Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Battery powered 3D vs Real3D glasses - Review

A few days ago I bought a new LG 55" LED 3D tv at Best Buy. It was on sale for $1,249.99
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/LG+-+55"+Class+/+LED+/+1080p+/+120Hz+/+3D+/+HDTV+3D+Blu-ray+Player+Bundle/2970291.p?id=1218368052715&skuId=2970291&st=LG 55"&cp=1&lp=6

This tv uses the same 3D glasses you would use at the movie Theater.

My other 3D tv was the Samsung 50" 3D plasma 8 series which uses battery powered 3D glasses.

I was getting headaches pretty quickly watching 3D on the Samsung, it would also make my contacts dry up for some reason. Playing games in 3D was nearly impossible for me. I am pretty sure it was the shutter in the glasses making my head hurt.

Anyways, I have been watching the same movies and tried the same games on my new LG tv and the difference is pretty impressive. I can now watch an entire movie without getting a headache, and my contacts do not dry up. I even noticed the picture quality is better. The 3D stands out more. Also, the battery glasses have a much darker tint to them so the image on the tv would also be darker. Yes you could up the brightness on the tv but that is a pain to have to keep changing brightness.

The battery powered glasses are pretty heavy and would start to hurt my nose. I would also occasionally notice the glasses would lose signal every once in a while. The Real3D glasses are very light and you never lose the 3D signal because the tv does it all.

All in all, the new 3D tv's are just so much nicer in every single way. If any of you suffer any of the problems I did with my Samsung, I suggest you sell and go with a newer model tv that uses the Real3D glasses. You will not regret it!

I also compared the 3D Blu-Ray player with my PS3. The PS3 fell short in quality. The picture was not as crisp and the 3D depth was not as good. For the best 3D results you will want to get yourself a 3D blu-ray player.
    Last edited by Lethal; 02-08-2012 at 15:12.

2. Likes irish-sid likes this post
    Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    So is this new TV passive 3D?

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    I agree with this review. My brother owns a Sony 3D television with battery powered glasses and the result is exactly as you described(Images are darker, headaches after a while, etc..). The LG that I bought recently negates all that, plus you don't have to worry about battery life.

@Ghost-Rhayne, Yes, it's passive 3D with the glasses to what I've experienced.

Edit: What happened to the poster before, Ghost-Rhayne?.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by FonFahbre View Post
    I agree with this review. My brother owns a Sony 3D television with battery powered glasses and the result is exactly as you described(Images are darker, headaches after a while, etc..). The LG that I bought recently negates all that, plus you don't have to worry about battery life.

@Ghost-Rhayne, Yes, it's passive 3D with the glasses to what I've experienced.

Edit: What happened to the poster before, Ghost-Rhayne?.
    I had the same darkness issue with my Sony 3D TV but then I found an option to turn up the brightness in the glasses themselves and then it wasn't an issue. LuckilyI've never had an issue with headaches or dry eyes. I'm glad you are now able to enjoy 3D Lethal! *hi 5 with depth perception!*

@ Fon - $#@! was spamming "thank you" everywhere and was clearly a bot so I reported it, and it was nuked (I assume)

6. Likes Lethal likes this post
    Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    I had the same darkness issue with my Sony 3D TV but then I found an option to turn up the brightness in the glasses themselves and then it wasn't an issue. LuckilyI've never had an issue with headaches or dry eyes. I'm glad you are now able to enjoy 3D Lethal! *hi 5 with depth perception!*

@ Fon - $#@! was spamming "thank you" everywhere and was clearly a bot so I reported it, and it was nuked (I assume)
    Wait, how can you turn up the brightness in the glasses?. My brother has been increasing the brightness in his television but it's a pain for him to change brightness between 3D and normal gameplay.

Okay, had no idea it was a bot(All they said was thank you so it was weird to see it deleted).

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Wait, how can you turn up the brightness in the glasses?. My brother has been increasing the brightness in his television but it's a pain for him to change brightness between 3D and normal gameplay.

Okay, had no idea it was a bot(All they said was thank you so it was weird to see it deleted).
    Well I'll check the options now ...

Ok on my Sony TV, I press 3D on the remote and it brings up the options, I can change the 3D display, adjust depth, adjust simulated 3D and the last option is for "3D glasses brightness". Man it was a big $#@!ing relief when I found this, made the world of difference. Hope this helps.

9. Likes Fon likes this post
    Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    Well I'll check the options now ...

Ok on my Sony TV, I press 3D on the remote and it brings up the options, I can change the 3D display, adjust depth, adjust simulated 3D and the last option is for "3D glasses brightness". Man it was a big $#@!ing relief when I found this, made the world of difference. Hope this helps.
    The $#@!, we had no idea it had that feature. Lol!. Tried Shadow of the Colossus again and it definitely made a difference then before. Thanks a ton for the info(well on his part since it's his TV).

11. Likes Ghost likes this post
    Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    The $#@!, we had no idea it had that feature. Lol!. Tried Shadow of the Colossus again and it definitely made a difference then before. Thanks a ton for the info(well on his part since it's his TV).
    Aww great! Glad to have been a help!

I don't understand the whole concept about them being battery powered?

the first question that wonders through my head is, why?

you rather make re-chargeable ones where once you've finished using them, you just stick them in'to your t.v at night and by morning they're all fired up ready to go.

Thread Information