Dav7DB

Heavy Rain (Student Film)

This is a short film I made for my film school interview, it was supposed to be a 2 min film that conveys some sort of message or sense of empathy. Mine is based on Heavy Rain and I thought this might be a place that would enjoy it. Please don't hate too much if you don't like it, constructive criticism would be nice, as opposed to the Internet's usual slew of swear words.

Also, if you enjoy please leave a thumbs up rating on youtube. It helps it get noticed.

Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVVbkSvQPBw
    Last edited by Dav7DB; 02-25-2012 at 01:42.

2. Likes Dave-The-Rave , Lethal likes this post
    Forum Guru
    Items User name style
    Pretty damn good!
    Vengeful is amazing<3

Veteran
    Items Dark Souls CoverMuseSteam
    The video itself was good.

My only criticism is that the facial emotion could use some tweaking. You're son has been kidnapped and you are about to cut off your finger. I'd say you looked cool as a cucumber in spite of the circumstances.

Enjoyed it otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Birbiglia
    Why would you go talk about computers when you could stay here and go skiing and your skis will be french toast sticks!

Dav7DB
    Quote Originally Posted by .RAID3N. View Post
    The video itself was good.

My only criticism is that the facial emotion could use some tweaking. You're son has been kidnapped and you are about to cut off your finger. I'd say you looked cool as a cucumber in spite of the circumstances.

Enjoyed it otherwise.
    Haha, that isn't actually me it was my uncle. His acting ability isn't that great. :P Hopefully if I get into the college I'll have access to better actors. And thanks btw, I've spent almost 2 years trying to hone my film making skills, this is really the first film people have actually liked I think.

Dav7DB
    Also, I should ask... What do you guys think of the sound? It's all fake, done in post. I've been trying to master 100% post sound because audio off of cameras is usually pretty terrible unless you have like 1000 bucks to spend on audio equipment, which I don't.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Are you applying to Media Arts for Sheridan cause your description shows similar requirements to mine. I also have to bring a 2 minute short film.

Dav7DB
    Quote Originally Posted by DreDayDetox View Post
    Are you applying to Media Arts for Sheridan cause your description shows similar requirements to mine. I also have to bring a 2 minute short film.
    Yes I am.
    Last edited by Dav7DB; 02-24-2012 at 04:35.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    The sound design is really good and I like the way you played around with the fonts at the beginning. I'm assuming you edited this in final cut pro?

Quote Originally Posted by Dav7DB View Post
    Yes I am.
    Might be seeing ya there. I noticed you have another video called "Jedis". I've seen it before because I go to school with Donald at Humber. My Media Arts interview is next Wednesday at 8 AM.

Dav7DB
    The sound design is really good and I like the way you played around with the fonts at the beginning. I'm assuming you edited this in final cut pro?

Might be seeing ya there. I noticed you have another video called "Jedis". I've seen it before because I go to school with Donald at Humber. My Media Arts interview is next Wednesday at 8 AM.
    Lmao, wow, creepy coincidence? I went to high school with Donald, still talk to him a bunch on Xbox.

Do you have your video on YouTube?

Oh and yes, I cut it in Final Cut Pro, and did the titles in After Effects.
    Last edited by Dav7DB; 02-24-2012 at 04:50.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Lmao, wow, creepy coincidence? I went to high school with Donald, still talk to him a bunch on Xbox.

Do you have your video on YouTube?
    Yeah man, as soon as I saw the details in your post I was thinking, "wait a minute, I also have a 2 min short film to show to a college" lol then I confirmed my thoughts when I saw your channel cause Donald showed me the Jedis video at the start of the semester this year in our adobe flash class lol

As for my video: I have a long, crappier version of it (this is before I knew I had to give Sheridan a 2 min vid) that I edited very quickly and it's pretty much a nature reel, or a documentary by media standards. I shot it myself in Europe last summer..unfortunately, some of the cuts suck. And the 2 min final edit of this, I can't upload because I have a copyright song attached to it.

That's generally some of the footage I have in my 2 minute short. I used the audio swap feature for this vid, courtesy of youtube, and they had this song. For the video on my desktop, I used Gorillaz' "Pirate's Progress" because it's also orchestral like Claire De Lune.
    Last edited by Lebowski; 02-24-2012 at 04:58.

Dav7DB
    Yeah man, as soon as I saw the details in your post I was thinking, "wait a minute, I also have a 2 min short film to show to a college" lol then I confirmed my thoughts when I saw your channel cause Donald showed me the Jedis video at the start of the semester this year in our adobe flash class lol

As for my video: I have a long, crappier version of it (this is before I knew I had to give Sheridan a 2 min vid) that I edited very quickly and it's pretty much a nature reel, or a documentary by media standards. I shot it myself in Europe last summer..unfortunately, some of the cuts suck. And the 2 min final edit of this, I can't upload because I have a copyright song attached to it.

That's generally some of the footage I have in my 2 minute short. I used the audio swap feature for this vid, courtesy of youtube, and they had this song. For the video on my desktop, I used Gorillaz' "Pirate's Progress" because it's also orchestral like Claire De Lune.
    Nice, I like that you had the sunset at the end. In your 2 min video i recommend you only use one sunset, at the end. It adds that extra little story telling bit. The guys there are big on story telling ability. This is my second year applying. Are you looking to get into cinematography?

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Nice, I like that you had the sunset at the end. In your 2 min video i recommend you only use one sunset, at the end. It adds that extra little story telling bit. The guys there are big on story telling ability. This is my second year applying. Are you looking to get into cinematography?
    Yea in the 2 minute one, I used the sun in the clouds and for the end, I used the train leaving, a little better edited than what was shown here. If they ask me what the message is, I'll say: Life in general. People nowadays don't stop to enjoy the little things or what our planet has to offer.

Something like that. Yeah, I'm certainly into cinematography, editing, directing, audio and writing. I've been to Sheridan before in their Media Fundamentals course in 09/10 and this would be my third time applying to Media Arts lol. It's changed since I did last time. Before, they required a resume with work experience in film or tv but now they're back to interviews lol.

Dav7DB
    Yea in the 2 minute one, I used the sun in the clouds and for the end, I used the train leaving, a little better edited than what was shown here. If they ask me what the message is, I'll say: Life in general. People nowadays don't stop to enjoy the little things or what our planet has to offer.

Something like that. Yeah, I'm certainly into cinematography, editing, directing, audio and writing. I've been to Sheridan before in their Media Fundamentals course in 09/10 and this would be my third time applying to Media Arts lol. It's changed since I did last time. Before, they required a resume with work experience in film or tv but now they're back to interviews lol.
    I plan on coming back for a third time if I don't get in, I'll tell them that too. :P I'm not sure whether or not I should tell them the videos based on Heavy Rain though... ugh.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    I plan on coming back for a third time if I don't get in, I'll tell them that too. :P I'm not sure whether or not I should tell them the videos based on Heavy Rain though... ugh.
    If they don't ask where the inspiration, then don't even bother mentioning it lol. But I'm confident you'll get in. I hope get in too cause now I'm having second thoughts about the Film and TV program at Humber.

Dav7DB
    If they don't ask where the inspiration, then don't even bother mentioning it lol. But I'm confident you'll get in. I hope get in too cause now I'm having second thoughts about the Film and TV program at Humber.
    My old drama teacher said he wasn't impressed with Humber grads when he went to go see some of their work. He said the stuff they were doing was no better than the stuff I do. I was originally gonna do Humber but after I heard that.... He said Sheridan and Ryerson are the best he's seen.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    My old drama teacher said he wasn't impressed with Humber grads when he went to go see some of their work. He said the stuff they were doing was no better than the stuff I do. I was originally gonna do Humber but after I heard that.... He said Sheridan and Ryerson are the best he's seen.
    Yeah apparently Sheridan is the best animation school in all of Ontario, or Canada even...When you go inside, they have all these posters of their alumni and disney/pixar films they've worked on. Even comparing the two just by interiors, Sheridan outclasses Humber ten fold. Much more cleaner, organized and less busy. And the equipment isn't always faulty or missing a piece lol. When I was there we did a short film and we had access to every resource, but Humber didn't even let us use boom mics for our shorts. The only reason I even applied to Humber's Film and TV program is because they have the co-op internship, and so Media Arts, so it's win-win, but Sheridan is still better lol.

Dav7DB
    Yeah apparently Sheridan is the best animation school in all of Ontario, or Canada even...When you go inside, they have all these posters of their alumni and disney/pixar films they've worked on. Even comparing the two just by interiors, Sheridan outclasses Humber ten fold. Much more cleaner, organized and less busy. And the equipment isn't always faulty or missing a piece lol. When I was there we did a short film and we had access to every resource, but Humber didn't even let us use boom mics for our shorts. The only reason I even applied to Humber's Film and TV program is because they have the co-op internship, and so Media Arts, so it's win-win, but Sheridan is still better lol.
    Oh yeah, I saw the those posters last year. They had like Star Wars and everything. It was rad. And to be fair the Humber thing that the teacher said, it was years ago so I dunno what it'd be like today.

Dav7DB
    Wow, Kotaku posted this.... Getting a lot of hate. people don't seem to realize I'm 18, and applying for film school....

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    I think the camera work and music was great! The emotion seemed to be missing as other have mentioned but I think you are very talented.

Also, this is test #3. He needs to be tired and frustrated at this point. He needs to be angry when he sees he needs to cut his hand off.

This is 100X better than anything I can film lol
    Last edited by Lethal; 02-24-2012 at 17:23.

Forum Guru
    Very cool. I can give the lead a pass since the technical/tone/direction is very good.

Good luck with your application!
    "Remember, you're young only once but you can be immature forever."

Dav7DB
    Quote Originally Posted by [DT] View Post
    Very cool. I can give the lead a pass since the technical/tone/direction is very good.

Good luck with your application!
    Thanks, a lot of the people on Kotaku are hating because of the acting. I don't think they understand that that's not me, and that the guy has never acted a day in his life.

Dav7DB
    Here's the Kotaku link if anyone wants to see.

http://kotaku.com/5887910/heavy-rain...?tag=heavyrain

Selected Members Council
    Thanks, a lot of the people on Kotaku are hating because of the acting. I don't think they understand that that's not me, and that the guy has never acted a day in his life.
    I wouldn't worry about it. A lot of people, myself included, don't like Kotaku either.

Nice video though.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Dav7DB
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    I wouldn't worry about it. A lot of people, myself included, don't like Kotaku either.

Nice video though.
    Thanks man.

Thread Information