Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    Soldier 95B

Sony Patents Kinect-Like 3D Depth-Sensing Camera for PlayStation Consoles

It’s no secret that the Kinect is outselling the PlayStation Move by quite a fair margin, so Sony may be looking to come out with their own Kinect competitor that can actually sense depth and track subtle movements where the PS Eye cannot. A newly published patent has revealed that the company has begun work on a new 3D camera that could potentially be a part of the PlayStation 4.
    Only just published, what’s most interesting about the patent is that is was originally filed last October – a full year after the Kinect launched and broke Guinness World Records for sales. Sony previously admitted they had looked into 3D cameras long before the Kinect was a reality, but decided against it in favor of a button-based peripheral – the PS Move. However, now that Move and PS Eye-creator Dr Richard Marks has published the new patent, it does certainly suggest that the company has once again started to look into such a system.

The patent says:
    An invention is provided for affording a real-time three-dimensional interactive environment using a depth sensing device. The invention includes obtaining depth values indicating distances from one or more physical objects in a physical scene to a depth sensing device.
    Continuing (emphasis added):
    A system for providing a real-time three-dimensional interactive environment, comprising: a depth sensing device capable of obtaining depth values indicating distances from one or more physical objects in a physical scene to a depth sensing device…
    The patent also suggests that the camera would use a system similar to the Kinect’s, where it sprays out infared to determine depth (watch this cool vid to see how):
    wherein the depth sensing device is a depth camera using controlled infrared lighting
    Along with the patent, some drawings were also included that show how depth would be recognized:
    http://playstationlifestyle.net/2012...tion-consoles/

PS4 looking to appeal to more casuals as well, it might seem. Good news if true.

Suicide Season
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    It'll be interesting to see what innovations they bring to the technology and if it will differ in any way from Kinect.

"Guns for Show, Knives for Pro"

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    It'll be interesting to see what innovations they bring to the technology and if it will differ in any way from Kinect.
    My guess is higher res camera, maybe a better mic array, processor onboard to free up system resources. Pretty much everything that is purported to be coming in Kinect 2.

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh.....Eyetoy.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

5. Likes Thorzilla wishes they had posted this first.
    PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Perhaps going after the casuals is part of it, but I think it's is just the logical evolution of the Move. Move is already REALLY accurate and has been very successfully implemented in a lot of awesome core games (inFamous 2, Heavy Rain, Killzone/Resistance 3 etc). Having the ability to perceive depth and track body parts will only shoot the Move's potential through the roof. I also think it's a logical step given Sony's 3D agenda. Having a camera that perceives depth has very interesting possibilities in how they choose to apply that data to game's visuals (3D wise). It's great news! PS4 + Move 2.0 and Vita are going to be a truly unique and dynamic experience. I wanna know what Sony have in store for PS4/Vita functionality. Anyway, digressing, awesome news! Thanks for posting!
    Click HERE to create your mercenary and get exclusive in-game items.

THE GREY CARDINAL (eWar Merc) - COVERT SUBTERFUGE (Minmatar Scout)
    CEO of PSU GHOST SYNDICATE - PSU in-game channel: PSU GHOST

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    eyetoy 3d maybe?

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    Perhaps going after the casuals is part of it, but I think it's is just the logical evolution of the Move. Move is already REALLY accurate and has been very successfully implemented in a lot of awesome core games (inFamous 2, Heavy Rain, Killzone/Resistance 3 etc). Having the ability to perceive depth and track body parts will only shoot the Move's potential through the roof. I also think it's a logical step given Sony's 3D agenda. Having a camera that perceives depth has very interesting possibilities in how they choose to apply that data to game's visuals (3D wise). It's great news! PS4 + Move 2.0 and Vita are going to be a truly unique and dynamic experience. I wanna know what Sony have in store for PS4/Vita functionality. Anyway, digressing, awesome news! Thanks for posting!
    I don't think Sony will want that many accessories this next time around. I suspect there will be no Move after the PS3. I can see them having their version of Kinect, and possibly getting some Move features added to their controllers somehow. IMO of course.

But yeah, great news if true. It's nice to see both companies trying to appeal to a bigger audience now.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Hopefully HD.
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzyreactor
    Nothing more exciting than bringing home a brand new console and watching a download screen for a hour.

yay, next gen!

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    I don't think Sony will want that many accessories this next time around. I suspect there will be no Move after the PS3. I can see them having their version of Kinect, and possibly getting some Move features added to their controllers somehow. IMO of course.

But yeah, great news if true. It's nice to see both companies trying to appeal to a bigger audience now.
    Sony have played with the idea of 3D cameras ages ago and concluded that it was not effective to be widely applied in complex games and they were right. There is no way they are going to leave out the Move next gen IMO, Sony are into moving forward, not backward.

It will probably come in the box.

Soldier 95B
    The PS4 having a console, a camera, a controller, a Move and a nav controller in a box as their main sku? Sounds a bit pricey.

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    The PS4 having a console, a camera, a controller, a Move and a nav controller in a box as their main sku? Sounds a bit pricey.
    Who knows, time will tell. I just don't think they will take Move out of the equation.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    A price I would not pay... cripes, just the console and 1 controller this time around was 700 bucks...

Super Elite
    This technology would be a nice thing to see integrated into PS Move. Not that Sony would take issue with releasing another accessory as Soldier takes suggesting.
    Last edited by Inzane2050; 02-20-2012 at 19:45.
    私は日本語がわかります。図書館で読みます。ビール飲みます。

Forum Sage

Will be interesting to see how this plans out, could be quite good. Time will tell.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Quote Originally Posted by Inzane2050 View Post
    This technology would be a nice thing to see integrated into PS Move. Not that Sony would take issue with releasing another accessory as Soldier takes suggesting.

Now if I am not mistaken, adding a depth sensing kinect style camera isn't going to really enhance move, but rather streamline it. The balls are there for depth and tracking, and the eye can already track limbs (albeit simpler than Kinect).

So the real mating of the two could essentially get rid of the balls on the end of the controllers, place smaller infrared LED's in the end for precise controller tracking, while adding the depth sensing ability to the camera.

I don't think we will see MOVE 2.0, or EYETOY 2.0 or anything like that.. IMO. If they DO go ahead with this camera, it will be something different.

Soldier 95B
    Sony might not have an issue, but developers would have an issue if they had so many accessories. One of the biggest dev complaints about Move has been that they cannot develop a game assuming that everyone has both Move accessories and one for each player in the household. Some people already have an Eyetoy, and bought just a move controller. Some people bought a PS Eye and Move controller, but no nav controller. Some bought all three..they eye, the nav and the move, but didn't buy all three for the second person and greater. Some people know that you can use the DS3 as a nav, some don't. It's the same issue devs had with the 360 and no HDD standard. They develop for the lowest common denominator, and are prevented from being able to take full advantage of an accessory.

It is also consumer confusion with that many accessories. Sony is a hardware company at heart. I think they are smart enough to realize that the next PS will be READY, out of the box and not have a laundry list of controller accessories to confuse the consumer. IMO.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    It is also consumer confusion with that many accessories. Sony is a hardware company at heart. I think they are smart enough to realize that the next PS will be READY, out of the box and not have a laundry list of controller accessories to confuse the consumer. IMO.
    One man calls it confusion, one calls it freedom of choice on what they have to pay for.

Not including all that stuff, that some don't give two poops about, can cut the core price of the console down. It also allows the end user to pay to customize their console needs when, or if they want to rather than be ram rodded into buying featuresets they might not use.

19. Likes Two4DaMoney wishes they had posted this first.
    Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    Now if I am not mistaken, adding a depth sensing kinect style camera isn't going to really enhance move, but rather streamline it. The balls are there for depth and tracking, and the eye can already track limbs (albeit simpler than Kinect).

So the real mating of the two could essentially get rid of the balls on the end of the controllers, place smaller infrared LED's in the end for precise controller tracking, while adding the depth sensing ability to the camera.

I don't think we will see MOVE 2.0, or EYETOY 2.0 or anything like that.. IMO. If they DO go ahead with this camera, it will be something different.
    My thought on it was that it could be a two-in-one device, both a Kinect and a PS Move. It would consolidate the living room space for the consumer. Iy would be weird to have multiple Playstation sensors all over with slightly varied purposes, and Sony would probably understand this. That's my two cents on it.
    私は日本語がわかります。図書館で読みます。ビール飲みます。

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Sony might not have an issue, but developers would have an issue if they had so many accessories. One of the biggest dev complaints about Move has been that they cannot develop a game assuming that everyone has both Move accessories and one for each player in the household. Some people already have an Eyetoy, and bought just a move controller. Some people bought a PS Eye and Move controller, but no nav controller. Some bought all three..they eye, the nav and the move, but didn't buy all three for the second person and greater. Some people know that you can use the DS3 as a nav, some don't. It's the same issue devs had with the 360 and no HDD standard. They develop for the lowest common denominator, and are prevented from being able to take full advantage of an accessory.

Time will tell.

Master Guru
    Sounds like the evolution of the Eye Toy. I don't think Sony will drop support for Move either so we'll see how this plays out.

If there is one thing Sony does it's that they offer many options to their gamers.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Quote Originally Posted by TDbank24 View Post
    If there is one thing Sony does it's that they offer many options to their gamers.
    Yeah, one thing these current gen systems do well is offer choice

Master Guru
    Items Naughty DogGuerrilla GamesNvidiaMaster ChiefPS3 SlimVita360 SlimLittle Big PlanetApple
    Wow!!!!!!unbelievable after Sony said motion sensor games didn't add anything to the gaming experience now they're jumping on the band wagon. Say good bye to move I gauranty that Sony will no longer support it.
    Last edited by The Sith; 02-20-2012 at 22:37.

uuummmmm...Fried Beer iis a reality.

25. Dislikes sainraja , Ghost is confounded by the utter nonsense of this most disagreeable post
    PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Advanced Move and advanced AR is what we can expect out of this.

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    Sony have played with the idea of 3D cameras ages ago and concluded that it was not effective to be widely applied in complex games and they were right. There is no way they are going to leave out the Move next gen IMO, Sony are into moving forward, not backward.

It will probably come in the box.
    Yeah, but money talks... they've seen how successfuly the Kinect has been for Microsoft and they are going to go after it for sure.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sith View Post
    Wow!!!!!!unbelievable after saying Sony said motion sensor games did add anything to the gaming experience now they're jumping on the band wagon. Say good bye to move I gaurs tee that Sony will no longer support it.
    Not surprising really. Sony sees the success that MS has had with the Kinect and they want a piece of that pie. Just like MS saw the success the Wii had and grabbed some of that market. Edit - Dang it F34R types faster than me. lol

Thread Information