Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

PS Vita UK Launch - one quarter of....

Well this is disheartening for sure:

Sales of Sony's PS Vita console got off to a "disappointing" start in the UK, it has been confirmed.

Week one Chart-Track figures reveal that Sony's new handheld device sold "around one quarter" of the number of the 185,000 PSP units shifted in the UK during its first week on sale back in September 2005.

Half-hearted

Although exact data has not been publicly announced by either Chart-Track or Sony, industry sources have confirmed that the figure is "just over half" of the 89,000 sold by the Nintendo 3DS in its first week almost a year ago.

With pre-orders of Vita reportedly around the 70,000 mark, Sony will be hoping that the generally positive critical reception to its new device will coax cash-strapped consumers into shelling out for its next generation handheld.

The news comes hours after Sony elected to publish a global figure for Vita sales to date of 1.2 million.

With total Japanese sales confirmed as being 578,812 on February 19th, the remaining 600,000 will have been split between the remaining worldwide territories.

Figures from other Western territories have yet to emerge.

'We all saw it coming'

Meanwhile, one senior source felt that the low UK sales should not come as a surprise.

"It's disappointing, sure, but we all saw it coming," said the source.

"Realistically, I think a lot of people can see it's technically a great system, but people just don't have the cash to shell out for the same game twice. A lot will be waiting for a true system seller before taking the plunge, or, more likely, be happier continuing to pay 69p for dozens of mobile games.

"The market has changed," the source concluded.
    http://www.pocketgamer.biz/r/PG.Biz/...ws.asp?c=38346

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Marcgear
    Items PlayStation
    Well I got one I'm sure sales will pic up been seeing a few adverts on TV of late too should help

Sent from my galaxy nexus using my fingers
    New member of the PS4 club

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Like you said in the other thread F34R, people aren't willing to pay this much for a handheld gaming device anymore. Especially after many got burnt last year with the 3DS - a similar price drop is now expected from Sony. That is when the sales will probs pick up

It's not a question of the games available, because tbh, there is plenty of games and very good ones at that too. Which is rare for launch

Master Poster
    Items VitaLiverpool360 SlimPS3 FatGoogle Chrome
    After seeing what Nintendo did i am waiting for a price drop, sales are probably worse than the 3DS so its likely, unless SONY are happy with the sales.

Also when can we expect an updated PS VITA to be released? the one with better battery and probably slimmer? Like they always do with their consoles.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I don't see how Sony could be happy with the sales, unless on a world wide scope... maybe.

Elite Guru
    2 years probably. It won't have a better battery, it will probably have a smaller one. The extension of battery life would come from making the components more power efficient

Tbh I don't really know what more they could do with the Vita hardware to make it slimmer. It's genuinely the perfect thickness - any thinner would cramp imo. Have to wait and see though, 'cos it is inevitable

Master Poster
    Just rubbish.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    I don't see how Sony could be happy with the sales, unless on a world wide scope... maybe.
    With UK always being one of the strongest markets it seems that the US were pretty strong in sales this time. Surprising.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    They have said (as I mentioned in the other sales thread) that they aren't looking at sales now for any indication of success. Also, they know the only ones who will pick one up now are the hardcore Sony fans and core gamers.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    They have said (as I mentioned in the other sales thread) that they aren't looking at sales now for any indication of success. Also, they know the only ones who will pick one up now are the hardcore Sony fans and core gamers.
    Yep, that video in the other thread explains Sony's perspective very well. All this kind of reminds me of the early PS3 and PSP days with everybody proclaiming its doom. Like the PS3 and PSP it will hit that magic number price wise and sales will open up. For now Sony has already stated that they expected the launch demographic to be very narrow so if they say theyre happy with the ww sales then they propably are. When they aren't anymore then we will see a price drop.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Sony clearly has room to lower the price on the device. I think they are making $100 on each one sold? Sony is playing it smart, just as Nintendo did. Get what you can out of the device during launch, then lower the price to reel them in. Price drop will happen by May I bet.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Nitey View Post
    Like you said in the other thread F34R, people aren't willing to pay this much for a handheld gaming device anymore.
    I don't understand why? The PS Vista is a $1000 device they can purchase for $250. What more does the consumer want? FREE??? With a bag of money attached to it?

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Tooth View Post
    I don't understand why? The PS Vista is a $1000 device they can purchase for $250. What more does the consumer want? FREE??? With a bag of money attached to it?
    Actually the PS Vita is a $150 device that we purchase for $250+

Elite Sage
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DS
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    Without adding in the expense of marketing packaging, transportation, store profit, etc. Sony probably aren't making much on every unit sold.
    |My Playfire|My Deviantart|
    - SIG BY MY SISTER-

Suicide Season
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    I really hope the sales do pick up, it's such an awesome piece of kit that Sony really deserves success with it.

16. Likes Nitey likes this post
    Elite Guru
    Cos of what happened with Nintendo last year. The average consumer that can wait will wait for 'that' price drop

Sony probably aren't making that much on the hardware itself, but the mandatory memory cards and accessories is where the money's at. The software attach rate doesn't seem that bad either at 2:1 so there's money there

$20 or something for a wad of plastic that holds the Vita? Cha-ching

I'm with Lethal-NFS on this one. They'll milk the early adopters for as long as they can. They've even said that their target market from launch and onwards is the 'hardcore gamer'. They should have left them self enough wiggle room to drop the price a tad and still be alright with it

The good thing is, despite how it sells, they have the foreseeable future wrapped up in terms of software. They proclaim '100 titles' in development quite a lot in the interviews I've read/watched so Vita has no games shouldn't be an excuse for poor sales

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorzilla View Post
    Without adding in the expense of marketing packaging, transportation, store profit, etc. Sony probably aren't making much on every unit sold.
    That's all factored into the price before hand, and I bet they are making a decent profit of each unit.

19. Likes Thorzilla likes this post
    Elite Sage
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DS
    That's all factored into the price before hand, and I bet they are making a decent profit of each unit.
    My bad then, I thought we were talking only about material costs.
    |My Playfire|My Deviantart|
    - SIG BY MY SISTER-

Superior Member

Sony also has to win over retailers too. A lot of places (K-mart) aren't even carrying it. Sony is allowing room for the retail chain to make money here as well. Remember electronics are a very low margin item for retailers. They definately have room to lower the price and definately will but I look for them to provide bundles and PSN vouchers first. Sony has definately said they measure success not only through sales. We live in a world of instant gratification. People expect things right now..Sony has plenty of time and probably would laugh at all the doom and gloom. We all would like to see more sales I am sure...but at least Sony has options for spurring sales by adding features and improving things through firmware, adding more games, cross-platform gaming with the PS3, bundles, and yes price cuts...they will be just fine. Nintendo didn't have that luxury. They can't upgrade the device or any of that stuff. All they could do was cut the price..we will see Sony do a lot of things and price cuts will eventually be one...at least they have room to do it with the cost structure of the device and still be profitable.

Elite Guru
    Due to proprietary memory and it's additional cost, I thought the unit became fairly expensive here in Blighty so cancelled my pre-order last year.

Soon as I can get the console and a decent memory card for around 150-180 I'm interested again.

Obligatory TapaTalk signature.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    If you think the Vita is being produced for $150 your living in another universe. All products are sold retail for 3x minimum the cost to produce.

An iPhone costs $500?
    A Blackberry costs $500?

And those are still subsidized.

$250 for a PSV is a steal, if its model of business wasn't based on attachment purchases it would cost nearly $1000.
    Last edited by Sweet Tooth; 03-01-2012 at 00:09.

Elite Guru
    $250 for a PSV is a steal, if its model of business wasn't based on attachment purchases it would cost nearly $1000.
    I'm not sure about $1000, but, let's hope that business model works for Sony. It certainly explains the grossly overpriced memory cards. Though, most people got a free memory card thanks to retailer deals/bundles. But yeah, let's hope that business model works out for them - it's about time they started profiting (more [often]) on their products

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    They profit enough off of accessories... I mean, like rape profit.

Superior Member

PSN ID
    XSpike
    Yeah not sure why people think Sony make such big profits on the PSVita at launch. Sony has there business model, which is VERY VERY different from Nintendo. Just look at the PS3...

Not surprisingly, Sony will be incurring a loss on Vita sales. In an interview with Reuters, Sony consumer products head Kaz Hirai said that the company expects to begin making a profit on the hardware within three years.
    (I don't need to provide a link, just do a google search there's millions of articles about the same thing) Remember that's just the hardware side of things, with software and accessory's they'll make making profit a lot sooner
    Bow down before Drippy - Lord High Lord of the Fairies

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    For now Sony has already stated that they expected the launch demographic to be very narrow.
    Sony plans on spending $50 million on marketing the Vita launch, "the largest platform launch" in PlayStation's history, according to SCEA's John Koller.
    http://www.ps3trophies.com

all that money they spent on advertising PSV says different.

Thread Information