012 on the hardware we already have.

Soldier 95B
    I want new hardware...but I like the hardware we have now. So either way, it's a win win for me.

7. Likes AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    Super Elite
    Nintendo is just playing "catch-up" anyways. Nintendo choose not to compete when they launched the Wii, and it is acknowledged well by the others. But it would be nice if Nintendo at least tried to introduce features on-par with the rest of them. Also, when is Reggie going to get fired?? I dislike him immensely!
    私は日本語がわかります。図書館で読みます。ビール飲みます。

9. Likes AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    Master Guru
    Items FuturamaGoogle ChromeAmerican DadHalf-Life 2Battlefield 3User name style
    I'm fine with that. I think 2013 will be about right to launch a new console.
    Last edited by darky89; 01-31-2012 at 14:15.

Don't Steal. Don't Molest Little Children. Don't Deal Drugs.

Mr. Ten-A-Key!
    Items User name style
    im thinking holiday 2013 or even 2014 depending on whats going on.

Dedicated Member

"After that, it will happen at E3, it is still premature. What is certain is that there will be nothing new in 2012," he added.
    Considering that is French translated to English, I would be very careful before drawing conclusions. "It will happen at E3"? What will happen at E3? Obviously something will.

As for "nothing new in 2012" well, I would like some clarification on that. MS's 2012 ends on June 30th of 2012, and 2013 begins on July 1.

He may very well be saying that there will be no new console in MS's 2012 fiscal year, but a new console may be announced at E3 with release set in MS's 2013 fiscal year, which would include this coming Christmas holiday season.

I just never trust translated answers, especially when they don't make clear sense to begin wtih. What is happening at E3?

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Halo 4 releasing this year on 360 pretty much confirms no nextbox this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Quote Originally Posted by Completely Average View Post
    Considering that is French translated to English, I would be very careful before drawing conclusions. "It will happen at E3"? What will happen at E3? Obviously something will.

As for "nothing new in 2012" well, I would like some clarification on that. MS's 2012 ends on June 30th of 2012, and 2013 begins on July 1.

He may very well be saying that there will be no new console in MS's 2012 fiscal year, but a new console may be announced at E3 with release set in MS's 2013 fiscal year, which would include this coming Christmas holiday season.

I just never trust translated answers, especially when they don't make clear sense to begin wtih. What is happening at E3?
    I think he was just addressing the rumor that it would be revealed at E3. If he was actually saying something would happen at E3, this would be bigger news. It's as if he was saying "As for it happening at E3, it is still premature."

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    well their choice and be it a good choice to wait until 2013 or even 2014
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Elite Guru
    Items Naughty DogMetal Gear SolidPlayStation
    The longer this drags out the more I want a new console, If I don't see a new console that is not a Nintendo (nothing against them just not my style) by 2013 then I'll be very disappointed.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    the waiting is part of the hype and i see a new one 2013 or 214.... Maybe it will come out this year and they are trying to throw us of track about it
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    I think he was just addressing the rumor that it would be revealed at E3. If he was actually saying something would happen at E3, this would be bigger news. It's as if he was saying "As for it happening at E3, it is still premature."

Which is why I said I would be careful before drawing conclusions. What he actually said was said in French, and a lot of things can be miscommunicated through translation. I don't like it when you have to translate an answer that is already written in English to try to figure out what he meant. You're automatically assuming he didn't mean what he said.

Not saying the rumors are true or false, I'm just going to wait for a clearer and more definitive answer.

Forum Overseer
    No $#@!ing way that MS wants to compete with Sony through Kinect for the next few years as it is implied by this report.

Unless MS starts getting deals or opens/buys studios, I see no reason as to why they wouldn't already be planning next-generation now.

The 360 is turning in profits, if they want to continue that, you either get deals for the current console OR you plan for the next. It's either one or the other...no way possible that they aren't coming up with something new in the next year or two.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    No $#@!ing way that MS wants to compete with Sony through Kinect for the next few years as it is implied by this report.
    I'm not so sure, it seems to be working for them so far. They are kinda chasing different demographics now anyway.

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    I'm not so sure, it seems to be working for them so far. They are kinda chasing different demographics now anyway.
    MS is after core and casual, so that is a win win.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    IOUaBeatn
    Items Naughty DogDead NationGears of War 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post

...and the people who stream tv/movies. Win win...win. They may be switching demographics, but it's a smart move. Instead of catering to one group of people, they're now catering to 3 or 4. That means more sales which means more money for them to bring us content. I'm completely fine with what Microsoft is doing and I believe fully that it's a very smart move.

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post

I don't think so. Follow the money. The money points to casual. More money from casual means more resources diverted to casual. It makes sense. MS is a business, after all, just like Sony, just like Microsoft. Copy the Nintendo model and run with it. I'm just curious how far they will run away from the core and what that will mean in the long run.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Power Member
    Items User name style
    MS's next console is coming next year.
    Mark my words.
    And I put money on a March-June Launch too.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by LeisureSuitLarry View Post
    I don't think so. Follow the money. The money points to casual. More money from casual means more resources diverted to casual. It makes sense. MS is a business, after all, just like Sony, just like Microsoft. Copy the Nintendo model and run with it. I'm just curious how far they will run away from the core and what that will mean in the long run.
    QFT I totally agree. I think MS has made their casual focus pretty clear. http://www.vg247.com/2012/01/23/micr...cused-studios/
    Last edited by mistercrow; 02-06-2012 at 11:04.

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by LeisureSuitLarry View Post
    I think so. They already know that it's the core gamer that prints money for them. None of the Kinect games have come anywhere close to sales that compare to core game. Considering they keep releasing more and more core games each year with the most sales out of any console, it's no surprise that they don't lose focus on the core crowd. Casual is just another side source of revenue, though one that pales in comparison to core. They came out fighting tough, but their biggest seller in the casual market is 2 million. The rest are in the hundreds of thousands. Pretty sad actually. They already know they can't make ends meet with that.

Glad they are appealing to more though. Just as long as they don't lose their focus on the core, their bread and butter.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Its quite simple:

When your loosing, or breaking even on your console, you sell to the core, you will sell less console but make more money on the games.

When your making lots of money on your console, you can sell it to the casual market.

Apprentice
    I'm betting 2014 still. And we get an Annoucment in 2013.

Thread Information