Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Elite Guru

Items Naughty DogMetal Gear SolidPlayStation

Too late to buy a PS3?

Okay so here's the deal. I want to buy a PS3 for a family member, but the thought crossed my mind that it might be too late in the game to buy one?

I know that might sound crazy but isn't the next consoles coming soon? I could always wait and make it a present for a future year when the next PS comes out. Or should I just go and buy one now for her?

I'm not sure what to do lol

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I think you can buy the PS3 right now and get plenty of use out of it. Hell, some people are still buying PS2s!!!

Forum Guru
    Buy the PS3.
    No one knows when the next PS will be coming. There hasn't been any kind of real confirmation about it. Only rumors.

Once it is announced it most likely will be atleast year before its even available.

Buy the PS3 so she can enjoy it now. That's far better then waiting another 2 years to enjoy the next PS.
    PCs are very much like Air Conditioners.
    They both become utterly useless once you start to open up Windows....
    ----------------------------------------------

4. Likes The Black Wolf wishes they had posted this first.
    Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    Another thing to consider is when the PS4 does come, it will likely cost a ton. By the time the price drops, you'll be tired of your PS3 and ready for the PS4! Yeah, I'd go ahead and get one. They're at a good price with plenty of good games.

Currently Playing: Pokemon X

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Never too late, as time goes on the machine becomes cheaper then ever with the most games ever. You might miss out on some of the older online games but theres still plenty left to play.

PS4 has little to no competition.

Suicide Season
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    If anything it's a pretty good time to get a good deal on a PS3, I know www.game.co.uk are doing discounted PS3 bundles and there are a lot of great games at cheap prices

"Guns for Show, Knives for Pro"

Ultimate Veteran
    Now is a great time to get a PS3. Some hotly anticipated stuff is still in the pipeline like Last Guardian and Versus XIII. Guerrilla is also working on a new game and the third party support is as good as it has ever been. PS3 will not be an outdated system for some time.

Master Guru
    The PS3 has another solid 3 years of good support left in it. Hell people are still buying PS2s. There are plenty of great games to play on the PS3 right now that will last her awhile.

And nobody really knows when the PS4 is coming anyway. It could be two years time or three years time and it's going to be expensive.

Superior Member

I agree. Find yourself the very best deal you can for her and get her a few games like Singstar dance and Littlebigplanet 2 and games she will like. There is so much support out there and back log of cheap games she will definately get her money's worth. Even if Sony announced specs for a PS4 at E3 they would not be able to launch it at the very earliest until Christmas 2013. More than likely the very earliest most are thinking is Summer to Fall 2014 I think in most circles..at the earliest. There is at least 3-4 years of good gaming left and I think Sony and developers will continue to support it for another 5 years with how large the user base is and how Sony seems to be cross platform promoting games like how the Vita and PS3 can share games. That doesn't sound like a company that is throwing in the towel this gen if you ask me.

Mm..waffles..
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    Buy a used one? They are dirt cheap.
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    Yeah, I bought a new one recently to replace my launch model..still a lot of life left.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Forum Sage

Not at all. Good bluray player and a nice back catalog of games, probably the best time to buy one

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Sony said the 10 year life span of the PS3 was a minimum. I can see Sony supporting it as their "entry level" system when the bigger brother comes along for a LONG time. Chances are the graphical leap wont be as big as it was between PS2 and PS3, so the PS3 will still be looking great and will be cheaper with tons of functionality. Now is a great time to jump on board. The PS3 makes a great gift for new comers now. It's affordable with a SHIT LOAD of amazing games at greatest hits prices, free to play multiplayer is the best option for a someone who might not use the console as often as the likes of us do.
    Click HERE to create your mercenary and get exclusive in-game items.

THE GREY CARDINAL (eWar Merc) - COVERT SUBTERFUGE (Minmatar Scout)
    CEO of PSU GHOST SYNDICATE - PSU in-game channel: PSU GHOST

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    RaYU84
    Items Dr. DreDragon Ball Z3DSPS3 SlimNintendo 64TOOLPink FloydAC/DCFuturamaMetallica
    Not at all. I just finally got one last month after only having a Wii for five years. I don't regret it, and I wouldn't even if the next PS came out next year. Theres a huge backlog of games that I still need to play
    Thanks to THUGGEDOUT for the sig, The Black Wolf for the av.
    Life's too short to be sober! Drunk with power!

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by RaY_210 View Post
    Not at all. I just finally got one last month after only having a Wii for five years. I don't regret it, and I wouldn't even if the next PS came out next year. Theres a huge backlog of games that I still need to play
    Understatement! lol See you in 5 years! Nah people who enter now are at a great advantage. Cheap console, cheap games.
    Click HERE to create your mercenary and get exclusive in-game items.

THE GREY CARDINAL (eWar Merc) - COVERT SUBTERFUGE (Minmatar Scout)
    CEO of PSU GHOST SYNDICATE - PSU in-game channel: PSU GHOST

Forum Sage
    If anything, this is the BEST time to buy a PS3. This relative of yours will have a massive backlog of possible game purchases that will keep her busy for a long time, long enough so that the next generation of consoles should be getting cheaper by the time she has gone through all the games PS3 has to offer (at least if she's not picky with the kind of games she plays). PS3 itself is cheap-ish and there's a plethora of cheap games for it too, so she doesn't have to spend shittons of $$$ on games, at least if she focuses on older games first.

Now playing: PSP: Persona 3 Portable (3)DS: Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D PS3: deBlob 2 PC: The Witcher 2
    Next In Line: Ghost Trick
    Recently Finished:

Extreme Poster
    I think the PSP isn't too late to buy right now...I mean, you're getting a ton of games. If you're NOT getting it for a hardcore gamer, the later the better because they can get cheap game deals.

It's a good time to get the PS3, it's cheap, it's got a lot of games and it's perfect for people that just wanna casually use the console. By that I don't mean casual gamers...because the 360 and Wii is better suited for that right now however at the same time, 360 is more for the hardcore since it requires a subscription to play online or use Netflix.

PS4 or whatever it will be called, we don't know when it will come...I'm pretty sure it won't be here for another year. They have to announce it first...and Sony usually take a year after the announcement. So my guess is that it will be announced next E3 and it will come out 6 months - year after that. So most likely two to two and a half years from now.

You might as well wait that long if you were getting it for yourself. Or buy them a different gift lol.

Superior Member

Also with the improved web browser, netflix, stream content and play blu-ray/3d movie on top of all the games it is a good buy that she will get lots and lots of use out of even if she isn't playing games.

overstepping the mark
    PSN ID
    SHAFT_N_BALLS
    Items User name style
    Nah i wouldnt bother getting her one...

it makes a shit hoover!

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Ok... I was wrong. Happy?

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Simple answer no. They are going to support the PS3 for a while after PS4 releases which looks like won't be until 2013 or 2014. I say go for it.

Currently Playing: ​ Skyrim
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Beyond: Two Souls

Master Sage
    Items User name styleLegend of ZeldaDiablo IIIHeath LedgerJoker (limited ICON)Title Style
    Quote Originally Posted by emmerich View Post
    Okay so here's the deal. I want to buy a PS3 for a family member, but the thought crossed my mind that it might be too late in the game to buy one?

I know that might sound crazy but isn't the next consoles coming soon? I could always wait and make it a present for a future year when the next PS comes out. Or should I just go and buy one now for her?

I'm not sure what to do lol
    Doubt you will see a new Playstation console before the end of 2013, will probably not come out until 2014.
    And there are are a lot of games to play that have been released over the years as well

So buying one is still a good investment, its a good BR player as well.

Once more into the fray.
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live and die on this day.
    Live and die on this day.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Nuvian makes a great point it doubles as 2 gifts. I don't own stand alone BR player but I own 2 PS3s that I watch BRs on.

Currently Playing: ​ Skyrim
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Beyond: Two Souls

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    Simple answer no. They are going to support the PS3 for a while after PS4 releases which looks like won't be until 2013 or 2014. I say go for it.
    For a casual person, even if they stopped support now...it wouldn't matter, there's a shit ton of games out there already and the PSN is free to use...what else would a casual want?

Superior Member
    I, like others, believe it's a great time to buy a PS3.

Reasons

1. Great catalog of games to play
    2. The console is at a great price for the hardware
    3. Even if the next gen consoles are announced later this year, I don't believe they will be out for at least another 12 months
    4. You could then sell the PS3 and put that money towards the PS4 (if it is announced.)

Greatness Awaits

Elite Sage
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DS
    No way man! It's the best time to get one. Lots, lots of games, multiplatform and exclusives for bargain prices now! If you're getting one, now is when.
    |My Playfire|My Deviantart|
    - SIG BY MY SISTER-

Thread Information