Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation

Concussions and Safety in Football

Those of you who watch ESPN should be aware of a show called "Outside the Lines First Report". I watched it recently about concussions in football, not just the NFL. On this particular episode, they were talking about how outdated the helmets of NFL, college, and high school are and etc.

I have three questions for you guys:

1. Do you think if football equipment was updated and met better standards that the rate of concussions would die down?

2. Former NFL players are suing the NFL. Do you think they have the right to sue the NFL or did they do damage to themselves knowing they were playing a dangerous game?

3. Seeing how dangerous football is and the damage concussions cause, would YOU let your son play football if you had a son? Are there any precautions you would make, like one woman and her husband bought their son a brand new helmet instead of using the school's refurbished helmet.

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I think it's because, by nature, the sport of gridiron (Football) doesn't lend itself to correct and safer tackling. I LOVE the sport, and not to make this a vs Rugby thing, but most rugby players are perfectly fine after their careers (Save for freak injuries).

Football tends to be mroe about the big shoulder and helmet hits as opposed to just tackling somebody. Watch a few rugby games and you'll see PROPER technique in tackling, where it's not really dependant on size.

You'll see smaller guys (90-100 KGs) take down guys 10-20kgs bigger than them with supreme technique.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

3. Likes weskurtz81, F34R likes this post
    Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    I think it's because, by nature, the sport of gridiron (Football) doesn't lend itself to correct and safer tackling. I LOVE the sport, and not to make this a vs Rugby thing, but most rugby players are perfectly fine after their careers (Save for freak injuries).

Football tends to be mroe about the big shoulder and helmet hits as opposed to just tackling somebody. Watch a few rugby games and you'll see PROPER technique in tackling, where it's not really dependant on size.

You'll see smaller guys (90-100 KGs) take down guys 10-20kgs bigger than them with supreme technique.
    Excellent assessment. +rep/like

Master Guru
    Items Legend of ZeldaInsomniac GamesKonamiNaughty DogNintendoMetal Gear SolidFinal Fantasy XI OnlineDark Souls CoverPlayStationDoomDemons Souls Cover
    i just think they need to have actual men in the NFL. you used to be able to dropkick people back when they wore thick sweaters. people will get hurt, $#@! happens. and they get payed to play a game, they shouldn't be able to sue anybody unless something internal happens and by internal i mean front office type $#@!. i find myself not watching the games hardly anymore because they throw more flags than the French army

Let's be honest: You sleep with anything that walks on two legs. Sometimes, you're not even that discriminating

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Excellent assessment. +rep/like
    Cheers mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Funeralfog View Post
    i just think they need to have actual men in the NFL. you used to be able to dropkick people back when they wore thick sweaters. people will get hurt, $#@! happens. and they get payed to play a game, they shouldn't be able to sue anybody unless something internal happens and by internal i mean front office type $#@!. i find myself not watching the games hardly anymore because they throw more flags than the French army
    I don't think the vast majority of players 'toughness' is the issue. Apart from some guys (*ahem*finger pointing Brady); most guys will be ok with taking a hit/hard tackle.

I think the NFL should indeed look out for the interest of the players as a group. But at the same time, they've gone too far with these rule changes.

Someone like Ray Ray or Urlacher can play hard and tough, but also display excellent technique in wrapping up and tackling.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Moved to the Sports sub section

Thread Information