Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 5
    Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    If Sony is scratching the cell. I wonder if they are going to go either AMD for both GPU and CPU or maybe even Nvidia for both. when companies go through another company for more then one thing, then the deals come out for that company. but really only for AMD/ATI, considering intel doesn't own NVideo it would probably be more expensive using intel.

I just don't want them going through IBM anymore for anything, ugh. I am hoping they will use PC styled CPU's for the PS4 rather then some whacky technology slapped into the PS3 just for testing purposes almost. o.O
    Last edited by Bigdoggy; 03-01-2012 at 23:41.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdoggy View Post
    If Sony is scratching the cell. I wonder if they are going to go either AMD for both GPU and CPU or maybe even Nvidia for both. when companies go through another company for more then one thing, then the deals come out for that company.
    I think they'll go with another CPU from IBM.

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    most likely not wrong on that front. they are kicking a few techs out right now and it's not just that power7 either.

maybe power8?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/08...oadmap_update/
    And what of Power8?

The previous external roadmap I got my hands from inside IBM didn't say much about the Power8 processor - which we should expect in the spring of 2013 or so - except that it was in the "concept phase." The latest roadmap sheds some light on what IBM's chip designers have cooking.
    We can tell you that with the Power8 chip IBM is skipping a 28 nanometer process and jumping right to 22 nanometers, and that the high-level design for the chip is complete and in the implementation phase (where the kinks are being worked out in the design and the manufacturing processes).
    IBM's roadmap says the Power8 chip will have more cores, larger caches, more accelerators than the Power7 and Power7+ chips as well as a fourth generation of the company's simultaneous multithreading (SMT).
    It is a mystery how many cores IBM will put on the Power8 chip, but the shrink from 45 nanometer to 22 nanometer processes should allow for as many as 16 cores to be on a single Power8 chip - depending on the cache size and desired clock speed, of course.
    IBM could try to crank clocks a little more and cut back to a dozen cores and fatter caches, depending on how it thinks the typical AIX and IBM i workload will make use of the cores. A Power8 system should offer roughly twice the oomph of a Power7 machine in the same class, socket for socket.
    Last edited by Bigdoggy; 03-01-2012 at 23:54.

Dedicated Member
    Perhaps a POWER7 derivative, like how the PPE is a POWER4 derivative.

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I'm confident in whatever Sony decides. PsVita gives me that hope. I'm not even going to get into the speculation and pretend like I know whats going on when I'm not a tech wiz

I'm thinking about this easier tech in the hands of Sony's first party studies. That alone has me ready to change my mind and want to buy one asap.
    Last edited by Two4DaMoney; 03-02-2012 at 01:13.

Destiny and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is all I need for the rest of the year.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    I'm confident in whatever Sony decides. PsVita gives me that hope. I'm not even going to get into the speculation and pretend like I know whats going on when I'm not a tech wiz I'm thinking about this easier tech in the hands of Sony's first party studies. That alone has me ready to change my mind and want to buy one asap.
    This.^^

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    I was kind of hoping Sony would go more pro-BC, and keep the cell and just make a better version

Sig&Av by Kuro

PS4 Preorders:
    FarCry4
    DragonAge3DWitcher3Order1886Uncharted4Batman:AKDyingLight

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    merged

Last edited by 33x; 03-02-2012 at 08:26.

Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenix View Post
    I was kind of hoping Sony would go more pro-BC, and keep the cell and just make a better version
    Same here. Its not like the cell is alien tech now. Also Sony would have saved much money from this. Might have just put in another PPE and some more SPEs at a higher clock speed. Although I wonder if the increased 'cores' would have made programming even more complicated?

Super Elite
    The Cell BE may not be alien tech, but developers treat it as so. So late into the generation and we have yet to see the Cell BE used in anything but a few select titles, most of them being Sony's in-house developed games.
    私は日本語がわかります。図書館で読みます。ビール飲みます。

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Nakatomi_Uk
    Items Intel Core i7PS3 SlimFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VII
    If Sony go with a CPU from AMD it will give the 3rd party lower end developers a chance to shine and really use there resources when creating games we all know that the CELL and it's dev kits weren't user friendly to begin with and costs where high for some 3rd party companies, with AMD it would use a more traditionally dev system one where they could easily program for and if they used a AMD GPU it would even more easier because AMD Fusion would come into play.

I cant see the PS4 using a 7xxx GPU I just cant it would be too old by the time PS4 comes out I'll be thinking a long the lines of 8xxx or 9xxx around next year. With power usage on current CPU/GPU's getting lower all the time and die shrinks more lower than the current CELL inside a PS3 cost shouldn't be as high as maybe it would be if say fab off the new CELL revision,.

Win 7 Ult 64bit, Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 Rev.1/Bios F8 , INTEL i7 2600k 3.40ghz, Crucial Ballistix Elite 8GB DDR3 1866mhz (1600mhz@1.60v), Crucial 128GB M4 SSD, Seagate 500GB 7,200rpm, Hitachi 1TB 7,200rpm (Back-Up HDD), HIS 7850 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E Card, OCZ Fatality 750 Mod PSU, LG DVD-RAM RW

Forum Sage
    It's a double edged sword as if the techs bog standard we will have more games on a similar level but we may not have games like uncharted. That really pushed the hardware
    WII FRIEND CODE = 5509 0447 7406 7959

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasimpse View Post
    It's a double edged sword as if the techs bog standard we will have more games on a similar level but we may not have games like uncharted. That really pushed the hardware
    That's true but there'll always be someone that will outdo the others.

With current gen, we generally find games to be good-looking and that trend may increase next time but I still think we will be awed and wowed.

Thread Information