Latest PSU headlines:

Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Newbie
    Gant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    UCSD
    Posts
    47
    Rep Power
    0
    Points
    168 (0 Banked)

    PS VITA 3G question/concern, traveling.

    In short i travel extremely frequently and to an array of different countries. they include many asian countries, sometimes europe, currently im in the US.

    Now here is my question. im planning to buy the wifi/3G version of the ps vita, however the problem here lies that whether or not I can use the 3G in different countries. Like here in the US I am forced to turn to AT&T coverage for 3G. But like for example once im in Japan, or Singapore, can I still use their respective 3G services?

  2. #2
    PSU Technical Advisor
    Varsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    W-s-M
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,145
    Rep Power
    80
    Points
    15,927 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    That would all depend on whether AT&T provide coverage in the corresponding countries you're wanting to visit. for instance Vodafone in the UK will obviously let me use the 3G in the UK, but it will also allow me to use it across over 70 countries which is pretty much 80% of the whole of Eurasia, Australasia, The United States, half of Africa, and Chile.

    If you used a Verizon Networks sim card then you'd have the same deal as I would as Vodafone owns half of that company, but AT&T aren't as big as Vodafone and only operate in the US, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands so expect to have a premium cost when in other countries.

  3. #3
    Superior Member
    gusgus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    575
    Rep Power
    48
    Points
    149 (1,059 Banked)
    Items Vita
    I would think that you would have to get a different SIM card and time cards for each region, but that would just be a guess.
    Professional assassination. It's the highest form of public service. - Chiun

  4. #4
    Newbie
    Gant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    UCSD
    Posts
    47
    Rep Power
    0
    Points
    168 (0 Banked)
    Yeah thats what i meant. could i use a different SIM and just use their respective 3g service.

  5. #5
    Legend
    F34R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Posts
    40,062
    Rep Power
    242
    Points
    141,443 (0 Banked)
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    No. The US 3g Vita will be locked to AT&T.




  6. #6
    Newbie
    Gant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    UCSD
    Posts
    47
    Rep Power
    0
    Points
    168 (0 Banked)
    Aw that sucks. is that a sony move or a typical AT&T move.

  7. #7
    Suicide Season
    Sylar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    UK
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Age
    24
    Posts
    7,741
    Rep Power
    92
    Points
    126,149 (0 Banked)
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    Quote Originally Posted by Gant View Post
    Aw that sucks. is that a sony move or a typical AT&T move.
    It would be a move by Sony, they wanted to pick the 3G providers who lead in that general market



    "Guns for Show, Knives for Pro"

    www.youtube.com/4pixelcorner


  8. #8
    Ultimate Veteran
    mickice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Australia, In a Kangaroo's pouch.
    Age
    27
    Posts
    21,859
    Rep Power
    127
    Points
    20,349 (40,000 Banked)
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    What you can do is buy or unlock your phone and tether the 3G from it.

    - Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

  9. #9
    Veteran
    SomaXD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    So-Cal
    PSN ID
    SomaXD
    Age
    32
    Posts
    4,792
    Rep Power
    75
    Points
    6,759 (1,083 Banked)
    Items PhotoShopPhotoshopAssassins Creed EzioKillzone 3Guerrilla GamesNaughty DogRaidenNoctisiPhone BlackVitaDeath NoteFinal Fantasy VII
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    What you can do is buy or unlock your phone and tether the 3G from it.
    which is the precise reason i got a wifi only model... absolutely no point in a 3G model in this day and age with smartphones...
    Vanik Tetsu'ya
    PS4 500GB//PS3 MGS4 80GB//PS3 120GB Slim//360 250GB Slim//360 4GB Slim w/Kinect//Black Wii 4.3u softmod//PS Vita w/32gb card

  10. #10
    Legend
    F34R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Posts
    40,062
    Rep Power
    242
    Points
    141,443 (0 Banked)
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Only reason I got the 3g model is because I got it cheaper than the wifi model lol.




  11. Likes Thorzilla likes this post
  12. #11
    PSU Technical Advisor
    Varsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    W-s-M
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,145
    Rep Power
    80
    Points
    15,927 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    It would be a move by Sony, they wanted to pick the 3G providers who lead in that general market
    Which in the US ironically is Verizon Networks (Vodafone).

  13. #12
    Veteran
    SomaXD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    So-Cal
    PSN ID
    SomaXD
    Age
    32
    Posts
    4,792
    Rep Power
    75
    Points
    6,759 (1,083 Banked)
    Items PhotoShopPhotoshopAssassins Creed EzioKillzone 3Guerrilla GamesNaughty DogRaidenNoctisiPhone BlackVitaDeath NoteFinal Fantasy VII
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Only reason I got the 3g model is because I got it cheaper than the wifi model lol.
    That... also... actually... is a better reason. (are you going to use the 3G... or wifi tether?)
    Vanik Tetsu'ya
    PS4 500GB//PS3 MGS4 80GB//PS3 120GB Slim//360 250GB Slim//360 4GB Slim w/Kinect//Black Wii 4.3u softmod//PS Vita w/32gb card

  14. #13
    Newbie
    Gant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    UCSD
    Posts
    47
    Rep Power
    0
    Points
    168 (0 Banked)
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/U-S-P...T-246172.shtml

    "AT&T has confirmed that all PlayStation Vita 3G units sold in the U.S. will be locked to its own network, meaning owners can’t use other SIM cards with it."

    $#@! YOU AT&T

  15. #14
    Ultimate Veteran
    mickice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Australia, In a Kangaroo's pouch.
    Age
    27
    Posts
    21,859
    Rep Power
    127
    Points
    20,349 (40,000 Banked)
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by SomaXD View Post
    which is the precise reason i got a wifi only model... absolutely no point in a 3G model in this day and age with smartphones...
    I can see your point, especially when 4G phones become main stream and you can tether those too.

    But I'm still getting the 3G just because I can. Also I get WipEout 2047.

    - Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

  16. #15
    Elite Guru
    Nitey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Age
    25
    Posts
    5,675
    Rep Power
    61
    Points
    40,911 (0 Banked)
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Quote Originally Posted by SomaXD View Post
    which is the precise reason i got a wifi only model... absolutely no point in a 3G model in this day and age with smartphones...
    Same. Although, if any applications or features that are 3G-only ever come out, I would consider selling my WiFi and get a 3G

    Or just grab the inevitible PSV 2000 that will have 4G =D

  17. #16
    Legend
    F34R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Posts
    40,062
    Rep Power
    242
    Points
    141,443 (0 Banked)
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gant View Post
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/U-S-P...T-246172.shtml

    "AT&T has confirmed that all PlayStation Vita 3G units sold in the U.S. will be locked to its own network, meaning owners can’t use other SIM cards with it."

    $#@! YOU AT&T
    Well, the deal was negotiated by Sony and AT&T, so don't leave out that love for Sony.




Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

PSU

Playstation Universe

Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission of Abstract Holdings International Ltd. prohibited.
Use of this site is governed by our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.