Latest PSU headlines:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2
Results 26 to 38 of 38
  1. #26
    Extreme Poster
    Sufi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    31
    Posts
    27,904
    Rep Power
    180
    Points
    73,770 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Its quite simple:

    When your loosing, or breaking even on your console, you sell to the core, you will sell less console but make more money on the games.

    When your making lots of money on your console, you can sell it to the casual market.
    what lol

  2. #27
    Soldier 95B
    Guest
    If I understand mynd...he is saying that Microsoft is rolling in the dough from GAMES with hardcore, but sell their consoles early to the core at a loss or break even in the hardware. Now they are making a profit on hardware, the sales they are getting from casual is making them crap loads more money now, even though those casuals are not buying games, making the games less to non-profitable.

  3. #28
    Power Member
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    41
    Posts
    16,711
    Rep Power
    154
    Points
    100,210 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    what lol
    When a console launches, you sell it at a loss.
    The idea is, long term you will make money on royalties, and sales of software.
    You sell it to the hardcore, those that buy lots of games.
    The sooner you snare them the better it is for you over the life of the console.
    You might take a hit of $50 on selling your console to them, but you gain that back on the first 3 games they buy.

    Fast forward 4 years.
    You can now make the console quite cheaply, your making $80 on each console.
    But you need to sell more of them.
    If you can open up a new market (the casuals), who will buy the machine, and maybe only one or 2 casual games a year, then you dont care that they dont buy much software, you got your money when you sold the console to them.

    Thats why MS are keeping their powder dry in terms of exlcusives this year.

    Thats why games like PGR5 will launch with the next console, next year.
    Its also why Turn 10 are currently making Forza 5 for the next gen console.
    Thats why Halo 5 will release 18 months after the next Xbox hits the market.
    Thats why Halo 4 is launching on the xbox360, to capture them for the next xbox.

    Thats why without a doubt, Halo 4 will finish on a cliffhanger....
    Its called creating a demand.

    And its also called using your marketing brain.
    Last edited by mynd; 02-07-2012 at 20:36.
    2play:Red Dead, GTA 4,Batman AC,Batman AO,Borderlands 2,Skyrim,Sleeping Dogs,Reckoning,Dead Island, DarkSiders 2,Dark Souls,Dead Space 2,MGS 3,MGS:PW, XCOM:EU,Hitman Absolution,Biosuck Infinite,Assassins Creed 3,Deus Ex,Castlevania, Halo Wars,Civilization,Forza Horizon,Black Ops,Black Ops 2,MW3,LA Noire,Crackdown,Dead Rising 2,Fallout 3, Fallout:NV,RE 4, Bully, Hitman HD collecton.

  4. #29
    Ultimate Veteran
    mistercrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Posts
    24,784
    Rep Power
    161
    Points
    155,774 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    When a console launches, you sell it at a loss.The idea is, long term you will make money on royalties, and sales of software.You sell it to the hardcore, those that buy lots of games.The sooner you snare them the better it is for you over the life of the console.You might take a hit of $50 on selling your console to them, but you gain that back on the first 3 games they buy.Fast forward 4 years.You can now make the console quite cheaply, your making $80 on each console.But you need to sell more of them.If you can open up a new market (the casuals), who will buy the machine, and maybe only one or 2 casual games a year, then you dont care that they dont buy much software, you got your money when you sold the console to them.Thats why MS are keeping their powder dry in terms of exlcusives this year.Thats why games like PGR5 will launch with the next console, next year.Its also why Turn 10 are currently making Forza 5 for the next gen console.Thats why Halo 5 will release 18 months after the next Xbox hits the market.Thats why Halo 4 is launching on the xbox360, to capture them for the next xbox.Thats why without a doubt, Halo 4 will finish on a cliffhanger....Its called creating a demand.And its also called using your marketing brain.
    I'm hoping that with the next box that MS brings back some of the killer ips theyre sitting on such as Rallisport Challenge and Crimson Skies for example. Combine those with the next Forza, Halo, PGR, etc. and MS would have a killer first party lineup.

  5. #30
    Soldier 95B
    Guest
    I would like to see them come back with Midtown Madness. That game IMO was BAD ASS.

  6. #31
    Ultimate Veteran
    mistercrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Posts
    24,784
    Rep Power
    161
    Points
    155,774 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    I would like to see them come back with Midtown Madness. That game IMO was BAD ASS.
    I agree. Even Brute Force had potential despite being lambasted by the critics. Mech Assault was another good one too.

  7. #32
    Power Member
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    41
    Posts
    16,711
    Rep Power
    154
    Points
    100,210 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Brute Force, and Crimson Skies ar eboth ideally suited to our more online, Xbox Live world now.
    I have no idea why they dont bring them back.
    2play:Red Dead, GTA 4,Batman AC,Batman AO,Borderlands 2,Skyrim,Sleeping Dogs,Reckoning,Dead Island, DarkSiders 2,Dark Souls,Dead Space 2,MGS 3,MGS:PW, XCOM:EU,Hitman Absolution,Biosuck Infinite,Assassins Creed 3,Deus Ex,Castlevania, Halo Wars,Civilization,Forza Horizon,Black Ops,Black Ops 2,MW3,LA Noire,Crackdown,Dead Rising 2,Fallout 3, Fallout:NV,RE 4, Bully, Hitman HD collecton.

  8. #33
    Elite Guru
    Nitey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Age
    25
    Posts
    5,675
    Rep Power
    59
    Points
    40,911 (0 Banked)
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Thats why without a doubt, Halo 4 will finish on a cliffhanger....
    Its called creating a demand.
    Deja vu?



    Nah, but what you said seems spot on. It's how consoles usually do it in their lifetime

  9. #34
    Forum Sage
    Sub-stance1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    9,548
    Rep Power
    73
    Points
    53,711 (0 Banked)
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    lol....why would MS launch a new console this year when they are doing so well with the 360? I don't think anyone expected a new console this year.

  10. Likes Nitey likes this post
  11. #35
    Soldier 95B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    lol....why would MS launch a new console this year when they are doing so well with the 360? I don't think anyone expected a new console this year.
    I am guessing 2013 or 2014.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

  12. #36
    Trying not to break stuff...
    DarkVincent07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Age
    21
    Posts
    17,210
    Rep Power
    104
    Points
    44,789 (0 Banked)
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    I am guessing 2013 or 2014.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Yep im betting next year announcement for sure, with a late 2013 or early 2014 release


    Via Tapatalk

    PS4/PS3/X360/WiiU/PC/3DS/PSV


  13. #37
    Forum Sage
    Sub-stance1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    9,548
    Rep Power
    73
    Points
    53,711 (0 Banked)
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    I am guessing 2013 or 2014.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Yea, that seems about the right time to launch. Whenever they do, it will be a day one buy for me this time.

  14. #38
    Super Elite
    MacP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Essex, England.
    Posts
    2,224
    Rep Power
    55
    Points
    4,724 (0 Banked)
    I think it has been backtracked because Sony have yet to release details of their next console.
    Sent from my computer using keyboard.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

PSU

Playstation Universe

Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission of Abstract Holdings International Ltd. prohibited.
Use of this site is governed by our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.