Latest PSU headlines:

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation

First Party Developer vs Third Party Developer?

If you could, would you develop games for consoles from first party of third party? Why?

Do third party developers make more than first party developers or something? I'm noticing a lot of big Sony first party developers losing big people part of the company or whatever.

If it's a stupid question, please forgive me. I love video games, but I do not understand the finances that go into video games.

Currently Playing: Pokemon X

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    1st party all the way imo! A lot of perks being first party like support; making collaborations like LightBox and SM working on Starhawk, how ND helped Sucker Punch on inFamous 2, and sent SM techs to help on The Last Guardian. Also you get full publisher backing, you dont have to worry about trying to sell ideas to publishers, Sony does it. I would definitely go 1st party if I was the head of a dev studio.
    Click HERE to create your mercenary and get exclusive in-game items.

THE GREY CARDINAL (eWar Merc) - COVERT SUBTERFUGE (Minmatar Scout)
    CEO of PSU GHOST SYNDICATE - PSU in-game channel: PSU GHOST

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    if I was a developer and had to choose between a First or Third Party company, I'd choose first party for one simple reason: First party games have far more quality in them then third party. Also doesnt hurt first party companies seem to be close

Sig&Av by Kuro

Summoning (Destiny of) spirits as I venture back into (FFX) Spira. With a bit of "Catching 'em All!" on the side.

PS4 Preorders: WatchDogsWitcher3DyingLight

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

4. Likes Ghost wishes they had posted this first.
    Elite Guru
    I'd choose third party.

Bigger market, larger audience and greater chance of profit.

Obligatory TapaTalk signature.

6. Likes Itachi wishes they had posted this first.
    Veteran
    With First party, you get to focus on one system and put all your resources into that one pool. It is the major reason exclusives are usually better in quality.

I would go first party all the way.

8. Likes RaY_210 , Ghost wishes they had posted this first.
    Soldier 95B
    No doubt, I would go third party. Third party will give me the opportunity to get my game out to more people. More people equates to more money (if you do the game right), which means that many more people will be able to have an opportunity to play something that you imagined. Sky is the limit to the type of game. Of course, the games would be great quality as well. I also like the fact that you are not restricted by the visions of the publisher. It's better that our vision can reach the masses, censor free.

Third party all the way.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    RaYU84
    Items Dr. DreDragon Ball Z3DSPS3 SlimNintendo 64TOOLPink FloydAC/DCFuturamaMetallica
    First party definitely. At least when it comes to Nintendo and Sony, their games are leagues better than most third part y games (I'm not saying Microsoft's games suck, but overall I think their quality is more comparable to third parties than the other two). Not only do you get the console maker's resources, you can also get help from them to get the most out of the system.
    Thanks to THUGGEDOUT for the sig, The Black Wolf for the av.
    Life's too short to be sober! Drunk with power!

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by *goo View Post
    I'd choose third party.

Bigger market, larger audience and greater chance of profit.

Obligatory TapaTalk signature.
    ^^^ this. I would be third party for sure. They are the biggest publishers in gaming and can get your product out to a larger audience like the quote says. They are the ones who contribute more to the industry.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by RaY_210 View Post
    First party definitely. At least when it comes to Nintendo and Sony, their games are leagues better than most third part y games (I'm not saying Microsoft's games suck, but overall I think their quality is more comparable to third parties than the other two). Not only do you get the console maker's resources, you can also get help from them to get the most out of the system.
    This.^^

Forum Elder
    Items User name style
    1st party all the way.

As long as you can say you can make enough money for a sequel, you can't say you were unsuccessful. And being 1st party has less headaches than 3rd, you have full financial backing, as well as a greater pool of resources because of other devs that fall under the umbrella.

You get to focus on making the BEST possible game you can, on one system, without having to worry about parity of quality between two different systems with two entirely different architectures, and having to worry about bug testing and quality control between two different setups.

14. Likes TheBreezyBB , RaY_210 , Itachi , Ghost , Two4DaMoney wishes they had posted this first.
    Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    First party. If you screw up big time the parent company will cover your ass. Unless you screw up time and time again.
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzyreactor
    Nothing more exciting than bringing home a brand new console and watching a download screen for a hour.

yay, next gen!

Superior Member
    I'd say third-party... they could be open to more ideas rather than a big publisher wanting games to appeal by dumbing them down or what have you. First party would equal more funds for the project but most likely exclusivity.

Dedicated Member
    It would depend on how much support my game would get as a first party. If I was guaranteed a certain amount of advertising then I would keep it to one platform for quality purposes. Otherwise I'd take the more exposure route obviously.

Common sense isn't all that common.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    First party, I'd say. Especially with Sony and maybe even Nintendo, with them at least I'd feel like I can have a good amount of creative freedom as mentioned before support. Wish I could speak for MS but haven't really payed attention to their first party devs....

Elite Guru
    i would say 1st party, because for 3rd parties if they game suck big time that's alot of money they wasted and it's also possible that they can go out of business.

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    ^^^ this. I would be third party for sure. They are the biggest publishers in gaming and can get your product out to a larger audience like the quote says. They are the ones who contribute more to the industry.
    ^^^^^this fo sho

TapaTit

Extreme Poster
    The question is that if you would develop for first party or third. Well, starting out, I would want to develop for first party...third party is obviously bigger and better but it's also very cut-throat. You won't survive out there or even be considered to be picked up. And if you start out on your own, you better have a badass game or no one will notice you.

If the question was, "Would you rather anticipate a game from first party or third?" The answer would be a definite 3rd party. But because it's talking about which party you would develop for, you want to go with the safest and the one that is supported more.

The reason why there are so many great 3rd party devs is because the competition is very high out there so only the best survive and even they fight for their shares. If I were an upcoming dev, I'd either wanna be picked up by EA or Sony.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    First part for me. My logic is that you can specialize towards one thing and not have to worry about losing quality over the transfer process between systems. Although you do have a more narrow audience, I do say quality over quantity any day of the week. ND didn't get as popular and liked for no reason. They are the perfect example of a first party dev that I would love to be apart of.

Currently Playing: ​ Skyrim
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Beyond: Two Souls

23. Likes Two4DaMoney wishes they had posted this first.

PSN ID
    5gnf45212
    More people equates to more money (if you do the game right), which means that many more people will be able to have an opportunity to play something that you imagined.

25. Likes Sub-stance1 wishes they had posted this first.
    Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Plenty of exclusives have outsold multiplats, so that's not always the case, especially if you're developing for a Nintendo console.
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzyreactor
    Nothing more exciting than bringing home a brand new console and watching a download screen for a hour.

yay, next gen!

27. Likes Two4DaMoney wishes they had posted this first.
    Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    Plenty of exclusives have outsold multiplats, so that's not always the case, especially if you're developing for a Nintendo console.
    And plenty of multiplats have outsold exclusives. However, if I created a game that I imagined, it would sell more on multiple platforms than it would if it was only to one platform. COD would sell half as many if it was only sold on half as many platforms.

So instead of me selling one copy, I would sell two copies Cuz I can't design a game lol.

29. Likes Sub-stance1 wishes they had posted this first.
    Dislikes Two4DaMoney is confounded by the utter nonsense of this most disagreeable post
    Ultimate Veteran
    frist party devs are the best they know how to use the console. thrid party devs just rush the games

Ultimate Veteran
    Items DreamcastPlayStationNintendoBullyGTA ClaudeFinal Fantasy IX
    First party developers, simply because you would be focusing on a single platform and it would be a less stressful experience with more support, resources etc.

Quote Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
    thrid party devs just rush the games
    Maybe if you work for Activision.
    Last edited by Black; 03-06-2012 at 07:32.

3DS Friend Code: 1349-4916-2054

32. Likes AaronSOLDIER wishes they had posted this first.
    Extreme Poster
    Basically it boils down to the fact how skilled your team is and how much experience they have.

Low XP + High skill = First party (safer) or third party (more risk + money).
    High XP + High skill = Third party is your best option.
    Low XP + Low skill = Hope to get picked up by either a giant publisher or first party.

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Items One PieceOne PieceAuronPS3 FatVitaNaughty DogFinal Fantasy XPlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by RedOrb_Collector View Post
    1st party all the way.

As long as you can say you can make enough money for a sequel, you can't say you were unsuccessful. And being 1st party has less headaches than 3rd, you have full financial backing, as well as a greater pool of resources because of other devs that fall under the umbrella.

You get to focus on making the BEST possible game you can, on one system, without having to worry about parity of quality between two different systems with two entirely different architectures, and having to worry about bug testing and quality control between two different setups.
    This.

35. Likes Ghost wishes they had posted this first.

Thread Information