Latest PSU headlines:

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 ... LastLast
    Master Poster
    PSN ID
    Azrael666
    Items DoomPlayStationDiablo IIIBlizzardDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    Everybody knows that i want a PS4 asap but i'll say it again...
    If Sony doesn't show anything this year, MS could catch them with their pants down.
    Who knows maybe MS will launch their nextbox in 2013 which would put Sony under immense pressure.

2. Likes Tetsu wishes they had posted this first.
    PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Hmm, I can't wait to get a release date so the speculation can end. Who knows what's going on. MS and Sony have both gone on the record saying there wont be anything new this year from either. if I was in their shoes, I wouldn't be in any rush either. Both consoles are still selling nicely, there are games games and more games coming out and both companies have stated that they don't feel threatened at all by Wii U.
    Click HERE to create your mercenary and get exclusive in-game items.

THE GREY CARDINAL (eWar Merc) - COVERT SUBTERFUGE (Minmatar Scout)
    CEO of PSU GHOST SYNDICATE - PSU in-game channel: PSU GHOST

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    Azrael666
    Nintendo plays in it's own league, the WiiU is not a threat to Sony nor MS.
    I just think that MS is much further in development then they admit atm (due to Windows 8 development and it's support for ARM).
    Ofcourse this is all speculation and we just don't know how far Sony is, i'd just want to hear something about it, anything.

The way Sony is handling the VITA launch also leads me to believe that they still haven't adapted to the stiff competition in todays console market.

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast of Bourbon View Post
    The way Sony is handling the VITA launch also leads me to believe that they still haven't adapted to the stiff competition in todays console market.
    In what regard? Content? tech? pricing?

Veteran
    There is the official PS4 sticky.

http://www.psu.com/forums/showthread...ation-4-Thread

It was started in 2008. It's kind of interesting to go through that sticky. Most people moved on. Some on there were insisting the PS4 had to come out in 2010 and one fellow predicting the next xbox was overdue in 2008. My, how so much has changed in 4 years. Wait, nothing has changed.
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    Azrael666
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    In what regard? Content? tech? pricing?
    It just feels like SONY still thinks they can sell everything as long as they put their name on it.
    There are different ways to get people to buy your console.
    1. it is cheaper then the competition
    2. it has better specs then the competition
    3. it has better games then the competition
    4. it has more media presence

This are just 4 examples and only 1 requires you to do nothing more then putting it on the shelf with a pricetag next to it.
    The VITA has better specs then the 3DS and has (imo) better games but SONY needs to tell and show it to it's potential customers!

When i buy a Ferrari i know why it's more expensive then a FIAT, because it 1000x better.
    People need to know why they are supposed to pay more for a VITA then for a 3DS.
    The price itself is not a problem, i see kids with IPhones every morning when i take the bus to work so it's not like people aren't spending alot of cash if their kids keep harassing them
    Last edited by Beast of Bourbon; 02-13-2012 at 15:48.

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    That's fair enough. Well Sony are about to launch a $50 million ad campaign for Vita, so hopefully that spreads the message abit.

Superior Member

I still think the PS3 has a lot of life in it. Games continue to get better...especially from 3rd parties. Sony really really needs a long console cycle to ring any amount of profit they can from this department to help prop up their other divisions. I can't see Sony letting Microsoft getting more than a few months head start though on them next gen. Certainly not a year. For this reason I think Sony will bring out a new console but nothing too different from the PS3. I think it would make a lot of sense to keep a lot of the same architecture between the two so developers can port games from the PS4 down to the PS3 to maintain multiple revenue streams. It has been said by multiple people that porting PS3 games for the Vita is possible so realizing that they themselves and also 3rd party developers would greatly benefit from making portability of titles a big plus. I am sure they are going to pack a lot of technology into the box and certainly it will cost easily $500 but I think the best thing they could do was to go this route. Would it possibly mean the PS4 is less powerful than the next Xbox...maybe but a minor power difference hasn't stopped people from continuing to buy PS2s when xbox was released nor have we seen any console this gen get ahead or behind because of power. I really think if they use synergies from the PS3, Vita, and next console they would benefit greater from developer support and consumer buy-in.

That said Sony seems to always release some crazy high tech device that does nothing but confuse developers and slow developers so they probably will have a bad ass rig and I will probably love it...but for their financial stability and success I would think they probably should take a safer approach...no matter what I think unless Microsoft's next console starts blowing up and causing fires they will never shake Microsoft and enjoy the successful domination that was PS2. Microsoft has a good following and is only getting stronger. I just don't see how Sony can release another console with huge losses when the PS3 is barely profitable. Certainly having strong support for both and having a console at $500 and another one at $200 with the same games but with the newer with greater graphics and more features would hopefully allow them to build two revenue streams. The big thing I could see wrong with this is if the next console's graphics couldn't greatly outdo the PS3 and then you would have people wondering why buy it.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    RaYU84
    Items Dr. DreDragon Ball Z3DSPS3 SlimNintendo 64TOOLPink FloydAC/DCFuturamaMetallica
    Quote Originally Posted by Inzane2050 View Post
    The Wii has never been dying tho. There isn't any reason for thinking that.
    I loved the Wii. It's the only console I had since launch until last month when I finally got a PS3. I know theres a crap load of back logged games that I can still get, although that's gonna happen with any system in any generation. But as far as new releases, there was virtually nothing the first half of last year, Skyward Sword, and Kirby. I'm not sure if there was a worthwhile 3rd party game at all. They're finally giving us Xenoblade Chronicles, which I'm looking forward to. Other than that, I think Nintendo themselves are ready for the Wii U.
    Thanks to THUGGEDOUT for the sig, The Black Wolf for the av.
    Life's too short to be sober! Drunk with power!

Dedicated Member

I think the handwriting is on the wall for this generation. Sales of all 3 consoles are down compared to last year. The market is becoming saturated, and the number of people buying new consoles is dropping like crazy.

To give you an idea how much it's fallen...

December 2010 + January 2011 NPD

Xbox 360 = 2,241,000
    Wii = 2,679,000
    PS3 = 1,477,000

Total = 6,379,000

December 2011 + January 2012 NPD

Xbox 360 = 1,9700,000
    Wii = 1,208,000
    PS3 = 1,128,000

Total = 4,306,000

That's a drop of 2,073,000 consoles sold vs. last year. This 30% drop in sales despite both the Wii and PS3 having price drops since last year.

This generation is done.

12. Dislikes The Hound is confounded by the utter nonsense of this most disagreeable post
    Super Elite
    Wow! The Wii, even after peaking out due to massive market saturation, is selling on-par with the competition. The Wii is doing the impossible, lol. But yeah, it looks like hardware sales are done, but home console sales were never about making profit; it's the software they are after. So why reset and lose all of that money you are making from software sales?
    私は日本語がわかります。図書館で読みます。ビール飲みます。

Dedicated Member

Wow! The Wii, even after peaking out due to massive market saturation, is selling on-par with the competition. The Wii is doing the impossible, lol. But yeah, it looks like hardware sales are done, but home console sales were never about making profit; it's the software they are after. So why reset and lose all of that money you are making from software sales?
    Ask Atari what happened when they tried to drag out the 2600 for 8 years. Nintendo came out with new hardware and Atari was never able to be competitive in the market again.

The reason you make a new console is because if you don't, someone else will, and if they capture the majority of the next-gen market then both your hardware and software sales for next-gen are already lost.

You've got to look at 5, 10, and 20 year goals. If you're Sony and MS is putting out a new console at the end of this year, the worst thing you could do would be to sit on the PS3 and let MS gain dominance in the next-gen market before you release the PS4. Every year that MS has a next-gen console out that you don't is 10+ million lost customers for you, and those customers would be buying software as well as hardware.

Being first to market isn't an automatic success, but being significantly late to market is a really good way to fail. You can't compete if you let the other guy win before you even start.

Superior Member

More than 1/2 of the lost sales is from the Wii. I agree the xbox is running out of life as far as console sales but Sony still has a lot of room in NA to grow. People often own more than 1 console and PS3 while may be their second it still could cut into sales next year. I agree you have to be working on a new console and I am sure both are very far along in the terms of deciding on specs but really has the next gen technology jumped enough to see a leap for people to buy new consoles over what we have now??? I'm not sure of that and I think both companies are trying to wait as long as possible. Proof is the new WiiHD....is it that much of a trump technology wise to leave PS3 and 360 tech and games obsolete??? No..this isn't like the leap from last gen...ps2 to ps3 is a huge leap...what benefit will the gamers see from ps3 to ps4 if we see new tech next year...marginal if you ask me...both companies need to wait another couple years for some the next gen cycle of video and processors to really show a leap from current gen IMO.

Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by Completely Average View Post
    Ask Atari what happened when they tried to drag out the 2600 for 8 years. Nintendo came out with new hardware and Atari was never able to be competitive in the market again.

The reason you make a new console is because if you don't, someone else will, and if they capture the majority of the next-gen market then both your hardware and software sales for next-gen are already lost.

You've got to look at 5, 10, and 20 year goals. If you're Sony and MS is putting out a new console at the end of this year, the worst thing you could do would be to sit on the PS3 and let MS gain dominance in the next-gen market before you release the PS4. Every year that MS has a next-gen console out that you don't is 10+ million lost customers for you, and those customers would be buying software as well as hardware.

Being first to market isn't an automatic success, but being significantly late to market is a really good way to fail. You can't compete if you let the other guy win before you even start.
    The problem lies in making sure you don't get left behind by your competitor. But if Sony and Microsoft choose to drag out this generation together for a few more years, it will be of little consequence.

Also, Atari was struggling long before Nintendo came as were all of the other competitors. Nintendo revitalized and saved the gaming industry.
    Last edited by Inzane2050; 02-14-2012 at 20:38.

Soldier 95B
    Xbox 360 sales in 2011 exceeded 2010 and it was their record year.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Any speculation or rumours regarding what will be running the PS4, is it cell again, or something else?
    I havent heard anything, which is at odds with what we have heard from the others, weve at least heard rumours regaridng Wii U/ Xbox 720 stuff.
    2play:Red Dead, GTA 4,Batman AA,Batman AC,Borderlands 2,Enslaved,Sleeping Dogs,Reckoning,DarkSiders,DarkSiders 2,Dark Souls,Dead Space 2,MGS 3,MGS:PW, XCOM:EU,Hitman Absolution,Biosuck Infinite,Assassins Creed 3,Deus Ex,Castlevania, Halo Wars,Civilization,Forza Horizon,Black Ops,Black Ops 2,MW3,LA Noire,Crackdown,Dead Rising 2,Fallout 3, Fallout:NV,RE 4, Bully

Soldier 95B
    I assume the PS6 will have a double cell!

Dedicated Member

The problem lies in making sure you don't get left behind by your competitor. But if Sony and Microsoft choose to drag out this generation together for a few more years, it will be of little consequence.
    That's sort of like saying if no one in the automotive industry makes a new model car then Ford wouldn't have to change theirs.

Why would MS choose to just drag out this generation when they can get a jump on Sony and secure next generation while still supporting this one.

Sales of the PS2 didn't stop when the PS3 was released, did it?

Fact is, at the rate console and game sales are dropping, it will be very hard for anyone to make a profit come next year. A 30+% drop in sales across the entire industry in a single year is a very strong indication that the market is saturated and there simply aren't many new customers left.

Also, Atari was struggling long before Nintendo came as were all of the other competitors. Nintendo revitalized and saved the gaming industry.
    Atari was struggling because they tried to drag out the same hardware for over 8 years, and found that once the game development stagnated into a bunch of generic shovelware nobody wanted any more games.

The same thing is starting to happen now. Everything good being made is just a sequel to an existing game, without much improvement over the last version. And this is true for all consoles. There isn't anything truely new, creative, and amazing anymore. Even the best graphics aren't showing much if any improvement over games that were out years ago.

If all this generation has left to offer is sequels with minor changes then be done with it and move on to something new. You can't keep selling the same old game with a new coat of paint forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    Xbox 360 sales in 2011 exceeded 2010 and it was their record year.

"For the year" being the key part of that phrase.

In 2012, their sales are 15% below last year, and MS is doing the best of the three.
    Last edited by Completely Average; 02-14-2012 at 22:34.

Super Elite
    The auto industry is not comparable to the video game industry at all tho. And actually Atari and the others were failing bcuz the market was overpopulated with several competitors. To add tho, I believe Atari was indeed had more than one generation of hardware within this eight year period you are talking about; the problem tho, Atari couldn't sell its new hardware people saw no incentive to.
    Last edited by Inzane2050; 02-14-2012 at 23:09.

Dedicated Member
    Items PlayStation
    I think at most we'll get a short teaser to indicate ps4's existence.
    PSN ID - DweetRight

Superior Member

I think Sony especially is in no hurry to release a new console. They are barely profitable on this one and the economy is terrible. On top of that what market is really out there for a marginally better console? I am not a techie but seriously...is there hardware out there that would wow people and be relevent for another 6-7 years given the breakthroughs in the tech world coming in the next few years...I think Sony and perhaps Microsoft is holding out for some of these advanced chips to be realized and then for them to reduce in price for mass production to keep the consoles at a reasonable cost. Others around here could probably answer that but I don't see why Sony and Microsoft would be in a hurry to release console specs if they can't achieve what they have in mind for the next gen of gaming. Each company is going to have goals and benchmarks set and features and abilities that they want for their console to be able to perform to make them future-proof or be able to run the type of programs and gaming they desire. I just don't think those processors are out there right now or at least affordable...neither is going to release a console at $600 imo. Without the chips and processors affordable and available to meet these benchmarks and desires I think Sony and Microsoft both realize that the next gen consoles would not offer a big enough difference for consumers to make the jump to purchase them over what they have now. We have HD and 3D gaming right now...movie streaming and somewhat social support right now. I just don't see a huge leap in console gaming and graphics with what is out there right now. I am sure some people on here will let us know what processors and cards would allow Sony and Microsoft to make that leap in quality and gaming features (such as limited VR or other features) but I think that is all that is holding them back. Until they have the power they need to make a big leap they will milk profits from this gen.

The PS4 and next Xbox can't come soon enough as far as I'm concerned. The average cycle has been 5 years since way back when and we're well past that now. The current hardware is dated and holding the devs back. Sub-HD, screen tearing, 30fps, poor AI etc is commonplace in the best looking games. It's time to move on.

Master Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Completely Average View Post
    I think the handwriting is on the wall for this generation. Sales of all 3 consoles are down compared to last year. The market is becoming saturated, and the number of people buying new consoles is dropping like crazy.

To give you an idea how much it's fallen...

December 2010 + January 2011 NPD

Xbox 360 = 2,241,000
    Wii = 2,679,000
    PS3 = 1,477,000

Total = 6,379,000

December 2011 + January 2012 NPD

Xbox 360 = 1,9700,000
    Wii = 1,208,000
    PS3 = 1,128,000

Total = 4,306,000

That's a drop of 2,073,000 consoles sold vs. last year. This 30% drop in sales despite both the Wii and PS3 having price drops since last year.

This generation is done.
    looking at those numbers, i would be more inclined to say that the Wii is done.

1.4 million of that 2.07 million you worked out is the drop from the Wii and Wii only.

The 360 and PS3 have only dropped by a few hundred thousand units. Nothing to stop a generation....

however, i do want a new console. im bored of this gen now. GTA V is the only game im looking forward to.
    Wii # 8752-0092-2306-9612
    PSN ID : pez555

Veteran
    Actually, if you look at NPD's hardware sales chart, they tell a different story than consoles just past their peak.

Hardware sales in PC's, TV's and video game hardware were all down in 2011 from 2010. Mobile phone sales were slightly up. But look what was up 100%: tablets and e-readers.

Tablets are taking market percentages away from the more traditional hardware. The common trait with PC's, TV's, and video game hardware is they are all locked to the home, they are not mobile. To see how crazy the tablet market is becoming, one only needs to go to the airport and look around at the loading gate. There are tablets and/or e-readers everywhere. There are families with kids and every one of them has a tablet of some kind. There are even babies playing with their tablets. Apple is approaching 60 million iPads sold and while Android is starting to eat into their market share, the iPad is about 60% all tablets sold, the remaining 40% being divided among the other tablet manufacturers.

Considering how some are still balking at a couple hundred dollar console but not even blinking an eye at $500 tablets, there is a market shift going on. By next year, tablets are going to be incredibly powerful and the game graphics are almost even with home consoles. The market for "just a game console" is what is going away.
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

Superior Member

Agreed..PS2 did not have the competition of soo many electronic devices that we see right now. The IPAD is so popular (and other devices) and we have never seen the loss of disposable income to avg families like this before it is no surprise that we are seeing decreases on console sales. However, I don't necessarily think game consoles are going to go away...just they are already becoming vastly outdated and are in need of a new console in the next couple years anyways. Combine the WII, PS3, and 360 lifetime to date sales and I am sure one can see that this market is clearly just as big if not bigger than last gen. It is the natural downturn and I would bet most console sales are repeat or multiple console households at this point as opposed to people moving from ps2 and original xbox to this gen. I still think there is plenty of life in both consoles and in the market but people need a compelling reason to choose a console over an IPAD. Especially if they already own a console more than likely. No doubt the pad market is booming but this stuff all works in cycles and with the release of new consoles in a year or two and we will see that trend switch again. Remember that %change is because of the new android and IPAD 2 in a new emerging electronic. The consoles in comparision have been out for 6-7 years. This simply makes sense. I also don't think parents have balked at consoles..they simply already have them as opposed to the tablet which is a new concept and something they simply don't have. IMO.
    Last edited by davin_g; 02-16-2012 at 18:12.

Thread Information