Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by WarMachine043 View Post
    Oh, and by the way, played it with/without Kinect...... Much better WITHOUT Kinect
    I can't go back to playing it without Kinect, I loved it that much.

BTW, your damage shows on the bottom of the screen on the health arc bar.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post

Yea, but the bloodstained HUD seems to be delayed sometimes. They need to fix that

Superior Member

And plus, I feel like a moron shouting at my TV

Soldier 95B
    Yea, but the bloodstained HUD seems to be delayed sometimes. They need to fix that
    I think they intended the screen to bleed when you were almost down and out.

And plus, I feel like a moron shouting at my TV
    I never have to yell. I just say Garrus, grenade at a normal voice for example. Or I just say grenade, and Shep will toss it where I am pointing. Move commands, switch weapons, on me, etc. I love that I am not doing menu access any longer.

If you have to yell or shout, you are doing it wrong
    Last edited by Soldier 95B; 02-15-2012 at 22:31.

Dedicated Member
    I started playing the demo on my computer (but I hate not using a controller), I only played the cutscene and a bit of the combat part. Surprisingly it looked awesome on my computer and ran pretty smooth most of the time. I decided not to play the whole thing though, I'm going to wait until it comes out so I can play it on my PS3 at home. I don't want to spoil the experience too much. Also I hate using keyboard and mouse, and for some reason the Mass Effect games are like the only freaking pc games that don't support controllers (that I care about).

So I haven't really played it much, but I'm happy with what I saw so far. The reapers are epic, that part where the Earth Council was all like "Oh Shepard, what do we do!?!?!" and Shepard basically said "You're $#@!ed" and then a reaper just blows the $#@! out of the whole room. Good stuff. God I can't wait to see what the Council at the Citadel has to say now.

Super Elite
    What do you mean by "controllers I care about?" The old nonsense gamepads of last generation are utterly terrible.
    私は日本語がわかります。図書館で読みます。ビール飲みます。

Elite Member
    I do have another gripe about the game.

In the heat of battle when the enemy throws a grenade, it's so hard to tell where it is. I would be in cover and think it's right next to me only to move back and INTO it.

Dling the ps3 version now.
    I talk to myself because I'm the only one whose answers I accept.

Super Elite
    I played it for 3 seconds literally before quiting in disgust... it wasn't the gameplay but the starting sequence that got to me. Brought back all the bad parts I remembered of ME2. That and I couldn't make my shepard the way I wanted

Also the very fact they included an option to COMPLETELY remove any and all reasons to call it an RPG in my mind is proof they wanted a shooter first, it was a fear I had since ME2

Edit: I'll load it up and play it again for a better feeling but sadly I can't shake off my dislike already so my experience may remain bad
    if I am in the PS3 or 360 section I will NOT post about the competitor just to please people, if you want to know what I think about the competitor link me to a thread in the appropriate section

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by Minnzy View Post
    I played it for 3 seconds literally before quiting in disgust... it wasn't the gameplay but the starting sequence that got to me. Brought back all the bad parts I remembered of ME2. That and I couldn't make my shepard the way I wanted

Also the very fact they included an option to COMPLETELY remove any and all reasons to call it an RPG in my mind is proof they wanted a shooter first, it was a fear I had since ME2

Edit: I'll load it up and play it again for a better feeling but sadly I can't shake off my dislike already so my experience may remain bad
    So the option of having all rpg, some rpg and no rpg is a bad thing?

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

Super Elite
    So the option of having all rpg, some rpg and no rpg is a bad thing?

Those options don't change much if anything:

And the game is still just a shooter loosely laced with very light RPG elements. This game simply cannot be called an RPG.
    Last edited by Inzane2050; 02-16-2012 at 00:01.

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by Inzane2050 View Post
    Those options don't change much if anything:

And the game is still just a shooter loosely laced with very light RPG elements. This game simply cannot be called an RPG.
    Actually, it does change most, if everything. The game plays exactly like ME2 when you choose Role Playing. Same RPG element and story dictation, dialog trees and different outcomes as ME2. If you choose Action, it's the same story for everyone that plays, no dialog interaction and no ability to change story direction.

The game is indeed an RPG with a bunch of shooting elements as well. It's not Skyrim/Morrowind/Oblivion RPG, but it certainly is more RPG than say, Fable. It's an excellent hybrid, which is why the game does so well.

Super Elite
    So the option of having some loose rpg elements and no rpg is a bad thing?

Would you call Gears of war an RPG because Fenix gets a little number that increases slower during the game?

ME2 showed that combat is the way the game was heading, shooter fans embraced ME2 more so then ME1 because the RPG elements were stripped to all hell, more money was made by this change... why would they put effort into the RPG elements when all people want are larger explosions and simplified stories?

EDIT:
    I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite store on the Citadel!

if I am in the PS3 or 360 section I will NOT post about the competitor just to please people, if you want to know what I think about the competitor link me to a thread in the appropriate section

Super Elite
    Actually, it does change most, if everything. The game plays exactly like ME2 when you choose Role Playing. Same RPG element and story dictation, dialog trees and different outcomes as ME2. If you choose Action, it's the same story for everyone that plays, no dialog interaction and no ability to change story direction.

The game is indeed an RPG with a bunch of shooting elements as well. It's not Skyrim/Morrowind/Oblivion RPG, but it certainly is more RPG than say, Fable. It's an excellent hybrid, which is why the game does so well.
    You're doing it again, Soldier. Lol
    Last edited by Inzane2050; 02-16-2012 at 00:32.

14. Likes Nitey likes this post
    Soldier 95B
    why would they put effort into the RPG elements when all people want are larger explosions and simplified stories?
    They put effort into RPG elements because that is what the fans have liked the most about the game. That is why ME1 has done so well when it was released. The different character and story outcomes that are achieved through the dialog choices made with the different characters. Leveling up of different characters, as well as their respective weapons.

Here is a good description of Role Playing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Role-playing_game

There are different levels and iterations (variations of RPG).

You're doing it again, Soldier. Lol
    I know...darn me and telling the truth! How dare I! (nice edit removing your gif)
    Last edited by Soldier 95B; 02-16-2012 at 00:34.

16. Likes Nitey likes this post
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Helm_of_Darkness
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenix View Post
    Not sure how I feel right now;

Single Player: Pretty good, lot of improvements that I like. Love that you can map a third key now instead of it being assigned for you. Sadly didnt get as pumped as I thought I would, End of ME2 got me more pumped. Does anyone know wtf happened between ME2 and 3? At the start your not the commander of the Normandy
    From what people have told me, you have to play the Arrival DLC to understand what happened, unfortunately. I hate how developers put important details of the story into DLC.

Super Elite
    They put effort into RPG elements because that is what the fans have liked the most about the game. That is why ME1 has done so well when it was released. The different character and story outcomes that are achieved through the dialog choices made with the different characters. Leveling up of different characters, as well as their respective weapons.

Here is a good description of Role Playing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Role-playing_game

There are different levels and iterations (variations of RPG).

I know...darn me and telling the truth! How dare I! (nice edit removing your gif)
    Actually, Mass Effect has become a shooter, it's NOT an RPG. The rpg elements are a small sprinkle on what is, without any reasonable doubt a SHOOTER

However... I just ran through the demo properly and although the entire demo proved everything I have said about the focus on shooting and action I will concede the rpg elements (Leveling system) seems somewhat better when compared to ME2, still shooter focused but I am glad the leveling isn't as much of a joke. So, although still stripped and mildly pointless it's as I said, MILDLY pointless instead of worthless like ME2

Pro's
    -Still basic leveling system but anything is better then the crap ME2 dared call a level system, Edit: Actually to be fair it seems ok, shouldn't be so hard on it
    -Just seeing Wrex and Liara back was awesome, I knew they were in the demo but still... loved seeing them
    -Liked the grenade use of the enemy, had to actually move out of cover a few times

Con's
    -Ai was horrible but no different to most... all other games, grenade use doesn't make up for being an idiot
    -The opening and a few cutscenes annoyed me, I seriously got the feeling they tried to make an epic moment out of EVERY sentence shepard spoke "I'll take this potato chip... AND EAT IT"
    - I literally guessed EVERY encounter, it got so predictable I was counting "3, 2, 1 hey look enemies" but most shooters are like that
    - DIDN'T GET TO HAVE WREX IN MY PARTY! SILLY DEMO!
    - Sigh... wtf Ashley?
    -When I saw the kid run to the transport I immediately thought "Lol, that'll so get shot down to badly attempt to pull heartstrings... hey guess what happened?

I was bound to go into this demo with a negative view, Personally I blame Dragon Age 2 but ME2 did set me up for a pure combat driven game... hope the full release slaps me in the face and humbles me to all $#@! though
    Last edited by Minnzy; 02-16-2012 at 01:52.

Soldier 95B
    Actually, Mass Effect has become a shooter, it's NOT an RPG.
    I guess we will just agree to disagree.

Anyway, has anyone else given the Kinect controls a whirl?

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    InkedOne78
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Loved the demo, just started to really get into it then it ends. Can't wait for ME3 to come out!!

Elite Member
    Got the multiplayer last night and gave it a whirl. It's fun, but will have to see how much variety there is in the final product.

Got a level 13 female human sentinel if anyone wants to team up.

Superior Member
    I am not going to play DEMO cause I rather surprised myself when I cop ME3 and don't want to spoiler.

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkrain View Post
    I am not going to play DEMO cause I rather surprised myself when I cop ME3 and don't want to spoiler.
    I am sure it will be worth the wait.

TapaTit

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    - DIDN'T GET TO HAVE WREX IN MY PARTY! SILLY DEMO!

I killed him 4 years ago, Im pretty sure you cant have him. He's.....dead jim.

reaper of souls
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    oh my god just played the first 15 mins of the demo and it's so good I cannot wait for this game! No other game will beat it this year imo.

I'm $#@!ing in my pants as I type

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkrain View Post
    I didn't really find any spoilers in the demo. Though I did look at the expanded ME universe beynd the games so there was less to surprise me.

Elite Member
    Two things actually:

After playing the multiplayer and getting my hands on several weapons, I just don't like the changes they made to shotguns. They feel really weird.

And in multiplayer, I'm sad that you can't just buy things with your credits; but instead the recruit/veteran packs are random.

Ah... level 18 turian sentinel with level 1 avenger AR on Gold.

Thread Information