Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Soldier 95B

Xbox 360 Exclusive: Alan Wake: American Nightmare thread

Tomorrow is the big day! I will be playing this as soon as I get home from work tomorrow, but I will queue it up before I leave so that it is primed and ready

Alan Wake: American Nightmare Review from Eurogamer

Conclusion:

Remedy's starting point for this download-only experience was survival mode, apparently. Given the lack of multiplayer, that would have made for a less enticing sell; but with a solid five-hour narrative bunged in, the whole package represents excellent value for 1200 Microsoft Points.

More than that, the character himself simply feels more at home in this shorter, punchier, less laboured and self-regarding form. Freed from the weight of expectation that accompanies a full retail release in this genre, the experience - while lacking the set-piece spectacle and spookiness of the original - is less forced and more comfortably pitched.

As the title intimates, the story ends with question marks lingering over the nature of Wake's experience. But even if it really is his nightmare, our troubled writer is arguably better company asleep than awake.
    7/10

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...tmare-review_7

Launch Trailer

http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/alan...launch-trailer

and in related news

Alan Wake on PC make money back in 48 hours toppling Modern Warfare 3:

The PC version of Alan Wake made its money back within 48 hours of going on sale, Remedy has revealed.Alan Wake PC launched on Steam on Thursday, 16th February - nearly two years after the Xbox 360 version. It came with a raft of new features, including visual improvements, stereoscopic 3D support and multi-screen functionality - all for £23.

It shot straight to the top of the sales charts, beating out the likes of Activision's FPS behemoth Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3. At the time of publication (Monday, 20th February) 1350 people were playing the game on Steam, with a Monday peak of 2656.

Now, Alan Wake on PC has proved a profitable venture for Finnish developer Remedy, which self-published on Steam (a boxed retail version launches next month courtesy of Nordic Games).
    "We are very happy with the sales and hitting #1 on Steam at launch was nothing short of amazing," Aki 'AJ' Järvilehto, Remedy's EVP wrote on the developer's forum.
    "We recouped our development and marketing expenses during the first 48 hours.
    "And yes, we're certainly very excited about PC."

The game's early sales have also pleased Remedy writer Mikko Rautalahti, who said: "We're pretty happy with how things have been going this far.
    The PC version of Alan Wake launches on other digital platforms, such as EA's Origin, very soon.
    Alan Wake on Xbox 360 reportedly ended up selling close to 1.5 million copies.
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...ck-in-48-hours

How Remedy convinced Microsoft to let it make Alan Wake PC:

Alan Wake on PC exists because developer Remedy kept nagging Microsoft to let it happen. Alan Wake launched this week on Steam nearly two years after it released as an Xbox 360 exclusive - but it was announced way back in 2005 as a PC and Xbox game. "From that announcement our children were born and we started nurturing them, if I can use that analogy," Remedy head of franchise development Oskari Hakkinen told Eurogamer.

"Somewhere along the way one of our children got lost. We've now found him and our family is complete. "What I'm trying to say, to speak from the heart, PC gaming is part of Remedy's heritage, back from the first Death Rally that was made in a basement to Max Payne 1, which was made partly in a basement, and Max Payne 2. Announcing Alan Wake on PC was always an important factor for us."

As Alan Wake was being developed Microsoft secured an Xbox 360 exclusivity deal with Remedy for the title, or, as Hakkinen put it, "the stars became unaligned".
    That deal cancelled the PC version and focused Remedy's attention on creating a console game for release in May 2010. But that was nearly two years ago - plenty of time for Microsoft's Alan Wake console exclusivity deal to run its course.

"[The PC version] was something Remedy as a team has always wanted to do," Hakkinen continued. "We haven't been shy about saying that. So we've done everything in our power to try and get it done.
    "Microsoft gave us the blessing about seven months ago to do that. And from the moment we got that blessing we started working on it.

"Alan Wake was developed on the PC, of course. But when the PC version was dropped we were concentrating on the Xbox 360 hardware parameters. So the first thing we did was move those parameters to see how the game would work in a configuration that's much more powerful."

Remedy and an external fellow Finnish developer called Nitro Games worked on the PC version for five months, implementing a raft of improvements and additional features.
    But how did Remedy convince Microsoft - famous for striving to keep its exclusive games exclusive - to finally relax its position on Alan Wake?

"We were like a nagging little kid," Hakkinen explained. "Time is a factor, and having a good relationship with Microsoft. And also [inbound XBLA exclusive] American Nightmare coming out obviously extended that relationship with them.

"It was just a number of discussions with the right people, and then them saying, 'Yeah, we see you want to do that. We see it's important to you. We can let that happen there.'"
    He added: "Time has definitely been a factor on making it happen. Also it was the relationship and seeing we're doing more stuff with them as well."
    Alan Wake's belated appearance on PC might have given PlayStation 3 owners hope that the game will one day launch on their console - Remedy, after all, owns the Alan Wake IP.
    This, though, will never happen, Hakkinen confirmed.

"I know you're never going to see Alan Wake or Alan Wake's American Nightmare on PlayStation," Hakkinen said. "Those are Xbox exclusives."
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...e-alan-wake-pc

2. Likes Sub-stance1 likes this post
    Superior Member
    Putting it on PC was a great idea. More people playing the better.
    It's funny that in this day in age people can steal as long as they have a reason too. Even if that reason is created by the thieves themselves.

Soldier 95B
    Joystiq Review has rolled in:

Alan Wake's American Nightmare review: Paging Mr. Scratch

Conclusion

Alan Wake's American Nightmare isn't perfect. As he writes his own escape from the Dark Place, the tale ironically lacks the narrative punch of his first trek into the shadows. Even so, it invites us back into Alan's world, takes us on a new adventure and sheds new light on his predicament. The writer is correct: we love our characters, and if you love Alan Wake, you really don't have a choice. You must survive his American Nightmare.
    4/5 Stars

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/02/20/al...htmare-review/

And here is the final dev diary before the release of American Nightmare:

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/02/16/al...can-nightmare/
    Last edited by Soldier 95B; 02-21-2012 at 11:23.

Stockholm Syndrome
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    This is gonna be awesome, any news on what this will cost?

Soldier 95B
    $15, 1200 MS points in the US.

Stockholm Syndrome
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    That's good, I was hoping it wouldn't be any more than 1200 points

Soldier 95B

It's LIVE!

Download Demo Here

Buy Full Game Here

Downloading it as we speak!

does it continue from alan wake 1

Soldier 95B
    No, this does not continue from the Alan Wake story. However, it does follow the Night Springs TV shows that you saw on the TV's in Alan Wake 1.

So far, I am LOVING LOVING this game.

Spoiler for those looking to collect all the manuscripts.

I have not done the arcade mode yet, as I am sucked into the single player campaign. The story is indeed a departure from Alan Wake one...as in it is a bit more simple...but not in a bad way. So FAR, if you enjoyed Alan Wake 1, this will be fun for you as well.

Master Poster
    Items VitaLiverpool360 SlimPS3 FatGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    No, this does not continue from the Alan Wake story. However, it does follow the Night Springs TV shows that you saw on the TV's in Alan Wake 1.

So far, I am LOVING LOVING this game.

Spoiler for those looking to collect all the manuscripts.

I have not done the arcade mode yet, as I am sucked into the single player campaign. The story is indeed a departure from Alan Wake one...as in it is a bit more simple...but not in a bad way. So FAR, if you enjoyed Alan Wake 1, this will be fun for you as well.
    Downloading the demo, but i heard they took a little different direction with this( more tarantino) so its more action packed and faster paced, anyway does it feel a lot different and would you say so far its better or worse?

Soldier 95B
    Well, the game play and controls, and fighting is the same. Dark environment, story telling is there. One thing thing that is a bit different so far is that you press B to continue interactions with characters. Almost mini-RPG like. You didn't control the conversation sequences like this in Alan Wake 1.

Faster paced, I agree. There has been more action/puzzles so far in comparison to Alan Wake 1, so I would say it is more action packed if you look at it that way. The story in Alan Wake was confusing to me until the end of the two DLC episodes (and still was a bit). So far this story telling seems much easier to follow.

War
    Well. you had me confused there. Thought it was "Xbox 360 exclusive", but its arcade and on PC as well. Since it is only 15 bucks i may give it a try on PC. Hopefully, it allows better graphics options.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by War View Post
    Well. you had me confused there. Thought it was "Xbox 360 exclusive", but its arcade and on PC as well. Since it is only 15 bucks i may give it a try on PC. Hopefully, it allows better graphics options.

A console exclusive is console exclusive... trying to knock a title because it appears on PC as well, is just uber-irritating.
    LMAO

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by War View Post
    It's not on PC. You can leave the thread now. Thanks.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    It's not on PC. You can leave the thread now. Thanks.

Exactly, Alan Wake PC released as well, but Alan Wake American Nightmare is XBL exclusive.
    LMAO

War
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post

A console exclusive is console exclusive... trying to knock a title because it appears on PC as well, is just uber-irritating.
    Your opinion is noted, but you can't call something exclusive if it isn't exclusive. Maybe I should have a talk with my gf if our "exclusive" relationship means I can fool around.

I just honestly thought it was exclusive and I have to play it on Xbox, but it isnt, so I will prob be playing it on PC.

edit.
    ah. so not on PC. i am little bit more confused, but thx. Will wait till it becomes unexclusive and come out on PC then.

18. Likes TEJ2025 likes this post
    Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    It is simple war... if it can be played on one console and not the other, it is exclusive to that console.

PC ports are not console versions. Whether it be MS or anyone else. If the game appears on one console, and not the other, it is exclusive.
    LMAO

Soldier 95B
    No need to wait until it comes out on PC. You can play it on your Xbox right now and enjoy it. Cool.

War
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    It is simple war... if it can be played on one console and not the other, it is exclusive to that console.

PC ports are not console versions. Whether it be MS or anyone else. If the game appears on one console, and not the other, it is exclusive.
    Which I explained that it doesn't make sense. Calling something exclusive to something when it isnt exclusive. Lol.

It is really that simple. Not sure why twist and turn with words or wording. Next time just say "CONSOLE" exclusive. It's clearly different from real exclusives and it can avoid some confusion.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    nevermind.. not taking your bait.

drop the off-topic discussion
    LMAO

Soldier 95B
    Exclusive: Uncharted 3 (PS3 only, not available on any other platform)
    Console Exclusive: Splinter Cell Conviction (360 only, but available on PC)
    Timed Exclusive: Available on one platform before other platforms.

Those are my opinions. It's not uber-difficult.
    Last edited by Soldier 95B; 02-23-2012 at 19:45.

Stockholm Syndrome
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    who cares about trivial stuff, lets play us some sweet games!

Forum Elder
    War = Uber Madness ? seems like it is.

Anyway, Alan Wake American Nightmare is awesome ! I don't dig the setting as much as the first Alan Wake but still, the game is great.

Soldier 95B
    Anyway, Alan Wake American Nightmare is awesome ! I don't dig the setting as much as the first Alan Wake but still, the game is great.
    Finished it last night. Love the last two lines of the credits too
    Last edited by Soldier 95B; 02-24-2012 at 17:34.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Remember guys - no calling out rule.

Bring it to staff attention if you believe the guy to be a returning member...
    LMAO

Thread Information