Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 48

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Master Sage
    Nuvian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Age
    35
    Posts
    14,842
    Rep Power
    108
    Points
    14,755 (0 Banked)
    Items User name styleLegend of ZeldaDiablo IIIHeath LedgerJoker (limited ICON)Title Style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

    Bethesda Knew About Skyrim PS3 Issues Pre-Release

    Thought that only a "small percentage" would be affected.
    Speaking to Kotaku at the DICE summit in LA last week, Bethesda's Todd Howard has admitted that the publisher was aware of problems with the PS3 version of Skyrim before release, but thought that "only a small percentage" of players would be affected.

    "The way our dynamic stuff and our scripting works, it's obvious it gets in situations where it taxes the PS3. And we felt we had a lot of it under control," Howard said, speaking about what he calls the "bad memory situation" on the platform. The intention, he goes on to explain, was to fix the game post-release, after developers noticed problems and were unable to tweak the code enough to solve them in time for the planned release date on 11th November last year.

    The fact that people at Bethesda were aware of this so-called "bad memory situation" on PS3 before release and chose to release the game anyway, knowing that a percentage of PS3 players would encounter major problems, is pretty shocking – but the plan to fix things with a patch post-release should have rescued the publisher from controversy if things had gone to plan. When November's patch 1.2 did not fix the game for PS3 players, Bethesda went all-out to solve the problem, getting players to submit their individual save files and studying them prior to the release of patch 1.4 this month.

    Howard reckons that PS3 issues should finally be fixed now, but he's cautious in his assertions. "Now that we've been through this, we're not naive enough to say, 'We have seen everything,' because we have to assume we haven't. There are still going to be some people who have to come back to us and say, 'Ok, my situation is this.' [We say:] 'OK, send us your saved game.' We literally need to look at what you have running… We need to open the saved game comes up and look at it."

    It's easy to say that Bethesda should have delayed the release of the PlayStation 3 version of Skyrim until the developer was able to fix these known problems, but it's equally easy to see why that didn't happen. From Bethesda's point of view, delaying the release on one platform only could have angered the majority of PS3 gamers more than releasing a game with problems that only a "small percentage" of players would encounter - especially when the assumption was that these problems could be fixed quickly and easily with a post-release patch.

    That assumption backfired, of course. It's obvious that Bethesda did not know (and could not have known) the extent of the problem until the game was out in the wild being played by millions of individual players with individual play habits.

    "For certain users it literally depends on how they play the game, varied over a hundred hours and literally what spells they use. Did they go in this building?" explains Howard. "It's literally the things you've done in what order and what's running. Some of the things are literally what spells do you have hot-keyed? Because, as you switch to them, they handle memory differently."
    Source
    Last edited by Nuvian; 02-16-2012 at 16:29.

    Once more into the fray.
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live and die on this day.
    Live and die on this day.


  2. #2
    Legend
    F34R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Posts
    40,102
    Rep Power
    243
    Points
    144,727 (0 Banked)
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    That's the problem with the ability to patch things post-release. Devs get caught up in these release windows, etc., and when they can't make it work, they release it anyways.




  3. #3
    Master Guru
    plustheharm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Age
    27
    Posts
    6,646
    Rep Power
    74
    Points
    1,958 (0 Banked)
    Sadly, Beth isn't the only one to push a game out with known issues this gen. Been a constant complaint I've heard of from Day 1. Not that it makes this particular case less of an issue than others, but one of these issues was seen with Fallout and they didn't seem to make much of a move to address it.


  4. #4
    Elite Sage
    Thorzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Age
    23
    Posts
    11,768
    Rep Power
    113
    Points
    49,427 (713 Banked)
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DS
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    That's why Bethesda will never see a dime from me on day 1. When they can release a bug free game or at least one that doesn't have game breaking bugs, then I'll buy.
    |My Playfire|My Deviantart|
    - SIG BY MY SISTER-

  5. #5
    Super Elite
    FireSol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Moscow
    PSN ID
    FireSol
    Posts
    2,238
    Rep Power
    64
    Points
    10,521 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorzilla View Post
    That's why Bethesda will never see a dime from me on day 1. When they can release a bug free game or at least one that doesn't have game breaking bugs, then I'll buy.
    this is tradition!! all their games since first TES was buggy on release)))

  6. #6
    Stockholm Syndrome
    Sylar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    UK
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Age
    24
    Posts
    8,784
    Rep Power
    96
    Points
    138,674 (0 Banked)
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    That's pretty shocking, I doubt I'll going for any more 1st day releases from them in the future!

  7. #7
    Ultimate Veteran
    Metal King Slime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Age
    23
    Posts
    21,947
    Rep Power
    189
    Points
    5,500 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Well, it's a little unrealistic to expect a bug-free game for one as large as Skyrim. But I do think that it would be a wise move to wait a little while before purchasing future titles from the development studio. I wouldn't be angry if they chose to delay their games either. Play something else while you wait.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar!

    Metal King Slime, formerly Black. Gaming since Super Mario World (SNES).

  8. #8
    Elite Guru
    *goo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5,264
    Rep Power
    75
    Points
    31,432 (0 Banked)
    Bethesda telling us what we already knew. Their track-record is less than stellar which is the single reason why I personally see their games as good but never being great.

  9. #9
    Veteran
    daLa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    24
    Posts
    4,593
    Rep Power
    74
    Points
    56,243 (0 Banked)
    So regardless of most Bethesda games being as good as they are, this speaks badly of them and makes me feel like they're not a worthy company, like a game company I rather not trust.


  10. #10
    Master Sage
    Nuvian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Age
    35
    Posts
    14,842
    Rep Power
    108
    Points
    14,755 (0 Banked)
    Items User name styleLegend of ZeldaDiablo IIIHeath LedgerJoker (limited ICON)Title Style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    DiCE and Bethesda are some of the worst when it comes to unpolished AAA titles in my opinion, and yet we still buy those games.

    Once more into the fray.
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live and die on this day.
    Live and die on this day.


  11. #11
    Power Member
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    41
    Posts
    17,373
    Rep Power
    160
    Points
    156,195 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Well the other option was to delay the PS3 verison only, I'm not sure people would have liked that.
    Last edited by mynd; 02-16-2012 at 20:40.

  12. #12
    Super Elite
    Inzane2050's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    2,009
    Rep Power
    30
    Points
    9,729 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Well the othe roption was ot delay the PS3 verison only, Im not sure people would have liked that.
    And even this would possibly be impossible given if they games have already been distributed. A post release patch would be the only option at that point. All in all, I'm glad the release wasn't delayed.
    私は日本語がわかります。図書館で読みます。ビール飲みます。

  13. #13
    Soldier 95B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    Well, it's a little unrealistic to expect a bug-free game for one as large as Skyrim.
    I disagree. I don't care if it is a 50mb Pac-man $5 download title or a $60 retail release. They should ONLY be selling us a product that works, and works properly.

    That is the worst thing this generation. Bandaiding of our games and experiences.

  14. #14
    Legend
    F34R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Posts
    40,102
    Rep Power
    243
    Points
    144,727 (0 Banked)
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    I disagree. I don't care if it is a 50mb Pac-man $5 download title or a $60 retail release. They should ONLY be selling us a product that works, and works properly.

    That is the worst thing this generation. Bandaiding of our games and experiences.
    That's very unrealistic.... I doubt you'll find a single piece of software in todays world that is bug free.




  15. #15
    Power Member
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    41
    Posts
    17,373
    Rep Power
    160
    Points
    156,195 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    I disagree. I don't care if it is a 50mb Pac-man $5 download title or a $60 retail release. They should ONLY be selling us a product that works, and works properly.

    That is the worst thing this generation. Bandaiding of our games and experiences.
    Easier to do if your only targeting one platform.
    Much harder to do when your targeting multiple platforms.
    Perhaps another case of lead with the PS3 then port to the rest.

  16. #16
    Soldier 95B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    That's very unrealistic.... I doubt you'll find a single piece of software in todays world that is bug free.
    That is not my problem, that is the developer problem. Just because it happens doesn't make it acceptable.

  17. #17
    Veteran
    SomaXD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    So-Cal
    PSN ID
    SomaXD
    Age
    32
    Posts
    4,795
    Rep Power
    76
    Points
    6,859 (1,083 Banked)
    Items PhotoShopPhotoshopAssassins Creed EzioKillzone 3Guerrilla GamesNaughty DogRaidenNoctisiPhone BlackVitaDeath NoteFinal Fantasy VII
    Quote Originally Posted by Inzane2050 View Post
    And even this would possibly be impossible given if they games have already been distributed. A post release patch would be the only option at that point. All in all, I'm glad the release wasn't delayed.

    Right because its okay to release a game they admitted to being completely bug riddled. who cares we have to wait for them to patch it... as long as they made their day 1 sales... they couldnt care less. in fact we still had to wait an additional 3 months for it to be "sort of" fixed. Admit it. the game was broken, they knew it, but shoved it in our faces because they knew suckers and retards would eat it up. There is absolutely no difference between releasing a $#@! ass broken game one day... and making us wait for a semi-fixed game 3months later... Just proves Bethesda doesnt give a $#@! about you or me as gamers. Id rather they delayed the game and have it work (i havent play Skyrim since it started $#@!ing up @80hours back in december... so whats the difference?) This isnt a $#@!ing PC game i paid for... i bought my consoles because it used to mean the most stable and bug-free platform for gaming... Enjoy your constant patches that claim to fix the game (but dont really do anything asadie from amking you feel like its a "little" better.

    These Devs are lazy as $#@!... and all this should have been worked out before release... end of story. I guess im glad to know people like to buy broken launch games... just proves no one truly has standards anymore.
    Vanik Tetsu'ya
    PS4 500GB//PS3 MGS4 80GB//PS3 120GB Slim//360 250GB Slim//360 4GB Slim w/Kinect//Black Wii 4.3u softmod//PS Vita w/32gb card

  18. #18
    Super Elite
    Inzane2050's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    2,009
    Rep Power
    30
    Points
    9,729 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by SomaXD View Post
    Right because its okay to release a game they admitted to being completely bug riddled. who cares we have to wait for them to patch it... as long as they made their day 1 sales... they couldnt care less.
    Well if that's true, then why did they patch the game in the first place if they only cared about Day One sales?... See the hole I poked in your logic there?

    Anyways, people need to understand that Skyrim is a massive game. And to find and fix all of the bugs in such a massive came is not very possible as there are a lot of nooks and crannies and bugs may only occur 1 out of 10 times, and yet you are asking them spend +120x10 hours to look thru the entire game and all of the side quests and goodies to find these bugs?... Better to let the audience find the less obvious ones for them instead of wasting massive amounts of money to do it prior to release. It's a good price for us to pay to play such a massive game. No other RPG touches what Elder Scrolls does in terms of scale and playability.
    Last edited by Inzane2050; 02-17-2012 at 09:12.
    私は日本語がわかります。図書館で読みます。ビール飲みます。

  19. #19
    Dedicated Member
    Equinoqs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Appalachian Mtns.
    PSN ID
    Equinoqs
    Posts
    1,146
    Rep Power
    40
    Points
    16,361 (0 Banked)
    Items Big BossFinal Fantasy XIILBP NarikoDemons Souls Cover
    Welcome to today's gaming environment.


    Shut up and play games

  20. #20
    Super Moderator
    Admartian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Age
    27
    Posts
    12,995
    Rep Power
    128
    Points
    39,758 (0 Banked)
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Threats to boycott in 3..2..1...

    #IndieStation4 and proud of it.

  21. #21
    Ancient
    TGO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    purgatory
    Age
    32
    Posts
    10,501
    Rep Power
    100
    Points
    12,727 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    PS3 memory problems uh, ya know if it can be fixed its not a PS3 problem, just a unfinished game

    Sent from my Xperia Ray

    "Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

  22. #22
    Power Member
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    41
    Posts
    17,373
    Rep Power
    160
    Points
    156,195 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    PS3 memory problems uh, ya know if it can be fixed its not a PS3 problem, just a unfinished game

    Sent from my Xperia Ray
    Computer game development isnt as easy as walking down the street and buying the game.
    It's a very complex process.
    Im sure they could have easily solved the memory issues by cutting features out of the PS3 version, which wouldnt have made anyone happy.

  23. #23
    Newbie
    Chark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    PSN ID
    GT_168
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    0
    Points
    151 (0 Banked)
    I just hope they and other developers/publishers walk away with, "Oh man we should have dedicated our efforts equally among platforms. It would have saved us a lot of money on patches and sales." instead of, "PS3 is hard to develop for and it doesn't sell as much software." Please devs, in the future, don't shoot yourselves in the foot.

  24. #24
    Master Guru
    Bigdoggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Age
    34
    Posts
    6,382
    Rep Power
    72
    Points
    5,212 (11,045 Banked)
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    Bethesda proved on the PC they half ass even PC games. Some people may be stunned by me saying this, but I find KoA more enjoyable for some strange reason, not only that, but if another Oblivion game comes out, I'm skipping it, I'll get the one after that one. lol

    While I do like their games, I just didn't care much for skyrim. New things they added to Skyrim could have been done a lot better and more variety within "said" new things in that game. The marriage thing was nothing more then a gimmick which they could have excuted A LOT better and that isn't all either, there is a lot more in skyrim that made me say "meh".
    Last edited by Bigdoggy; 02-16-2012 at 20:47.

  25. #25
    Legend
    F34R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Posts
    40,102
    Rep Power
    243
    Points
    144,727 (0 Banked)
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I didn't say it was acceptable. However, it isn't a realistic scenario though. I don't think there are ANY game that don't have bugs in them. Maybe if we're talking about "game breaking" bugs, then I'd agree to an extent.




Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.