Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Master Sage
    Items User name styleLegend of ZeldaDiablo IIIHeath LedgerJoker (limited ICON)Title Style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Metal Gear Online service will terminate this June

I’m devastated….

Konami have announced that as of June 12th 2012, Metal Gear Online will cease to function. The online service, bundled with Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of The Patriots, will terminate on its fourth birthday. Between now and then, Konami will slowly begin turning off certain online features like the MGS online Store. Expansion Packs and DLC will be made available free to current users from April. Konami did not offer a reason as to why they are turning MGO off.

Metal Gear Online’s demise is a real shame. It offered an experience that, for the most part, was completely under appreciated by the masses.

Goodbye old friend.
    Source
    meh...

Once more into the fray.
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live and die on this day.
    Live and die on this day.

Stockholm Syndrome
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    Not too bothered, forgot all about it to be honest!

Master Guru
    That does kind of suck, but the whole offering was sort of a pain in the ass, which I think is to blame for people not regularly committing to the online experience or even bothering to sign up. I knew around 10-15 people that played the $#@! out of the original MGO that dropped with Subsistence, but just really couldn't care less about the new offering / setup.

Does it suck that they're taking it down? Yeah. But they sort of dropped the ball with the whole thing anyways.

PSU U.K. Executive Editor and Podcast Host
    Items User name styleLed ZeppelinAssassins Creed Ezio3DSDreamcastNintendo 64Vita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    Never played this, but I always wanted to; big MGS fan, and I always wondered how well the gameplay translated into an online environment.

Kind of sad it didn't even last five years, and I read at one point it was pretty popular too.
    http://www.psu.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=263583&dateline=13663  69798

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    They messed up with the stupid multiple login system anyone that bought the game on release day was in for a long wait trying to get online and download the updates from their ridiculously over saturated servers.
    I realised qwuickly tht the game had issues with hit detection and colision detection all sorts of weird stuff was happening so never went back to it until maybe last year just to see if I woudl liek the gameplay.
    I didn't.

Would Hamachi be able to work soemhow, using PC as a proxy or something?
    Last edited by keefy; 02-14-2012 at 19:54.

Dedicated Member
    Items Full Metal AlchemistThe X-FilesFinal Fantasy VII
    The online had a lot of potential. Portable Ops was really fun and MGS4 was also fun on the ps3 but they screwed things up with the custom log ins, the stupid store where everything was expensive, not being able to earn credits unless you bought an expansion pack. They really F'ed things up.

Master Guru
    Items Legend of ZeldaInsomniac GamesKonamiNaughty DogNintendoMetal Gear SolidFinal Fantasy XI OnlineDark Souls CoverPlayStationDoomDemons Souls Cover
    played a little bit when it came out, not an online fan period, but it wasn't too shabby

Let's be honest: You sleep with anything that walks on two legs. Sometimes, you're not even that discriminating

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Sucks for fans of the game. I had my fun with the online for a while. I would definitely be disappointed if I really liked it. It had lots of potential.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Veteran
    I read this @ IGN and even though I haven't played it in years, it did kinda make me sad somehow.

Superior Member
    Never touched MGO. If I wanted a solid online TPS, it was Uncharted or Confrontation. Sad for those who still do play however, although not many I'm assuming.

Soldier 95B
    This is why I enjoy peer to peer servers on console. I am tired of developers just closing down their servers every years. EA is really bad at this.

Master Guru

this sucks? pretty bad for this to happen on a current gen console. I mean you would expect it from PS2/Xbox but not PS3 surely?
    Wii # 8752-0092-2306-9612
    PSN ID : pez555

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    Im surprised anyone is still playing this online giving how badly they screwed it up.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Dedicated Member
    MGO2 was my favorite game to play online, I loved all the awesome features, and once you get really used to all the different techniques people use it's awesome. The clan system was absolutely top notch as well. Sad to see it go, I like to get on every once in a while and mess around if I see a friend on there. I hope they make an MGO3 and fix all the things people didn't like about MGO2 (the bull$#@! login stuff, better store, get rid of glitchers, etc.). I wouldn't mind some coop missions similar to Uncharted except more serious, mission/infiltration style stuff with high quality cutscenes featuring our customized characters. I mean after Peace Walker I want a MGO with some COOP stealth missions and stuff. MAKE IT HAPPEN KOJIMA!

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-The-Rave View Post
    Im surprised anyone is still playing this online giving how badly they screwed it up.
    Online was great for me, once the ID issues got sorted out.

Veteran
    Items Firefox LogoPS3 SlimUser name style
    It had soo much potential if it weren't for a few silly things really.

BTW does peace walker have an online battle feature ala Portable Ops?

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    This is why I enjoy peer to peer servers on console. I am tired of developers just closing down their servers every years. EA is really bad at this.
    Still need a master server to find each other which is under publishers/developers control.
    PS3 sends a ping to the master server to say I am looking for games and then it sends back all available servers to me.
    When hosting games PS3 sends ping to say I am hostign and availble to join.

PC gamers can bypass this by using programs like hamachi which acts as this master server.
    Last edited by keefy; 02-15-2012 at 22:22.

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Still need a master server to find each other which is under Konami control.
    PS3 sends a ping to the master server to say I am looking for games and then it sends back all available servers to me.
    When hosting games PS3 sends ping to say I am hostign and availble to join.
    Like most peer to peer. Peer to peer is less expense and maintenance.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Nakatomi_Uk
    Items Intel Core i7PS3 SlimFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VII
    I got so annoyed with the log in system and Konami ID rubbish plus the patches I managed to get into about 4 games and the as stated the hit detection and LAG was awful in the end I deleted it and never went back on it

Win 7 Ult 64bit, Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 Rev.1/Bios F8 , INTEL i7 2600k 3.40ghz, Crucial Ballistix Elite 8GB DDR3 1866mhz (1600mhz@1.60v), Crucial 128GB M4 SSD, Seagate 500GB 7,200rpm, Hitachi 1TB 7,200rpm (Back-Up HDD), HIS 7850 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E Card, OCZ Fatality 750 Mod PSU, LG DVD-RAM RW

Dedicated Member
    Items Full Metal AlchemistThe X-FilesFinal Fantasy VII
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi Uk View Post
    I got so annoyed with the log in system and Konami ID rubbish plus the patches I managed to get into about 4 games and the as stated the hit detection and LAG was awful in the end I deleted it and never went back on it
    yeah those patches where BS, like 4 hours for a freakin 100mb patch, hit detection was effed up too. It was insane considering that portable ops, basically MGO psp was lagless, quick and fun compared to the similar mgs4 online.

Superior Member

I didn't see the game going anywhere when I tried it. I'm actually surprised that this wasn't cancelled earlier and refunds to those who bought MGO standalone. MGS4 was a masterpiece but this was nothing but a disaster.
    PS3 80GB NTSCJ
    Sony KLV-37U300A 37"

I just played it for the first time ever (never bothered when I bought MGS4 back in 0. I have to say it is horribly unbalanced. You don't seem to rank up the traditional way MP's with kills. It generally favors players who are higher levels who seem to have the power to one-hit kill you. I will continue to play to see if I do rank up but it is hard to find balanced games. Also, people are definitely using lag switches.
    PSN ID: abenja1

PSN ID
    mercenary_cloud
    shame to see that konami is terminating the mgos was fun when i played until i forgot all my login stuff. they shouldve made that part simpler i think.

Elite Sage
    Items AC/DCRolling StonesAtari 2600GTA CJBattlefield 3Final Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIINESSNESEvertonUser name style
    I played the hell out of it on release & even bought all the Expansions &even though I sucked at it,,It was great fun to play especially playing Hide & Seek

lol who remembers the BETA connection problems && the gif of Jean Claude Van Damn screaming at his TV when MGO kept giving Errors

Superior Member
    I loved MGS4 but never really got into the multiplayer aspect. It was confusing having a Konami ID to sign in instead of just the usual PSN account. It won't be a big loss to me but for those who did enjoy it at least the expansion packs are free until it's end.

Greatness Awaits

Thread Information