Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    HitMan00

Sony explains discrepancy between US and EU PlayStation Stores

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...station-stores

Sony has, finally, gone on the record to explain why some games that launch on the US PlayStation Store don't make it to the EU PlayStation Store.
    It is one of the most frequently asked questions by European PlayStation owners - why is there often a huge difference between the content available on the US Store and the EU Store?
    Jawad Ashraf, from the PS Store Team, blamed this on licensing and localisation work.
    "Licensing, market and a host of other business and non-business decisions all play a part," he said.
    "What is often forgotten is the EU consists of not just one or two countries - it includes a variety (36!), meaning a lot more localising must be done. Certain games also retain licenses only in certain territories or have expired rights.
    "There's generally so many factors that can often lead to games being delayed or totally cancelled for specific regions, and sometimes this cannot be helped."
    The most high-profile recent example of this is Trine 2, which is still absent from the EU PlayStation Store some two months after it launched on the PlayStation Network in the US.
    Last month developer Frozenbyte told Eurogamer the PSN version was going through the Sony Computer Entertainment Europe QA process.
    Frozenbyte vice president Joel Kinnunen told Eurogamer he was disappointed Trine 2 didn't launch in the US and Europe at the same time because, in his opinion, both versions of the game were the same.
    Ashraf said there is often a lot of secrecy around when a game is released on the EU PlayStation Store or if it's passed QA because "QA is highly confidential information and we are not permitted to communicate it".

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    berts08
    Items User name styleManchester United
Gift received at 11-19-2011 from Cuguy
Message: couldn't find a reason the shop would deny you the purchase, so here ya go
    I can understand that but what is their excuse for the UK (England, Wales, N.Ireland and Scotland or are Scotland independent now?)

The UK is not part of Europe so we should get the games around the same time as America? No? If not we from the UK should get it sooner from Europe? No?

“Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” Arthur C. Clarke

PSN ID: berts08

3. Likes The Cage likes this post
    Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    UK falls into EU law

But man, I don't care. Just give me Chrono Trigger, Sony, please

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I dont know, EU store has Wipeout and MS RC demos and the US store doesn't. MS RC isnt even available for purchase on the US store. I assume it was a launch title wasnt it?

Superior Member

PSN ID
    XSpike
    I get the licenses but seriously if that's not stopping them from releasing games then Sony should just publish the game in all english speaking places at the same time as US. Instead of waiting for the company to make a German translation/everywhere else. I've seen it quite a few times where games on the PSN have been released everywhere in eurp apart from NZ/Aus for some even more odd reasons or games that miss a couple off countries from Eurp.

So why not release games that are in english, to english speaking countries. Its only uploading a file to a server, can't be that expensive to release games like that
    Bow down before Drippy - Lord High Lord of the Fairies

Elite Sage
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DS
    Oh you UK guys make me laugh almost as much as my north american friends do
    |My Playfire|My Deviantart|
    - SIG BY MY SISTER-

reaper of souls
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitey View Post
    UK falls into EU law

But man, I don't care. Just give me Chrono Trigger, Sony, please
    man, EU law can gtfo!

9. Likes Nitey likes this post
    Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    No $#@!, can't believe people can't wrap their heads around this.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

11. Likes Nitey likes this post
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    GlassGun
    Items American DadDaft PunkScarlett JohanssonNaughty DogPS3 SlimLucy PinderFinal Fantasy VIIDark SoulsPS3 Fat
    Quote Originally Posted by mankind View Post
    I can understand that but what is their excuse for the UK (England, Wales, N.Ireland and Scotland or are Scotland independent now?)

The UK is not part of Europe so we should get the games around the same time as America? No? If not we from the UK should get it sooner from Europe? No?
    Technically UK is part of the European Union so it does fall under EU Law.

And us Scots? We're not quite independent yet :P There is a referendum being held in 2014, which will allow Scottish Citizens to vote; For Total Independence, Against Independence, or Devo Max (More powers to Scotland from Westminster.)

Thus if Scotland becomes Independent, they will have the choice to join the EU or remain independent.

On Topic:

The US has many states with different laws, true? Yet the EU QA seems to take forever *rollseyes*

Current Signature Too Tall for Size Limits

60 Gig Sony Playstation 3 |Sony Bravia 52" LCD | 5.1 SS

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    If it wasn't fro Thatcher maybe we would have the Euro?

http://youtu.be/vef3QQQLrP0?t=2m52s

Forum Elder
    stop with the excuses Sony...

Frozenbyte vice president Joel Kinnunen told Eurogamer he was disappointed Trine 2 didn't launch in the US and Europe at the same time because, in his opinion, both versions of the game were the same.

15. Likes The Cage likes this post
    Soldier 95B
    Why would that be an "excuse". Clearly, for legal reasons, they are prevented from mirroring the stores title for title. Don't you think Sony would want them all on the store? That is just that much more money for them.

17. Likes AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    berts08
    Items User name styleManchester United
Gift received at 11-19-2011 from Cuguy
Message: couldn't find a reason the shop would deny you the purchase, so here ya go
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    Why would that be an "excuse". Clearly, for legal reasons, they are prevented from mirroring the stores title for title. Don't you think Sony would want them all on the store? That is just that much more money for them.
    Does microsoft not get games to all regions or are they like Sony?

“Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” Arthur C. Clarke

PSN ID: berts08

Soldier 95B
    Microsoft is unable to get all games to all regions. It seems like 50% of the time they are not able to get to other regions. They are just like Sony in this case. In fact, I would say that Sony is actually BETTER at getting their games out worldwide than Microsoft.

I understand the licensing part. Wonder what it would take for various games that are not available in the EU Store to get licensed, etc... , seems like it would be worth it to the mfg.

Soldier 95B
    I imagine every developer would like their games made available worldwide. Sony has amazing international influence, so no doubt they are trying hard to get the games available in as many regions as possible.

young rich and tasteless
    Items ChelseaPS3 Fat
    Quote Originally Posted by mankind View Post
    The UK is not part of Europe
    Yes we are
    "Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life"

Quote Originally Posted by dc89 View Post
    If this makes time travel possible I'll go forward in time voluntarily to get my hands on CoD34 and Final Fantasy Versus XIII. They come out in the same year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seahawkk View Post
    I dont think i could take a dick, 1. im not gay and 2 one time i stuck my finger in my butt to see how it felt and i wasn't very pleased with the experience

Master Guru
    It sucks that we can't all get the same content out of the PS store but Sony has their reasons. It's good that they finally shed some light on this.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrubs42 View Post
    The US has many states with different laws, true? Yet the EU QA seems to take forever *rollseyes*
    But: English is the defacto official language and there isn't a requirement for things to be put out in Spanish or French, let alone Spanish, French, Portuguese, German... Also, the states don't tend to vary as widely about what can be sold, and movies and games and music don't usually have to go through more than one licensing process. Those things aren't handled at the state level. That's two factors you have in the US' favor.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    GlassGun
    Items American DadDaft PunkScarlett JohanssonNaughty DogPS3 SlimLucy PinderFinal Fantasy VIIDark SoulsPS3 Fat
    Quote Originally Posted by bobtheduck View Post
    But: English is the defacto official language and there isn't a requirement for things to be put out in Spanish or French, let alone Spanish, French, Portuguese, German...
    Thanks for clearing up about state laws etc. Finally someone did

And you say about translation, but that is surely handled at the developer level before the game is shipped out as in most game credits it mentions the translation teams. So it is not a factor in time. However I can see why it takes longer via the licensing :/

Current Signature Too Tall for Size Limits

60 Gig Sony Playstation 3 |Sony Bravia 52" LCD | 5.1 SS

Thread Information