Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot

Sony: 3G Vita is an 'experiment' for the future

Sony: 3G Vita is an 'experiment' for the future

Sony testing the waters with always-on connectivity

Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida has said the 3G Vita is an "experiment" and "investment in the future".

A portable with a monthly connection fee is a new and understandably dubious concept for gamers, and Yoshida says Sony is fully aware of this.

"I totally agree with where you're coming from," said Yoshida. "It's a new thing to have 3G capability in a portable gaming system, and when we were working on the design of the hardware, it's true that we believed in what we could do with 3G, but unless we have the system in the market and developers can try things and get feedback from consumers...it takes years to experiment and find a new way to use it, but unless we start somewhere we cannot even experiment."

Yoshida says the 3G Vita represents an "investment" by Sony into the future of portable gaming, and that it will enhance the sociable aspects that are so core to Vita.

"So 3G is our investment in the future. I hope some consumers will believe in that investment of their money for the future. These systems last many years, and we will upgrade firmware, add new features, but it's not easy to update hardware," he told Industry Gamers.

"But the main purpose we believe in for having 3G in PS Vita is the social connectivity features that we have put at the center of PS Vita. When you open a game, you don't automatically start a game, but you're taken to one page which is constantly updated from publishers as well as your friends doing activities or giving you in-game items. So all that social connectivity is enabled by the 3G."

SCE president and CEO Andrew House has said the Vita offers a "much easier development environment" than its previously platforms which, along with digital distribution opportunities, promotes experimentation and risk among its developers.

[ Source: Industry Gamers ]
    Bolded is why im going 3G. Who knows what other features they will add. If its $#@! I let my service lapse, when something new and essential is developed, im in with a grin.

Anyhow, I think this was an interesting move by Sony. Not afraid to explore and take risks to pioneer the way.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I agree about the risk comment, but they're hardly pioneering it. They're seeing how the mobile gaming has been using 3g, and decided to copy that....

Stockholm Syndrome
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    I watched videos where people gave this as their reason for buying a 3G version which persuaded me to purchase one as well. Hopefully it won't be too long until we see some further development

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    3G data prices are bound to come down in the future. 3G is just fast enough but 4G would be better.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Master Poster
    Not a bad move from Sony

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    3G data prices are bound to come down in the future. 3G is just fast enough but 4G would be better.
    Don't count on it. Data prices are going up. 3g is on its way out.

PSU Technical Advisor
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Don't count on it. Data prices are going up. 3g is on its way out.
    I don't agree. 3G may be on it's way out, but due to the inherent speeds of 4G and how quickly users blow through their paltry data plan caps (which are basically 3G) there will be significant consumer dissatisfaction and outcry.

Due to this, the big companies (like AT&T, Verizon) will be forced to compete with one another yet again to draw users to their respective networks.

I could be totally wrong, but upping prices is a sure way to shoot themselves in the foot and earn the ire of their consumers and the tech-sphere at large.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    The prices are staying the same, but the data allowances are being cut. In essence, the price per GB is going up in this fashion.

They are going to do the same thing they did with the 3g data. Offer unlimited, and then cut it off and go to bucket pricing.

PSU Technical Advisor
    Where do you see this? I know that they're putting caps in place, but I've thought that price per GB has been going down- as it should given how cheap bandwidth actually is.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    Where do you see this? I know that they're putting caps in place, but I've thought that price per GB has been going down- as it should given how cheap bandwidth actually is.
    Well, right now it's a steady price. However, what I pay for unlimited, you can only get 2GB for that price now. I don't see the price going down any time soon. If there was a competitive nature about it, then we'd have seen it already. No, they mimicked each other basically. Verizon seemingly refuses to compete in prices, offering LESS data for the same money as AT&T.

AT&T

• $20/300MB
    • $30/3GB
    • $50/5GB

Verizon

• $30/2GB
    • $50/5GB
    • $80/10GB

The reason you won't see any real competition in the data realm is because the lack of choices in a lot of areas. While bandwidth is cheap, the spectrum isn't.

PSU Technical Advisor
    I agree with the lack of competition- More providers would definitely be a good thing. I really hope the market turns around though, because I hate the current companies in the field.

They screw you coming and going.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Yep, and it's not going to get any better unfortunately. As the saying goes though, they charge what people pay.

Forum Guru
    man, they need better PR. What a dumb ass statement
    Quote Originally Posted by Fake_PSN
    The Playstation Blog guys are jerks. I just asked them what they were doing for lunch and they replied "We have no updates concerning lunch"

Elite Sage
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2
    At the moment gaming online through 3g/4g is not viable at the moment. Cost of bandwidth and lack of coverage both see to that.

I still honestly don't understand why we have to pay so much for bandwidth and have caps.

The worst aspect of this is that these 3g services are only provided by one $#@!ing company in a region. And that means At&t can put any stupid fees and whatnot on the service. And they already SIM locked the PS Vita in the US, requested by At&t, looks like At&t invested quite an amount of money to make that $#@! move. I do not understand why all these limitations need to exist if they want to promote this freedom nonsense with their 3G service if I cannot choose other providers for my 3G service.

Thread Information