Page 1 of 6 1 ... LastLast
    Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    HitMan00

Saints Row Dev: Xbox 720 Used Game Ban 'Fantastic'

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/121/1218051p1.html

Last month, rumors began circulating that the next Xbox will block the play of used games. Saints Row: The Third designer Jameson Durall has spoken out about the rumor, calling the idea "fantastic."

In a blog post on #AltDevBlogADay, Durall writes, "Personally I think this would be a fantastic change for our business. Even though the consumers would be up in arms about it at first, they will grow to understand why and that it won't kill them."

"The system is already there for Microsoft. All they'd have to do is use the DLC and codes model they have to tie a game to your Xbox live account," Durall continues. "Each retail disc would likely need that unique key somewhere in the code so the account would be able to link it properly. Ideally it would tie a full version to the console it is registered on so family members can play even if the main account isn't signed in."

As far as lending games, Durall notes that Microsoft "could implement something similar to what Amazon is doing with their Kindle Books lending policy."
    Durall believes that the system could be similar to rental services, and that Microsoft could even create its own rental program.

"I could see Microsoft implementing their own rental service which would maybe give them a code that activates the game for X days and they are charged a small amount," Durall suggests. "This could work when you borrow the disc from someone or even with digital download of the full version. It would also send a percentage of the rental to the Developer with each rental, likely improving the overall revenue we would receive from it."

Durall concludes by commenting that used game sales hurt the industry more than most people realize, and that "we have to do something about these issues or our industry is going to fall apart."

Master Poster
    Items VitaLiverpool360 SlimPS3 FatGoogle Chrome
    If all devs are forced to release demos so we can try the games our properly then this wont be much of a problem IMO but i am not paying full price for a game that only has good trailers or reviews, which is why i buy second hand games sometimes.

I am still against this though.

Forum Overseer
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Well once we go DD eventually, this problem will be resolved either way I guess.

I wouldn't really mind all these restrictions, as long as they lower the prices and give us some of the cost back. Rewards us as well for going this way.

Elite Guru
    Items Naughty DogMetal Gear SolidPlayStation
    I buy 99% of my games new, if they ever did ban used games from working I'd just buy all my games new.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    This guy is a $#@!ing moron. I'll never support anything they release just because of this moronic line of thinking. $#@! him. ANY company that supports this $#@! will cease to have support from me.

6. Likes John25 , CMac21, Acid Snake , Ezekiel likes this post
    Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    This guy is a $#@!ing moron. I'll never support anything they release just because of this moronic line of thinking. $#@! him. ANY company that supports this $#@! will cease to have support from me.
    You don't see things eventually going this way? I will be the same as you but I feel that most people will follow and thus why it wouldn't matter in the end if I boycotted everyone or not.

DD is practically this, isn't it? I feel that it's inevitable.

Elite Sage

hypocritical post incomming!!!

I buy all of my games new and they are all DD games so in a sense this shouldn't bother me as i'm used to it on PC. Thing is the PC market and Console markets are two different beats. I'm happy to buy games on DD for my PC as the ease of downloading and them is far to easy to give up - For that reason DD doesn't bother me and i've rarely traded in games anyway (One games i've traded in in the last 6 years is GTA4 because i had two copies)

The only time my PC would leave my house was if I wanted a few LAN games with friends so more often than not it stayed in one place and i played on my own/online.

My consoles however, whenever i buy games on those i'd bring the games round to my friends or lend games out, what they want is to pretty much try and stop me from being able to do this. What about familys with more than one person who owns a console, are they then locked to one console?

I think this is a terrible thing and if MS do decide to do this it'll be interesting to see how many people decide to buy the NextBox.

Sorry if this doesn't make much sense i'm pretty much rambling, been tired and feel a bit sick.

Hopefully my point stands though

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Greedy developers and publishers. Used game sales will "make the industry fall apart" LMAO. And then saying consumers will be up in arms at first but then basically says they will fall in line. If MS actually does this then I hope that the Xbox 720 falls flat on its face.

Soldier 95B
    This wouldn't bother me in the least and I am fine with it. However, the Xbox 3 IMO won't go this route. This benefits the developer and publisher more than the console maker.

But no matter. I buy all my stuff new, and hope to buy all DD anyway.

Super Elite
    PC already has a strict system in a lot of the sense. Console gamers have had it easy. My main beef tho is how do I buy I discontinued game? If it wasn't for used games, I could not have played Infinite Undiscovery. But seeing as how the music industry is full DD, video can potentially see it to this effect as well.

But as I have said, Sony MUST be onboard as well or else Xbox will "Dreamcast" itself.
    私は日本語がわかります。図書館で読みます。ビール飲みます。

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    This wouldn't bother me in the least and I am fine with it. However, the Xbox 3 IMO won't go this route. This benefits the developer and publisher more than the console maker.

Here's the problem: Console makers like to make their console attractive to developers and publishers because they get royalties out of it. I mean, that's the whole point, isn't it?

If this is going to work then everyone has to get on the bandwagon, MS, Sony and Nintendo (well, maybe not Nintendo). And even then, the console makers have to come up with a decent plan for this to work.

If this means we will get discounted games on launch? I'll suck it up and see it as somewhat of a positive.

For the rest of the thread: We can call them greedy and all and some of them are but the problem is that most aren't making as much money as they should be.

Soldier 95B
    But many say that they will sell LESS games if they do this. LESS games equates to LESS royalties. LESS games equates to LESS DLC sales. If those that are claiming that to be true, then the console manufacturer would LOSE out, as would the developers and publishers.

Elite Guru
    Guess what, ban used games and I buy less new games - not buying something I can't then sell on.

15. Likes John25 likes this post
    Forum Overseer
    But many say that they will sell LESS games if they do this. LESS games equates to LESS royalties. LESS games equates to LESS DLC sales. If those that are claiming that to be true, then the console manufacturer would LOSE out, as would the developers and publishers.
    That's true. There will definitely be less sales. How less? That's what they wanna know and why they're gradually going and trying to find the equillibrium. Where their profits are the largest and sales are hurt the least.

Soldier 95B
    I personally feel it is mostly that hardcore forum goers like you and I that are the most vocal...and in the extreme minority where this is concerned. I think the majority of the public would just buy it and play it as they have intended. With that thinking they are probably willing to take the backlash from the core gamers.

This is has been common practice in PC, and I have a feeling we will see it one day. Whether it is Xbox 3 or PS4 remains to be seen. But if they are still due for release in say 2014, that is awhile to develop some sort of DRM with some flexibility.

18. Likes Omar likes this post
    Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Greed. Plain and simple. This asshole just lost any future dollars from me. So if I want to borrow a game or lend out a game I won't be able to do that and this guy thinks it is a great thing. I honestly think this is rumor plain and simple though.I don't think MS is stupid enough to lose customers because of stuff like this. I'm excited about 720 but I promise if it does have this they will not get a dime of my money.

Currently Playing: ​Skyrim, Far Cry 4
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ The Order:1886

Master Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    I refuse to pay full price for all games. The quality is just not there for a lot of games for me to do so. And this SR $#@!head is part of the dlc milking that goes on today. I guess they are pissed that gamestop provides online passes in their used games for the titles that require them.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    I refuse to pay full price for all games. The quality is just not there for a lot of games for me to do so.
    I agree. Thats why I'm very selective in my game purchases and do alot of renting.

Super Elite
    Items User name style
    They really want me to become a full blown pirate.
    Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8GHz | Nvidia 970 GTX | 6 GB Corsair Xms 1333 Mhz | 1 TB Seagate HDD | 250 GB WD HDD | Windows 7 Ultimate |

23. Likes John25 likes this post
    Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    I buy used games every chance I get and I don't see why I shouldn't. Why shouldn't I buy a used book or a used car? Some game devs want to pretend they are rock stars and buying a used game is similar to illegally downloading music. $#@! them.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

25. Likes F34R likes this post
    Soldier 95B
    I personally prefer to pay the developers (as well as Music artists) for their hard work. That is why I buy new. But I understand there are people like Larry who really just want to rent a game, play it and return it. I certainly would not get a $60 value out of a game if I only rented it for a couple days. I am very selective in my games and only buy the ones that I think I will get a $60 value out of. I make mistakes though and have made a few bad choices (FarCry 2, I am looking at you for example). But over all that is how I roll. I have rented some PS exclusives for example because I knew I wouldn't keep them after completing them.

So while I prefer new, I support others that don't want to always buy new. So I personally don't side with the decision to lock people out of used titles.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    Until games actually get bigger, longer, grander, epicer, more creatively diverse and become a full package deal (no more graphic/gamplyability/functionally trade off), I would/will never be for such a practice. Xbox 3 will burn, and the fact that everyone would have to be on board for such a thing to be implemented, I would just leave gaming period.

Super Elite
    Auto market, books, music, and movies are not comparable businesses to video games.

But unless we want developers to go under in delivering these games we love, it is in the best interest to pay the developer for their hard work. Your money as a gamer is their breadwinner.
    Last edited by Inzane2050; 02-08-2012 at 02:37.
    私は日本語がわかります。図書館で読みます。ビール飲みます。

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim

Pretty much the same with me. I don't tihnk I've bought a used game in years.

The only problem would come from rentals, but again, I haven't rented a game in ages.

What I've usually done is play and get a refund within 7 days if necessary. But I'm guessing stores will not be willing to take returns if they're not able to sell them again.

Either way, doesn't really bother me.
    Be Together - Not the same.

Ancient
    I always buy my games new, but this & the whole online pass thing sucks, I wasn't bothered about it before but after my mom got my brother some games not knowing about this bull$#@! they do now, how do ya think she felt after she found out my brother had to spend 7.99 on each one just to play them?
    I know developers deserve a cut, but sort it out with the shops don't gimp the game to 1 owner.

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Thread Information