Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 3
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    It hink we all need to clarify the difference between 'beating' and a simlpy 'smacking'.
    Be Together - Not the same.

Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by itachi73378 View Post
    EDIT: oh and I feel the need to mention that by beating I mean only to discipline not abuse. Those parents have something wrong withthem. They probably are troubled themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    It hink we all need to clarify the difference between 'beating' and a simlpy 'smacking'.
    That's the problem! To too many idiots think they're one in the same... I watched a doco discussing "physical discipline" and it showed mothers beating the living $#@! out of their kids, smashing them in the face and being more violent then the $#@!ing UFC... and that is what they portrayed ALL physical discipline as.
    if I am in the PS3 or 360 section I will NOT post about the competitor just to please people, if you want to know what I think about the competitor link me to a thread in the appropriate section

Apprentice
    Items Demons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBettaKnow View Post
    Don't talk bull$#@!.
    like:
    [...]you have to be cruel to be kind sometimes.
    ^this ?

Even if i could go back in time i would take the beatings all over again as they helped form me into the person I am today.
    Have fun in the time machine !

To say it's failure at parenting is $#@!ing stupid and ignorant.
    How so? Please expand if you can.

I've seen some comments regarding the people who don't see child beating/spanking as a civilised solution and I want to say something:
    When I was at a very young age I was beaten with a belt at home and sometimes with a wooden stick at school over my palms (because I didn't do my homework). Later the beatings stopped but the yelling took its place. I didn't realise how stressful that was, because I suppressed it and slowly lost my trust in my parents. I felt hate and depression. Much later that suppression burst out in utter rage.

I'm far from being a spoiled brat, I took my beatings and yelling as a kid and I strongly believe that beating, yelling and slapping children is the wrong way of discipline and a failure. I believe the relationship between a parent and child should be love and sacred trust. I love my parents but that sacred trust is long broken and I don't need it anymore because I'm on my own.

Super Elite
    But people will never understand that, sadly...
    私は日本語がわかります。図書館で読みます。ビール飲みます。

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I smack my kids needlessly all the time. Teaches them to be on their guard at all times.

Unbound Mercenary
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    I smack my kids needlessly all the time. Teaches them to be on their guard at all times.

Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

Elite Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Enthroll View Post
    like:

^this ?
    Yes. Have no never heard the phrase 'Tough Love'? It's not about always doing what your child wants, sometimes you have to be cruel (give the child a beating) to be kind (they may not appreciate getting smacked when they initially do, but they'll respect it for making them into a better person)

Have fun in the time machine !
    Don't be a moron.
    How so? Please expand if you can.

How so? What do you mean how so? How can you call physical discipline a failure at parenting? I think it's a failure at parenting BY NOT using said discipline methods.

As i said, as a child i was constantly beaten if i was out of line. If i did something that my mum didn't think was correct behavior of someone at my age she would tell me and if i did it again she'd beat me. This 'naughty step' bollocks didn't work in my house. You either do as your told or feel the consequence. As you can imagine after you felt the consequence you learn not to do what you did before.

I've seen some comments regarding the people who don't see child beating/spanking as a civilised solution and I want to say something:
    When I was at a very young age I was beaten with a belt at home and sometimes with a wooden stick at school over my palms (because I didn't do my homework). Later the beatings stopped but the yelling took its place. I didn't realise how stressful that was, because I suppressed it and slowly lost my trust in my parents. I felt hate and depression. Much later that suppression burst out in utter rage.

I'm far from being a spoiled brat, I took my beatings and yelling as a kid and I strongly believe that beating, yelling and slapping children is the wrong way of discipline and a failure. I believe the relationship between a parent and child should be love and sacred trust. I love my parents but that sacred trust is long broken and I don't need it anymore because I'm on my own.
    Not being funny, that sounds like a problem with you rather than the form of punishment.

Yes, the bond between parents and the children should be of love and trust. It should also be about respect. I'm not saying you need to beat your child in order to earn respect from them but nothing was achieved with just positive attitudes.

As i said previously, my mum, dad, grandmother, father and Aunt would all beat me if i got out of line as a child same with my siblings and all of my cousins, we were all physically disciplined but family members and never have i once ever felt any other emotions towards my family other than love, trust and respect.

It's unfortunate that you see them as a barbaric method but to say it makes children fear their parents is nothing short but full blown bull$#@!. Maybe if my beatings were equal to Mike Tyson coming in and bringing the house down on me i'd accept where you are coming from but that's not what my beatings where. They would be a few slaps across the backside and that would be that.

I feel sorry for you that a few beatings can make you loose any form of trust from your parents.
    I'll raise my children with the same love and affection i was raised with but i will also raise them with the same discipline i endured.

It's all about the background your from i guess and Black/Caribbean parents are known for their strict, no $#@! taking, parenting methods compared to other nationalities/races. You do good things, you'll get positive praise. You $#@! about and get out of line then your getting smacked. Those were the rules in my house, 1 warning then there is action.

If you don't agree with hitting your children, fine, don't do it, who am i to judge. Though to go out and say that it's a failure at parenting is a joke. Though i'd love to hear why you think it's a bad way to parent your children.
    Last edited by BBK..; 02-15-2012 at 15:31.

8. Likes The Black Wolf likes this post
    Forum Sage
    I see your Russell Peters, and raise you Louis C.K.

To be honest, it reaks of laziness and frustration to physically punish (at least overtly) children especially at a young age.

You're more taking your frustration out on them rather than trying to correct behaviour at its root.

However, to all parents out there, you should raise your children as you see fit, providing it isn't inappropriate or abusive.

10. Likes Enthroll likes this post
    Apprentice
    Items Demons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    Please don't feel sorry for me. lol. I have a great life and I'm happy I came to realise some things and I know I will keep learning from life.

If you really can't see another way of raising children than it means we're totally different. I get that. Because I think parents should earn the respect of the children not enforce it nor teach it. Respect is earned in life.

K now, I'm on my way to play Reckoning

ps: I love George Carlin's comedy !

Super Elite
    "Parents should earn their children's respect, not enforce or teach it"?... hrmmm.....
    Last edited by Inzane2050; 02-15-2012 at 19:05.

Elite Sage

Please don't feel sorry for me. lol. I have a great life and I'm happy I came to realise some things and I know I will keep learning from life.

If you really can't see another way of raising children than it means we're totally different. I get that. Because I think parents should earn the respect of the children not enforce it nor teach it. Respect is earned in life.

K now, I'm on my way to play Reckoning

ps: I love George Carlin's comedy !
    I'm sure you do have a great life, if it came across that i meant otherwise i apologize, i'm not trying to say you've missed out on life or anything like that.

It's not that i can't see any other ways to raise children it's that i will raise my children the way i was raised because i know first hand that no bad comes from it. I disagree that parents should earn the respect from their children though, I disagree with that alot. That type of thinking is what gets parents in the situation of kids swearing at them and others and generally not respecting their elders.

Hey-ho, each to their own i guess.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    "Just in case".

Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post

Carlin, nice card.
    Be Together - Not the same.

Super Elite
    Shoot at them too, it'll help develop their reflexes!
    if I am in the PS3 or 360 section I will NOT post about the competitor just to please people, if you want to know what I think about the competitor link me to a thread in the appropriate section

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    wesmore24
    Items EA LogoBattlefield 3Bruce LeeUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Minnzy View Post
    Shoot at them too, it'll help develop their reflexes!
    which they wont need after they are defenseless in a wheel chair.

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    I feel sorry for the people who think this is ok..your asses must be permanently red from your traumatic childhoods.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Veteran
    Items Google ChromeFacebook LogoIntel Core i7Microsoft LogoNvidia
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-The-Rave View Post
    I feel sorry for the people who think this is ok..your asses must be permanently red from your traumatic childhoods.
    i probably wont spank my child but i was as a kid and i turned out fine.

Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-The-Rave View Post
    Actually I would assume many people who support a parents right to raise their child properly weren't smacked at all. I have only received the firm hand twice in my youth and although one of them wasn't warranted the other sure as hell was

Super Elite
    Spanking your kid won't cause them to turn out all weird like people are saying. It is just a spanking, people.

Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by Inzane2050 View Post
    Spanking your kid won't cause them to turn out all weird like people are saying. It is just a spanking, people.
    But ALL spanking involves baseball bats, blood-crazed violence and even high-explosives! Thought you knew this!

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    Azrael666
    Items DoomPlayStationDiablo IIIBlizzardDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    I learned everything i know about parenthood from dolan comics

Thread Information