Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Apprentice

#SOCOMUNITE - Bringing Back SOCOM To It's Original Glory

What is #SOCOMUNITE?

Starting right now, we’re launching a movement to re-energize the revolution of bringing back SOCOM to it’s original glory.We feel that the more we push, the more we fight, the more we show just how loyal of a fan base we really are, the more we inform Sony of what a great flagship online series they used to have before the formula was broken, the better our chances are that one day, we will finally get a classic SOCOM that has been LONG overdue…
    With that being said, we’d like to introduce #SOCOMUNITE. Use this term anywhere and everywhere you talk or post about SOCOM. We feel as if SOCOM fans should “unite” as one and push for what we truly deserve, SOCOM in it’s original glory.

Support #SOCOMUNITE WITH A SIG

Last edited by mastawiz; 02-11-2012 at 12:44.

Apprentice
    I know there are tons of SOCOM fans around here... i'd like to see this get big...

Apprentice
    Agree that Socom went south this gen. HARD.

However, it wasn't the only one and I think they all have the same problem and solution in common.

See, more than Socom I hate this gen's football games. Be it NCAA (my fav) or Madden, the engine is $#@!. Pure $#@!. They keep trying to polish that turd but the animations suck and leave players looking robotic. On passes, the ball didn't even rotate/spiral until 2 versions ago! The menus are slower and clunkier despite less options, etc.

Socom is the same. Somehow, better machines gave us worse games. What will fix all of them? Taking the PS2 engines for the respective game and merely tweaking it. Upgrade its visuals, AI and such now that you have more power. No need to completely re-do these games as it obviously failed. If I were EA and Zipper, I would have seen that and done it. Socom fans want Socom 2, just upgraded. Not ultra awesome failure in a new engine trying to be Socom of Duty. As for EA, they got lazt and made one engine for all its sports games. Sadly, it only translates to soccer and hockey. They should dust off the last gen engine and tweak it. I wrote them that and they said it can't be done. Yet, how many "remasters" have we seen this gen running better with minor tweaks by a 4 man staff over a few months? Haha. Imagine large teams like Zipper and EA tweaking and updating the old engines everyone loved!

Because they failed this gen trying to give people glitter and pop over fun and realistic gameplay.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    ppl now want everything to be easy...and zipper caved in! confrontation had more soul than the shallow mess zipper developed. meh, all we can hope for is for another dev to make something similar to the old school socom (that will never happen).

just thinking about seal team 6 and how the seal team operates, i immediately think about missions from socom 2 when you had to sneak in and out without being detected (extraction). that tactical feel is gone in games, nowadays mission dont feel exhilarating and rewarding when you complete it. all they do now is throw countless of respawning enemies at you with bullseye accuracy! no more micro managing your ammo because you know your weapon is silenced and when you run out of ammo, you'll have to go loud and give out your position which will make the mission harder to beat! i dont have my backwards compatible ps3 anymore, but i play socom ftb 1/2 and socom confrontation more than i've played any other game this gen. its sad to see a great franchise go down hill.

slant six has a good engine already established, all that is needed is more polish. i am contempt with an online only socom title....and i dont trust zipper developing the next socom game! $#@! EM!

socom = addicting!
    Last edited by YoungMullah88; 02-09-2012 at 20:26.

Master Guru
    Items Legend of ZeldaInsomniac GamesKonamiNaughty DogNintendoMetal Gear SolidFinal Fantasy XI OnlineDark Souls CoverPlayStationDoomDemons Souls Cover
    nobody cried when they ruined fallout

Let's be honest: You sleep with anything that walks on two legs. Sometimes, you're not even that discriminating

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    They have to dumb games down to make the big money if they kept it hardcore the minority would be praising but they woudl be broke.
    I don't like it either.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Funeralfog View Post
    nobody cried when they ruined fallout
    really, really?! that argument is played out, two entirely different genres...no need to delve deeper than that

^^^ but in socom4's case, that came back to bite them in the ass lol. socom (SOCOM FANS, not 3rd person shooter fans, not military shooter fans) players dont want a first person shooter clone in 3rd person (MAG pulled back to 3rd person view with cover system, thats how lazy zipper is) ppl wanted a hardcore game not a game with 2 primary weapons and $#@! like that. look at what valve is doing with counter strike:CO, that is EXACTLY what socom fans want with a socom 1/2 mash-up. besides socom got its inspiration from counter strike which explains why its crack (to me anyways)

this is how sad socom 4 is, socom confrontation had more active players when this thread was created. some game mechanics/gameplay just dont need to be tampered with, and socom was one of them

and this is not like Zipper did not know what fans wanted, i swear a team of developers can use the threads on socom.com and make a very good competitive online multiplayer TPS. after slant six released confrontation, fans started making threads on how to make the game better but obviously sony and zipper had other things in mind.
    Last edited by YoungMullah88; 02-10-2012 at 01:31.

Veteran
    Socom in one word huh?...
    Dead........
    As much as it pains me to say it, I'm just tired of lying to myself.

Sony to many (imo most) people feel Socom Died with 3 trying to make the game like Battlefield. Large maps, vehicles etc. It didn't work.

Socom:CA. Lets face it. It was an expansion pack sold at full retail. You played with the S3 players in the same servers, same rooms, same maps. It's only saving grace was online coop.

I know alot of people may hate me for sayin this, but then for the PS3 Sony passed up on Socom and thew all their resources behind another game. A sequel to a game that was imho mediocre at best, in search of the notorious "Halo Killer". Not realizing to many that's what Socom already was. The sequel, KZ2 turned of to be a great game.

Confrontation had potential. Most of the mechanics were there, but it was still lacking. Big title, Rookie dev, under budgeted, time restraints to coincide with the new headset... Sounds like a recipe for disaster from the get go right?. /6 did what they could with what they had. Game was HORRIBLE for the longest time, but /6 put in the work and turned it into a decent game. It had it fare share of issues, but it still looked like Socom, played like Socom and felt like Socom It was fun until the cheaters came. Sounds like every socom huh? lol

Now they're looking for that COD Killer so they tried making Socom like COD and now it doesn't look like Socom, play like Socom or really resemble any game in the franchise at all to be honest.

Socom as we knew and loved it is gone. I just cant keep lying to myself. Me and my clan are currently looking /hoping that Capcom and /6 can fill the void in our hearts with Operation Raccoon City. Its looks kind of Socomish. 6v6 STARS (Seals) vs Umbrella (Terrorists)all while Zombies are trying to kill both sides. I'm drooling. Cant wait for March 20th.
    Last edited by faaeng; 02-10-2012 at 03:14.
    PCs are very much like Air Conditioners.
    They both become utterly useless once you start to open up Windows....
    ----------------------------------------------

PSN ID
    WarMachine_v1
    Just wanted to sign up and first off say thanks to those who at least watched the video. A bigger thanks to those who might have submitted a response. I also want to say hello, nice site here. I am one of the admins on TheRealSOCOM.com, so perhaps you have seen me in that realm.

Anyway, I know a lot of people say "SOCOM is dead... let it go" and I understand. However, this is really just a simple yet potentially successful way of letting each voice be heard. At TRS we are going to try and leverage anything we have at our disposal to do that for you. How? Utilize our preexisting PlayStation Home contract, contacting our various insider connections and consulting with insiders as to what "plans" have more probability in terms of being successful. In the end this just happens to be the favorite franchise of many and just one of many franchises ultimately plagued in this generation of console. If you were ever at one point a SOCOM fan... I just ask if you can find it in you to join us on this project.

Thanks and great site guys.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by faaeng View Post
    Dead........

Sony to many (imo most) people feel Socom Died with 3 trying to make the game like Battlefield. Large maps, vehicles etc. It didn't work.

Socom:CA. Lets face it. It was an expansion pack sold at full retail. You played with the S3 players in the same servers, same rooms, same maps. It's only saving grace was online coop.

I know alot of people may hate me for sayin this, but then for the PS3 Sony passed up on Socom and thew all their resources behind another game. A sequel to a game that was imho mediocre at best, in search of the notorious "Halo Killer". Not realizing to many that's what Socom already was. The sequel, KZ2 turned of to be a great game.

Confrontation had potential. Most of the mechanics were there, but it was still lacking. Big title, Rookie dev, under budgeted, time restraints to coincide with the new headset... Sounds like a recipe for disaster from the get go right?. /6 did what they could with what they had. Game was HORRIBLE for the longest time, but /6 put in the work and turned it into a decent game. It had it fare share of issues, but it still looked like Socom, played like Socom and felt like Socom It was fun until the cheaters came. Sounds like every socom huh? lol

Now they're looking for that COD Killer so they tried making Socom like COD and now it doesn't look like Socom, play like Socom or really resemble any game in the franchise at all to be honest.

Socom as we knew and loved it is gone. I just cant keep lying to myself. Me and my clan are currently looking /hoping that Capcom and /6 can fill the void in our hearts with Operation Raccoon City. Its looks kind of Socomish. 6v6 STARS (Seals) vs Umbrella (Terrorists)all while Zombies are trying to kill both sides. I'm drooling. Cant wait for March 20th.
    +rep....as for Raccoon city, even the weapons have recoil from the gameplay clips i've watched. a gun without a scope has a round crosshair whiled scoped weapns have the traditional chrosshair that widens and kicks up due to recoil. i just hope they have a pulled back camera (ala classic socom), i rather play like that than over the shoulder. i dont mind there cover system, the implementation looks better than what zipper did with socom4.

edit: gotta spread rep....

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    FonFahbre
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Dead........

Studios will always try to follow what's really popular right now. When Grand Theft Auto became huge, other studios took notice and made their own open world games of their own. Then you had the plague of World War 2 games and now you have games that want to be like Call of Duty. But despite their efforts in trying to cash in the money flow from the big boys, they can never duplicate their success and ultimately fail in the end. Socom needed to be Socom to be a game just like Killzone needed to be Killzone. They shouldn't aim for a Halo/Call of Duty killer, they should aim for their own unique experience.

Soldier 95B
    SOCOM 4 was the best of them all IMO, and I am SOCOM core.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    just thinking about seal team 6 and how the seal team operates, i immediately think about missions from socom 2 when you had to sneak in and out without being detected (extraction).
    Like the missions with 45 in SOCOM 4. All stealth without being detected. God I love her ass!

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    SOCOM 4 was the best of them all IMO, and I am SOCOM core.

Like the missions with 45 in SOCOM 4. All stealth without being detected. God I love her ass!
    lol well if thats your thing. in previous socom titles, you played almost every single mission like that. like i stated, you could play it stealthily but at the same time your cover can be blown and the mission gets harder because the enemy now knows your position. in Socom 4, once 45 is spotted, thats game over! what kind of $#@! is that? previous socom titles had a lure to them that ppl loved, the controls might have been archaic but it worked! no need for every thing to have its own button. certain things need to be equipped before use. guns being balanced and something called primary weapons and not 2 secondary guns! who does that? anyways this has been said over and over again, some enjoyed socom 4 but the majority didnt. so now is the time to give those ppl what they want and lets see how it fairs against all these other wannabe games that are out now

Soldier 95B
    I am those people though I love that they put a little more action into it, while at the same time, they got splinter cell on you and forced you to do entirely stealth through some missions. We need to change things up once in awhile. They can't please everyone. some will say..it's rinse and repeat...if they keep the formula the same, then others will say bring back the old way if they change it up.

I like the combination of the stealth, the action, the co-op missions, the maps as well as the story line. I lived for the SOCOMs back in the days, but this one raised the bar (minus the early bugs and glitches). I am not so sure the majority didn't. Maybe here? But on the official forums, we liked it very much (with exceptions of course).

Edit: BTW, in some missions 45 could be spotted, but it got hard as $#@!.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    Items User name style
    liked it very much and yet confrontation a very buggy game at release still has more players online than a game that is still being supported? like you said, they tried something new, nothing wrong with that. all i (and plenty of other) am asking for now is to give us old school socom players what we want! if they actually believed in what they where doing in the first place, they wouldnt have tried to cater to the old school hardcore players lol. thats why they went back to the drawing board to add some of those features but it was already too late. once again some games dont need to evolve to be good, some games need to stay the same. all is needed is some tweaks for next gen but zipper failed to see that. its like valve making a new counter strike after CO and deciding to go the call of duty route lol...

they already had there crack with socom 2 but then they decided to dilute it with bigger maps and vehicle (ala battlefield came into the scene and zipper tried to copy)...then next gen came around and they decided to copy the next best thing which was call of duty. i said this earlier, socom got its inspiration from counter strike. go watch some CS gameplay and tell me if that is not socom with the camera pulled back, and thats one of the reason the game took off when socom 1 first came out. i must admit i really didnt play 1 online that much until socom2 came out.

socom 2 = pure crack/CS clone
    socom 3/CA = diluted crack/BF clone
    socom conf = still socom but borrowed from rainbow six vegas and GRAW
    socom 4 = should never have happened/ call of mag
    Last edited by YoungMullah88; 02-11-2012 at 00:04.

Soldier 95B
    liked it very much and yet confrontation a very buggy game at release still has more players online than a game that is still being supported? like you said, they tried something new, nothing wrong with that. all i (and plenty of other) am asking for now is to give us old school socom players what we want! if they actually believed in what they where doing in the first place, they wouldnt have tried to cater to the old school hardcore players lol. thats why they went back to the drawing board to add some of those features but it was already too late. once again some games dont need to evolve to be good, some games need to stay the same. all is needed is some tweaks for next gen but zipper failed to see that. its like valve making a new counter strike after CO and deciding to go the call of duty route lol...

they already had there crack with socom 2 but then they decided to dilute it with bigger maps and vehicle (ala battlefield came into the scene and zipper tried to copy)...then next gen came around and they decided to copy the next best thing which was call of duty. i said this earlier, socom got its inspiration from counter strike. go watch some CS gameplay and tell me if that is not socom with the camera pulled back, and thats one of the reason the game took off when socom 1 first came out. i must admit i really didnt play 1 online that much until socom2 came out.

socom 2 = pure crack/CS clone
    socom 3/CA = diluted crack/BF clone
    socom conf = still socom but borrowed from rainbow six vegas and GRAW
    We and others will have to agree to disagree with you on this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Forum Overseer

They need to bring the community back. I can get used to new game mechanics but without community, I won't play an online game.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    GreatnessRD
    Items User name style
    If Socom 2 can bring me back to the glory I felt with Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, then I'm game. I think it can because I saw potential with Confrontation despite its terrible flaws. I don't even acknowledge Socom 4 as a video game. That was just pure garbage thrown together to let casuals prance around like jackasses. You can keep all that. Hopefully its true that they're bringing back at least the port of S2 if not a full remaster.

$Greatness$ Awaits™

Apprentice
    Dead........
    The Intent is more to say what SOCOM meant to you when SOCOM was in it's prime (SOCOM 1 / SOCOM 2).

The point is to reach out to Sony. This isn't the first and won't be the last that we try and show Sony that the formula that works for SOCOM lies in it's initial roots.

We've pushed the SOCOM 2 HD Blogshare Poll to the top 10..

and now we've started to do the same with the SOCOM 1 HD Blogshare poll:

What we intend to do is get the community more involved and come at them from every angle possible. This time it's from an emotional standpoint. It's different when you see the faces of your fans on camera rather than on a message board or forum.

Keep sending in your videos guys, it literally takes a minute to record and get the file on your computer.
    Last edited by mastawiz; 02-11-2012 at 11:01.

Veteran
    I wouldn't go that far. They wanted to try something new, and see how it would go.

It never should've been called "Socom 4: US Navy Seals" tho. Shouldn't have even been called Socom at all. It Should've been an entirely new ip.

Honestly? They would've gotten alot less flac from the fanbase if they would've not put Socom in the title, but they kept the name to boost sales by suckering those fiending for some Socrack.

I still cant believe they charged everyone for a Demo DLC.
    Demo.... One of, if not THE most played game type in EVERY SINGLE SOCOM.....
    Sold as DLC to milk some cash.

Oh, but they gave it away free to those who DIDNT support the game at launch by later including a code.... Why was it not in the game to begin with and why did the people that actually supported them since launch given the shaft o_O?
    Last edited by faaeng; 02-11-2012 at 12:15.
    PCs are very much like Air Conditioners.
    They both become utterly useless once you start to open up Windows....
    ----------------------------------------------

Apprentice
    I wouldn't go that far. They wanted to try something new, and see how it would go.

It never should've been called "Socom 4: US Navy Seals" tho. Shouldn't have even been called Socom at all. It Should've been an entirely new ip.

Honestly? They would've gotten alot less flac from the fanbase if they would've not put Socom in the title, but they kept the name to boost sales by suckering those fiending for some Socrack.

Oh, but they gave it away free to those who DIDNT support the game at launch by later including a code.... Why was it not in the game to begin with and why did the people that actually supported them since launch given the shaft o_O?

I never would have EVER dreamed SOCOM would include Demo as downloadable content.

It's an ORIGINAL GAME MODE, how do you do something like that to your fan base?

How do you completely crush your fan base in order to lure in casuals? How do you make respawn more important than round based gameplay in SOCOM? The list goes on..

I stood in front of Seth Luisi at the SOCOM 4: Community Day Event and watched a follow SOCOMer shake his hand and beg him to put Demolition into SOCOM 4, that's hilariously beyond words.

Dedicated Member

I really think it's a shame how they ruined the franchise in many ways. I have every SOCOM game sitting right here in front of me on the shelf and I loved S1, S2 and C/A as well. I loved the little changes they added and the inclusion of some vehicles was cool too. Socom 4 while not a horrible game, I agree should have been a Socom spinoff of some sort and not have been considered a straight sequel in the series as it's just too different, or is it too familiar? Sharpshooter anyone?! No, the true fans require no gun peripherals, only a fully charged Dualshock, a nice headset, their trusty clan mates and a couple hundred uninterrupted hours. That was the game that introduced me to Online for the first time! I remember standing there on the screen and having another soldier standing there looking towards me and I heard the voice on the mic in a southern accent, "Hey, Tom. You gonna just stand there or do somethin'?" and I was amazed I was talking to another live player, and from there, I was on everyday right after work and on the weekends especially! and so on for every new game that came out. Now, I've since switched to the battlefield series. Until they remake the old classics that is! I'm in!

23. Likes Omar likes this post
    Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by TOM2x View Post
    I really think it's a shame how they ruined the franchise in many ways. I have every SOCOM game sitting right here in front of me on the shelf and I loved S1, S2 and C/A as well. I loved the little changes they added and the inclusion of some vehicles was cool too. Socom 4 while not a horrible game, I agree should have been a Socom spinoff of some sort and not have been considered a straight sequel in the series as it's just too different, or is it too familiar? Sharpshooter anyone?! No, the true fans require no gun peripherals, only a fully charged Dualshock, a nice headset, their trusty clan mates and a couple hundred uninterrupted hours. That was the game that introduced me to Online for the first time! I remember standing there on the screen and having another soldier standing there looking towards me and I heard the voice on the mic in a southern accent, "Hey, Tom. You gonna just stand there or do somethin'?" and I was amazed I was talking to another live player, and from there, I was on everyday right after work and on the weekends especially! and so on for every new game that came out. Now, I've since switched to the battlefield series. Until they remake the old classics that is! I'm in!
    Don't forget lobbies, remember those things? Ya, Sony seemed to have forgotten ( or never realized ) that lobbies really bonded the community.

And yea, i'll never forget playing Rat's Nest in my first SOCOM 1 game ever. I played with a guy named ArmyJoe ALL night long, he was CRAZY....

I never spoke to him ever again.

25. Likes Omar likes this post
    PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    Items User name style

thats why i told soldier, that the game was never meant for us socom hardcore fans. nothing about the game said that but everything else showed they wanted to draw in new fans and alienate there base. the double primary, modes that where basically the same (no old game modes), no recoil at all to the weapons, open mic, no lobbies, unlocking weapons and attachments, strafing nearly eliminated, added aim assist (R1), no classic camera view. and then did you see the trouble they had trying to please the hardcore base after the beta uproar lol?

to me what made socom fun was the hardcoreness (lol) of it. no need to unlock guns, everything is already there for you, all you have to do is use something you're comfortable with and start practicing your footwork...also the introduction of grenade notification? wtf, when a grenade was thrown, there was no indication of it on the map. if it landed by you, it'll make a sound or you will hear it. bodies not disappearing after being killed, you used that as a warning that an enemy may be close (or as a trap with a PMN mine). for me i used gun sounds to plan how aggressive ill be in a game. if someone had an M14 or a D.E out, ill think twice before running out there but if i heard a weaker gun, ill play them more aggressively. the trill of winning a one v one battle and knowing that your whole team was watching! theres nothing more exhilarating than that.

anybody can go from playing socom to any other shooter out there and be good at it, but not many can transition from other shooters and be good at socom. they always play for a week and start complaining about how hard it is or how the controls are awkward. there are so many aspects to that game, it is simple to the eyes but once you get deeper into the MP matches, the more addicted you became because of what the game offered

Dedicated Member

I miss the old days of talking smack to other clans in the lobbies! And then going in there and showing them why! I also miss the days of when you were playing a big clan match and you were the last man standing with 2 or 3 enemies still alive, stalking you. And all you had were people sending the messages on the screen! There were no people to talk to, because they were dead! and in the back of your mind...you knew all eyes were on you, and if you screwed up, you'd hear about it after the match from your team and clan leader!! SOmetimes you'd get booted from the clan for a big loss! AHHH, good times!!

Thread Information