Forum Guru

Is Sony Winning Vs The Middle Man Retailer?

This Buy 2 get 1 free got me thinking. Is sony winning? I never seen this promotion been giving for a launch! Sony won't release numbers for online purchases, but they do confirm when it has exceeded expectations(how real is that I don't know) and which are the top psn games of the month, etc.

With the pattern in japan, not alot of games are being purchased through retailers. If I read correctly on IGN, the attach rate (of buying a game with a console) was 0.92 ratio. Does that mean they are buying it online? Could it be that retailers sound the same trend coming over to the west started this to entice us to come shop at their stores(and not only buy games, but entice us to buy accessories, etc) Or could this just be an insider sony thing where they are telling retailers, do this promotion and we'll eat the costs. All to create hype about the vita.

Your thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fake_PSN
    The Playstation Blog guys are jerks. I just asked them what they were doing for lunch and they replied "We have no updates concerning lunch"

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    I think it's probably what you suggest toward the end; that Sony is willing to eat some of the costs. It would only benefit them in the long run, and it seems to be that they are relying on a very 'word of mouth' approach in trying to sell the Vita. They've had those Vita rooms in the US as well as here in the UK, plus GAME/stores getting Vita kiosks for people to get their hands on it

With promotions like buy 2 get 1 free running, as well as some retailers throwing in memory cards and other things, it would only help to peak the interest in the Vita for people that were on the fence, or people that don't really know it but see it and are like "I really want one of those". Like a domino effect. It would be wise for Sony to really push these kinds of promos and I think they will continue to do that as oppose to drop the price (which is what many seem to be waiting/hoping for)

Also, if I remember correctly, retailers in the states were also running this kind of promo when the 3DS was released last year, or maybe a short while after. I'm not sure
    Last edited by Nitey; 02-24-2012 at 00:00.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I think it's the retailers trying to make sure they sell the systems they purchased from Sony. With the amount of the system, the memory card, etc., they have to do this to make sure they sell games. Usually we see amazon lower the prices of new games, and in this case, they aren't, but are offering the bogo... Basically you'll get three games for $30, but you'll still spend $90; alternatively you only spend $40-$50.

4. Likes Nitey likes this post
    Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    I think it's the retailers trying to make sure they sell the systems they purchased from Sony. With the amount of the system, the memory card, etc., they have to do this to make sure they sell games. Usually we see amazon lower the prices of new games, and in this case, they aren't, but are offering the bogo... Basically you'll get three games for $30, but you'll still spend $90; alternatively you only spend $40-$50.
    Which leads me to believe that the vita may not be doing too had in sales if its a move on the retailers part. I could see it as a threat since PSN is cheaper, the number one selling memory card you see is the 32gb, and they sell out fast, which means most people initially plan to go digital. so I look at it as they saw psn as a threat. Amazon only did it because target and GS did. If they had the option, I don't thinkk they would, so I don't think its a sony internal memo sent out to companies to do the bogto deal

I wish we could see digital sales.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fake_PSN
    The Playstation Blog guys are jerks. I just asked them what they were doing for lunch and they replied "We have no updates concerning lunch"

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    We just have to wait and see.

Slight discounts $5-$10 AUD, for retail games vs high price of memory cards which will fill fast.

Most people I sell Vitas do plan to just buy physical because filling up various memory cards will be a pain. Just what ive seen.

Thread Information