Master Guru
    Items FuturamaGoogle ChromeAmerican DadHalf-Life 2Battlefield 3User name style

Australia To Finally Get 18 Rating For Games

Australian government introduces R18+ video game category

The Australian Federal Government has introduced legislation to establish an R18+ category for computer and video games in Australia.

The maximum legal classification for gaming in the country is currently MA15+, but any games not considered suitable for anyone above 15 are banned.

According to The ABC, the new legislation has come about after the Government received almost 60,000 submissions responding to a discussion paper on the matter.

Minister for Home Affairs Jason Clare said: "This will bring the classification categories for computer games into line with existing categories used to classify films and make the Australian classification regime more consistent with international standards."

Mark Serrels, editor for the Australian edition of gaming website Kotaku, added: "We need an R18+ rating so parents are aware of what games are suitable for children and what games aren't.

"This is something that has been going on for over a decade now, so it's really positive that this is happening."

A survey conducted by Galaxy in 2010 found that 80% of people taking part supported the introduction of adults-only categories for computer games.
    Source: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/n...-category.html

R18+ video game classification legislation has been introduced into the lower house of Australian parliament and is expected to come into effect by 2013.
    Source: http://technologyspectator.com.au/in...rs-lower-house

It's about bloody time. I can't imagine how annoying it would be it if I couldn't get hold of 18 rated games. I know a lot of game get loads of cuts to get it released there. It made no sense, as they have 18 certificate films.... anyway, at least in ~a year, it will be all sorted.

It probably won't be in effect by the time GTA V is out... so I assume it will have a late launch in Aus, but at least it won't be crippled.
    Last edited by darky89; 02-16-2012 at 15:00.

Don't Steal. Don't Molest Little Children. Don't Deal Drugs.

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    Azrael666
    Items DoomPlayStationDiablo IIIBlizzardDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    Well we do have a "18 Rating" here in germany and some games and films still get cut.
    It's not a guarantee that everythings gonna be alright from now on, just sayin'......

Master Guru
    Items FuturamaGoogle ChromeAmerican DadHalf-Life 2Battlefield 3User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast of Bourbon View Post
    Well we do have a "18 Rating" here in germany and some games and films still get cut.
    It's not a guarantee that everythings gonna be alright from now on, just sayin'......
    I guess they can still have strict guidelines as to what is allowed even in an 18 rated game.

Don't Steal. Don't Molest Little Children. Don't Deal Drugs.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Dear Australia/Wannabe America,

Congratulations!

Hopefully now you'll save money fom having to import gmaes (tax, freight etc).

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    Dear Australia/Wannabe America,

Congratulations!

Hopefully now you'll save money fom having to import gmaes (tax, freight etc).
    When we import we still save money after the extra costs. Our games are $110, that's about $112 American if memory serves so a $60 American game, after extra costs is still far less
    if I am in the PS3 or 360 section I will NOT post about the competitor just to please people, if you want to know what I think about the competitor link me to a thread in the appropriate section

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Minnzy View Post
    When we import we still save money after the extra costs. Our games are $110, that's about $112 American if memory serves so a $60 American game, after extra costs is still far less
    It's round about the same. I was merely thinking of taxes, but I've never been charged that here (NZ). Even after ordering form ozgameshop or play-asia.

Though, i usually opt for the Fedex shipping option.

I don't trust snail mail for games.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast of Bourbon View Post
    Of course not, but having GTA: III pushed into MA+15 is just silly. It should be R18 and the functioning prostitutes should have been in there :/

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    LadyDuoMaxwell
    Items Yuna3d dot game heroesFinal Fantasy Tactics
    A quick yet dumb question: when you import games, does customs check to see what rating it is?

3DS: 1161-0781-8406
    STEAM: LadyDuoMaxwell

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    AsuraOkami
    Wow about time i always thought they should have had a 18 rating a long time ago.

Master Guru
    Items Legend of ZeldaInsomniac GamesKonamiNaughty DogNintendoMetal Gear SolidFinal Fantasy XI OnlineDark Souls CoverPlayStationDoomDemons Souls Cover
    hooray australia

Let's be honest: You sleep with anything that walks on two legs. Sometimes, you're not even that discriminating

Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyDuoMaxwell View Post
    A quick yet dumb question: when you import games, does customs check to see what rating it is?
    Sometimes... as in I know nobody else who has had this problem and yet I've lost ALL imports of R18 games... Tis why I no longer do it, too costly
    if I am in the PS3 or 360 section I will NOT post about the competitor just to please people, if you want to know what I think about the competitor link me to a thread in the appropriate section

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Yeah they randomly check imported goods

Via Tapatalk

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Yes. Importing Mortal Kombat for instance could net you a $1k fine. It never made it into the MA+15 rating for Australia.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Thread Information