Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    HitMan00

D. Jaffe responds to G4TV review of TM.

http://www.examiner.com/video-game-n...d-metal-review

David Jaffe has issued a statement regarding G4TV’s review of the Playstation 3 exclusive title, Twisted Metal. Although he was fine with the review itself, he wasn’t too happy at how the reviewer responded to critics from the comment section of the article. You can check out the latest screens from the car combat game in the slideshow to the left of this article in addition to David Jaffe’s multi-post message on Twitter below:
    Hey @g4tv - I had/have ZERO problems with your review of our game. You are entitled to that opinion and I respect it and appreciate it. As ya'll know, I dig your network and am always honored and excited when I get to do stuff with you guys. 5/5 or 1/5, that won't change. So with all that out of the way, let's be clear: the review your guy wrote was fine, but his insults and attitude and response to folks on the comment section makes it pretty obvious: y'all got an ill informed d**k on the payroll who admits to bringing an agenda to his review process. Am higher G4. I'd rather get a 1/5 from someone who knows his s**t like @AdamSessler than this 3.5/5 from his guy who would rather pick a fight and push his agenda that do his job. Anyway, much love g4. I remain a fan. But f**k that guy. What a d**k.

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    LMAO, what a legend..link to the review in question?
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Master Poster
    Items VitaLiverpool360 SlimPS3 FatGoogle Chrome

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Lol, go Jaffe

Elite Sage
    Well, Jaffe sure handled that like a child. Call the guy out for defending himself against flaming fanboy comments/"insulting them", then insult him yourself.
    I once ate a dirty sock...don't tell anyone.
    World domination has taken a momentary setback...talk amongst yourselves in the meantime.
    UK>America. its just true

6. Likes Nuvian , F34R likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Equinoqs
    Items Big BossFinal Fantasy XIILBP NarikoDemons Souls Cover
    Holy crap, what a lousy reviewer that guy is. I suspect a lot of his experience with 'old-school gaming' comes from reading other peoples' reminiscences on other gaming forums.

Shut up and play games

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by Xelios View Post
    Well, Jaffe sure handled that like a child. Call the guy out for defending himself against flaming fanboy comments/"insulting them", then insult him yourself.
    Well said. It's like pot/kettle here lol. (jaffe not you bro)

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Classic Jaffe.

Don't ever change.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    ROFL, yea this reviewer is a completely idiot. Sorry if some people like the guy but he is a flat out moron and deserved the flaming he got, he had it coming.

jdaprile

"Wow. Thanks everyone for your usual level of insightful commentary. I can always count on you guys for this sort of feedback.

In case you didn't know, I'm the guy who wrote the review (not Adam, so leave the poor guy alone). Without going blow-by-blow, I'll say a few words on the matter.

First off, 3 was my optimistic score.
    If you're happy playing a game that's nearly 20 years old, more power to you. Most gamers, I believe, expect there to be some kind of evolution in gameplay and Twisted Metal doesn't have any. Seriously, if you just want the same damn thing you got when you were nine, that's fine. More power to you, as the developer has given you exactly that.

Twisted Metal is a game built on the homage to the sort of heavy metal slasher-themed B-movies one might assume the developers loved, but the problem with this genre--be it games or movies--is that it's really hard to do well. TM gets the atmosphere right with its cinematics, but just feels cheap in most other places. The graphics are completely lackluster and there's just bits of laziness throughout. The handbrake is a perfect example--go ahead and hold it down without pressing any button, then steer. The car magically goes in a circle. Lame.

Also, to all those who are so adamant that the driving mechanics don't matter... What? This clearly isn't a racing game--as the racing levels vividly prove--but just because the gameplay focuses on shooting is no excuse whatsoever to not have a decent driving model. To suggest it doesn't matter is ludicrous. No matter what you want to believe, this is a driving game... it's a CAR combat game, and driving is the activity you constantly engage in. Shooting is the activity you engage in as much as possible, but the odds are if you're shooting you're also driving... The driving model feels 20 years old.

I love car combat games. Love them. And I've played a ton of them, including all the old Twisted Metal games. They were decent, if unexceptional games, period. Fun, shallow, and dumb. Much as we all like to jump aboard the nostalgic retro train the simple fact is this: games are better now. Technology and design have come a long way, and I'm sick to death of developers (particularly those from the 90's) who feel content to just shove out the same old crap they always did. It's a particular issue I have with most of the AAA-shooter houses from the 90's. And they don't like me much either.

Finally, give it a rest with the "G4 is biased against Sony" or "paid off by Microsoft". Many of us who review these games don't even work for G4 directly, we just happen to love and care about games and the industry. I divide my time pretty heavily among all platforms and most of my favorite games of last year I personally played on my PS3(s)--Killzone 3, Batman: AC, Uncharted 3, Resistance 3, LBP2... just to name a few. The system we, as reviewers, play on is virtually irrelevant.

Just because our opinion doesn't match up with yours does not mean we're on some mythical take. Eventually, you'll have to understand that different people have different opinions and that doesn't mean you can act like an idiot over it. Unless you actually do want to keep living in your mom's basement wondering why real girls won't talk to you.

Also, and for the record, I really can't stand the Call of Duty games. So comparing any of those damn games to a review I write is pointless. I'm not that fond of Halo either.

Thank you and good night."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    o.O ummmm yea.
    Last edited by Bigdoggy; 02-16-2012 at 03:19.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    the_mooninites
    Items ICO
    Lmao oh Jaffe, you entertain me.

~~Holy crap I'm Tapatalking

Super Elite
    He says his review was optimistic?.. "If you're into slaughtering little girls, then this game should suit you fans nicely." etcetera etcetera. Oh and the rest of that was a complete fail. That dude is straight up trolling the fans with no actual knowledge of the game. Sucks to be him.
    Last edited by Inzane2050; 02-16-2012 at 03:10.
    私は日本語がわかります。図書館で読みます。ビール飲みます。

13. Likes Nitey , Bigdoggy , Linconan likes this post
    Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    got that right he is trolling the fans but he is also trolling gamers in general. What a ridiculous review and on top of that, the comment he posted in the comment section was awful and basically shows he really doesn't have a clue on what the hell he is talking about. o.O

This reviewer wants the cars to have physics....honestly, if he played every Twisted Metal game he would know that Twisted Metal 3 was the worst one because 989 Studios added car physics and it basically turned the game into complete crap, which is why the only real level to play was the map that you drove around in circles, forget turning the physics basically turned the game to crap. Within that being said, whatever taste this guy has on video games, I wouldn't doubt if E.T. on Atari was his favorite Atari game. ugh

If G4 was smart, they would pull that review.
    Last edited by Bigdoggy; 02-16-2012 at 03:32.

15. Likes Kauldron likes this post
    Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    GreatnessRD
    Items User name style
    Damn, Jaffe went HAM on lil yo, but he did it with class.

$Greatness$ Awaits™

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Lol. Classic! I like his reasoning here.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    LOL Reviewer is a clueless $#@!. Thanks for posting his post Big, the one that was removed and apologised for.

Master Guru
    Jaffe is the real deal. It's good that we have stand up guys like him in the industry.

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    That reviewer needs to learn to ignore peoples comments :/

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdoggy View Post
    got that right he is trolling the fans but he is also trolling gamers in general. What a ridiculous review and on top of that, the comment he posted in the comment section was awful and basically shows he really doesn't have a clue on what the hell he is talking about. o.O

This reviewer wants the cars to have physics....honestly, if he played every Twisted Metal game he would know that Twisted Metal 3 was the worst one because 989 Studios added car physics and it basically turned the game into complete crap, which is why the only real level to play was the map that you drove around in circles, forget turning the physics basically turned the game to crap. Within that being said, whatever taste this guy has on video games, I wouldn't doubt if E.T. on Atari was his favorite Atari game. ugh

If G4 was smart, they would pull that review.
    Lol Ouch. TM3 i s probably my favourite TM, jsut barely beating out TM2. All the TMs after TM3, at least to me, were crap. I couldnt really get into the PS3s TM so I wont fully comment on that. :P
    Last edited by Fenix; 02-16-2012 at 05:48.

Sig&Av by Kuro

PS4 Preorders:
    FarCry4
    DragonAge3DWitcher3Order1886Uncharted4Batman:AKDyingLight

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Many of us who review these games don't even work for G4 directly

gee, I wonder why

LOL what a loser

22. Likes Nitey likes this post
    Master Sage
    Items User name styleLegend of ZeldaDiablo IIIHeath LedgerJoker (limited ICON)Title Style
    Quote Originally Posted by Xelios View Post
    I couldn't agree more, although i agree with Jaffe's point, that was a poor way to get it across.

Once more into the fray.
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live and die on this day.
    Live and die on this day.

Master Guru
    Items Legend of ZeldaInsomniac GamesKonamiNaughty DogNintendoMetal Gear SolidFinal Fantasy XI OnlineDark Souls CoverPlayStationDoomDemons Souls Cover
    what makes games like this great are that they ARE blasts from the past, i find myself going back to consoles of old and playing less and less current Gen because games were so damned good. they didn't need to cost a bozillion dollars to develop, and if they sell a "measly" million, then they are considered failures.

Let's be honest: You sleep with anything that walks on two legs. Sometimes, you're not even that discriminating

Superior Member
    Items Dark Souls CoverPS3 Slim
    I honestly don't mind what Jaffe said, but I like Jaffe so that's probably why. I agree though that their review was garbage and that the reviewer is absolutely horrible. Then his response he posted was even worse than his review. Reading that response just shows how big of an idiot that guy is and how he shouldn't be writing for anybody. I am perfectly fine with other people having different opinions about games, but honestly what this guy wrote was just an absolute joke and G4 never should have published it.

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Adam is the only reviewer that has any credit at G4. Yes most reviewers do not work for them. G4 likes to spread people thin and just post from other websites. That TM reviewers is trolling to try to get his name out, and has no clue about anything.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Superior Member

PSN ID
    XSpike
    Not sure how people dis TM graphics when its much better then quite a few games (I shouldn't need to say which one I'm mainly talking about). To have 16 cars online with some very nice animations for each weapon and such, with a ton of missiles, napalms and the such all going off. Along with all 16 cars driving though buildings while keeping a good refresh rate, its a very impressive game. People need to start realizing current-gen consoles are aging machines its not next-gen yet

Car physics, the game suits it. No way would I be playing Twisted Metal with GT5 physics you'd die just trying to handbrake into an alleyway as you'd completely miss it when your traveling at 100km/h with people behind you firing missiles and all sorts at you.

Twisted Metal needs skill, the physics/handling make it possible to boost around the map skidding up rooftops and making some mean getaways from players online with the handy handbrake. I know the game isn't for everyone but silly negatives in reviews like that which makes the game a twisted metal title are silly.
    Bow down before Drippy - Lord High Lord of the Fairies

28. Likes Nitey , Linconan, Agriel likes this post
    Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    Though this doesn't surprise me coming from G4...I can't believe people watch that channel with the amount of annoying people who work for them.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Forum Guru
    Twisted Metal is a game built on the homage to the sort of heavy metal slasher-themed B-movies one might assume the developers loved, but the problem with this genre--be it games or movies--is that it's really hard to do well. TM gets the atmosphere right with its cinematics, but just feels cheap in most other places. The graphics are completely lackluster and there's just bits of laziness throughout.
    Well actually low level graphics is precisely the style of metal slasher-themed B movies. It's not so much about the graphics, it's about the style.

Just sounds like this guy doesn't know wtf he's talking about.

Thread Information