Latest PSU headlines:

Super Elite

Why are cell phones constantly compared to the NGP?...

I always here these people going on about how cell phone games are apparently affected handhelds like the Vita. But the fact is that someone interested in handheld games are not exactly interested in cheap cell phone games. Not to say you can't like both, but the two are completely different experiences. So acting as if the two conflict each other or that they compete in the same market is pretty null and void. Any Vita owners seeing it this?
    私は日本語がわかります。図書館で読みます。ビール飲みます。

2. Likes Thorzilla likes this post
    Superior Member

PSN ID
    XSpike
    Because a lot of people are too blind to see how great the system really is. It happened with the PS3, it got bashed almost to death by the media but you look at it now! Its right on the 360's ass and getting ready to overtake. Now if the media wasn't so bashful, I'm sure the PS3 would of beaten the 360 already.

Sony/Sony gamers knows their in the game for the long term, people who work for the Media see everything as today, not tomorrow.
    Bow down before Drippy - Lord High Lord of the Fairies

Lol the media nowadays is just a load of bull$#@! with a bunch of idiots with neglible intelligence exercising their freedom of speech on a topic that has nothing to with and won't relate to anyone $#@!ing else anyway. I stick to forums for my news regarding topics like handheld systems or gaming in general.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Inzane2050 View Post
    I always here these people going on about how cell phone games are apparently affected handhelds like the Vita. But the fact is that someone interested in handheld games are not exactly interested in cheap cell phone games. Not to say you can't like both, but the two are completely different experiences. So acting as if the two conflict each other or that they compete in the same market is pretty null and void. Any Vita owners seeing it this?
    Maybe people realize they don't need such a dedicated gaming device to enjoy gaming on the go.... before decent cell phones came out, with decent experiences, the only mobile gaming experience was done on these portables. That's not so much the truth anymore.

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    i had a psp up until two months ago...now my gs2 provides me with some completely fantastic games..games like dead space and shadowgun...graphically superb, and compelling to play...games on mobiles aren't what they were a few years back..with dual core handsets, theres alot more power to play with..i have my ps3 at home..only thing thats changed for me is that i won't be buying a vita. i have mobile gaming covered with my gs2.

The dude abides....

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    I agree with you Inzane. On the other hand, a portable device that does gaming, such as the Android/iPhone's is usually enough to satisfy any ordinary person's gaming needs/itch, on the bus, on the train or whatever, so I see where the comparisons are coming from

It's a damn shame though how a lot of the PSVs pre launch discussions were literally about this. Almost as if it is incapable of offering the consumer any more than what a phone or tablet can, or as if that is not what people want (when clearly the sales of the 3DS show otherwise). It just has to be well priced and have that catalogue of games

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Why are you still calling it the NGP?
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    Azrael666
    Items DoomPlayStationDiablo IIIBlizzardDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    Quote Originally Posted by jj03 View Post
    i had a psp up until two months ago...now my gs2 provides me with some completely fantastic games..games like dead space and shadowgun...graphically superb, and compelling to play...games on mobiles aren't what they were a few years back..with dual core handsets, theres alot more power to play with..i have my ps3 at home..only thing thats changed for me is that i won't be buying a vita. i have mobile gaming covered with my gs2.
    Dead Space looks good on a smartphone but the controlls are just awful imo.
    The necromorphs are much slower and weaker then usual just to adopt to your lack of control.
    The touchcontrol-sceme just can't handle all the different functions (statis, use, reload, aim, walk, heal, kinesis, melee etc. etc.).
    1pixel to much to the left or the right and i reload my weapon instead of opening the door
    Not to mention that advanced games also need alot of power/battery life.

Don't get me wrong i also like to play games on my smartphone but only short 15minute bursts and simple games like AB or tower defense games.

I said it before and i'll say it again, smartphones will not kill dedicated handhelds, it's not even the same market imo.
    Last edited by Beast of Bourbon; 02-29-2012 at 14:06.

Master Guru
    Handheld's might kill smart phones tho lol Vita is almost a cell phone by itself,i wonder if it can also be a cell phone too at some point.I know it can be one with Skype and 3g but i was wondering also if it can use the card as a cell phone too...
    Good "night" my baby...i will always remember you.I love you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHZ2cooseqU&annotation_id=annotation_93283 5&feature=iv

Thread Information